Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Old 08-06-18, 12:18 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh

I’ll start with the mostly unloaded 520. The only things in the panniers is my Hiplock and tool/patch kit pouch. They could easily fit in one pannier but I like the balanced look of both instead of just one. They’ll get swapped with the loaded Ortliebs and stay there until my next visit. The handlebar bag will contain granola bars, Gu, phone and sunblock. I was contemplating pre positioning the 520 and riding the Smoothie for day 1 but I don’t know when I’ll be back down to get the bike. Instead I’ll just suck it up and ride the heavy 520 but at least it’s 25 lbs lighter without the panniers! Tuesday I’ll ride from Mashpee to the Shining Sea path to the ferry terminal for a 2 night stay at the campground on the Vineyard. Thursday I’ll take the ferry to Hyannis and ride to Nickerson where I’ll spend the night before taking the Friday afternoon high speed ferry to Boston and then home. My goal is to rack up at least 50 miles each day after Monday’s haul which should be around 100.

The rest of the time will be spent in my beach chair (actually it’s a lightweight camp chair) on the beach with a book and a carbonated beverage of choice

That sounds like an awesome trip/tour, also looking forward to the report (I've biked from the ferry landing to Gay Head, taking the bike ferry in Menemsha - very memorable). A couple of questions - what kind of chair do you have and what kind of GPS mount is that, Garmin series by any chance? I've been looking to resurrect my bulky Garmin 62S and use it on the bike but so far had to resort to velcro.
Old 08-06-18, 12:20 PM
autonomy

Originally Posted by rholland1951
Dockless submarine?
rod
I'm sure we'll come to that some day as well... but not as dockless as one may think (pun intended?)

Now I'm seeing a left-handed high-five with a pinch flat...

rod
It's all about perspective, isn't it
Old 08-06-18, 05:21 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by autonomy
That sounds like an awesome trip/tour, also looking forward to the report (I've biked from the ferry landing to Gay Head, taking the bike ferry in Menemsha - very memorable). A couple of questions - what kind of chair do you have and what kind of GPS mount is that, Garmin series by any chance? I've been looking to resurrect my bulky Garmin 62S and use it on the bike but so far had to resort to velcro.
the chair is an REI Flexlight. Its under 2lbs and fits in one of the rear Ortlieb panniers with my tent. The GPS mount is a Garmin eTrex handlebar mount. It can be ziptied to the stem or handle bar.
Old 08-06-18, 05:28 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Today was hot and long. I left Waltham at 9:00AM and rode up Com Ave in Boston and got off just before the bride that’s being worked on. The ride from Boston through Brockton was obligatory and not memorable (besides being hot). After Brockton E Bridgewater began to look more scenic which led to the coastal vibe of Plymouth and beyond. I stopped at several convenient stores and libraries for breaks and water. All in all it was a hot and long 103.4 miles to Mashpee. After about 85 miles i was beyond ready for it to be over. I dont think I could have done it if I had the 4 loaded Ortliebs.
Old 08-06-18, 08:02 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 1,730 Times in 885 Posts
Bravo!

rod
Old 08-06-18, 10:58 PM
rholland1951

Took the LHT out in the heat of the day, 3l miles through Arlington, Lexington, Bedford, Carlisle, and Concord, on a familiar variation of the North Bridge loop, out the Minuteman to Depot Park, then Route 225 through Bedford to Skelton Road and River Road in Carlisle and Monument Street in Concord, picking up the Reformatory Branch and taking that back to the Minuteman and home. Temperature in the mid-90s, with aspirations for a little more, but between the breezes that came with the day and the breezes I was making by pedaling, the liter-and-a-half of water that I guzzled was effectively used for evaporative cooling; yay, sweat! I noticed a little haze from time to time, but didn't notice the ozone alert until I got home and checked my email backlog. Oh well, it was a pleasant day in the shade, drinking water while I pedaled. And I had company; of this gentleman, mr_bill said, "He's always there", and he was, too, coming and going.

This big old catalpa tree is my favorite bit of shade. I think it knows things. Hail, Catalpa!

Cyclists undeterred by the heat, briefly benefiting from the catalpa's shade.

From the Lexington DPW:
"Grant Street Bridge work is beginning on Monday (August 6) and includes deleading and repainting of the bridge. There is required containment for that work that will effect both Grant Street and the bikeway. We will be able to keep the bikeway open throughout the duration of the project, however, bikers will need to dismount at the bridge and walk across as the passage will be narrowed to 5 feet with plywood on either side. We are estimating this portion of the work to take approximately 2 weeks and will be 24/7 during that period. There will be a second phase that provides restrictions as well and will keep you informed as we work through those details.

