Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Who is BikeForums?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Who is BikeForums?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-14, 11:10 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
Who is BikeForums?

I wanted to know who the entity was that owns bikeforums, but when I do a search, I can find no company that owns it.

Is there some sort of page or link where the bikeforums management introduces themselves? A shareholders report possibly?

I like bikeforums and would like to know who provides this forum, and who it is that we are contributing out intellectual and creative input to.

Are many of the vast array of "forums" related in some way, perhaps as compared to those that end with only "forum"?

Also wondering how big of a company it is that is running this and perhaps other forums??

What city is headquarters for the bikeforums entity?

Is bikeforums offered in different languages?

It surprises me somewhat that I don't know any of the answers to these questions.

So, who is bikeforums?
Old 09-01-14, 11:19 PM
holden west

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman * 1984 Apollo Club Sport * 1991 Cramerrotti Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I think it's like most forums. Just one guy with a bunch of volunteer helpers, all of them hoping you'll click on ads so they can at least break even on the server costs.
Old 09-01-14, 11:26 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2196 Post(s)
Liked 4,594 Times in 1,764 Posts
Internet Brands Inc., I think. There's a thread on it somewhere.

Edit: https://https://www.bikeforums.net/news-announcements/304179-internet-brands-acquires-bikeforums-net.html

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 09-01-14, 11:47 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,760 Times in 634 Posts
Yes to the best of my knowledge BikeForms is independantly oprerated by volunteers under the Internet Brands owner for Umbrella. For mainly advertising.
Old 09-02-14, 12:10 AM
Uncle Randy

Bikes: '74 Schwinn Le Tour, Fuji Newest 2.0, Fausto Coppi Torino,Bridgestone RB-2, CB-1

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dddd, go to Whois Lookup & IP | Whois.net and you can look up the registrant for any domain name.
Old 09-02-14, 12:17 AM
Uncle Randy

Bikes: '74 Schwinn Le Tour, Fuji Newest 2.0, Fausto Coppi Torino,Bridgestone RB-2, CB-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by holden west
I think it's like most forums. Just one guy with a bunch of volunteer helpers, all of them hoping you'll click on ads so they can at least break even on the server costs.
Siteprice estimates its value at $321,726
www.bikeforums.net website worth is $ 321,719
Old 09-02-14, 04:21 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Go to the forum leaders sub-forum at the bottom of the portal page for a list of the administrators and moderators, as well as some of the IB personnel that are involved here. Show Groups - Bike Forums

As said, the administrators (Tom, SIU, CBad, Allen and Lotek) and all of the moderators are volunteers. Tom has a call out for those wanting to train and be moderators, and a new position of Forum Steward. They are good folks with pretty much thankless jobs here, they have helped me out several times when I was in a fix or needed guidance on something in the forums.

To the best of my knowledge BF is offered only in English, if someone knows more they will put that in here, too. A couple of forums are sponsored by a commercial concern for advertising and public media access, also. Not sure where IB is headquarteredor where its incorporated. I need to dig that one up for myself.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 09-02-14 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Corrected my mistake on the administrators.
Likes For qcpmsame:
Old 09-02-14, 05:59 AM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The Internet Brands part seems pretty much covered, but for earlier history: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...m-history.html

Regarding Bike Forums as a whole, the first member registration dates go back to late 1999 and look varying enough to be genuine (i.e. not an old member list mass-moved from some earlier BF platform). As far as I can tell, MediaCreations is the oldest somewhat active member. Joe Gardner (founder of BF) drops in occasionally, but hasn't posted for years.

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 09-02-14, 07:06 AM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
'Internet Brands' is the owner and thats why it's overly foolish to pay for upgraded memberships.
Old 09-02-14, 07:13 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
At least it isn't Vertical Scope...yet.
Old 09-02-14, 07:28 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
Oooh... I so want to bump those threads...

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 09-02-14, 07:29 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim
'Internet Brands' is the owner and thats why it's overly foolish to pay for upgraded memberships.
To get rid of the ads is the best reason.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 09-02-14, 07:30 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Jim - can you explain this comment? I know squat about internet brands, but have always been pleased with how the forum is managed.

I love the perks of premium membership and consider it a bargain for how much I've learned here and the enjoyment I've gotten from it.

$20 for two years...no ads, access to classifieds? Score.
Old 09-02-14, 07:42 AM
Uncle Randy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can use Google Translate to translate any website. Here's this page in Japanese:
https://translate.google.com/transla...tml&edit-text=
Zulu:
https://translate.google.com/transla...html&sandbox=1
and Russian:
https://translate.google.com/transla...html&sandbox=1

There are a several translation plugins available for vBulletin including one that uses Google Translate.
Old 09-02-14, 08:04 AM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
I wanted to know who the entity was that owns bikeforums,
Shhhh. Next topic please

Old 09-02-14, 09:59 AM
rekon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
anybody interested in creating a new forum around biking?
Old 09-02-14, 10:20 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
He's kind of an enigma: https://www.bikeforums.net/members/bi...ms-114473.html
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-03-14, 06:01 AM
miamijim

Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
Jim - can you explain this comment? I know squat about internet brands, but have always been pleased with how the forum is managed.

