Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Di2 & Shimano Failures - CAUTION

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Di2 & Shimano Failures - CAUTION

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-16, 07:24 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Liked 30 Times in 26 Posts
I will never use Di2. Why? There are too many things in my life that need plugged in/charged/etc. Cycling is my escape. If I forgot to charge the computer, I still grab the bike down and ride. If my phone is low, I turn it off, grab the bike, and ride.

I bet Di2 works great. But I don't care. I don't want another thing in my life with an Eff-ing charger. ESPECIALLY not my bike.
Old 06-16-16, 08:25 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Liked 277 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by banzai
i will never use di2. Why? There are too many things in my life that need plugged in/charged/etc. Cycling is my escape. If i forgot to charge the computer, i still grab the bike down and ride. If my phone is low, i turn it off, grab the bike, and ride.

I bet di2 works great. But i don't care. I don't want another thing in my life with an eff-ing charger. Especially not my bike.
amen!!
Old 06-16-16, 08:32 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Liked 277 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by ltxi
Just like with cars....any real progress ended post mid-50's Chevys.
That's just a stupid comment. Of course there has been technology changes in new cars that are better than old stuff (except for looks, the looks were far better in the 50's, too bad you can't get to the Auburn museum in Auburn Indiana and spend about 3 hours looking at the cars, then when you leave and go into the parking lot you'll say to yourself: "Crap, we drive schity looking cars!", but I digest) Modern car technology like crumple zones is superior to old cars no doubt, but crumple zones have nothing to do with electronics. But my point in the quote you're banging your head with is reliability and what is the best field serviceable system and the electronic shifting system is not even close, it's a distant fourth.
Old 06-16-16, 12:13 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Liked 894 Times in 458 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
There is just too much that can go wrong with electronic shifting vs any other form, and the technology is so foreign that some bike shops don't really know how to fix them yet as one poster mentioned. So I will have to disagree with you at this point in time, perhaps when they've been on the market for 15 years maybe the bugs will completely out of it and they'll become the rage of the world in cycling.

But I do agree with you that the most field serviceable and the most reliable system ever created is the downtube (or bar ends) friction shifters, it's for that reason I have them on my touring bike.
I didn't make any point about the complexity or lack thereof of Di2. My point was that if it does cease to work, there's no reason you can't still get home. Pick a gear, make the bike a single speed, and ride home. It's the same as breaking a derailleur cable, or a malfunctioning brifter. Only consequence is you're limited to one gear, but no reason you cant get home riding the bike.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 06-16-16, 04:48 PM
ltxi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
That's just a stupid comment. Of course there has been technology changes in new cars that are better than old stuff (except for looks, the looks were far better in the 50's, too bad you can't get to the Auburn museum in Auburn Indiana and spend about 3 hours looking at the cars, then when you leave and go into the parking lot you'll say to yourself: "Crap, we drive schity looking cars!", but I digest) Modern car technology like crumple zones is superior to old cars no doubt, but crumple zones have nothing to do with electronics. But my point in the quote you're banging your head with is reliability and what is the best field serviceable system and the electronic shifting system is not even close, it's a distant fourth.
Hot damn...no one has every taken me seriously before.
Old 03-27-17, 02:13 PM
alston28

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Di2 discharged; keeps resetting

I was off the bike for 2 weeks. Battery completely drained. Does this mean I have a short? Is this typical? I would have thought the charge would last a lot longer. Also, since adding the add-on that shows you battery life of the Di2 on your Garmin (forgot what it's called), from time to time it goes into adjustment mode. I just hit the remote (for my Garmin) and it takes me back to my Garmin data screen. Neither Garmin nor Shimano have an explanation. Any thoughts? Not a huge problem but it's annoying. The only other problem I've had was when my cable cracked and I lost the ability to shift. Thanks.
Old 03-27-17, 04:18 PM
flatlander_48
Cathedral City, CA

Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Interesting. It is surprising to lose power so quickly and yes, I would suspect a short. Bicycles vibrate a lot when ridden so it makes me wonder if you have some insulation woen through or perhaps a cable tie that is too tight...
Old 04-23-17, 03:45 AM
francoisvdb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Di2 Failure

Hi Guys,
I have faced some issues with Di2 in the past weeks. It happened twice that my rear derailleur was not moving at all during my ride. The wire was correctly plugged into the rear derailleur and the battery was fully charged. After not using the bike for a few days, Di2 suddenly functioned again. I went for another ride, and the same issue occurred.
Does anyone know what this issue could be?
Thanks in advance.
Old 04-23-17, 06:31 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by alston28
I was off the bike for 2 weeks. Battery completely drained. Does this mean I have a short? Is this typical? I would have thought the charge would last a lot longer. Also, since adding the add-on that shows you battery life of the Di2 on your Garmin (forgot what it's called), from time to time it goes into adjustment mode. I just hit the remote (for my Garmin) and it takes me back to my Garmin data screen. Neither Garmin nor Shimano have an explanation. Any thoughts? Not a huge problem but it's annoying. The only other problem I've had was when my cable cracked and I lost the ability to shift. Thanks.

