Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

New to MTB

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-15, 08:33 AM
pitch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to MTB

Alright, I'm totally new to biking. I have an 11 year old that has started getting into biking and I'd like to go out with him. I've started looking at real mountain bikes and now I'm probably more confused than when I started. I'm 6'1" 220lb guy and from what I've read so far I'm going to need a large frame bike. I've been thinking about buying a road bike for sometime now, but since he has expressed interest in riding trails I'm thinking I need a true mountain bike.

Many years ago I purchased a Novara from REI but didn't ride so I got rid of it. I know mountain bikes can vary in prices, and I'm prepared to buy a nice one but I don't want to break the bank. I've considered buying slightly used but I'm not sure of the brands and I don't really want to waste my money. I've been using bicyclebluebook.com to check on street prices of bikes.

I've seen a lot of GT bikes on Craigslist, a few I'm interested in but I think the frames are too small for a big guy like me. I've considered riding back to REI and getting another Novara as well. We have a local bike shop here I'd like to get to but I don't think I can get over there until next Saturday.

Thanks!
Old 06-11-15, 09:30 AM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Go to the LBS and try some on. It will get you in the ballpark for size and give you something to compare the online stuff to.
Old 06-11-15, 10:36 AM
Menel

Bikes: Helix, HonkyTonk, NailTrail

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pitch
Alright, I'm totally new to biking. I have an 11 year old that has started getting into biking and I'd like to go out with him. I've started looking at real mountain bikes and now I'm probably more confused than when I started. I'm 6'1" 220lb guy and from what I've read so far I'm going to need a large frame bike. I've been thinking about buying a road bike for sometime now, but since he has expressed interest in riding trails I'm thinking I need a true mountain bike.

Many years ago I purchased a Novara from REI but didn't ride so I got rid of it. I know mountain bikes can vary in prices, and I'm prepared to buy a nice one but I don't want to break the bank. I've considered buying slightly used but I'm not sure of the brands and I don't really want to waste my money. I've been using bicyclebluebook.com to check on street prices of bikes.

I've seen a lot of GT bikes on Craigslist, a few I'm interested in but I think the frames are too small for a big guy like me. I've considered riding back to REI and getting another Novara as well. We have a local bike shop here I'd like to get to but I don't think I can get over there until next Saturday.

Thanks!
PerformanceBike having triple points weekend. Some killer deals. 30% back in store credit on a bike goes a long way toward pedals/helmet/clothes.

The make of the frame doesn't matter much, it's the fork and other component features.
Old 06-11-15, 10:54 AM
pitch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Menel
The make of the frame doesn't matter much, it's the fork and other component features.

The Brookhaven store is the closest to me (I'm in the metro Atl Area). I figured it was the actual components when I saw a review about a particular fork that was $1,200. That's a bit out of my beginners budget. Regarding forks, which types are best suited for a mix of paved surface and trail riding? Honestly I'll probably spend a lot of time riding the trails at Ft Yargo in Winder (if you're familiar). I've seen forks that say 100mm with lockout- honestly that's all Greek to me.

I'm looking at mostly 29er bikes, and I think I need a 19-20" frame. I saw one on Craigslist that I liked but was 17" frame and I'm afraid that may be too small. I'll probably just wait another week or so when I have time to swing by the bike shop.
Old 06-11-15, 10:59 AM
Menel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The Brookhaven store is the closest to me (I'm in the metro Atl Area). I figured it was the actual components when I saw a review about a particular fork that was $1,200. That's a bit out of my beginners budget. Regarding forks, which types are best suited for a mix of paved surface and trail riding? Honestly I'll probably spend a lot of time riding the trails at Ft Yargo in Winder (if you're familiar). I've seen forks that say 100mm with lockout- honestly that's all Greek to me.

I'm looking at mostly 29er bikes, and I think I need a 19-20" frame. I saw one on Craigslist that I liked but was 17" frame and I'm afraid that may be too small. I'll probably just wait another week or so when I have time to swing by the bike shop.
Yes I am familiar.

You ask about two entirely different kind of terrain.

Paved surface, a rigid fork with smooth efficient low rolling resistance tires is best.

For singletrack rooty trails, especially Yargo, you'd want a real mtb. Something with a XC30/XC32 fork. You don't need a $1200 fork.
Old 06-11-15, 11:09 AM
Menel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
e.g.
GT Backwoods Expert Mountain Bike - 2015 Performance Exclusive
$900 (this weekend get $270 back as store credit for pedals/helmet/clothes, whatever) Effectively brings bike down to $630.
Butted Al, 29er, rockshox, deore.