Signage will be put in place instructing bicyclists of this restriction and to dismount.

Please pass this through the bike community so they are aware and ask them for their patience with the work and courteousness to the work crews as we continue to make improvements along the bikeway."
And, lo and behold, there's the start of that:

Dismounting and walking through what was, in effect, 3/4 of a covered bridge was no particular hardship, although the guy behind me on the return sailed through no-hands; silly.

Carlisle: this is one of my favorite signs of all time. I noticed that the bluebird house appears to be occupied.

Concord: a quiet afternoon on Plato's Cave Farm. It was a good day for shadows.

The wildflowers were out in force again on the Reformatory Branch.

Sitting in the shade on the Reformatory Branch, looking out over the sun-soaked Great Meadows NWR.

The shady, narrow, intimate bit of the Concord section of the Reformatory Branch.

Lexington: the beaver dam in Tophet Swamp has become a substrate for lush vegetation; aside from the water levels, you might not notice the beavers built it. I suspect this is the way they like it.

Another hot one tomorrow. Stay wet, y'all.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 08-07-18 at 02:58 PM. Reason: If you're getting busted links to any of these images, please let me know.
Old 08-07-18, 07:03 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
With ofo leaving MA, and Quincy joining LimeBike, decided to update the map.

Excluded are university/employer/housing based bikeshares.

Note that Zagster you must start and stop your ride in the City/Town where your ride originated. So if the City/Town has an asterisk, your ride must start and stop there.

Ant Bicycle is less explicit about where you must start and stop your ride. It's ambiguous if you could start in Lynn and ride and park at MIT for example.

-mr. bill
Old 08-07-18, 07:09 AM
sherbornpeddler

Bikes: 3 speeds, mountain, road and recumbent

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
RR. Takes one to know one. Thank you for being so thoughtful as always. I'm working my way back to more active and consistent. The community that is this forum is such a nice mix of information, encouragement, friendship, interesting insight and support.
Old 08-07-18, 08:08 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by sherbornpeddler
RR. …I'm working my way back to more active and consistent. The community that is this forum is such a nice mix of information, encouragement, friendship, interesting insight and support.
Hi sbp,

Always nice to see a post by you, and as noted recently:
It occurs to me that this thread has reached page 300 a few days ago. Congratulations to SBP (@sherbornpeddler) for building to last, and to all of us who have ridden together virtually here over the years.

For those who haven't yet done so, exploring the early days of the thread is interesting reading.

rod
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Well said @rholland1951, and Hear, Hear. I have frequently described this thread as the de facto Metro Boston Regional Discussion subforum. .
... I like to write up my rides, as do others on a local discussion thread here in Boston, and for me, it’s more a journal for myself, than for the amusement of other subscribers, though I hope others would find it interesting. Of course we in Metro Boston all know the region, and each other, at least electronically, so we are a ready receptive audience for each other.

I have thought of that thread as the cycling equivalent of “apres-ski” after a day on the slopes, where we gather to exchange stories, routes, photos, ribbing, and (?) tall tales
By way of chit-chat, I took note of this recent post on the General Cycling Discussion thread,”Best ride break meal”:
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Please note--this is not a request for nutritional advice or your opinion on in-ride nutrition. There's more than enough threads on those topics.

I have a habit of taking very long single-day rides (greater than 100 miles, so far longest 168), and during those rides I generally take an hour or so off in the middle for a real meal. My question is two-fold: Does anybody else do this, and what's the most enjoyable meal they've had on such a break?...

In terms of actual quality, the best meal I ever had on a ride was a (yes, really) goulash sub from a pizza place located in a gas station convenience store--the family was Hungarian, so the goulash was the real thing, and I've eaten it in Budapest. If you ever are in Sherborn, MA look up Rustic Pizza.

If you're ever in RI, stopping for hot dogs is a no-brainer. Better than Chicago or NY if you ask me.

Mentions of Clif bars and gel packs will definitely be off-topic. What's the best meal you've had during a ride?
Sounds like a destination to ride to.
Old 08-07-18, 08:17 AM
rholland1951

Goulash sub!!!!!

rod
Old 08-07-18, 08:37 AM
rholland1951

Originally Posted by mr_bill

Excluded are university/employer/housing based bikeshares.

Note that Zagster you must start and stop your ride in the City/Town where your ride originated. So if the City/Town has an asterisk, your ride must start and stop there.

Ant Bicycle is less explicit about where you must start and stop your ride. It's ambiguous if you could start in Lynn and ride and park at MIT for example.

