Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Where Did You Ride or Walk Today?

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Where Did You Ride or Walk Today?

Old 01-09-14, 02:19 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
Talking about wind and bridges (in another thread) is it safe to walk over that?
That bridge is one of the reasons why I mentioned wind in the other thread. It is always windier on the bridge than along the foreshore, or elsewhere, on either side.

If it is fairly calm, and depending on the direction the wind is blowing, walking can be all right ... little bit gusty but not too bad. But the first time we walked it after moving here, it was quite windy, and that is a challenge. The wind just takes the breath right out of you, and it is tough going. Fortunately the railings are high ... above my head ... so we won't likely be blown off the bridge.

As for cycling ... I've tried to cycle it several times, but have only successfully managed to stay on the bicycle for one crossing, in one direction. Every other time, I've been off and walking soon after starting to ride ... just too gusty for me. Rowan can make it across, but he's got a lot more upper body strength.

And last weekend, we were planning to cycle it (or attempt to, in my case), but the wind was gusting up to 100 km/h (again), and so we opted to put the bicycles in the van and drive across. Just a bit too scary to cycle or walk in those winds.
Old 01-09-14, 06:39 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Oh, and ... another day walking home. Good for the bones!

Today, the sea breezes were fairly light and coming from the south. I walked on the north side of the bridge and the wind wasn't too bad. Same as yesterday. But the first two days this week were a bit of an adventure with the wind.

Plus, of course, I walk at lunch every day ... sometimes to do a bit of shopping and run errands, sometimes to see the sights, sometimes just for a walk because it is good to get out of the office and move.
Old 01-10-14, 05:30 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Another day of walking home after work ... and walking at lunch. That brings my total walking distance this week so far to a little bit over 30 km.

At lunch, I walked to visit an art gallery ... and then I sat out in the sun and read for a little while. It was a gorgeous 30C out there today.
Old 01-13-14, 06:55 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Today's walking totalled 5 km ... 1 km round trip to the cardiologist, and 4 km home over the bridge.

I did quite a bit of cycling over the weekend, recreationally and for fitness, so it was nice to just walk today.
Old 01-13-14, 07:28 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Today's walking totalled 5 km ... 1 km round trip to the cardiologist, and 4 km home over the bridge.

I did quite a bit of cycling over the weekend, recreationally and for fitness, so it was nice to just walk today.
I'm glad you're able to ride again!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-14-14, 02:21 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Roody
I'm glad you're able to ride again!

I'm as slow as molasses on a cold winter day ... but managed 87 km this past weekend:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...orts-Jan-11-12
Old 01-15-14, 02:16 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Still walking home after work.

Anyone else walking, cycling ... skiing ... these days??
Old 01-15-14, 02:18 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 95 Posts
With the temperatures rising to above freezing things are wet and icy and the accumulated snow is like oatmeal... I took my Raleigh 20 down to the shop tonight and did really well (it has studded tyres) save for the places where the bike sunk down 4-5 inches but that is why god made sidewalks.

The main roads are clearer and were just wet...the side streets are a boggy mess.
Old 01-15-14, 03:58 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
With the winter storm today, I decided to take a break from cycling and go about my business on foot. We got about 5 inches - not much, but more than the good folks of Western Wisconsin are used to. Since I didn't have far to go, sharing an unplowed road seemed unnecessary.

I went to a coffee shop with some projects to work on, then to Walgreens to pick up some items: about 2.75 miles total.

Downtown La Crosse with some snow:
Old 01-15-14, 04:07 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by wipekitty
With the winter storm today, I decided to take a break from cycling and go about my business on foot. We got about 5 inches - not much, but more than the good folks of Western Wisconsin are used to. Since I didn't have far to go, sharing an unplowed road seemed unnecessary.

I went to a coffee shop with some projects to work on, then to Walgreens to pick up some items: about 2.75 miles total.

Downtown La Crosse with some snow:
Interesting picture of LaCrosse. Four story buildings wit shops on the first floor and offices and apartments above. Built right next to the sidewalk. That's exactly the type of architecture that J. H. Crawford says is perfect for a carfree city!

https://www.carfree.com

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-15-14, 06:02 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
With the temperatures rising to above freezing things are wet and icy and the accumulated snow is like oatmeal... I took my Raleigh 20 down to the shop tonight and did really well (it has studded tyres) save for the places where the bike sunk down 4-5 inches but that is why god made sidewalks.

