Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cantis to mini-Vs?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Cantis to mini-Vs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-18, 10:01 AM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
Cantis to mini-Vs?

I built a bicycle around a Marin Lucas Valley Alp frame and Kinesis Crosslight 3 fork. The Marin frame is a flat-bar road frame and the fork is for a cyclocross. I suspected they would be compatible and I think I'm correct. If I remember correctly, there's about 21mm clearance between the 32c Vittoria Randonneur tires and the frame & fork. I had installed Deore V-brakes and levers because that's what I had on hand at the time. However, I googled pics of the Crosslight 3 and saw many with cantilever brakes. The pads on the full-sized V-brakes are at the maximum height. I also installed the brakes in the third hole on the frame. Anyway, there's too much tension on the brake levers (even if the brakes work). There was also NO tension at all when I installed the V-brakes in the 1rst or 2nd hole.

My question is this: "If I install mini-Vs, will I be able to install them in the 2nd hole on the frame and will the brake pads be in the middle of the slot on the mini-Vs?"

I know it sounds peculiar as a question but I saw threads were people were replacing cantis with mini-Vs but there was no talk about whether the mini-Vs would be completely compatible with the frame and fork. (For those wondering, I read cantis were prefered only with people who wanted to compete in cyclocross where you can have a lot of mud on the mini-Vs. But this is a commuter bike with fenders and backrack where mud is not a factor and plenty say they prefer the braking power of mini-Vs compared to cantis.) I measured a 5mm difference between the wheel axle and brake bosses on the frame & fork compared to a hybrid bike with full-sized V-brakes. So my guess is that's why full-sized V-brakes are a "problem" on the Marin flat-bar road frame.
Old 03-22-18, 10:27 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts
Huh? to many unknowns and un measured ..

why not just try it , it's not rocket science.. A mini V can only work if the cable clears the tire...

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-22-18 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-22-18, 10:40 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Liked 801 Times in 591 Posts
I have interchanged traditional cantilever brakes with Tektro Mini-Vs before, and have always set the spring in the middle hole in the brake boss.
Old 03-22-18, 10:41 AM
jimc101

Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Are you brake levers compatible with the Deore brakes? no mention of this, Deore (and all regular MTB type V brakes) need a different cable pull to canti/mini-v's without adapters they are not compatible. Would initially be looking at this, and then seeing what is cheapest, all new brakes, or brake levers.
Old 03-22-18, 10:55 AM
skimaxpower

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you install cantis or mini-v brakes, you will have to change your brake levers. This is a potentially expensive proposition.
Old 03-22-18, 11:03 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts
The pads on the full-sized V-brakes are at the maximum height.
then you may want a brake with a longer slot, OR..
Pauls Full V brake arm is round and the pad holder/collar piece grips it .. at any place on that round arm..

https://paulcomp.com/shop/components/motolite/ / https://paulcomp.com/wp-content/uplo...8/motolite.pdf

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-22-18 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-22-18, 11:20 AM
pesty
Master Sarcaster

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm having a little trouble following what you're saying, but from what it sounds like, you're wanting to switch from full length V to mini-V based on an issue with the spring tension?

So if I'm correct in reading that you're using both Deore levers and V-brakes, you're probably not going to want to go to mini-V brakes. As others have mentioned, the cable pull is going to be different than what you need with those levers, or probably more accurately, the brake arm movement will be off.

You could go canti, but you want longer armed ones designed for MTB/City bike levers. In general, you're going to get better brake performance out of V brakes than canti's, so unless you have a need to switch, I'd stay with V's. Honestly if it were me, I'd be looking at why you're not getting enough spring tension with the Deore brakes first. Could be weak springs, could be brake setup. Maybe check out Sheldon Browns setup guide, see if there might be some ideas there or something you may have missed.

[edit] Or are you saying the brake pad isn't hitting the rim? In which case, maybe something like [MENTION=197614]fietsbob[/MENTION] suggested.

Last edited by pesty; 03-22-18 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-22-18, 12:35 PM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by hybridbkrdr
My question is this: "If I install mini-Vs, will I be able to install them in the 2nd hole on the frame and will the brake pads be in the middle of the slot on the mini-Vs?"
Whether you're using cantilever brakes, v-brakes, or mini-v's, the pad height adjustment should have similar range. They're all designed to use posts mounted at the same height on the frame or fork, relative to the rim.

For those wondering, I read cantis were prefered only with people who wanted to compete in cyclocross where you can have a lot of mud on the mini-Vs. But this is a commuter bike with fenders and backrack where mud is not a factor and plenty say they prefer the braking power of mini-Vs compared to cantis...
Cantilever brakes give more clearance for mud, but that's not the only clearance advantage they have. Because cantilever brake straddle cables don't run straight from arm to arm, but instead go up and over a yoke, they give plenty of room to mount fenders. That's not always the case for v-brakes, and I suspect mini-v's could be especially problematic with fenders.

I measured a 5mm difference between the wheel axle and brake bosses on the frame & fork compared to a hybrid bike with full-sized V-brakes. So my guess is that's why full-sized V-brakes are a "problem" on the Marin flat-bar road frame.
Are the bikes you measured designed for the same wheel size? If so, the boss placement should be the same, or at least pretty darn close.
Old 03-22-18, 01:01 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Sorry, couldn't wade through all that but, just fyi decent cantis don't lack stopping power; some mini-Vs do.
Old 03-22-18, 06:51 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I have interchanged traditional cantilever brakes with Tektro Mini-Vs before, and have always set the spring in the middle hole in the brake boss.
Ok, this is what I wanted to hear. Thank you all for the responses.
Old 05-27-18, 01:47 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

I installed Shimano mini-V brakes (BR-R353) with Shimano short-pull brake levers (BL-R550) and it works on the second hole with the right amount of tension. I know the brakes are supposed to be Sora level and the brake levers Tiagra level but they do work together well (just tested indoors for now). By the way, I did have to adjust the side screws just a bit to add tension because right out of the box, they seemed just a bit "loose".

Just to confirm the compatibility for those wondering, this was on a flat-bar road bike (Marin Lucas Valley Alp frame) with cyclocross forks (Kinesis Crosslight 3 fork). And I ordered this from bike24 in Germany (even though shipping was 20 Euros, it was a large order).