I love the perks of premium membership and consider it a bargain for how much I've learned here and the enjoyment I've gotten from it.

$20 for two years...no ads, access to classifieds? Score.
The company was founded in 1998 as CarsDirect.com, launched from the business incubator Idealab. The company invented a consumer-advocacy approach to selling cars "haggle-free" online, an approach it continues to employ.[10] In 2000, Roger Penske invested in the company and joined the Board of Directors. In 2002, Time Magazine voted the site one of the 50 best in the world.[11]

The company changed its name to Internet Brands in 2005.[12] The company's IPO was in November 2007 on the NASDAQ exchange.[13] INET was added to the NASDAQ Internet Index on March 22, 2010.[14]

Internet Brands agreed to be acquired for $640 million by the private equity firm Hellman & Friedman in September 2010 [15][16] and was thus delisted from NASDAQ.[17]

In September 2012, Internet Brands became involved in a legal battle with the Wikimedia Foundation (the operators of Wikipedia) over the future of Wikitravel's community.[18][19][20]

Internet Brands was acquired in June 2014 by KKR from Hellman & Friedman for 1.1 billion dollars.[21] KKR is making its investment in partnership with Internet Brands chief executive officer Bob Brisco and the Internet Brands management team, who will hold a minority stake in the company and continue to run the business
Access to classified ads? That's a joke. Over on the Corvetteforum, an IB site, everyone has access to classified ads for free!!!

I can understand 'premium memberships' when a site is owned by private individual, they have bills to pay etc. But once a site sells out to a corporate entity all bets are off. The corporate entity is making big profits from advertisers and they want to squeeze and insignificant amount of cash from users who the advertisers rely on? It makes no sense, sell to advertisers but allow users to opt out by paying off the administrators....what a concept. If I were an advertisers I tell administrators 'NO'.

And then the administrators let individuals advertise of this site, admittedly in a somewhat cloak n dagger form but they allow it.

I have my own theory as to why they still charge for 'premium memberships' but that for a PM because my language may be colorful enough to get me banned.
Old 09-03-14, 06:15 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
+1 for using the Titanium membership, I was an old red star member, kind of took it as a humorous thing with the amount and the extreme length of time for the membership. Loosing the ads didn't even register with me, they really don't bother me at all, I learned the the use of Ad blockers is against the forum's rules we agree to follow by reading it in a post back after I first joined in Jan. 2008. I am on my second premium or titanium membership, its worth it to me to support the site, regardless that it is owned by IB.

Miamijim, if we disagree on membership that is fine with me, not worth arguing about, as I respect you and all the other long time members very much, and I have learned enough here to justify the membership fee I paid. Just my worthless opinion.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 09-03-14, 06:33 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
I don't know all the finances, but if someone is getting wealthy off my ten bucks a year so be it. It's worth it to me to support what I like.
Old 09-03-14, 06:43 AM
miamijim

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Miamijim, if we disagree on membership that is fine with me, not worth arguing about, as I respect you and all the other long time members very much, and I have learned enough here to justify the membership fee I paid. Just my worthless opinion.

Bill
You opinion is far from worthless!!! If people see value in what they get for their money who am I to say what they should or shouldn't spend their money on?

My arguement is primarily that the revenue generated from premium memberships is probably a drop in the bucket compared to other revenue streams and other IB forums have free classifieds for all members.
Old 09-03-14, 06:56 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Velognome
Shhhh. Next topic please

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
Old 09-03-14, 08:45 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
You opinion is far from worthless!!! If people see value in what they get for their money who am I to say what they should or shouldn't spend their money on?

My arguement is primarily that the revenue generated from premium memberships is probably a drop in the bucket compared to other revenue streams and other IB forums have free classifieds for all members.
I understand your argument Jim, but I guess I see it a little differently (while clearly not knowing the situation as well as you do). I'd assume that IB reports members that receive advertising...so premium members are likely not giving them ad revenue. That's an assumption...and it's really the advertiser's concern, not mine. Effectively I'm agreeing to directly pay for the service rather than pay via advertising. I like that arrangement. If they are getting revenue both ways, I see that more as the advertiser's concern than my own. I don't think anyone is likely getting rich off of the $20 two year memberships, and I understand that the forum costs them money to manage. I don't mind them making a few bucks, and I see $20 once every two years as worth the ability to post to classifieds. I know of other forums that don't charge that money, so I understand your perspective.
Old 09-03-14, 01:52 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
Best answers so far:

"I think it's like most forums. Just one guy with a bunch of volunteer helpers, all of them hoping you'll click on ads so they can at least break even on the server costs."

and

"Shhhh, next topic please"

I kind of figured that this "forums" industry was large and conglomerated, since I also visit other "-forums" and "-forum" sites.

Sorry to veer off-topic here though. I also wondered what percentage of US economy might be dedicated to advertising?
Old 09-03-14, 01:56 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
I would miss the ads especially the girls in hot t-shirts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.