Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Jamis Renegade owners

Old 07-29-19, 07:57 AM
MichaPau

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by holdfast5183
What size did you end up with? I have the 56cm Expat frame, and I feel like it runs just a bit to the small side. I'm looking at the Escapade frameset and considering going up a size and giving the 56 to my wife who is 5 foot 10.
I ended up with the 56cm frame. It fits me very well. (180cm (5'11') ; inseam 84cm (33'')).
I even put half of the spacers on the top to lower the handlebar a bit.

I haven't yet done very long rides but my frequently 30/40 km rides don't give me any pain (shoulders, back etc.);
my body seems to be quite happy with the geometry.

But well, size is always a personal thing, perhaps you can try out the 58cm frame somewhere.
Old 08-16-19, 04:21 PM
loheiman

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
For those with steel frames, running 650b wheels/tires, what tires you are you running, what is their actual width and how much rear chainstay clearance do you have?

I'm a little dissapointed that the 650 x 48mm gravel kings, which measure out to 50mm (on my 22mm inner width rim), only leave ~2mm of clearance on each side. I know the max tire clearance is 47mm, but even at 47mm it would only leave 3-4mm of clearance on each side which is well below what I thought manufacturers use for determining max tire size (i thought they used 6mm). FYI I have 2019 Escapade frameset.
Old 08-18-19, 04:19 AM
sweetspot

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by loheiman
For those with steel frames, running 650b wheels/tires, what tires you are you running, what is their actual width and how much rear chainstay clearance do you have?

I'm a little dissapointed that the 650 x 48mm gravel kings, which measure out to 50mm (on my 22mm inner width rim), only leave ~2mm of clearance on each side. I know the max tire clearance is 47mm, but even at 47mm it would only leave 3-4mm of clearance on each side which is well below what I thought manufacturers use for determining max tire size (i thought they used 6mm). FYI I have 2019 Escapade frameset.
very interesting to hear that - I also plan in near future to test exactly the same setup on my Jamis Renegade Exploit bike. But I also tested a 700x50c Gravel Kings on my bike - it was a very tight fit but I managed to do that! To find out more and see the pictures please visit my website
https://gravelbikes.cc/tests/the-big...700x50c-tires/
Likes For sweetspot:
Old 08-18-19, 11:32 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10899 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by sweetspot
To find out more and see the pictures please visit my website
https://gravelbikes.cc/tests/the-big...700x50c-tires/
Or just post the pics and info here instead of directing people away from this website and to your personal site.
I have no idea why this practice is allowed on the forums since it drives away traffic, but to each their own.
Old 08-19-19, 02:19 PM
sweetspot

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Or just post the pics and info here instead of directing people away from this website and to your personal site.
I have no idea why this practice is allowed on the forums since it drives away traffic, but to each their own.
I understand your comment. I should write much more here and not force you guys to visit my website. But again, I put a lot of effort in creating the content on my website and I believe that it could be interesting to you so naturally I want to invite you to my website rather than putting an article like post here.

Below you will find the pictures of my bike with 700x50c tire. As you can see it was a really tight fit and worked only after I piled of a fender mount near the bottom bracket and only at 20 psi because when I infalted the tire to 30 psi it started to rub my carbon fork. I managed to take all the measurement I needed but at the price of a slightly wiped paint on my fork.

Likes For sweetspot:
Old 08-20-19, 08:32 AM
loheiman

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I wrote Jamis customer support regarding tire clearance and they confirmed that 3-4mm is expected at the max tire size, therefore going over that will leave less. :/
Old 09-04-19, 06:48 PM
valve_timing

Bikes: 2018 Breezer Doppler Pro , 1989 Centurion Ironman Master

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Could anyone tell me the rear spacing on 2018 expat also does anyone have a stock 650b wheelset they’d wanna swap for a 700c wheelset ?
Old 09-05-19, 11:45 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
Originally Posted by valve_timing
Could anyone tell me the rear spacing on 2018 expat also does anyone have a stock 650b wheelset they’d wanna swap for a 700c wheelset ?
This one? https://bikepacking.com/news/2018-jamis-renegade-expat/
Specs are in there.
Likes For shoota:
Old 09-05-19, 12:49 PM
valve_timing

Bikes: 2018 Breezer Doppler Pro , 1989 Centurion Ironman Master

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
thanks brotha
Likes For valve_timing:
Old 09-14-19, 10:09 AM
nwin23

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a 2018 Jamis Renegade Exploit.

Right now I primarily use it for commuting, but I plan on taking it to some gravel trails and bike paths and towing my son around in a bike trailer.

Questions:

Fenders: I want to get some fenders, but am at a loss for recommendations. I've seen mud butlers posted in this thread, but the rear fender looks like it doesn't go far enough around the back of the rear tire. My concern isn't for me, but for my son in the trailer. I've heard that if you don't have an adequate fender system, your kids will end up eating dust for most of the ride, so I'd like to avoid that if possible!

