Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Old 05-08-20, 04:18 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
quiet day on the Minuteman & saw a new sign

I guess he was 6' from anyone else, so ... no mask for you!

crossing route 128 I noticed quite a bit more highway traffic than the last few times I've ridden over it since mid-March

Last edited by rumrunn6; 05-09-20 at 08:45 AM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 05-08-20, 05:33 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
FYA, I found this post from 2013:
Originally Posted by rholland1951
Only had an hour to ride today. Tried something new, extending a recent ride out the Mystic Valley Parkway to South Border Road in Winchester with a return on Governor's Avenue, High Street, and River Street in Medford. …some new insights into Medford, a city I've lived next to for decades, but never much explored. :

This ride feels like a keeper, with a lot of variety packed into an hour, a less homogeneous alternative to my standard 10-mile Minuteman thing. It may also be the beginning of more rides that go East, rather than West.
To further tweak rholland1951 's desire for exploration beyond the confines of the known MetroWest of this Thread, I once posted:
Hello, Metrowestopolitans.

This weekend, I rode my bike to the mysterious and fabled MetroEast to a city that the natives call “Hull,” meaning “the frame of a large boat” (bigger than a canoe). The wonders that I saw, unbeholden by so many Metrowesterners!

Ocean views:

Beach Houses:

Hon ky-tonk:

I’m planning to go back and establish a trade route from West to East. We’ll send BMW’s, brie, and chardonnay in exchange for dune buggies, hot dogs, and cotton candy.

There are fortunes to be made I tell you.
Originally Posted by jimmuller
Ooh, are you looking for investors? I've heard there might be a market for tea.

I've been to Hull, played music there but never ridden a bike either there or to there. I'd be afraid I'd end up in the water ...

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-08-20 at 05:49 PM.
Likes For Jim from Boston:
Old 05-09-20, 08:47 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

now I want cotton candy, fudge & to make spin art & maybe have a caricature artist draw me fishing
Old 05-09-20, 06:03 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 903 Times in 486 Posts
This was a particularly good week of cycling, Monday and Tuesday mornings I rode 28 miles each,Wednesday wasn’t very long, only 13 miles. I was overdressed and my attempt to use my winter balaclava with its face shield was way too hot. Thursday I rode another 28 and Friday was the pick of the week at 40 miles. The 3 28 mile rides weren’t all the same exact route, just variations of my tried and trued Weston, Lincoln, Sudbury favorites roads. Fridays route added Concord to the mix by way of Concord Center and a jaunt up Monument quickly turning on Liberty and back down Lowell st. Saturday, today I rode 21 miles. It wasn’t particularly nice riding with a gale force cross wind. I wished I could have harnessed that wind the way a sail boat can sail on a beam reach. Today’s ride was an opportunity to get in just enough miles to hit my goal for the week. Tomorrow I may get both kids on a nearby rail trail if the weather isn’t too uncooperative giving Mom her quiet time.

On a separate note, I canceled my 3 day weekend tour to Portsmouth and back that I had scheduled in early June. Hopefully I can try again Labor Day weekend.

Last edited by Ghazmh; 05-09-20 at 06:11 PM.
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 05-11-20, 08:57 AM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6

That's kind of ridiculous, and this is coming from a person who was wearing a mask to the store back at the end of March. But I guess it's also the reason why I've been staying away from the Minuteman as the weather got nicer. BTW, the path around Walden Pond now has Do Not Enter and One Way trail signs!

The ironic consequence of staying at home more has been... getting outside more and finding a number of good forest trails. For multiple reasons I've been staying closer to home and trying to find less-crowded outdoor spaces to peruse, mostly for walking. However, my mind has been working hard at trying to answer the question of "why couldn't I ride these on my bike?" With childcare and garden chores my mind hasn't been on road riding much, but I have gotten out a few times on some quality forest/conservation paths. The "Across" routes in Lexington, Great Brook Farm, Wright Woods west of Walden Pond, parts of Bay Circuit trail, and now some awesome paths in Lincoln near Sandy Pond, reachable without driving for me! Really excited, but still waiting for my order of Vittoria Terreno 2.1in MTB tires for a cushier ride (hope they'll fit!).

So far my encounters with people have seen 100% adherence to the mask etiquette.
Likes For autonomy:
Old 05-11-20, 09:38 AM
rumrunn6

over the length I rode I only saw two of those signs & didn’t see any enforcement. there’s a mix of users with & without a face cover. seems easy enough to comply

glad you’re finding other places to ride. I have too. looking forward to getting back on my MTB in the forests

Last edited by rumrunn6; 05-11-20 at 02:19 PM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 05-12-20, 05:24 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 872 Posts
That 1982 Specialized Sequoia that I bought as a sort of PTSD impulse purchase after my bike crash last fall caught my eye this week. I put a saddlebag and a mid-fork light mount on it, and took it up Mass. Ave. to Lexington Center to see what it had to say to me. It said, "Replace the seatpost and the stem before riding me again, they're too short to safely extend to the height you need. Keep an eye on those 28-spoke wheels, they may hate you. Also, enjoy the brifters, welcome to the 1990s!" This all seemed like good advice, and I did enjoy the ride. The frame has classic sport-touring geometry, and manages to be both stable and nimble at the same time. Tange tubes, lugged, designed in the US and built by Japanese frame builders, built up on weight-weenie principles, therefore contrary to the build choices I customarily make. It's already fun.

