Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Long Island: Good Ride Today?

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Old 06-01-14, 07:26 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 135 Posts

I don't know if anyone has tried to start this thread before, but the one for Metro Boston is so active and seems to be such a good resource for cyclists, I thought it was a no-brainer to see if we Long Islanders might be able to build our own "Good Ride" thread.

So, where did YOU ride today?
Old 06-02-14, 08:37 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3179 Post(s)
Liked 2,006 Times in 1,149 Posts
Tobay Beach from Merrick and points west.

It was a late start at 10, so the path was VERY busy, thus we were attempting to hold the speed down and ride carefully. My nephew, riding in front, had a very close call with an older rider who lost his hat to the wind, then made a hard left turn across the path (of everyone) to recover hat. Nephew just missed and got passed Mr. Lost Hat. I slammed on the brakes and missed Mr. Lost Hat as well, who went tumbling into the weeds. He soft landed so was OK. Anther near miss on the JB to Tobay section when some numbnut on the wide handlebar beach cruiser, riding in tank top and flip flops, AGAIN makes a hard left against passing traffic. Tank top was cruising at maybe 3mph with a group, we were calling "PASSING" religiously at this point. Some words were exchanged between Tank Top and our third rider in the group.

Puzzled at seeing countless "roadies" attempting to get in their morning 1 hr. - 25 miler at tempo, including one rider who's helmet was firmly attached to the front of the stem. I mean why bother ?, it's not that hot out, just leave it in the car. Wanted to look like a euro pro spinning to the start of that days stage I guess.

Bottom line is the extension to East Bast House, as well as the huge crowds heading to Tobay means this is a huge success, money very well spent. And no place to attempt any speed much over 12-13 on Sunday morning, 'Ya Think ?
Old 06-02-14, 02:41 PM
Papa Tom

Sunday, I did a slow coast with my wife along the Bethpage, from Merrick Road to the shopping center just before the path starts to skirt the Bethpage Parkway. No effort at all, but a great reminder of how cool this area is becoming for recreational cycling.

Last edited by Papa Tom; 06-02-14 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-02-14, 05:29 PM
Billy1111

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad, Parlee ESX, Factor o2,Colnago CX Zero Disc,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i actually did from cedar creek to tobay today for the first time..was a nice ride... nicely maintained ...a lil windy heading there but lovely the way back
Old 06-02-14, 05:34 PM
Billy1111

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
sat did 84 st to floyd bennett and sunday did 84 st to ft tilden......i really like this run and its close to me ....guys are actually trying to pass you on that marine pkwy bridge with trafffic coming each way and its about 3ft wide....i felt like stiff arming one of 'm
Old 06-03-14, 05:18 PM
Papa Tom

Hmmm...I thought this thread would take off a little faster than it has.

OK, well I rode out to Teddy Roosevelt Beach in Oyster Bay tonight, after work. It's a quick ride that uses a quiet street in Laurel Hollow that ends with a short nature preserve, in which there's an aged, but rideable paved/dirt path. After that, it's a two-lane country road all the way into Oyster Bay. The sky turned a spooky black while I was down there, so I left the beach almost immediately. Stopped by to take a peak at the Tuesday night classic car display on South Street, but left when I heard a clap of thunder. Now I'm home and it STILL hasn't rained.
Old 06-06-14, 03:42 PM
Billy1111

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
started at sunnyside trailer view and went to jones beach...going to sleep now
Likes For Billy1111:
Old 06-06-14, 05:25 PM
Papa Tom

Whoa! You've beat ME, then. I've been fantasizing about the day I have time to do that whole run. So far, I can't piece together a big enough chunk of hours.
Old 06-06-14, 06:46 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

I convinced 2 of my riding buddies to take today off. We trucked up to Tarrytown this morning and rode the Old Croton Aqueduct trail, from just south of the NY State Thruway (Sheldon Ave, in N. Irvington) south to Yonkers at Rt 9 and Ashburton Ave. and back, 19 miles RT.

One rider had just purchased a Kona Rove cyclo-cross bike, the other guy rode his hard tail mt. bike, I was on my tourer with 32mm cross tires, all perfect for the conditions, which is dirt surface, occasional roots, rocks, curbs, etc.... This not really a good route for road bikes with 23mm tires as BTW. Doable but you work harder.

Great ride, wonderful views of the Palisades and Hudson River. When I did this trail 2 weeks ago with a Westchester buddy, it was on a Sunday afternoon. The path was very busy and had a LOT of cyclists on it, which surprised me as it's not really a cycling path. Today we only encountered occasional runners and walkers, a few dog walkers and almost no cyclists.