Fuji Tahoe 1.5 29er Mountain Bike - 2015
$1150 (then 30% store credit
adds tapered steerer, and air fork

and it can keep going up from there however much you want to spend.

path and pavement bikes? look here, lots of options, all are probably workable. Skip any that have suspension. Weight and the bouncing drains efficiency.
https://www.performancebike.com/bikes...y=&searchTerm=
Old 06-11-15, 11:21 AM
pitch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Really considering the GT Backwoods. I may go tonight. We're actually staying in Ft Yargo this weekend... I can't see anything on the site about $270 back as store credit, where do you see that?
Old 06-11-15, 11:22 AM
Menel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Really considering the GT Backwoods. I may go tonight. We're actually staying in Ft Yargo this weekend... I can't see anything on the site about $270 back as store credit, where do you see that?
email, starts this weekend.
Old 06-11-15, 11:23 AM
pitch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, I see the bike is not in stock anyway.
Old 06-11-15, 01:01 PM
Canker

Liked 222 Times in 142 Posts
Keep in mind that if you buy a bike with a coil fork you will probably need to replace the spring for your weight.
Old 06-11-15, 01:04 PM
pitch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is a coil fork? I've seen a whole lot of entry level bikes with Suntour SF15-XCM-HLO 100mm forks. How do I know what a coil fork is? What are the alternatives? I'd rather spend a little extra now and not replace the fork in a year.
Old 06-11-15, 01:29 PM
Menel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What is a coil fork? I've seen a whole lot of entry level bikes with Suntour SF15-XCM-HLO 100mm forks. How do I know what a coil fork is? What are the alternatives? I'd rather spend a little extra now and not replace the fork in a year.
Suntour is generally low end. Some question it's reliability and safety on singletrack.

Coil forks are heavier. The coil spring is tuned to a riders weight. If you are an average 70-75kg you are probably fine. If you are super petite or very heavy it can be non-optimal without having it serviced, and the coil replaced with a different weight one. Rockshox has several different colored coded coils.

Air forks are lighter. They have a air pump valve, and you can adjust the pressure to correspond to the rider's weight.
Old 06-12-15, 08:10 AM
Bandrada
Banned.

Bikes: ...

Liked 383 Times in 334 Posts
Pinkbike.com is a really good resource for used MTB's, as is Mountain Bike Review.com.

Tell em I sent ya!

Seriously, good luck and have a lot of fun with it. Your adventure awaits!
Old 06-12-15, 10:21 AM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bandrada
pinkbike.com is a really good resource for clapped-out dirt jumpers sold by semi-literate 14-year-olds.
ftfy.
Old 06-12-15, 12:07 PM
FrozenK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Menel
That is some terrible advice right there. The frame matters, way more than what rear derailleur comes with it. First of all, if the frame don't fit the bike won't be enjoyed. It doesn't matter if it has the best fork and parts in the world.
Second, put this guy on a dirt jumper and it is going to suck for him. And if he goes full suspension, then the frame is key.
For someone riding casually on pavement a suspension fork won't be a problem. Even without a lockout. And the weight won't be such a big deal either.

For what the OP is looking for, a hardtail in the $1000-1500 range should work. On that price range you should be getting air suspension, maybe even a lockout (which stops the fork from moving when riding on smooth surfaces) It won't be light, but it should be fine to get started.
Old 06-12-15, 12:14 PM
Canker

Liked 222 Times in 142 Posts
He said the make of the frame doesn't matter not size or type and what he said is pretty accurate at least on the lower end.
Old 06-12-15, 12:24 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Liked 2,278 Times in 1,393 Posts
Just to explain how Performance works... You become a Team Member for $30, (have to renew each year), and you get 10% of all purchases as store credit. So if you buy a $1000 bike they give you $100 on the card that you can use in the store or online for as long as you are a member.

Throughout the year they offer double points (20%) or triple points (30%). For someone just starting out they have a nice selection, usually some closeout bikes and occasionally a used one. I think they still offer an upgrade program where you can trade your bike back in against a new bike. I'm not sure how it works.

The only issue is that when they offer triple points and it ends you have to wait till the next offer, which may not be the same.

John
Old 06-12-15, 10:47 PM
Bandrada
Banned.

Bikes: ...

Liked 383 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by dminor
ftfy.
Not my experience. Sorry about yours.
Old 06-14-15, 02:58 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
SR Suntour North America

I did the Raidon LO R Air upgrade, a $350 fork for $189,,,+ LBS fee of $30 to cut and install...

It's true, those SR SX suntour forks found on all bikes under $700 are ONLY for casual trail riding,, a sticker down low on the fork leg says so..
It means the fork Is fine for mellow fire roads or beer runs to the quicky mart..

They blow seals on single track, they twist and flex in fast corners,
they make the bike a wandering pig when you start reaching for the speeds you NEED to ride even Intermediate level single track....

My $650 29er Hard Tail was as good as any $1000 HT when I put the Raidon fork on. It had wet brakes already,,another must IMO..