Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

The face of street justice

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

The face of street justice

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-13, 06:54 PM
vol

Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Come to think of it, one may well have a fatal accident simply as the result of the bike light being stolen. I hope the thieves realize this.
Old 01-12-13, 06:59 PM
windhchaser
Banned.

Bikes: Felt nine flow

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
i was talking to some one about what they do in some middle eastern countrys.acorrding to him you can drop a coin and the coin will still be there a week latter not sure if i belive him but that would be cool
Old 01-12-13, 07:48 PM
vol

Originally Posted by windhchaser
i was talking to some one about what they do in some middle eastern countrys.acorrding to him you can drop a coin and the coin will still be there a week latter not sure if i belive him but that would be cool
How about dropping a large bill? just kidding Sounds nice, maybe because they'll cut off your hand if you steal?
Old 01-12-13, 07:51 PM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
How about dropping a large bill? just kidding Sounds nice, maybe because they'll cut off your hand if you steal?
They do this in Saudi, but only after 3 offenses, and each offense has to be documented and proven. So, not many hands get cut off.
But what I can say is that it works. I lived in the Eastern Province (Al-Khobar, Dhahran, Dammam) for 8 years and felt completely safe going out any time of day or night.
Old 01-12-13, 08:13 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Liked 355 Times in 178 Posts
You know - the guy was homeless and likely has serious mental/chemical addiction problems. I'm not trying to forgive crime, but before we all start advocating mid-eastern justice, let's consider what this guy's life is probably like.

Given some of the other aspects of radical Islamic justice, I'm pretty happy to live where I do - and I'm grateful to this country, and my parents - for setting me up not to live in the streets. Given how easy I've had it comparatively to most, I'm a little slow to root for handless thieves.

All that said, I find it hard to feel too sympathetic to a thief and I won't shed a tear.
Old 01-12-13, 08:45 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
You know - the guy was homeless and likely has serious mental/chemical addiction problems. I'm not trying to forgive crime, but before we all start advocating mid-eastern justice, let's consider what this guy's life is probably like.

Given some of the other aspects of radical Islamic justice, I'm pretty happy to live where I do - and I'm grateful to this country, and my parents - for setting me up not to live in the streets. Given how easy I've had it comparatively to most, I'm a little slow to root for handless thieves.

All that said, I find it hard to feel too sympathetic to a thief and I won't shed a tear.
You sound like a lawyer... But your Honor, it's his first time, give him a chance to reform... Really, you just cant give up on him, he will not do it again, he promised me to go straight, it was just a mistake, really, he was just "borrowing" it and would have returned it at the end of the day......
Old 01-12-13, 09:02 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

I sound like someone grateful to live in a country with mercy and justice...and who is grateful for being given so much compared to many others. I'm grateful not to live in a theocratic, barbaric, mid eastern hell hole that is being held up as a paradigm of justice.

I have news for you - our values and legal system are part of why we're prosperous.
Old 01-12-13, 09:39 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
I sound like someone grateful to live in a country with mercy and justice...and who is grateful for being given so much compared to many others. I'm grateful not to live in a theocratic, barbaric, mid eastern hell hole that is being held up as a paradigm of justice.

I have news for you - our values and legal system are part of why we're prosperous.
More like were... prosperous, now going bankrupt... But that's another discussion, even the legal system sucks now, where the lawyers started to believe their job is to get their "clients" off, no matter, if they are guilty or innocent, instead off what their job actually is, to make sure the system doesn't run over the innocent and railroad them... JMO as I see things.
Old 01-12-13, 10:12 PM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Don't get me wrong. I wasn't endorsing or saying I liked the justice system in Saudi, just that theft and street crime of any kind was unheard of.
They had some pretty messed up interpretations and applications of Sharia law, to be sure.
Old 01-12-13, 11:05 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by 350htrr
More like were... prosperous, now going bankrupt... But that's another discussion, even the legal system sucks now, where the lawyers started to believe their job is to get their "clients" off, no matter, if they are guilty or innocent, instead off what their job actually is, to make sure the system doesn't run over the innocent and railroad them... JMO as I see things.
It is exactly a lawyer's job to advocate for their client. It's an essential part of due process and its part of what makes us different. Compared to other countries we are doing spectacularly well - you are typing on the internet in a nation of enormous wealth. I think you should study what other societies are like - it might make you more appreciative of what we have. It's why people the world over enter lotteries to be here. We're the worst system in the world - except for all of the others.

The problem in this country isn't the lawyers - it's people who don't understand why they're necessary until they need one. The problem is uneducated, ignorant people who take things for granted, and who don't understand the nuance of our system but have opinions anyway. I don't think you understand how most people live if you call us bankrupt.

