Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Vintage sleeping bag thread?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-18, 02:58 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts

I just found this old bag this morning, at a thrift store, for about $20 after tax. There's some interest in the old "brown label" stuff from TNF, but actual facts like temp ratings are hard to find. 🤔
There was a strong suggestion on one site, that their red bags are the warmest, but I hesitate to call that a fact, lol. 😉
Anyways, feel free to post facts or opinions, and pics, as long as it's somewhat on topic. 😁
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
WP_20180315_12_09_59_Pro.jpg (627.7 KB, 144 views)
WP_20180315_12_11_06_Pro (2).jpg (723.6 KB, 143 views)
Old 03-15-18, 03:05 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Liked 2,014 Times in 972 Posts
Vintage polyester is the best. Much better than new polyester.
Old 03-15-18, 03:09 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Another try, for the actual brown label. 😉
Attached Images
WP_20180315_12_11_33_Pro(1).jpg (1.63 MB, 151 views)
Old 03-15-18, 03:35 PM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Way back when I first thought of bike touring, I didn't know anything about bags, and didn't know there was anything to know, and had no internet to consult. In the closet were half a dozen cotton sleeping bags that rolled up to about the size of a bail of hay, and one, army-issue, wool sleeping bag that had belonged to my grandfather. It actually rolled up to a reasonable size.

I think I took that bag on three separate bike trips over the course of two years, and I woke up freezing every morning. I lost it in a fire a couple of years ago, and I'm not too thrilled about that. For nostalgic reasons only. I had no desire to sleep in it ever again. I'll take modern gear from here on out.
Old 03-15-18, 04:21 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts
They probably sew with polyester thread..
Old 03-15-18, 04:55 PM
prathmann

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Started with a K-Mart special cotton bag that was simultaneously huge, heavy, and cold. Took that on a short bike tour down part of the Calif. coast and backpacking in the Grand Canyon. Then Dave Baker of the Summit Hut in Tucson led a free overnight intro to backpacking trip in the Catalina which turned out colder than expected. He mentioned that he had a couple extra very compact down sleeping bags in his slim pack which convinced me that something better than my cotton bag might be worthwhile.

So when the Summit Hut offered a sale on a factory second North Face down bag (Blue Kazoo) I made sure to get there early and grab it. That was 43 years ago and I've taken that bag on at least a few backpack or bike camping trips every year since then. About a third the weight, a fifth the size, and twice the warmth of that old cotton bag.
Old 03-15-18, 05:26 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Liked 1,155 Times in 641 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
The handrolled nylon fibres in that bag are much better than these new fangled machine made nylon fibres they have nowadays...
Old 03-15-18, 05:29 PM
Doug64

Liked 860 Times in 444 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
IME I'll take modern synthetics for weight and efficacy any day.
Old 03-15-18, 06:42 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Liked 2,417 Times in 1,363 Posts
I can imagine you are probably trying to determine the model so as to determine the rated temperature.

Unfortunately I would doubt if anybody at NF would even know as they’ve been sold a few times and that’s IF you knew the model.

I have synthetic bags as made by NF for Eastern Mt. Sports, way back in the early 70’s. They still have most of their loft, thus are likely about 10 - 15 degrees less warm then when new.

Agree with Doug though, the new stuff is better, but $20 is a good deal considering the bag was likely $150 or so new, 30 years ago.
Old 03-15-18, 06:47 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Liked 1,590 Times in 1,231 Posts
If that 9/84 notation is month and year, that would be about mid-range in age compared to my collection. I think my oldest bag is a duck down bag from 1972 from Gerry. My warmest bag would be late 70s, a Snow Lion that I bought after the company folded, the bag was rated for minus 40 but I thought it was only good for about minus 10 or minus 15 (F).

Polyester, I wonder if that is Polarguard? Polarguard was available in the 70s.
Old 03-15-18, 07:09 PM
skidder

Bikes: Yes

Liked 1,686 Times in 1,149 Posts
The fill in that bag is probably the old 'Polarguard" polyester, a hollow filament fiber that TNF used instead of the more popular, lighter, (but not as durable) Qualofill polyester fiber. That was back in the day when their bags were 'over-engineered', so that if you bought a bag rated for 30F, you would be warm at 30F, and the bag would last. I had one of their bags, a 'Bigfoot' model, and it lasted quite a few years. The only reason its gone is a raccoon got into my tent and tore it up. I still have a down-filled 'superlight' model from that era that I bought for $99 at their discount store in San Leandro (just south of Oakland); at that time the regular price was about $170. Its just a hi-thread-count ripstop nylon fabric shell with 550-fill down, rated for 15F, and it still works great.
Old 03-16-18, 06:51 AM
John N

Bikes: Co-Motion Americano Pinion P18; Co-Motion Americano Rohloff; Thorn Nomad MkII, Robert Beckman Skakkit (FOR SALE), Santana Tandem, ICE Adventure FS