Was your bike leaned against something? If a shift button is pressed (as when the shifter is leaned against something), the system doesn't know to stop shifting and it discharges the battery. This happened to me once. Now, when I lean the bike, I always make sure there's clearance between the shifter and whatever I'm leaning the bike against.
Old 04-23-17, 08:38 AM
wachuko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Banzai
I will never use Di2. Why? There are too many things in my life that need plugged in/charged/etc. Cycling is my escape. If I forgot to charge the computer, I still grab the bike down and ride. If my phone is low, I turn it off, grab the bike, and ride.

I bet Di2 works great. But I don't care. I don't want another thing in my life with an Eff-ing charger. ESPECIALLY not my bike.
I am new to all this, but that was my exact reaction when I started reading on them. I don't want another anything with a charger
Old 04-23-17, 10:04 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Liked 407 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by wachuko
I am new to all this, but that was my exact reaction when I started reading on them. I don't want another anything with a charger
Battery lasts weeks. Not a huge deal at all. Di2 isn't like your cellphone that needs nightly feeding.
Old 04-23-17, 02:23 PM
flatlander_48
Cathedral City, CA

Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
We all want different things out of our riding experiences, so it's understood that electronic shifting is embraced by some and noot by others. However, to me it is always curious when people state very vehemently that they don't want electronic shifting. Who are them trying to convince?
Old 04-23-17, 02:47 PM
wachuko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Battery lasts weeks. Not a huge deal at all. Di2 isn't like your cellphone that needs nightly feeding.
Not against it... cost of entry was too high for me. And being new to the sport I wanted to keep things simple and budget in control.
Old 04-23-17, 03:06 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Originally Posted by wachuko
Not against it... cost of entry was too high for me. And being new to the sport I wanted to keep things simple and budget in control.
Cost is a problem, genuinely. Then again, costs have spiraled out of control on bicycles this millennium in short order IMHO. "Simple" is relative BTW. You ever see an exploded parts diagram for a Campag Ergo? Ever try to take one apart and rebuild it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ergoprtc.jpg (22.9 KB, 268 views)
Old 04-23-17, 03:47 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Banzai

And we should care . . . why?
Old 04-23-17, 04:46 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Liked 738 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by francoisvdb
Hi Guys,
I have faced some issues with Di2 in the past weeks. It happened twice that my rear derailleur was not moving at all during my ride. The wire was correctly plugged into the rear derailleur and the battery was fully charged. After not using the bike for a few days, Di2 suddenly functioned again. I went for another ride, and the same issue occurred.
Does anyone know what this issue could be?
Thanks in advance.

Always do the easy and cheap thing first.
  1. Loose connection at Junction B
  2. Faulty wire
  3. Bad derailluer.
What does E-Tube software say when you run diagnostics?

-Tim-
Old 04-23-17, 05:01 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
About 30 weeks. I ran mine down deliberately to see what would happen. You get a lot of warning, even if you ingnore the LED advanced warning. The first thing that gives out is the front derailleur. The back still lasts for several more days. The worry about not being able to ride a bike because you forgot to charge it is simply not realistic.

I had no particular interest in Di2, but at the time in order to get hydraulic brakes, it was bundled (as Ultegra). I am not a bit sorry. It has been flawless, (and has helped me overcome a weird psychological inhibition I had with regard to shifting after an injury). In almost 3 years, I have never experienced a bad shift. Ever.

This is from a Luddite who won't even buy himself a cell phone.
Old 04-23-17, 06:05 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Originally Posted by wgscott
About 30 weeks. I ran mine down deliberately to see what would happen. You get a lot of warning, even if you ingnore the LED advanced warning. The first thing that gives out is the front derailleur. The back still lasts for several more days. The worry about not being able to ride a bike because you forgot to charge it is simply not realistic.