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 01-12-13 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-12-13, 11:31 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by canyoneagle
Don't get me wrong. I wasn't endorsing or saying I liked the justice system in Saudi, just that theft and street crime of any kind was unheard of.
They had some pretty messed up interpretations and applications of Sharia law, to be sure.
i know what you mean - crime is a definite problem here. Every system has strengths and weaknesses, and you have to weigh the outcomes. I think a society without mercy has some fundamental problems.
Old 01-13-13, 02:41 PM
Drv1913
Lazy vegan bicyclist

Bikes: Huffy Innsbruck (with the decals removed)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate a thief as much as the next person, but I really can't get down with the idea of giving someone two black eyes for attempted property theft. Can't really tell a whole lot from the article, though. I wonder if Kirk got belligerent when confronted by McDougal or if McDougal came out with fists swinging. Either way, I do agree that being a thief comes with occupational hazards that should probably be expected.
Old 01-13-13, 03:30 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by agent pombero
Awesome!! I can't stop the LOLS!

Excessive? No way. Excessive would be death. Keith Kirk received what he deserved. It could have been worse for Kirk...

Got me wondering if my Ulock would even fit around my neck like that... it does. Have to keep that in mind.
Old 01-13-13, 04:09 PM
windhchaser
Banned.

Bikes: Felt nine flow

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
thiefs get what the deserve i care a hell of a lot more about the poor guy rideing his bike to work and then some ******* steals his bike.thiefs are like parasites they take and take
Old 01-13-13, 04:49 PM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Think how nice would be if there was no bike thiefs go in to work just lean ya bike on a pole and go in
That's the way it was when I was a kid in the Southern California in the 1960's. Folks in our neighborhood left their keys in their cars, too, and we never locked our front door.

It's hard to believe how much things have changed.
Old 01-13-13, 05:24 PM
vol

Did anyone read the story I linked above in post #22?
Old 01-13-13, 06:10 PM
JPprivate
Very, very Senior Member

Bikes: 2012 Surly Troll, 1999 Hardtail MTB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was surprised to read this was 'grand' theft. I thought the limit was in excess of $2000. But after reading up some more it sounds like a couple of hundred dollars makes the theft a felony. That's somewhat of a relieve.
Old 01-13-13, 06:22 PM
canyoneagle

Originally Posted by vol
Yes. Pretty low, for sure.
Old 01-14-13, 02:31 PM
whitenhiemer

Bikes: 2013 Giant Escape CIty

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There was a case like this in Seattle, guy walks into a building and his bike lock is cut and his bike is swiped. A few days later he sees the bike on Craig's List, meets the guy in broad day light to verify that this is his exact bike and not a similar looking bike. After confirmation, he proceeds to take the bike back, and whoop some ass before calling the cops of his would be stolen goods dealer.
Old 01-14-13, 02:35 PM
whitenhiemer

Bikes: 2013 Giant Escape CIty

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by vol
Did they at least find the bike? Seems to custom for use but anyone but the intended rider. I don't see a legged man riding that down the street.

I don't even think that you could part that thing out for that much money since most everything looks either hand built, or modified to death to fit the application.
Old 01-14-13, 03:01 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 3,052 Times in 1,725 Posts
While the assault was justified, I get no joy from it.

And I happen to work in a place where I literally do lean my bike up against the building and walk inside. Some people bring their bikes inside, but that's too much effort for me. The building has an overhang, which protects my bike from rain.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-14-13, 03:20 PM
squegeeboo

Bikes: Specalized Tri-Cross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Think how nice would be if there was no bike thiefs go in to work just lean ya bike on a pole and go in
That's what I do. It'll burn me eventually, I even had another cyclist at the one remaining 'within the city' grocery store comment on it, 'Thats a really expensive bike, you're insane not to lock it'
Old 01-14-13, 03:27 PM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by whitenhiemer
There was a case like this in Seattle, guy walks into a building and his bike lock is cut and his bike is swiped. A few days later he sees the bike on Craig's List, meets the guy in broad day light to verify that this is his exact bike and not a similar looking bike. After confirmation, he proceeds to take the bike back, and whoop some ass before calling the cops of his would be stolen goods dealer.
Was he charged with assault?
Old 01-14-13, 03:30 PM
labas

Bikes: TREK750/TREK 790/TREK 7.5 FX/ CANNONDALE CAAD 9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A lot of bravado flying around here, much of which I can understand. However, I can't help wondering if everyone would be so eager to follow through with such "vengeance" were the perp a 6'5" 250 lbs gym rat?
Old 01-14-13, 07:43 PM
Ns1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by labas
A lot of bravado flying around here, much of which I can understand. However, I can't help wondering if everyone would be so eager to follow through with such "vengeance" were the perp a 6'5" 250 lbs gym rat?
moral of the story: don't steal bikes unless you can beat up the bike's owner

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.