Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

How important is bicycling to you?

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

How important is bicycling to you?

Old 09-23-15, 03:25 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
This is rich--coming from two of the top contributors on the threads that are NOT about bicycling. If you don't like a thread, you can always skip over it without penalty. If you do post repeatedly on it, I assume you must be enjoying it, or else you are a compulsive masochist.Which is it???
It does give an amusing break from vacuous twaddle that veers from a purported discussion of bicycles straight into fantasy, fiction and politics to lampoon the Twaddle-er.
One of the most traditional tools to deflate the pompous rhetoric of the humorless Hobbist-Pseudo-Eco-Advocate is: Humor.
See: Aristophanes, also Tarp.

Not amusing to you?

As always, suit yourself.

To get back on track, a pic of a bicycle that I enjoy riding.

-Bandera
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Internat'l_9_13.jpg (72.5 KB, 406 views)
Old 09-23-15, 04:17 PM
TheLibrarian

Bikes: 2014 Giant Roam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mostly for recreation, a bit of cardio and to keep the lungs in the best shape i can til I cut back. I need to gain weight so worry about losing weight cycling. I never stick with the gym for more than 3-4 months. Maybe with the winter coming i'll do my upper body strength training in that half of the year. I dont really use it for transport unless there is a problem with my car or licence. Forget the world, never had an interest in saving it. if anything i'll be standing on the hill top emptying aerosol cans and laughing maniacally to myself.

And nature, I like to get out in the woods. I rarely hike now that i've been riding. You can get up closer to the animals at speed before they realize you're there (and jump under your wheel). Got pretty close to a dear coming the other way on the trail the other day. He looked like he was going to stand and fight for a minute but then he realized I wasn't stopping or falling for it and he ran off.
Old 09-23-15, 07:30 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
It does give an amusing break from vacuous twaddle that veers from a purported discussion of bicycles straight into fantasy, fiction and politics to lampoon the Twaddle-er.
One of the most traditional tools to deflate the pompous rhetoric of the humorless Hobbist-Pseudo-Eco-Advocate is: Humor.
See: Aristophanes, also Tarp.

Not amusing to you?

As always, suit yourself.

To get back on track, a pic of a bicycle that I enjoy riding.

-Bandera
IMO, you're just as goofy as the rest of us. And that's meant as a compliment.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 09-23-15, 08:20 PM
ganchan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Add me to the "Don't have a car" list. I can catch buses pretty easily, but the whole process kind of sucks. My bike gets me to all those spots that aren't really far away enough to make the bus a smart move, but too far away to walk to in any reasonable amount of time. I also want to see whether it will help me lower my diastolic blood pressure a bit in the long term....

I gave up my car because I literally couldn't afford to keep repairing and operating it. Dipping my toe back into driving would be fun and would certainly expand my mobility, but at what price? If I really needed a car for a day or two, I'd be better off renting one.
Likes For ganchan:
Old 09-24-15, 11:41 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ganchan
Add me to the "Don't have a car" list. I can catch buses pretty easily, but the whole process kind of sucks. My bike gets me to all those spots that aren't really far away enough to make the bus a smart move, but too far away to walk to in any reasonable amount of time. I also want to see whether it will help me lower my diastolic blood pressure a bit in the long term....

I gave up my car because I literally couldn't afford to keep repairing and operating it. Dipping my toe back into driving would be fun and would certainly expand my mobility, but at what price? If I really needed a car for a day or two, I'd be better off renting one.
Like you, I've always found th bike to be great for almost all of my transportation. The bus is a fill-in for certain distances, From a few miles up to the distance of hundreds of miles. I also use the bus more when I'm sick or have an injury. When my right wrist was in a cast for five months (twice), I actually bought monthly bus passes and rode the CATA every day. I have never rented a car.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 10-13-15, 01:45 PM
ganchan