-mr. bill
mr. bill, many thanks for this, it's genuinely useful. I took the liberty of passing it along to ABAC.

rod
Old 08-07-18, 09:29 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Hi sbp,

Always nice to see a post by you, and as noted recently: By way of chit-chat, I took note of this recent post on the General Cycling Discussion thread,”Best ride break meal”: Sounds like a destination to ride to.

Thanks for quoting me, Jim! I live in NH, but ride Boston Metro a lot, so now that I know about it, I'll be at least stalking this thread right after I get a chance to read through it--you folks are a wealth of knowledge.

That was my first and so far only ride through Sherborn, but I definitely want to ride through there again, and I want another of those subs. Funny thing is I thought I was ordering a bowl of goulash, but the bread was the best I've ever had in a sub shop, so I definitely was not disappointed.
Old 08-07-18, 09:45 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Sounds like a destination to ride to.
Rustic Pizza, 21 S Main St, Sherborn, MA 01770, that's only 20 miles from my home in Stow'ish & appears to be a straight run South on 27 (more or less) so I'd be less likely to get lost!
Old 08-07-18, 10:18 AM
Jim from Boston

Thanks for quoting me, Jim! I live in NH, but ride Boston Metro a lot, so now that I know about it, I'll be at least stalking this thread right after I get a chance to read through it--you folks are a wealth of knowledge.

That was my first and so far only ride through Sherborn, but I definitely want to ride through there again, and I want another of those subs. Funny thing is I thought I was ordering a bowl of goulash, but the bread was the best I've ever had in a sub shop, so I definitely was not disappointed.
Thanks for your note, and the tip about Rustic Pizza, @livedarklions. I have noted on a few previous threads that you do a lot of long distance riding. FYA, I have posted an informal “Cycling Guide to Metro Boston,” and I described the sector including Sherborn, and especially neighboring Dover as:
Welcome to Boston and environs; I love riding in and around this town. I'm a year round commuter from Kenmore Square downtown to Norwood 14 miles southwest of Boston and an ocasional centurian...

I would describe the sectors as (mostly for road riding outside of Rte 128):…

Western: Lincoln, Lexington, Concord, Wayland, etc: Very ritzy, buccolic and historic; very popular for riding. This area IMO has the steepest hills….

Southwest: Needham, Wellesley, Dover, Medfield, Walpole, Westwood, etc [and Sherborn]: probably more popular than the western burbs; wealthy exurban to rural, moderately hilly country roads, horse farms, mansions
Old 08-07-18, 10:29 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Thanks for your note, and the tip about Rustic Pizza, @livedarklions. I have noted on a few previous threads that you do a lot of long distance riding. FYA, I have posted an informal “Cycling Guide to Metro Boston,” and I described the sector including Sherborn, and especially neighboring Dover as:
Thanks! I'm sure you've done it a million times, but can you post a link to the "Cycling Guide"?
Old 08-07-18, 11:08 AM
Jim from Boston

Thanks! I'm sure you've done it a million times, but can you post a link to the "Cycling Guide?
...FWIW, I have cycled the crazy, haphazard, but delightful streets of Metro Boston for decades, and have freely offered cycling advice, Boston Area Ride thoughts for out of towner,as well as a “Cycling Guide to Metro Boston” In addition I started a thread, Tell me About Cycling in Your City.
My post quoted above (link) is the "Cycling Guide." It's informal and sketchy, meant for the visitor who doesn't know even in which direction to ride. I commented that my favorite map is the AAA Metropolitan Map of Boston, and it also includes some information about MUPS, taking a (fully-assembled) bike on public transit (the subway, aka known as the (T),and Commuter Rail), and a bit about local cycling clubs, and reputable bike shops, that might have bike rentals.

The Guide pre-dated the Hubway Bike Share system, now known as Blue Bikes, and a new system called (?) Lime Bikes.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-07-18 at 12:10 PM. Reason: added additional information about my Cycling Guide
Old 08-07-18, 12:32 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

My post quoted above (link) is the "Cycling Guide." It's informal and sketchy, meant for the visitor who doesn't know even in which direction to ride. I commented that my favorite map is the AAA Metropolitan Map of Boston, and it also includes some information about MUPS, taking a (fully-assembled) bike on public transit (the subway, aka known as the (T),and Commuter Rail), and a bit about local cycling clubs, and reputable bike shops, that might have bike rentals.

The Guide pre-dated the Hubway Bike Share system, now known as Blue Bikes, and a new system called (?) Lime Bikes.

Thanks!