The main roads are clearer and were just wet...the side streets are a boggy mess.
I remember those days!!
Old 01-15-14, 07:48 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver

There was so much back lash against the power company for mishandling the previous ice storm. Now the mayor is walking on eggs to make sure the second snow storm was handled well so he won't get backlash also. For example, they plowed the side streets within 24 hours after the snow stopped falling, instead of the usual 48-72 hours. Then they came back a second time and scraped the side streets right to the curbs! So even though it was a bad storm, the effect was fairly minimal. Riding is no problem now, other than the bad visibility caused by the big snow berms along the roadsides.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-15-14, 09:37 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

There was so much back lash against the power company for mishandling the previous ice storm. Now the mayor is walking on eggs to make sure the second snow storm was handled well so he won't get backlash also. For example, they plowed the side streets within 24 hours after the snow stopped falling, instead of the usual 48-72 hours. Then they came back a second time and scraped the side streets right to the curbs! So even though it was a bad storm, the effect was fairly minimal. Riding is no problem now, other than the bad visibility caused by the big snow berms along the roadsides.
This is unusually warm weather for January where it rarely gets above freezing and the forecast is calling for double digits and above freezing temps for the nest week... one might think this was a sign of global warming.
Old 01-18-14, 06:27 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Today's was an 81.86 km recreation/training ride, right from home, no car involvement ... to the next town for lunch and back.

The first and last thing we did on the ride was to cycle across that bridge ... the one in the picture a few posts above. As I mentioned there, I've tried to remain on my bicycle across that bridge several times but had only successfully done it once. Today, I did it both ways. It involved a lot of focus and deep breathing techniques, and I got quite wobbly several times on the way back because of the wind gusts ... but I made it.
Old 01-18-14, 07:18 AM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Interesting picture of LaCrosse. Four story buildings wit shops on the first floor and offices and apartments above. Built right next to the sidewalk. That's exactly the type of architecture that J. H. Crawford says is perfect for a carfree city!

https://www.carfree.com
I can just imagine that photograph with trams, a bike path, ample space for pedestrians and, above all, without all of those ugly, smelly cars. What a blight!
Old 01-18-14, 07:23 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Ekdog
I can just imagine that photograph with trams, a bike path, ample space for pedestrians and, above all, without all of those ugly, smelly cars. What a blight!
Where did you ride or walk today, Ekdog?
Old 01-18-14, 07:50 AM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Where did you ride or walk today, Ekdog?
As is my wont on Saturdays, I cycled from my home in the center of Seville to the village of Santiponce, which contains the ruins of the Roman city of Italica and the Monastery of San Isidoro del Campo.

No time for sightseeing today, though, as I was there on business. The ride there and back (about 20 kms. along bike paths and a backroad with very little traffic) was pleasant: sunny on the way out and only light rain coming back.

I often encounter pilgrims when I ride out there, as this is the first leg of the Vía de la Plata for those who are walking or pedalling from Seville to Santiago de Compostela, but there were none today.
Old 01-18-14, 04:44 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Ekdog
What I really hoped to capture in that picture was "wow, look at those streets! Wouldn't it be so much more pleasant to walk or bike than have to focus on driving?"

My only walk today was up and down the steps with a shovel and salt: it was actually warm enough for the salt to work. This will hopefully make my next trip down with the bike a bit less dangerous.
Old 01-18-14, 05:48 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3939 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 87 Posts
Twelve trips from my back yard to the front including an 8 foot climb up icy concrete steps, carrying cut up branches downed in our December ice storm.

The hard part was not putting my eye out, with all the jagged, branching pieces.
Old 01-18-14, 07:31 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Home from church, about 1.5 miles. I walked.
Old 01-18-14, 09:08 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Lazy day, resting up from three 12 hour midnight shifts in a row. I didn't go anywhere except Tim Hortons for a large coffee and a turkey sausage on bagel. I had coupons for both, but forgot to take them with me so I paid full price.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-18-14, 09:22 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

I rode 20 km / 12 miles to go to the farmer's market and to run a few errands... was the longest ride I have taken in quite a while and it was a balmy 9C / 48 F today which is almost a record high for January.

Old 01-18-14, 10:47 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

I also rode 20 km today, and it was a chilly 16C. My 20 km ride took me to the outdoor fitness equipment where I did quite a good workout.
Old 01-21-14, 03:51 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

I'm walking home from work again this week.

And today, I walked 2.75 km at lunch too ... to take care of a little business.

All up, I walked 6.75 km today.
Old 01-21-14, 06:34 AM
lenA
Banned

Bikes: 2011 Surly LHT 2005 LeMond Zurich

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Snowshoeing in the Mississippi River bottoms.. 3 miles

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.