Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Looking for the perfect (biaised) commuting bike

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Looking for the perfect (biaised) commuting bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-13, 09:40 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Liked 4,326 Times in 2,385 Posts
I like to fix up old bikes as commuters which is obviously not what the OP is looking for. But I recently fixed up a bike ( a 1993 Bridgestone X0-2) that has drops and 26 inch wheels. I've been very pleasantly surprised by how nicely 26 x 1.5 tires roll and how well they soak up road vibration. I like this set up better than the 700 x 32c I was running before. I've always thought that the 26 versus 700c debate was somewhat overblown (there are pros and cons to both) but everything else being equal, I'd take a 26 inch over a 700c wheel on a commuter based on my experience.
Old 09-13-13, 10:15 AM
mconlonx

Liked 135 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I've been using these for a couple of months now, and I highly recommend them. No more of the fiddling and scraping you get with BB7's and the stopping power is outstanding.
We just received and built up one of the Trek CrossRip Ltd bikes with the HyRd brakes. Much better braking than either the BB5r or the BB7r. BB7 is a benchmark for reliable and easy to adjust mechanical disc brakes and I've used them on flat-bar setups, but the road "R" version just isn't up to snuff. They don't seem to have got the pull at the brake lever correct, and must think that road riders are way more tolerant of brake rub than they actually are...

Part of the reason I am not yet real hot on road bikes with disc brakes -- caliper technology is just not there yet, the capable systems are the anomaly, not the norm. Couple years, maybe even '15, and things should be better. Until then, for a road-oriented bike, certainly for a drop bar bike with brake/shifter units, I'm still a big advocate of rim brakes.
Old 09-13-13, 11:56 AM
NoTrail
Trail Blazing

Bikes: No.22 Great Divide Disc, Specialized Epic EVO, Niner RLT 9 Steel, Cannondale RT2 Tandem

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chaadster
NoTrail, you just about blew my mind, there...I read Specialized and saw the pic and thought, "Holy ****! It's a whole new world if Specialized is comin' with that!" but of course, it was the Firefly. Utterly gorgeous. Super. Killer. Oh, where is my money!!
Sorry to have mislead you for a moment there. That's really funny. I'm a big fan of Specialized but what they build and what Firefly build are still two different worlds.
Old 09-13-13, 04:06 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Liked 4,301 Times in 1,584 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
BB7 is a benchmark for reliable and easy to adjust mechanical disc brakes and I've used them on flat-bar setups, but the road "R" version just isn't up to snuff. They don't seem to have got the pull at the brake lever correct, and must think that road riders are way more tolerant of brake rub than they actually are...
That's exactly my experience with BB7's. The MTB BB7's with Avid Speed Dial levers provided very good braking -- much better than I've experienced with BB7 road.
Old 09-13-13, 04:20 PM
MichaelW

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I dont think drop bars are really workable with all that low maintenance utility gear. The drop bar shifters for alfine are clunky compared to thumb shifters and the brake pull, as stated, is not matched to the brakes.
You can build a fast commuter using flat bars, trekking/butterfly bars or a swept-back flat (On One Mary)
I use Alfine 8 and Shimano dynohub with B&N lamps. The gears are very little trouble, the chainline and lack of pulleys means it runs cleaner than derailleurs. Wheel changes are a tiny bit more complex but nothing to sweat over. The dynohub is a real fit and forget item, no battery management of security issues. I have had batteries stolen before but no-one messes with dynamos. Connecting the wire for wheel removal is trivial.
Gates carbon drive is good in theory but needs attention to the chainline and tension and beware of aluminium rear sprockets, the 3-tab mounting system is designed for steel and al can break under stress.
Old 09-13-13, 04:58 PM
CaptCarrot

Bikes: Heavily modded Cannondale Hooligan 1 (2009) and an upgraded Raleigh Max Zero-G

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I quite like this
Creme Ristretto Doppio

Or this
Farrad Manufaktur Simplicity
Old 09-13-13, 05:21 PM
Yosemite Sam

Bikes: Trek Soho, GT Windstream

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Be advised the Trek Soho has been discontinued for 2014.

I got mine today.

-- Sam