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I accidentally stumbled on this article:
Surprise: The Wall Street Journal doesn't understand that bikes are transportation : TreeHugger
...and I realized that I totally relate to the woman they interviewed who uses her bike primarily for transportation, viewing health/fitness as a happy fringe benefit. Of course there's no wrong reason or motivation to ride. But I'm comfortable now with the idea of riding a bike without being a "cyclist."
Likes For ganchan:
Old 10-13-15, 03:51 PM
mapeiboy

Bikes: Colnago EP with Campy chorus

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It keeps me sane and at the same time keeps my demon from coming to the surface .
Likes For mapeiboy:
Old 10-13-15, 03:56 PM
Supermau

Bikes: 2015 Giant Anyroad 1, 26 HT MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Being a slightly past middle-aged father, cycling has brought back a sense of adventure and freedom that I sorely missed. I commute and ride for fun and fitness. Now if I only had more time to ride! It sucks that most of my monthly miles are commuter miles but it's still time on the bike.
Old 08-30-16, 09:15 AM
Druzis

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Bicycling is my and my girlfriend weekends activity. We spend almost every weekend on our bicycles
Likes For Druzis:
Old 10-22-16, 01:25 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
This past year cycling has become increasingly important to us ... as evidenced by the increased number of kilometres we have cycled so far in 2016.

And the desire to do more long distance cycling is driving the desire to incorporate commuting into our weeks.

Last edited by Machka; 10-22-16 at 01:59 AM.
Old 10-22-16, 02:02 AM
American Euchre

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Newspaperguy
Winter riding is a lot easier than it seems. Riding on fresh snow on a quiet moonlit night is a euphoric experience.
This is a very cool post. No pun intended.
Likes For American Euchre:
Old 12-06-16, 05:42 PM
SamSpade1941 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 54 Posts
Pretty darn important from a mental and physical health perspective... I derive a lot of satisfaction from cycling and my health has greatly improved. Sadly I have a girl friend who really does not like it but keeps silent mostly. I really wish I had someone to share my intersts with but she is not intersted at all in cycling and almost seems to resent it because it exercise.
Old 12-06-21, 02:23 PM
michalshawn

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's absolutely the most important thing, but as the zen monks say, nothing special. It's the most natural way to travel, and I need to ride daily. But after all of these years, my ego is rarely involved, so it's not like I need to do a 50 mile ride to prove something, and riding for that long means that I cannot do other things with the time. So my rides are all utility rides except when they are for pleasure.
Likes For michalshawn:
Old 12-09-21, 06:04 PM
takenreasy

Bikes: ’83 Bianchi Special ’96 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp ’09 Gary Fisher Paragon ’09 Surly Cross Check ’11 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by michalshawn
It's absolutely the most important thing, but as the zen monks say, nothing special. It's the most natural way to travel, and I need to ride daily. But after all of these years, my ego is rarely involved, so it's not like I need to do a 50 mile ride to prove something, and riding for that long means that I cannot do other things with the time. So my rides are all utility rides except when they are for pleasure.
This. Plus I live in a relatively small city and could get away with never drive again if it was only up to me - but, that's not the case. At least when we do travel by car its an EV!
Old 12-10-21, 06:22 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 122 Posts
If you can't ride then you are old, or scared. My Father's wife is scared. Nobody rides on either side of the family but me.

Not that I really care what any of them do..........
Old 12-11-21, 10:15 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I ride my bicycle to most everywhere I want to go. Sometimes if the weather is really bad or the distance is too far, I'll get my BinL or my niece to drive me. I guess that means I'm not really totally car free.

Cheers
Old 01-04-22, 04:23 PM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
It's all we have!

Well since my wife had a heart attack in 2019 and needed to retire before she cold get her full SS retirement and I retired at 62 on SS retirement we just do not have enough income to have a car so the bicycle gives us the only real mobility for both recreation and utility that neither walking or mass transit can! So for us my bike and her tirke have great importance in our life! When we get to old to ride life will be nothing but struggle and be so much less satisfying! 🚴👍😁

Old 01-22-22, 10:32 AM
AlgarveCycling

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
I have cycled since I was a small kid. I spent entire days out with my friends on our BMX bikes. Later, I was introduced to road racing and I was hooked on that. I also commuted by bike until about 24 yrs old.