Liked 79 Times in 58 Posts
I still have a 1981 TNF Gold Kazoo, a Blue Kazoo with Goretex outer fabric. It has been used for probably over 350 nights. The down loft has started to break down I guess as the loft is about half it used to be. I called TNF a decade or so ago and asked about their "lifetime warranty". They didn't cover it due to normal wear and tear. Reasonable I guess but sort of wished they had. Regardless, I still use it for my "hot" summer bag, i.e. nights above 70*F. Hope my other bags last as long.
Old 03-16-18, 08:07 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
If that 9/84 notation is month and year, that would be about mid-range in age compared to my collection. I think my oldest bag is a duck down bag from 1972 from Gerry. My warmest bag would be late 70s, a Snow Lion that I bought after the company folded, the bag was rated for minus 40 but I thought it was only good for about minus 10 or minus 15 (F).

Polyester, I wonder if that is Polarguard? Polarguard was available in the 70s.
Yeah, I was assuming that "9/84" was probably the date of manufacture. What I noticed most, was the address in Berkely, which was their first real factory, from what I read. Not saying this was an early one, they got started in the early-mid '70s, but this one's still well made. Good thick nylon, that holds the heat in better than thinner stuff, I'd think. 🙂
Old 03-16-18, 08:39 AM
prathmann

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TulsaJohn
I still have a 1981 TNF Gold Kazoo, a Blue Kazoo with Goretex outer fabric. It has been used for probably over 350 nights. The down loft has started to break down I guess as the loft is about half it used to be. I called TNF a decade or so ago and asked about their "lifetime warranty". They didn't cover it due to normal wear and tear. Reasonable I guess but sort of wished they had.
Actually makes me feel better about the regular Blue Kazoo I bought back in '74. It was marked down as a factory second and has the 'o' in NF blacked out to make it clear it's not eligible for the warranty. Mine has almost the original amount of loft and I still use it in freezing conditions. But I sometimes wondered if it would have been better to get one with the warranty since mine will certainly start to fail at some point.
Old 03-16-18, 12:12 PM
alan s 

Liked 191 Times in 130 Posts
Vintage sleeping bag is kind of like vintage underwear.
Old 03-16-18, 01:18 PM
skimaxpower

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This would be fine for summer car-camping or kids' slumber parties.

For modern bike touring, save your money and get a down bag made in the past decade. It'll compress much smaller, weigh less, and insulate better.
Old 03-16-18, 03:36 PM
fietsbob
Banned

My vintage bag Marmot CBS.. bottom is the Thermarest. (was eggshell foam.).

thinking Exped, synth/down filled, can roll smaller than thermarest..

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-16-18 at 11:27 PM.
Old 03-16-18, 04:43 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
Hilarious!

Reminds me of my first sleeping bag, which was an old green Boy Scouts bag that my mother got from one of her sisters. Cotton within and without. Stunk like hell, but I was so happy to get it!
Old 03-16-18, 06:14 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Hopefully, most of us have enough common sense to WASH a used sleeping bag, before sleeping in it. 🙄
And I wouldn't even consider used underwear, vintage or not. But it's all cool, you're just voicing an opinion, right? 😉
Old 03-16-18, 11:30 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Has to be a Collector's Underwear market , the Provenance of Celebrity past owners is hard to trace, though...
Old 03-17-18, 01:14 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Liked 353 Times in 239 Posts
the cost of DNA testing has come down recently.

...Elvis Presley's underpants
Queen Victoria's bloomers
....Monica Lewinsky's negligee

https://www.justcollecting.com/vinta...rity-underwear

Celebrity underwear has long attracted interest - and big bucks - with garments once owned or worn
by the likes of Ed Sheeran, Kelly Brook and Dame Helen Mirren a big attraction at auctions....

Why do people collect celebrity underwear? - BBC News

https://www.ebay.com/itm/celebrity-o...cAAOSwOMlapp0n

but as this is a cycling forum, i'd like to bid on something related to
biking, like lance armstrong's doping needles!
Old 03-17-18, 07:45 AM
indyfabz

Liked 17,476 Times in 8,172 Posts
Not always. You can find some good deals on unused vintage underwear:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Cal...wAAOSwA1paorR6
Old 03-17-18, 09:38 AM
Jonathan Hanson 

Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
A vintage sleeping bag is fun, but even the best synthetic insulation from that era loses loft significantly over time. Whatever its original rating was is pretty much irrelevant now. You can simply try it and see what your current comfort level is.
Old 03-17-18, 12:05 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Originally Posted by Jonathan Hanson
A vintage sleeping bag is fun, but even the best synthetic insulation from that era loses loft significantly over time. Whatever its original rating was is pretty much irrelevant now. You can simply try it and see what your current comfort level is.
I understand what you're saying, but that's part of why I looked at this bag. The loft is excellent, must have been stored properly, and not seen much actual use. 🙂
As for the used underwear, maybe I need to open my mind, and stop being such a prude? 🤔 👼😁
Old 03-18-18, 11:50 PM
raria

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Beat me to it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.