Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

do i need to take time off?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-16, 07:26 AM
Billy1111

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad, Parlee ESX, Factor o2,Colnago CX Zero Disc,

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Ive been riding a couple years. The past year has been the first time i did any distance and gave some real effort. I average around 200 miles/week consisting of 5/6 20-25 miles rides during the week with like a 75 miler on the weekend. The rides during the week I alternate easy to a full effort rides. I dont race nor plan to put just want to keep making gains. Can i just go on like this all the time or need to take "time off the bike" to give a rest??
Old 10-30-16, 07:35 AM
pacalolo

Bikes: Synapse Carbon, Vintage Spesh Steel, something aluminum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keep on trucking.
Old 10-30-16, 08:53 AM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Don't really know enough to say if its a necessity now. But if you "keep making gains" at some point the increases in volume and intensity that naturally follow will start to break you down.

Why not get in the habit of cycling your time now? Every 3rd or 4th week just drop volume by 30% to 40%. Keep the intensity pattern the same but now your 1.5 to 2 hrs mid week is an hour, and your long ride is more like 2. Do it even if you don't feel gassed, will help keep you fresh physically and mentally.
Old 10-30-16, 09:09 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Liked 351 Times in 198 Posts
Your body will let you know if you need to take a break.
Old 10-30-16, 09:36 AM
jordanair45
Banned.

Bikes: 16' SS Hi-Mod, 15' CAAD12

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
You can keep it up. Your body will let you know when it's tired. Then you can take some time off. Once you start getting fatigue signs. Nice work.
Old 10-30-16, 10:07 AM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Liked 76 Times in 56 Posts
I like Grant Peterson's advice: give it a rest once in a while. Go walking, or hiking, or do some cross-fit, or?? It'll do you good.

Last edited by Dirt Farmer; 10-30-16 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-30-16, 11:23 AM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
periodization is great even if you aren't competing. rhythm, ebb and flow of fitness are not only great for your body but necessary for your mind. if you choose to periodize, make sure there's an outlet when you reach an athletic peak; a grand fondo, a race, a particularly long ride, a cycling vacation.
Old 10-30-16, 11:38 AM
Ilbiker

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport 2021 Trek Domane SL6

Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Voodoo76
Don't really know enough to say if its a necessity now. But if you "keep making gains" at some point the increases in volume and intensity that naturally follow will start to break you down.

Why not get in the habit of cycling your time now? Every 3rd or 4th week just drop volume by 30% to 40%. Keep the intensity pattern the same but now your 1.5 to 2 hrs mid week is an hour, and your long ride is more like 2. Do it even if you don't feel gassed, will help keep you fresh physically and mentally.
Good advice. Plus, change it up. Your body will adapt to what you're doing and you will plateau. Definitely don't be afraid to take off days. Your body doesn't get stronger while working out, it does so while you're resting. Like has been said, throw in some strength and core work which will make your cycling stronger. Experimenting is fun and keeps things from getting boring. There's a ton of info out there, plus other experienced cyclists. I just hooked up with the local multisport group now that I'm riding again. Just gotta work on the swim part. Lol. This will give me a whole new set of things to obsess over.
Old 10-30-16, 02:25 PM
Billy1111

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad, Parlee ESX, Factor o2,Colnago CX Zero Disc,

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
thanx for the replies, i think i will start scaling back and perhaps try voodoo's advice for bit. by any chance does anyone use strava's fitness and freshness thingy?
Old 10-30-16, 02:55 PM
Ilbiker

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport 2021 Trek Domane SL6

Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Billy1111
thanx for the replies, i think i will start scaling back and perhaps try voodoo's advice for bit. by any chance does anyone use strava's fitness and freshness thingy?
I just listen to my body. I ran a 5K race yesterday. Felt pretty good afterwards so I rested a bit and then did some yard work. Today, zip. Just took it easy. Well, not exactly. We adopted a couple of kittens to add the pack. We'll see how the dogs do. Tomorrow, I'll ease back into riding and running. I have just one more 5K on turkey day. After that, I just run and now ride for the balance of the winter, no specific training plan. Things will be different next year since I'll be giving Tri's a try. Might or might not like it.
Old 10-31-16, 09:07 AM
floridamtb

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Trek Madone 4.5, Trek X-Caliber

Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
I tried doing what you are doing and found it didn't work. Mentally tiring, physically tiring after a while. So now I found what works for me. In the summer and fall I go as follows:
Monday - @24 mile recovery
Tuesday - rest day
Wed-Fri - 25-32 miles before work
Saturday - 50-75 miles
Sunday - 30-40 miles (or if a longer charity ride I'll swap the Saturday/Sunday routine)

Winter and spring I take Thursdays off as well. I found this keeps me mentally fresher year round. Then once or twice a year in winter I might take a full week off.