Nashua now has Veoride rental bikes. I'm seeing them everywhere. My sons live in Watertown, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Lime bike.
Old 08-07-18, 04:11 PM
Ghazmh

Admittedly I over exerted myself yesterday. I paid for it today. I left the folks house in Mashpee around 10:30 and headed up 151 to the Shining Sea path. From there I followed it to the end and caught the ferry to the vineyard. It was a struggle to keep my head in it. I felt very thirsty, lethargic and was dreading every pedal stroke. Feeling parched, fatigued and as if I could pass out and knowing the only relief in sight was a sweltering tent I decided to cut my losses and quit. I took the next ferry back and thankfully Mr Ghazmh senior picked me up and brought me back to Mashpee and ultimately will take me back to Waltham tomorrow morning. I am bummed as I was looking forward to it for a few weeks and paid non refundable reservations, but after Monday I dont think the next few days would end up resembling the vision I had for this trip to be. I was also struggling with leaving Mrs Ghazmh and the kids I think ill be off the bike tomorrow.

I did get a nice picture along the Shining Sea.

Old 08-07-18, 04:55 PM
rholland1951

Admittedly I over exerted myself yesterday. I paid for it today. I left the folks house in Mashpee around 10:30 and headed up 151 to the Shining Sea path. From there I followed it to the end and caught the ferry to the vineyard. It was a struggle to keep my head in it. I felt very thirsty, lethargic and was dreading every pedal stroke. Feeling parched, fatigued and as if I could pass out and knowing the only relief in sight was a sweltering tent I decided to cut my losses and quit. I took the next ferry back and thankfully Mr Ghazmh senior picked me up and brought me back to Mashpee and ultimately will take me back to Waltham tomorrow morning. I am bummed as I was looking forward to it for a few weeks and paid non refundable reservations, but after Monday I dont think the next few days would end up resembling the vision I had for this trip to be. I was also struggling with leaving Mrs Ghazmh and the kids I think ill be off the bike tomorrow.

I did get a nice picture along the Shining Sea.

Bad timing. Aside from the heat and humidity, yesterday was the first of two ozone alerts. Tough conditions.

rod
Old 08-08-18, 07:05 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

wise men change their mind, fools never do
Old 08-08-18, 08:31 AM
autonomy

the chair is an REI Flexlight. Its under 2lbs and fits in one of the rear Ortlieb panniers with my tent. The GPS mount is a Garmin eTrex handlebar mount. It can be ziptied to the stem or handle bar.
Thanks!

Bummer! Sometimes you get the bear, and sometimes... But as the hiking community says, the mountains will be there next time. Sometimes we need to realize that it's time to turn back and that is one of the most important skills to have.
And I can totally relate to the struggle of leaving the family.

Originally Posted by mr_bill
I read that Ofo is leaving the US period. Peak bikeshare?
Old 08-08-18, 11:06 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by autonomy
I read that Ofo is leaving the US period. Peak bikeshare?
Why Ofo is Retreating From the Dockless Bikesharing Battle

"Ofo will continue with a small footprint in some markets, such as San Diego, the University of Denver, the Phoenix metro area, and College Station, Texas."

How much longer they will continue with a "small footprint" in the US is hard to say. Their "retreat" has been chaotic at best, such as sending out notices of "good-bye" to Seattle users one day, "oops, never mind" the next day, finally followed by "oops, never mind the never mind, we're so out of here!"

-mr. bill
Old 08-08-18, 06:05 PM
rholland1951

Took the Rawland Nordavinden out for a quick spin up to Lexington Center and back before dinner, on a deep Summer afternoon when we had already had a few showers and were currently getting drizzle with full sun, what my father would have referred to as "the Devil beating his wife", while waiting for the real storms to come if they chose to do so (still in doubt as of this writing). Bought some lemonade from a stand a couple of little kids were running near Woburn Street.

For some reason, the Norda was attracting favorable comments today.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 08-08-18 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-09-18, 12:28 PM
rumrunn6

Wifey w/ her (bollard induced) green cast walking past a bollard along the Le Corridor du littoral bike trail in Quebec City. thought it was kinda funny. btw those Frenchies must really want to snag a passing cyclist with those wings, huh? & by the looks of those scratches, they caught a few!

Last edited by rumrunn6; 08-13-18 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-09-18, 01:02 PM
Ghazmh

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
Wifey w/ her (bollard induced) green cast walking past a bollard along the Le Corridor du littoral bike trail in Quebec City. thought it was kinda funny. btw those Frenchies must really want to snag a passing cyclist with those wings, huh?

yikes!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.