Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

BMX pedals on a Tikit - most fun I've had in months

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-16, 10:04 PM
neilfein

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have an injury on my left foot that makes putting pressure on the same point for any length of time a problem. So off with the clips and straps, which helps - at least I'm back on the bike for short rides around town.

The other day, I ordered some BMX pedals on a whim. And wow, these things are a ton of fun! It's so easyy to find a good foot position now. I can shift my feet around a little and it's all good.

Sure, any serious climbing is gonna suck for a while, and it looks ridiculous, but... ya know what? I don't care.

I think I'm putting these on my mountain bike too.

My bands:
Old 10-04-16, 10:24 PM
linberl

Bikes: Now: HPV Gecko FX 20 w/ assist.. Old: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Liked 389 Times in 298 Posts
I totally agree with you. I switched to Rivendell Grip Kings aka MKS Lambda and they look like something out of Game of Thrones but are amazingly comfortable. Grippy but you can shift your feet around which helps my numbness and knees. Like BMX pedals, these are not tiny little things, you can put a good part of your whole foot on them so nice and secure. Not sure I will go back to clips ever, they are super comfy for climbing even if I do lose a bit of effort. Hope your foot gets better.
Old 10-05-16, 06:38 AM
rhenning

Liked 107 Times in 80 Posts
I collect folders and most of the have BMX pedals on them. Wide platforms are nice, they seem to have good bearings in them and the small studs in them keep your feet on the pedal. Roger
Old 10-05-16, 10:17 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts
MKS EZY pedals offer a Quickly removed Pedal to not impede folding and that final size ..

I broke out my 80s buy of Campag's BMX pedals to put on my Brompton, from storage.

Mks version seen Here: MKS BM-7 Pedals in Tree Fort Bikes Pedals
Old 10-08-16, 04:49 AM
Rick Imby

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I am much fonder of the BMX platform pedals like these. I have them in Magnesium. I don't know about links but here they are on ebay.

Redline Lo Profile Replaceable Pins Platform BMX Mountain Bike Pedal Blk 9 16" | eBay

The center hub of these platforms also supports the shoe better than the round hub on the previous pedals.

There are a lot of newer designed very narrow platforms being made for the BMX / Mountain bike community that have large contact areas for your shoes and spikes to keep you from slipping in the wet.

For many years I have run clipless on my city bike and my mountain bike and always changed shoes. I threw on the Redline pedals on my city mountain bike and love them.
Old 10-08-16, 07:37 AM
rhenning

Liked 107 Times in 80 Posts
Those are the basic type pedals I use except I have them with 3 different companies names on them. I suspect they are all from the same manufacturer. I can usually find them in both 9/16 and 1/2 threading. Roger