I had no particular interest in Di2, but at the time in order to get hydraulic brakes, it was bundled (as Ultegra). I am not a bit sorry. It has been flawless, (and has helped me overcome a weird psychological inhibition I had with regard to shifting after an injury). In almost 3 years, I have never experienced a bad shift. Ever.

This is from a Luddite who won't even buy himself a cell phone.
Strange thing...my Edge 1K warns me every ride about Di2 having low battery. Even when the battery was full and the system newly paired.

Stuff works almost flawlessly in all kinds of weather. Which is why I spec'd it for my gravel grinder adventure non-urban-assault-touring bike. Need to play with calibration mode some more, Di2 doesn't like to shift into my 4th cassette cog.
Old 04-23-17, 06:54 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Strange thing...my Edge 1K warns me every ride about Di2 having low battery. Even when the battery was full and the system newly paired.
My Polar V650 does the same thing with Wahoo RPM sensor batteries.

I think there is something inherently wrong with how GPS units measure battery utilization.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 04-23-17 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-23-17, 06:56 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Originally Posted by TimothyH
My Polar V650 does the same thing with sensor batteries.

There is something inherently wrong with how GPS units measure battery utilization.

-Tim-
Hinky.

Went and did S1 mode instead of S2 synchro shift tonight for 20 miles found some FD cage rubbing...1 minute of adjustment mode (and one adjust position over) and a slight angle adjustment of the FD and it shifts like it should.
Old 04-24-17, 03:16 AM
francoisvdb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Solutions

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Always do the easy and cheap thing first.
  1. Loose connection at Junction B
  2. Faulty wire
  3. Bad derailluer.
What does E-Tube software say when you run diagnostics?

-Tim-
Think you time for your help. I do not have the SM-PCE1 to connect Di2 with the E-tube software. Are there any particular things I have to look at of the points you have mentioned?
Old 04-24-17, 06:37 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by francoisvdb
Think you time for your help. I do not have the SM-PCE1 to connect Di2 with the E-tube software. Are there any particular things I have to look at of the points you have mentioned?
You might have a shop look at it with the software. The software has diagnostics or "check for problems" or some such thing. An intermittent problem might not show up in the software however.

I would check the connections - disconnect and reconnect with the Shimano tool. Depending on the design of the frame this may require pulling the bottom bracket out. If the problem is intermittent then it may make sense to proactively replace the wire to the rear derailleur while the bottom bracket is apart.

All the above assumes the latest generation Di2 and internal routing. I really don't know about other versions.

-Tim-
Old 05-01-17, 02:50 PM
vze23c3q

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had an odd thing happen this morning, seems somewhat relevant.

I got caught out in the rain (more like downpour) yesterday. Bike did fine coming home, Garmin said 70% left on the Di2 battery.

After the ride with the bike on a stand, I removed the chain and wheels to clean and dry everything. I also pulled the plug/cover under the crank to make sure no water was inside the frame (there wasn’t.)

I went to reassemble this morning and the Di2 was dead, no lights or movement. Pulled the seat post and battery was still secure and connected, but damp. Connected the computer and all components were recognized so I did the crash reset. Sure enough the derailleurs moved through their sequence. Battery check showed solid red and Garmin confirmed 15% battery left. So something depleted the battery and put it in crash mode yet nothing was near either derailleur as there was no chain or rear wheel installed.

Everything is back together now and working normal. Battery on the charger, we’ll see what happens.
Old 05-01-17, 03:02 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by vze23c3q
I had an odd thing happen this morning, seems somewhat relevant.

I got caught out in the rain (more like downpour) yesterday. Bike did fine coming home, Garmin said 70% left on the Di2 battery.

After the ride with the bike on a stand, I removed the chain and wheels to clean and dry everything. I also pulled the plug/cover under the crank to make sure no water was inside the frame (there wasn’t.)

I went to reassemble this morning and the Di2 was dead, no lights or movement. Pulled the seat post and battery was still secure and connected, but damp. Connected the computer and all components were recognized so I did the crash reset. Sure enough the derailleurs moved through their sequence. Battery check showed solid red and Garmin confirmed 15% battery left. So something depleted the battery and put it in crash mode yet nothing was near either derailleur as there was no chain or rear wheel installed.

Everything is back together now and working normal. Battery on the charger, we’ll see what happens.
if it was left in the stand overnight, and the stand was grounded and the damp battery created a short? maybe...
Old 05-01-17, 03:33 PM
vze23c3q

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No, big rubber feet on the Spin Doctor.

About 40 minutes on the charger and it's sold green, 90% on the Garmin. Hopefully it will still be 90% in the morning.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.