New wheels: I have the stock Clements set up tubeless and they're ok, but man do they feel sluggish on pavement. I'm not sure if it's the rim or the tire. I've got some Panaracer GravelKing 38 slicks coming in so I plan on mounting those, but have been toying with the idea of getting some new rims. Alloy is fine-keeping in mind primary use is for commuting and hitting potholes (I'm 170 pounds), and secondary use will be bike trails with the kiddo-any recommendations? I'd like to keep it under $500 for a new wheelset.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!
Old 09-14-19, 03:10 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by nwin23

Right now I primarily use it for commuting, but I plan on taking it to some gravel trails and bike paths and towing my son around in a bike trailer.

Questions:

Fenders: I want to get some fenders, but am at a loss for recommendations. I've seen mud butlers posted in this thread, but the rear fender looks like it doesn't go far enough around the back of the rear tire. My concern isn't for me, but for my son in the trailer. I've heard that if you don't have an adequate fender system, your kids will end up eating dust for most of the ride, so I'd like to avoid that if possible!

New wheels: I have the stock Clements set up tubeless and they're ok, but man do they feel sluggish on pavement. I'm not sure if it's the rim or the tire. I've got some Panaracer GravelKing 38 slicks coming in so I plan on mounting those, but have been toying with the idea of getting some new rims. Alloy is fine-keeping in mind primary use is for commuting and hitting potholes (I'm 170 pounds), and secondary use will be bike trails with the kiddo-any recommendations? I'd like to keep it under $500 for a new wheelset.

I don't know anything about fenders so i won't comment there. But as far as the tires go, yeah switch them out. Keep the current wheels, new wheels won't gain you anything for your type of riding.
Old 09-14-19, 06:18 PM
nwin23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know anything about fenders so i won't comment there. But as far as the tires go, yeah switch them out. Keep the current wheels, new wheels won't gain you anything for your type of riding.
Think I’ll notice a difference in the tires? Do the clements feel sluggish on roads to anyone else?

interesting about the wheels. I figured newer ones would at least be lighter and maybe easier to fit tubeless to-the i23’s were kind of a pain.
Old 09-14-19, 09:00 PM
loheiman

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Questions:

I bought SKS AL46 fenders and fitted them but have not tested them. They don't have a mud flaps but PDW Full Metal Fenders do.

Have never used them but Mason Hunt wheels seem to be a popular choice for budget wheelsets at about $380. For $500 you can get a custom wheelset from Colorado Cyclist with DT Swiss 350 hubs and R500/R470 rims which is what I'll likely be doing soon.
Old 09-15-19, 06:48 AM
shoota 

interesting about the wheels. I figured newer ones would at least be lighter and maybe easier to fit tubeless to-the i23’s were kind of a pain.
Of course new ones will be lighter. I mean for: "primary use is for commuting and hitting potholes (I'm 170 pounds), and secondary use will be bike trails with the kiddo", nothing about that usage screams new wheelset to me. It's your money of course.

They clements are a little sluggish yes, new tires will help depending on what you get.
Old 09-15-19, 02:01 PM
nwin23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by loheiman
I bought SKS AL46 fenders and fitted them but have not tested them. They don't have a mud flaps but PDW Full Metal Fenders do.

Have never used them but Mason Hunt wheels seem to be a popular choice for budget wheelsets at about $380. For $500 you can get a custom wheelset from Colorado Cyclist with DT Swiss 350 hubs and R500/R470 rims which is what I'll likely be doing soon.
Yeah, I checked those wheels out at Colorado Cyclist...even using the same build info their price is cheaper than prowheelbuilder, plus they have a 10% discount going on right now (code: SUMMER).

I mounted the Gravelkings today on my existing rims so I figure I should try these out first before I look at spending $500 on wheels.

For fenders, it seems my options are pretty limited since I'm running 38's. Since people use the mud butlers here and have good things to say about them, I think I might try those out and see how the kiddo does. Worst case scenario I can add a strip of leather like a mudflap to the rear fender.
Old 09-16-19, 07:35 AM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
You are going to have to drop back to a 32 - 35MM tire to fit fenders. Challenge Strada Biancas are a nice really fast alternative in a 33mm. We use them with renegades and fenders in our shop all of the time. Fenders on a Renegade are da'bomb! Will help out keeping kids happy if you get into some rain, puddles or wet streets.
Old 09-16-19, 08:29 PM
jeffreythree

Bikes: '90 Schwinn Traveler(retired), '61 Bottecchia, '86 RS Maxima, '17 Jamis Renegade Exile, '92 Trek 920

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
You are going to have to drop back to a 32 - 35MM tire to fit fenders. Challenge Strada Biancas are a nice really fast alternative in a 33mm. We use them with renegades and fenders in our shop all of the time. Fenders on a Renegade are da'bomb! Will help out keeping kids happy if you get into some rain, puddles or wet streets.
I love how those tires ride, but they were almost impossible to mount on the stock i23 rims (needed bead jack, levers, and zip ties). Maybe the 33mm is a bit easier to mount than my 36's?
Old 09-21-19, 05:41 PM
nwin23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Gravelking slick's in 38's are sooooo much better than those stock MSO's-holy crap. Not sure I have a reason to upgrade the wheels at this point honestly. For fenders, since I just bought these tires, I might just grab the mud butlers since they will accommodate the 38's.