I worked as a Design Manager in the Construction Industry and that meant travelling to sites across a large region - no more cycling commute but cycling remained a large part of my life until my early 30's.
When I relocated to the UK, I worked in London and surrounding areas, again, impossible to do the job I had by bicycle. It was only 5 years ago when I moved to Portugal and working from home that cycling returned in a big way for me. My wife and I each had a car in the UK, now we have one between us. My wife worked in Amsterdam for 3 years and we split our time between there and Portugal - in Amsterdam we only had bikes, literally no need of a car.

I race MTB, Road and train for those. Last year I cycled nearly 21000km. Double what I did in my car. My kids live in Copenhagen, Denmark and my wife's Family is in Gent, Belgium. They all get around exclusively by bike. My daughter is in her early 20's and has zero interest in getting a drivers licence. She lives in a city that has arguably the best cycling infrastructure in the World.

I literally only use the car - an EV - for shopping. I am in my early 50's and love cycling again, doing similar mileage to that which I did in my early 20's.
Likes For AlgarveCycling:
Old 01-24-22, 03:16 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Bicycling is quite important for me.

I use my bicycle to go shopping and have brought rater large objects home on it at times.

I use a bicycle to visit people. I also use the bicycle to go to nearby cities.

Sometimes I just use the bicycle to go for a long ride in the countryside or just for exploring the areas near where I live.

I use a bicycle to go touring whether on paved roads or on logging/mining roads where I might not see a motor vehicle for a week or so at a time.

The day I can't ride a bicycle is the day I hope I'm dead.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 01-31-22, 08:44 PM
Greg161

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Panasonic SLX, Santa Cruz Chameleon, Salsa Journeyman Apex

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Cycling is therapy for me. Getting out on a quiet road, my mind is free to just shut down and be a part of the natural world. Zen time.
Likes For Greg161:
Old 02-18-22, 11:59 PM
c0urt
moving target

Bikes: looks like a specialized crux now

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 69 Posts
at one point in time it was easier just to ride my bike instead of listening to my dad lecture, and thanks to a medical condition I have to go 6 months without a seizure, and if i have an accident while driving it is an automatic felony, even before my medical issues, i was a bicycle mechanic, and loved my job, i ended up sick because we had to appear at races and events to advertise the company "best job ever" so it is just a little
Likes For c0urt:
Old 02-19-22, 05:19 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
My bikes are tools. I am not emotionally involved with any tools in my tool shed. I need a hammer, or a saw, or a bike, I just go get it, use it for the task at hand, and don't give it much thought. Just because I fix a leaky faucet doesn't make me a plumber, and just because I jump on a bike to get somewhere doesn't make me a "cyclist". Bikes are tools, not objects of any sort of passion for me.
Old 02-21-22, 07:00 AM
GP210

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
life style !
Old 05-18-22, 01:35 PM
lorr1e1

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I love my bike and could never replace it, the memories i have had on it, the high level fitness i attained, the portability and the ability to get around FREE was the best thing i EVER INVESTED my money in, and i hope we can encourage others to get a bike instead of getting on that rip off bus or car for some of the journeys.
Old 05-18-22, 08:50 PM
Ptcycles

Bikes: 73 Schwinn Continental, (my first), 1993 Nobelette, Cannondale 500,Team Fugi, Raleigh Supercourse, Raleigh Gran Sport, 1976 Krystal, Tsunami, Giant Boulder SE, Series 30 Paramount, Scott Unitrack, As long as I have room the Hoard will grow...

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
I biked a lot in my twenties. It represented freedom as life forced me to become an adult. I stopped until I reached my forties, when life restablished that I needed to stay on an adult track. At age 67 I got a prostate cancer diagnosis. I somewhat lost my ability to ride and it became evident that I may loose my freedom. Now it is more necessary than ever that I stay on the bike, no matter how much it hurts. This gives my life meaning, the quest.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.