Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1986 Schwinn High Sierra (bronze/brown two tone)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1986 Schwinn High Sierra (bronze/brown two tone)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-19, 05:04 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Dang that's pretty! And +1 on the brake setup; I just picked up a High Sierra at (get this) St. Vinny's (one of two!), and I just used a piece of old innertube rubber as a "clamp" to set/center them. I love how they work, even with the stock pads. They must rock with those Kool Stop duals.

Any special tricks you used to clean up the rollers? I've got mine de-crudded, but they don't shine like that ^^^^^ . I wonder if even a little baking soda and water on a shop towel might do it without being too rough.
My special trick re: cleaning the roller cams was being the first one to open the bag These were new-old stock. I lubricated the bushings but didn't need to do any cleaning. I wouldn't hesitate to use some scotchbrite on the aluminum if it is oxidized, followed by some polishing compound such as Mothers.

You picked up a High Sierra at St. Vinny's? The one on Willy St? They usually only have crap there. I live right by there. Nice job!
Old 05-01-19, 09:12 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
My special trick re: cleaning the roller cams was being the first one to open the bag These were new-old stock.
Oh, that's cheating!! The aluminum's pretty good on mine, it's just those rollers that are tarnished.

You picked up a High Sierra at St. Vinny's? The one on Willy St? They usually only have crap there. I live right by there. Nice job!
There were two, actually, smoke-chrome '87s. identical except for size. Minor use wear; his &hers garage queens donated together. By the time we saw them, another couple had selected the smaller one and the wife was really smitten, so alas, they didn't get "adopted" together.

You'd be surprised what you find there, provided you get in line BEFORE 9:00. Some of the regulars there are real sleazy "vultures"; one guy hounded me to let him buy a bike I'd picked out, by offering to pay me. Sorry, but I'm not that petty. Wife and I actually assisted the couple that got the other High Sierra, told 'em about the value and the cool brakes, helped them set it up, made sure the stem and seatpost weren't stuck, etc. We were happy for them.
Old 04-27-20, 09:10 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
Old thread, but good read. I picked up an 18" 1986 High Sierra a week and a half ago for $35. Trust me, it probably wasn't worth much more than that. Surface rust on stays, worn tires, etc... a perfect candidate for powder coat and a conversion. So far, I've stripped it down and now the powder coat shop has it. It's going to be repainted with a color similar to beige Jeeps and black components as part of a drop bar conversion. Here's a pic of the bike as purchased.
Likes For friday1970:
Old 04-27-20, 09:23 AM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by friday1970
Old thread, but good read. I picked up an 18" 1986 High Sierra a week and a half ago for $35. Trust me, it probably wasn't worth much more than that. Surface rust on stays, worn tires, etc... a perfect candidate for powder coat and a conversion. So far, I've stripped it down and now the powder coat shop has it. It's going to be repainted with a color similar to beige Jeeps and black components as part of a drop bar conversion. Here's a pic of the bike as purchased.
Old 04-27-20, 10:38 AM
madpogue 

^^^^^^^ That saddle....
Old 09-11-21, 06:20 PM
mitchito

Bikes: 1948 Humber, 1956 Raleigh, 1957 Rigby Bros, 1950s Hercules Renown,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
I just picked up a High Sierra the other day. Was thrown in a shed when almost new and now owner is tearing down the shed and I got the bike. The original tires have partially disintigrated but have no tread wear. Chain was rusted so I replaced it, same with cables. Lots of surface rust on fasteners, but that is what Evaporust is for. Unfortunately the frame is all scratched up from being thrown from place to place in the shed. It was free so I guess I did alright.
Old 01-27-23, 04:10 PM
tmnguuyen 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 171 Posts
Yellow Mellow High Sierra - opinions please

Sorry to highjack this tread but I thought I may get quicker commentary by piggyback on an existing one....

Just picked this one up today. I've been intrigued by the the roller cam brakes and the funny fork. Paid $150 for it. All the ones i looked at are listed for over $250 and may be in worse shape than this one. This one is pretty original with the exception of the seat and seat post. Now, i have to go look for a seat post with quick release, I think the original seat had quick release. The black anodized rims are not too common on the High Sierras of this vintage. Chain ring matching the rims color is a nice touch. Not sure if this one is 1987 or 1988. I'll need to go look at the sn. My shoulder injury is preventing me on handling the bike a the moment. The Shimano group set was found on the 1988 Cimarron. I wonder if this one is a transition model between HS and Cimarron. What say you?

Thanks

Last edited by tmnguuyen; 01-27-23 at 04:19 PM.
Likes For tmnguuyen:
Old 01-28-23, 12:15 AM
C9H13N 

Bikes: Davidson ’81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 121 Posts
Yours looks a lot like mine, except I think mine had a silver outer Biopace chainring on the original crankset, FC-B124. I replaced that with a Deore MT60 crank to match the rest of the drivetrain (and because I hate Biopace). Neither of my rims are original so I have no idea what they looked like.

The bullmoose bar is also obviously not original, mine had the same gold/bronze looking stem that used to be black. My front hub is the same color.

These are the only good pictures I have handy. Mine has done great service as a utility bike, grocery getter, and baby hauler.