New problem for commuting: I'm trying to find a bag that I can put my lunch in. I don't really want to go with racks + a pannier, and I had a handlebar bag but didn't like how it threw off the steering, so I think I'm limiting my options to a frame bag or a bigger saddlebag. The frame bag could work great, but in the event I have some soup or something in tupperware (or a salad in a bigger tupperware), I don't see there's anyway that would be able to transport the tupperware laying flat.
Old 09-21-19, 05:42 PM
nwin23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffreythree
I love how those tires ride, but they were almost impossible to mount on the stock i23 rims (needed bead jack, levers, and zip ties). Maybe the 33mm is a bit easier to mount than my 36's?
The gravelkings in 38's were a pain to mount on the stock rims as well. I didn't need a bead jack, but I was close.
Old 09-27-19, 11:05 PM
bigredgrad01

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
The Gravelking slick's in 38's are sooooo much better than those stock MSO's-holy crap. Not sure I have a reason to upgrade the wheels at this point honestly. For fenders, since I just bought these tires, I might just grab the mud butlers since they will accommodate the 38's.
Mud Butlers are a tight fit with stock MSO 700x36 on the steel Renegade. I had to remove the rubber from the part of rear seat-stay mount bracket that goes under the fender.

Are people having luck with 700x38 Gravelking SK's with Mud Butlers? Seems like it would be a problem unless they measure same as 700x36 MSOs.
Old 09-30-19, 12:28 AM
HLW

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Are people having luck with 700x38 Gravelking SK's with Mud Butlers? Seems like it would be a problem unless they measure same as 700x36 MSOs.

You'll be able to clear the 38mm SK in the front, but probably not the rear. I cleared a set of Rene Herse (Compass) Bon Jon's on my Expat on a set of American Classic Race wheels that measured 38mm inflated with Mud Butlers, but it's a slick tire. The tightest point will be at the rear seatstay bridge. I was able to gain a bit more clearance by putting the fender mounting bracket on the underside of the seatstay bridge and gently bending out the sides of the fenders with a crescent wrench. In the front, tire clearance is better and you should be able to clear the SK 38 no problem. I've got a 38mm G-One that measure's 40mm on the front right now. On the front wheel the tight spot is going to be at the mounting point where the strut attaches to the fender and may require some manipulation as well. Here's a pic of the rear bracket and the sort of clearance I have with the G-One 35 in the rear. You're going to need to get some real world measurements of the Gravel King's before you make any decisions. You could always order one 38 for the front, test it out in the rear and if it doesn't fit run a 35 instead.

Old 11-04-19, 11:48 AM
pbike908

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi folks...I am in the process of building a Jamis Escapade. I have never built a bike before, however, I am making steady progress. Could someone kindly provide a pic for me of the cable wrap around for the front derailleur on the seat tube? There are two holes on plastic cover that covers the pulley. I am guessing that the cable enters and exits one hole vs down one hole and out the next.

For those interested I am building the bike with a GRX 810 double cranke, Grx 810 rear and front derailleurs, and Ultegra 8000 shifters. I am doing Spyre brakes instead of Hydraulics.

Thanks!
Old 11-04-19, 11:53 AM
nwin23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigredgrad01
Mud Butlers are a tight fit with stock MSO 700x36 on the steel Renegade. I had to remove the rubber from the part of rear seat-stay mount bracket that goes under the fender.

im talking about using the GK slicks, not the SK, so 38’s shouldn’t be a problem.

edit: 38 GK Slicks don’t work-they measure 41.5 on the stock wheel set. Looks like it’s time for new tires!

edit2: as mentioned above, the 700x38 gravelking slick will fit in the front using a mud butler fender, but not the back. I bought a 700x35 and used that for the back. However for the bolt at the chain stay mount (near the BB), I used one of the bolts that was on the chain stay instead of the supplied bolt from mud butler-the mud butler one sits too high and I only had about 2mm clearance from the tire. Using one that was originally where the strut attaches to on the chain stay gave much more clearance.

Last edited by nwin23; 12-09-19 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Bad info
Old 12-09-19, 08:51 AM
mbuse

Bikes: YT Capra, 1984 Fuji Del Rey, Jamis Renegade Expat LTD

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Picked up a new Expat LTD over the weekend! The ride is much improved over my 1984 Fuji Del Rey. I was surprised at how wide the handlebars are and how comfortable the riding position is.

I'm 6'2.5" and went with 58 cm. Fit perfect right out of the box, but the bike shop set up the saddle position based on measurements they took, so that helped.

The LTD color is gorgeous IMO. I'd post a picture but this is my first post. The Jamis website image does not do it justice.
Likes For mbuse:
Old 12-09-19, 02:03 PM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
Awesome, Congrats mbuse. Post a pic when you can.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.