This trail is very well served by Metro-North at a bunch of stations, from Yonkers to Ossining, so lot's of options. As well it's possible to connect to the North and South County trails for a loop.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Cr...d_Croton_Trail
Old 06-06-14, 06:52 PM
Billy1111

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
I convinced 2 of my riding buddies to take today off. We trucked up to Tarrytown this morning and rode the Old Croton Aqueduct trail, from just south of the NY State Thruway (Sheldon Ave, in N. Irvington) south to Yonkers at Rt 9 and Ashburton Ave. and back, 19 miles RT.

One rider had just purchased a Kona Rove cyclo-cross bike, the other guy rode his hard tail mt. bike, I was on my tourer with 32mm cross tires, all perfect for the conditions, which is dirt surface, occasional roots, rocks, curbs, etc.... This not really a good route for road bikes with 23mm tires as BTW. Doable but you work harder.

Great ride, wonderful views of the Palisades and Hudson River. When I did this trail 2 weeks ago with a Westchester buddy, it was on a Sunday afternoon. The path was very busy and had a LOT of cyclists on it, which surprised me as it's not really a cycling path. Today we only encountered occasional runners and walkers, a few dog walkers and almost no cyclists.

This trail is very well served by Metro-North at a bunch of stations, from Yonkers to Ossining, so lot's of options. As well it's possible to connect to the North and South County trails for a loop.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Cr...d_Croton_Trail
looks like another for my list!!
Likes For Billy1111:
Old 06-06-14, 07:09 PM
Papa Tom

I like to ride north on the South County, then loop back on the Croton Aqueduct. Westchester is a great place to ride. Billy: I don't remember...have you been to my website? nyrides.freehosting.net

It lists a lot of the kinds of rides you like.
Old 06-07-14, 05:49 AM
Billy1111

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
I like to ride north on the South County, then loop back on the Croton Aqueduct. Westchester is a great place to ride. Billy: I don't remember...have you been to my website? nyrides.freehosting.net

It lists a lot of the kinds of rides you like.
yes i have gone thru it...it has helped me alot!! ty!!
Old 06-07-14, 07:37 AM
Papa Tom

A little out-dated, as my work schedule has kept me from visiting many of the locations on a regular basis. But it should give you a good idea of what's out there. I'm always looking for updates and info on new trails (the one that skirts the Hutchinson Parkway???), so please feel free to contribute (info, not money!).
Old 06-07-14, 02:15 PM
Billy1111

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A little out-dated, as my work schedule has kept me from visiting many of the locations on a regular basis. But it should give you a good idea of what's out there. I'm always looking for updates and info on new trails (the one that skirts the Hutchinson Parkway???), so please feel free to contribute (info, not money!).
I used your site once i got rolling! Like i said my ride is the belt pkwy if u need any updating on that let me know....thou u look its basically the same as u got it!

as for today just went from 84 st to canarsie pier and relaxed there for a little bit....my legs still need to recover more :/
Old 06-07-14, 05:39 PM
Papa Tom

Canarsie Pier had a great pizza stand for a while. Is it still there? And how are the checker tables holding up?
Old 06-07-14, 06:22 PM
Billy1111

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Canarsie Pier had a great pizza stand for a while. Is it still there? And how are the checker tables holding up?
if its the Seagate ravioli pizza truck then yes its still there as well as tons of guys fishing that never catch anything

checkers tables always seem to have a crowd and kites that are so far up planes might hit'm
Old 06-07-14, 07:05 PM
Papa Tom

No. It was a "permanent" pizza stand in the building next to the catering hall that had an awesome authentic Brooklyn Sicilian slice. I think there may have also been an Italian ice stand next door. That pizza was so much better than the best Long Island pizza. Enough to draw me out to that bikeway several times a year.

Funny thing about the fisherman...They all fish off that pier, but if you ride the bikeway just outside the park, there's a sign warning that the fish in that same body of water are not safe to eat.
Old 06-19-14, 06:56 PM
Papa Tom

I've had to carry a sound system to work the past four days, so I haven't ridden to work all week. Then, at night, I've been vegging out with my wife at Teddy Roosevelt Beach instead of getting on the bike. Tomorrow (Friday the 20th), all I need to bring to work is me - and the weather is supposed to be conducive to biking - so I hope my bones can still handle the commute.

Otherwise, the weekend looks good and my wife has a few things she wants to do without me. That means I've got some saddle time coming. Can anybody suggest a good ride?
Old 06-19-14, 07:38 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Going for a early morning ride. Leaving from Massapequa and heading north to Cold Spring Harbor and back.

