Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hands Down the BEST Winter SPD Shoe out there!!

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-16, 04:38 PM
Diablito

Bikes: Voodoo Canzo, BMC Granfondo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I been riding for years with neoprene booties on cold days. Sometimes I use Specialized toe covers under the booties. I even went out and found aerogel insoles for the cold cold days. All that and my feet still were cold and sweaty. I stopped riding during the winter because of my cold feet. Last week I went to my LBS and asked for winter spd shoes. They brought out 2 shoes ( shimano winter gtx shoes and Bontrager OMW Boots). As soon as I saw the Shimanos I put them down. The Bontragers lookd bad ass. They were like Sorel Boots but with SPD compatibility. So I bought the Bontragers. Ok, today was 19 degrees. I layered up and threw on some mid weight wigwam wool socks that I bought at Dicks Sporting Goods ( buy one get one 1/2 off, excellent buy for 2 pairs of socks for $21). I drove to Allaire State Park and hit the trails. The last time I rode Allaire was Thursday which was 32 degrees and my feet were cold the whole time I was riding with shoe covers. Today I was straight sold on these boots. With the wool socks and aerogel insoles my feet were PERFECT. Not the hot that your feet get sweaty then cold. My feet were a perfect temperature that I had no problems riding at all. I know this is all word of mouth and yes the shoes cost $300 but you only use them during the winter so they should last you a long time. Its worth it. The shoe has an inner Booty that has a cinch cord shoe tie (dont cinch it too tight, keep it loose, just a quick cinch to form the foot. Too tight will cut circulation when you close the outer boot and close the 2 velcro straps outside the boot.) I had a blast and now Im tempted to try going outside tomorrow in the sub zer temps haha. Maybe a quick ride out the house. If I do I will post the results. If you do enjoy riding all year around, dont waste money on booties, expensive socks, toe covers , just get The Bontrager Old Man Winter Boots. You wont regret the purchase.
Old 02-14-16, 10:33 AM
jfowler85

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Experimenting with socks is way cheaper.
Old 02-14-16, 10:38 PM
FanaticMN

Bikes: Trek Allant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another set of alternatives, for really cold weather: 45NRTH | Unparalleled Cold Weather Performance
Old 02-15-16, 08:36 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Liked 1,082 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by FanaticMN
Another set of alternatives, for really cold weather: 45NRTH | Unparalleled Cold Weather Performance
I spent 8 hours in temps around 0F wearing my 45NRTH Wolvhammer. The 45-mile race started at -10F and the day warmed up to 10F by the after party (outdoors). The boots were great! I use Smartwool snowboard socks (knee-high) and I did add chemical heaters just in case, since I knew I'd be out for a long day in the cold.

I'm working with a friend that makes custom framebags, pogies, etc... I want him to make a boot cover for my Wolvhammers that would allow me to skip the chemical heaters for sub-zero temps.
Old 02-15-16, 09:09 AM
Diablito

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jfowler85
Experimenting with socks is way cheaper.
The shoes are expensive but I been trying different ways to keep my feet warm. With all the money I spent on trying to keep me warm I could have bought shoes last year. The ability to throw on a pair of socks and not have to worry about my feet getting cold is an awesome burden off my back.
Old 02-15-16, 08:12 PM
Freakin'Chickin

Bikes: 97 Rocky Mountain Whistler commuter/tourer - 04 Devinci Phantom hardtail - 89 Italo-Japanese road bike - 2010 Pivot Mach 429 29er - Rocky Mountain Blizzard Fatbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Diablito
If you do enjoy riding all year around, dont waste money on booties, expensive socks, toe covers , just get The Bontrager Old Man Winter Boots. You wont regret the purchase.
How many sizes up did you go??? I just tried the Bontrager OMW yesterday (was pretty cold but not unusual / -20C or 0F) in a size 41 (I usually wear size 40), and found that they were okay but a tad bit on the narrow side. Went riding about an hour, feet were cool getting cold. Not freezing yet. Nothing warmer than my big fat full grain leather Gore-Tex lined chainsaw workboots (they look like a hiking boot, though). I must say I was a little disappointed. I am questioning about sizing up another size (just swapped them at the store), but I am still unsure as the size 42 are waay longer, even though the fit in width seems plush and forgiving.

So, I'm hesitating about having too long boots, size 42, and trying to put another insole in (even though there is not ample room), or getting the "fitter" size 41 as layering socks doesn't change much (already have de feet woolie boolies socks), and putting on a bootie if it gets colder. Anyway, any longer ride (2+ hours) under -20C or heavy snow conditions and I will go with flat pedals and snowshoeing boots.

Would try something else but I live in a small region and we do not have much choices, and lots of store are back order on the 45nrth Wolvhammers.... I'll sleep on it!
Old 02-20-16, 03:04 PM
jfowler85

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Diablito
The shoes are expensive but I been trying different ways to keep my feet warm. With all the money I spent on trying to keep me warm I could have bought shoes last year. The ability to throw on a pair of socks and not have to worry about my feet getting cold is an awesome burden off my back.
I guess our definitions of burden differ greatly then; I use 1 pair of spd-compatible road shoes, when it gets cold I put on winter weight socks (I put on socks regardless of the weather, so there it's only a matter of grabbing a specific pair) and when it gets really cold I throw the neoprene booties on (also kept with the winter socks). So, with 1 pair of shoes and a few extra pairs of socks and 1 pair of booties I'm covered for year-round riding, no boots needed.
Old 02-20-16, 04:18 PM
Diablito

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried your method, but I think I have puss puss feet haha. My feet use to got cold after about an hour then sweat. For years it didn't workout for me. These boots keep my feet toasty for the whole ride. I never had a cold weather setup for my feet that kept me warm for the whole ride, so you have to be easy on me. I didnt think it was possible for my feet to feel like i was at home lmaooo. I just wanted to ride like the rest of the group and not freeze my feet. Hey, if you see a guy on a Trek Fuel ex 8 with the OMW shoes, a Kool Aid smile and it's 19° out, that's me haha. Make sure you wave or throw the bird lmaooo. It's all good cause we riding.
Old 02-22-16, 08:05 PM
Earl Grey

Bikes: '10 Fuji Cross Comp, '12 Brompton S-Type, '14 All City Mr Pink

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I think cold sensitivity and tolerance are very different from person to person (and obviously, temperature / wind / duration).

I bought a pair of lobster gloves recently, and it's illuminating to read online reviews for items like that - they range from "I got frostbite after 30 seconds at 40 degrees" to "these things are great down to zero" (and that's only barely an exaggeration).
Old 02-22-16, 11:32 PM
HkC01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FanaticMN
Bought their lighter weight Japanthers this winter, they've been great esp. since it's been relatively mild this season. I agree with a generalized point by the OP - invest in some boots that work for you and solve cold feet.
Old 03-01-16, 03:36 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 3,054 Times in 1,726 Posts
Last year, my feet got painfully cold. So did my hands and face. I got a ski helmet for my face, and I got a new jacket. Basically, I wore warmer clothes, and I won't give all the details (unless requested). I didn't find new shoes to help me combat the cold, but my feet didn't hurt this winter. On the coldest days, I wore my Keen moccasins which I bought extra large for me so I can wiggle my toes. I gave up being cleated for the coldest weather, and I don't mind.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.