Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Specialized Roubaix w/Sram Apex - Opinions Please

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Specialized Roubaix w/Sram Apex - Opinions Please

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-11, 11:56 AM
bonz50

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
personally, I think all of the current Apex/Carbon bikes to be fantastic bargains... roubaix and synapse are tops for the 'comfort' road bikes too...try em and buy the one you like best...

eta - I just bought an AL bike with Apex, first time i had even ridden Apex was the test ride, I bought the bike immediately, love the SRAM stuff...

Last edited by bonz50; 05-31-11 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-31-11, 01:48 PM
CarolinaGuy
Either Writing or Riding

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Roubaix - SRAM Apex Groupset

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eippo1
FWIW, the entry level Roubaix of 2011 is a huge step up from the 2010 version - they did a great thing when they used the SL2 molds for the Elite and the Comp. I rode a Tarmac Comp 2010 was way impressed with my friend's SL2 in comparison. So much that I ended up selling the 2010 and getting a 2011 SL3 (only reason I went for the SL3 is because it was available in a frameset and I work in a shop). The same thing happened with the Roubaix and the Elite is an awesome bike.
This is very good to see... I had heard that the 2011 was pretty big step forward and it's nice to see that confirmed.
Old 05-31-11, 01:49 PM
CarolinaGuy
Either Writing or Riding

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Roubaix - SRAM Apex Groupset

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bonz50
personally, I think all of the current Apex/Carbon bikes to be fantastic bargains... roubaix and synapse are tops for the 'comfort' road bikes too...try em and buy the one you like best...

eta - I just bought an AL bike with Apex, first time i had even ridden Apex was the test ride, I bought the bike immediately, love the SRAM stuff...
I haven't tried the Synapse yet, but the shop I'm working with carries both. I'm trying to work out a good time for an extended test ride on each. Thanks.
Old 05-31-11, 08:00 PM
chuckstyl5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Synapse with APEX and love it!!! The shifting is fantastic!!
Old 08-28-17, 10:14 PM
Roderick77

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are there any Roubaix SL2 Apex riders still around? I'm thinking of buying one off Craigslist that has a stock setup and looks great.

This will be my first road bike, so I'm a little nervous about getting off to a good start. I have been wanting a 2017 Roubaix SL4 Sport until I found this for a great price ($700 or maybe less!). Didn't go with the 2017 model because no LBS around has it in stock.

I met the owner over the weekend to checkout the bike, and it'll maybe just need new tires and a good fitting at my LBS. I'll meet up with the owner again Wednesday or Thursday for a test ride, as it was pouring hard when we first met up.

Any suggestions?

--Rod
Old 08-29-17, 05:56 AM
Roderick77

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One more thing...the bike comes with the stock All Condition with Flak Jacket tires, 700x23c. Can anyone recommend a good and lite replacement?
Old 08-29-17, 06:32 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
I'll never go back to Shimano. I have Red and Rival and love them.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 08-29-17, 06:55 AM
bonz50

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
almost exactly 6yrs later you return to the same thread. nicely done.

neigbor of mine has a Roubaix Apex, nice bike, he's still riding the hell out of it with nary an issue. a slong as the bike is clean and cared for it should be fine.

GP4000 ii tires, 700x25, ride the piss out of it.
Old 08-29-17, 07:43 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Love a good necro. So I was one of the original posters to this thread stating that we had just bought my (now ex) wife the Ruby version. I can report that she loved the bike and it's still going strong. I put Conti GP 4 Seasons on it in 28mm to replace the stock rubber. They run a bit small so it's more like a 25mm from most companies. GP4k would be great too...but go for the 25mm in those.
Old 08-29-17, 02:28 PM
Roderick77

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your input guys! I've never tried out any SRAM components, but I think I'll just dive in with this bike.
Old 08-29-17, 03:41 PM
Masque

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, 2011 and 2017

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my 2011 SL2 Apex Comp.

But since my 2017 entered the house, I haven't ridden it more than a few miles. Just a completely unfair comparison, and I'd recommend driving to find a 2017.
Old 08-30-17, 07:34 AM
Roderick77

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Masque, I called the shops within 200 miles and they've sold out of their 52cm and 54cm inventory of the SL4 Sport. I'd love the Comp in any color, but it's out of my budget range by $800-$1,000, even if it were discounted to under $3,000.

I told my wife that I'd get the used one and save up $3,000+ if I really enjoy biking and stick with it. It's an easy sell if I see pounds coming off my body and I'm enjoying it at the same time. Hopefully the SL2 w/SRAM hold value for the next couple years to boost the bike budget even higher!
Old 08-30-17, 08:02 AM
bonz50

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Roderick77
Thanks for your input guys! I've never tried out any SRAM components, but I think I'll just dive in with this bike.
I have one bike with Apex and another with Rival. I feel my Rival bike shifts/operates a little smoother than the Apex bike but both are very good. My Apex bike has Tektro brakes, the Rival brakes are significantly better, however, the Apex brakes may be better than the Tektro's also but I don't know for sure. I should put them on so they match though. both bikes have shimano 5700 cassette, 12-28. both have SRAM 1071 chains. it's probably as simple as the rival bike being dialed in a bit closer to perfect than the apex bike. good stuff, I don't think you'll regret it.
Old 08-30-17, 08:12 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
In regards to SRAM in general it's what I ride. My 2012 Giant has RED shifters, YAW FD, brakes and cranks with an Apex WiFli RD. At the time SRAM didn't make a RED level WiFli RD but the differences between the levels was only material used and thus weight. APEX and Rival RD from that time were the exact same part in reality. Force added some lighter bits and RED added a few more. My 2013 Vaya is built with all Rival with the exception of the RED Yaw FD. Note about that FD...the original SRAM FD was a bit ****ty...the 2nd gen FD the YAW design is MUCH better and even though the SRAM charts say it doesn't work with the earlier shifters/cranks it in fact does work just fine.
Old 02-02-18, 01:12 PM
Supralative

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just wanted to add some info as well
I just got a 2012 Roubaix Apex Compact
Its my 3rd Roubaix
2nd with SRAM Apex
Im just looking to upgrade the crankset as well....but powerspline BB leaves you with limited options
Reasearch shows you can do the threaded English BB and it opens it up abit
Gonna check with local Specialized LBS to see what options are available as well
Old 02-02-18, 03:51 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Supralative
Just wanted to add some info as well
I just got a 2012 Roubaix Apex Compact
Its my 3rd Roubaix
2nd with SRAM Apex
Im just looking to upgrade the crankset as well....but powerspline BB leaves you with limited options
Reasearch shows you can do the threaded English BB and it opens it up abit
Gonna check with local Specialized LBS to see what options are available as well
If it's a threaded bb you have a lot of options. If I recall, they only made one model Roubaix that year with a threaded BB and I have it. (Elite, or something). GXP BB and red cranks on mine.
Old 02-09-18, 11:49 AM
Supralative

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Found a good deal on a new Rival compact crank with the GXP BB as well
Hopefully I can get it installed next week
Other than that the bike should be done
Will post up some pics once its all ready
Old 02-11-18, 06:10 PM
bleui

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Grasschopper
...the 2nd gen FD the YAW design is MUCH better and even though the SRAM charts say it doesn't work with the earlier shifters/cranks it in fact does work just fine.
good to know, I was going to start a thread about this
Old 02-17-18, 06:51 PM
Supralative

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GXP BB is in with new Rival OCT crankset
Saved me about 1/2lb on the bike
Havent had a chance to ride it but looks good and all