Heading out 6:00am if anyone is interested... post up before I go to bed.

Did this ride Yesterday: Untitled by glennring at Garmin Connect - Details
Old 06-20-14, 07:37 AM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by oldnslow2
Going for a early morning ride. Leaving from Massapequa and heading north to Cold Spring Harbor and back.

Heading out 6:00am if anyone is interested... post up before I go to bed.

Did this ride Yesterday: Untitled by glennring at Garmin Connect - Details
Oldnslw2, that's a route I use a lot out of Freeport, or a goodly chunk of it. When I'm up on Round Swamp, I tend to use either Mannetto Hill Rd., or W. Mill to link Round Swamp to Plainview, thus avoiding Jerusalem.

As well, if you want to miss the Farmingdale - Main Street traffic, when you come up Carmen Ave. then onto Main St., hang a right onto Staples, then a left on Secatoque, then a left on Melville Rd. and a quick right back onto Main St. I learned this route from the Massapeqa Park Bike Club Folks.

Steve B.
Old 06-20-14, 08:42 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Had a chance of route....

Old 06-21-14, 07:03 PM
Papa Tom

Saturday, June 21st. Believe it or not, today was the first time I rode the entire Bethpage - I mean Papa Tom - Bikeway from north to south.

I started at my driveway in Syosset and rode the 2-3 miles to the start of the path at Woodbury Road. I hadn't been on this section in quite a while and I'm glad to see that it's all open now. I can take or leave this whole segment to Washington Avenue, though. Too many highway entrances and exits, too hilly heading south, and not much to look at except for road kill and fast food bags tossed from car windows.

After Washington Avenue, the whole experience improved, despite my noticing that much of the landscaping I thought was going to look really awesome when it bloomed is already dead. Still, this is the point at which I was able to clear my head and imagine I was far, far away from home - as I could only do when I was riding in Westchester or farther away in the past.

A small section of the path just north of Bethpage Park was closed today and all broken up. I think there's some kind of utility plant there that needed some work. It was passable, though, and I soon found myself in the park, watching a model airplane festival on the polo field. Suffering a little from what I think is a bone spur, I almost turned around here. But I have a loose tradition of celebrating the longest day of the year with a longer ride than usual, so I decided to keep going.

Ultimately, I made it down to the end of the bikeway at Merrick Road, where I had to take inventory of the various pains I was experiencing in my back, my feet, etc. so I could decide whether to continue to Cedar Creek park and on to Jones - or even TOBAY - Beach. These pains were not from the ride, but from my everyday life, which was rougher than usual this week. In the end, I decided to skip the beach, make my way to Rt. 107, and head north to my favorite weekend Indian Buffet in Hicksville.

THAT was a mistake, as Rt. 107 is like a war zone these days, with potholes and debris almost the entire length of my ride. At one point, I bit my tongue from the vibrations. At another, I thought I had shattered my front teeth after hitting a tar crater dead-on. By the time I arrived at the buffet, everything on my bike - from my mp3 player and speakers to my mirror to my headlight to my pannier to even a few spokes - was loose or falling off. Never gonna do THAT again.

Anyway, after considering packing it in at Hicksville and taking the LIRR home, I decided to man-up and just ride home. Hicksville to Syosset via Miller Road is no epic ride, so the day ended on kind of a bland note and with really painful feet. However, I'm always grateful, at 51, to be able to keep doing these rides without suffering TOO much.

Bottom line? Today's Long Island ride reassured me that I am ready for my annual overnight RHODE Island ride coming up next month. But, more than that, it made me a little less envious of the cool bike paths I used to drive all over the country to ride.
Old 06-22-14, 09:01 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Rode Massapequa to Tobay this morning. At Tobay I met a few guys and one told me how he crashed on the way down. Someone decided to make a u turn without any warning. He swerved and went over his handlebars. Luckily he wasn't hurt but his left 105 shifter was damaged.

I took a rest at Cedar Creek on the way back and found a guy with a flat tire. He had a spare tube, CO2 and levers but didn't know hot to do it, so I gave him a quick lesson. I also found a 3" cut in his tire and told him to replace it before it fails.

The rest of the ride home was uneventful.

30 miles, average speed was 15.1mph

It was a good ride.
Old 06-22-14, 09:28 AM
Papa Tom

Was the U-Turn made by a motorist, or a cyclist?
Old 06-22-14, 09:39 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Cyclist... he said she just turned without warning as he was coming up at 22mph.

Most weekend riders have no idea about common courtesy and think they're the only ones on the path.

I personally think the roads are safer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.