Last edited by C9H13N; 01-28-23 at 12:18 AM.
Likes For C9H13N:
Old 01-28-23, 12:48 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by tmnguuyen
Sorry to highjack this tread but I thought I may get quicker commentary by piggyback on an existing one....

Just picked this one up today. I've been intrigued by the the roller cam brakes and the funny fork. Paid $150 for it. All the ones i looked at are listed for over $250 and may be in worse shape than this one. This one is pretty original with the exception of the seat and seat post. Now, i have to go look for a seat post with quick release, I think the original seat had quick release. The black anodized rims are not too common on the High Sierras of this vintage. Chain ring matching the rims color is a nice touch. Not sure if this one is 1987 or 1988. I'll need to go look at the sn. My shoulder injury is preventing me on handling the bike a the moment. The Shimano group set was found on the 1988 Cimarron. I wonder if this one is a transition model between HS and Cimarron. What say you?

Thanks

Nothing funny about the fork, lugged unibrow instead of plain generic ones that almost all were later.

Stronger, yes a bit heavier but way cooler for not being cool.
Likes For merziac:
Old 01-28-23, 03:19 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Pardon me for hijacking the hijack, but what are those gorgeous panniers?
Originally Posted by C9H13N
Yours looks a lot like mine, except I think mine had a silver outer Biopace chainring on the original crankset, FC-B124. I replaced that with a Deore MT60 crank to match the rest of the drivetrain (and because I hate Biopace). Neither of my rims are original so I have no idea what they looked like.

The bullmoose bar is also obviously not original, mine had the same gold/bronze looking stem that used to be black. My front hub is the same color.

These are the only good pictures I have handy. Mine has done great service as a utility bike, grocery getter, and baby hauler.

Old 01-28-23, 03:40 PM
C9H13N 

Originally Posted by Korina
Pardon me for hijacking the hijack, but what are those gorgeous panniers?

They are a special run of Ortlieb Back Rollers from several years ago. I think I got them on close out at Sierra Trading Post.
Likes For C9H13N:
Old 02-01-23, 07:37 PM
tmnguuyen 

Schwinn Cimarron

After the purchase of that yellow High Sierra, i was wondering what's the difference between the Cimarron and the High Sierra. I found a Cimarron in my size on CL not too far from me. Someone please talk me out of it. I ran out of room but i have a habit of buying stuff in pairs. This Cimarron does not get me as exited as the High Sierra. The HS has that roller cam brakes, the unicrown ford and the high flange hub which i like. The Cimarron looks is not as exiting... Not sure if it has significant better performance than the HS.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...583330592.html

Thanks
Old 02-01-23, 07:45 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

After the purchase of that yellow High Sierra, i was wondering what's the difference between the Cimarron and the High Sierra. I found a Cimarron in my size on CL not too far from me. Someone please talk me out of it. I ran out of room but i have a habit of buying stuff in pairs. This Cimarron does not get me as exited as the High Sierra. The HS has that roller cam brakes, the unicrown ford and the high flange hub which i like. The Cimarron looks is not as exiting... Not sure if it has significant better performance than the HS.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...583330592.html

Thanks
DANGER WILL ROBINSON, $300!!!

These are fine but not at that $$$, run away IMO.
Likes For merziac:
Old 02-02-23, 04:58 AM
OTS 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 139 Posts
@tmnguuyen
You definitely don't want to visit this thread.

Let's see your vintage Schwinn Cimarron
Likes For OTS:
Old 02-02-23, 10:42 AM
madpogue 

Component changes mid-model-year aren't unusual, so it's still a HS. That red CL Cimarron appears to have a headbadge date-code number of 1297, which translates to a build date of early May 1987 (last digit is the year, first three are the "ordinal" (1-365) day of the year). Look on your HS for a similar number, that will tell you the build date. If the build date is fairly late in the year (Sept or later, roughly), it's probably the next model year.
Originally Posted by merziac

Cimmaron tax, similar to the Stumpy tax on Specializeds. Honestly, if I had a Cim to sell during high demand, say mid-spring, clean and ride-ready, I would price it at $300, and accept $240-250.

Last edited by madpogue; 02-02-23 at 10:47 AM.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 02-02-23, 12:01 PM
tmnguuyen 

Originally Posted by merziac

You're helping..... but what's, in your book, the' can't walk away from' price for this example? or In Merziac vernacular 'run don't walk' pricing.

Last edited by tmnguuyen; 02-02-23 at 01:20 PM.
Likes For tmnguuyen:
Old 02-02-23, 03:20 PM
merziac

You're helping..... but what's, in your book, the' can't walk away from' price for this example? or In Merziac vernacular 'run don't walk' pricing.
Uh, maybe $150, what do I know, maybe $100 run don't walk?

If they are selling for that $$$ then buy the Cim, swap parts around, HF hubs and whatever else then sell the other one back off, maybe?

Again, what do I know, sounds like @madpogue might have a better grasp than I.

Last edited by merziac; 02-02-23 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-02-23, 08:11 PM
C9H13N 

There’s a red Cimarron on Seattle CL listed for $340. Probably a little optimistic.

Also a stripped 23” yellow High Sierra frame like mine for $300 on eBay.