Managed to leave the house without a mask for the first time in a couple of weeks through sheer inattention. No harm done, I hope, but it was one more reason to avoid the Minuteman. The Mass. Ave. traffic has picked up considerably, and I found myself singing "Dire Wolf" at a volume sufficient to confuse bystanders.

rod
Likes For rholland1951:
Old 05-14-20, 04:09 PM
rholland1951

Beautiful afternoon, and though I didn't have the sort of ambition that suggested a long ride with lots of fierce hills, I took the Nordavinden up Mass. Ave. to Lexington Center for my default ride on a nice day.

There seemed to be an unusual number of bikes out on Mass. Ave (not a bad thing, there's plenty of room, and most of the riders were masked), and once again there seemed to be more car and truck traffic than we had enjoyed during the quietest part of the Great Pause. Meanwhile, I was noticing what looked like diminished traffic at the Minuteman crossings. So... I hopped on the Minuteman in Lexington Center, to see for myself...

... and immediately found myself in 9x traffic compared to the road, with the added treat that about two thirds of it seemed to be either Barefaced or Just Warming My Chin, happy Breathers everywhere you looked. I bailed at the Seasons Four driveway, and chalked it up to sampling bias, from start to finish. That'll teach me.

Nice ride for all that.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 05-14-20 at 04:13 PM.
Likes For rholland1951:
Old 05-14-20, 04:51 PM
rumrunn6

Mass Pike during rush hour, yesterday, while crossing over Old Connecticut Path, Framingham. normally the Westbound (away from Boston) lane, on the right side, would be PACKED

thank you, but more room than I needed. Route 27 Sudbury

lovely sign on Route 20. too bad it was just after the bottom of a fast, dark, curved section. would have been nice, a mile earlier
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 05-14-20, 04:57 PM
rumrunn6

chalked it up to sampling bias
if I understand what you were saying, no, I think too many ppl have had enough. too many are ditching the safety measures. this is peak party season & once the wretched masses feel unleashed, the smart ones will have to duck & cover again
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 05-14-20, 05:04 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Finally warm today! Got out for a couple of miles close to home.
Likes For NomarsGirl:
Old 05-14-20, 05:47 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

I always enjoy Rods pictures and descriptions. So far I’ve ridden every day this week including twice today. 29 miles in the lower 40’s on my Honey Allroads first thing this morning followed by the warmest most delightful 35 miles on my Redsky late this afternoon.
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 05-14-20, 09:18 PM
rholland1951

if I understand what you were saying, no, I think too many ppl have had enough. too many are ditching the safety measures. this is peak party season & once the wretched masses feel unleashed, the smart ones will have to duck & cover again
The sampling bias was on my part, drawing the wrong conclusion from a couple of quick views of Minuteman intersections glimpsed as I rode past. I agree with you about the human behavior on display. Surely the Pest can't be out on such a fine day...

rod

PS: I have nothing against breathing, per se. It can be quite nice
Likes For rholland1951:
Old 05-15-20, 01:45 AM
sherbornpeddler

Bikes: 3 speeds, mountain, road and recumbent

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Nothing against breathing

Breathing. As Rod said,”it can be quite nice.” I read Professor Erin Bromage’s blog cited distances for different kinds of breathers and sneezers and kept it in mind as I rode a favored 36 mile cloverleaf loop de loop through nearly empty backroads in Sherborn, Dover, Westwood and Medfield. I found walkers and cyclists well spaced except obvious family members and half the cyclists were, using Rod’s term, chin warmers and the others were solo cycling barefaced. I pulled my mask up well before I passed anyone In either direction and the two times I stopped. I saw chatting neighbors conservatively distanced by driveways and a lonely walker wearing his mask on an empty road.
Likes For sherbornpeddler:
Old 05-15-20, 04:42 AM
Ghazmh

I commented to Mrs Ghazmh after my ride yesterday afternoon that half the cyclists I saw had a mask/bandana around their neck (not face) while the other half had nothing. It wasn’t a literal tally but it seemed that way. In all fairness I did see a few with their faces covered. In the early mornings when I do most of my rides I sometimes see a dozen or more riders while I sometimes see none at all. Often bare faced.

Ive ingested far less bugs, airborne landscaping dust and god only knows what else that gets Hoovered in when churning uphill. What’s not to like?
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 05-15-20, 06:01 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by sherbornpeddler
a lonely walker wearing his mask on an empty road.
yeah, these are as curious to me as the ppl on crowded trails not wearing one. I saw one while crossing that route 128 overpass. I guess it's easier to just keep it on, rather than off & on, etc. I like to keep mine on but at full throttle I can't get enough flow
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 05-15-20, 06:03 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Ghazmh
bandana
saw one on the ground the other day. I can only imagine someone got fed up with it & just tossed it, probably verbalizing in descriptive language his/her frustration
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 05-15-20, 06:08 AM
rumrunn6

breathing can be quite nice...
got passed by a soft top wearing jeep the other day carrying the typical load of 20 somethings with music blasting. as it passed me it sped up, I didn't get buzzed so that was nice, but the fella in the back seat naging out of the rear opening shouted something at me, but I couldn't understand what he was saying because of his mask. he was almost bent over backwards so I was able to see it. a bit bizarre. I should have waved
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 05-15-20, 07:19 AM
Jim from Boston

I guess he was 6' from anyone else, so ... no mask for you!
There seemed to be an unusual number of bikes out on Mass. Ave (not a bad thing, there's plenty of room, and most of the riders were masked), and once again there seemed to be more car and truck traffic than we had enjoyed during the quietest part of the Great Pause.

Meanwhile, I was noticing what looked like diminished traffic at the Minuteman crossings. So... I hopped on the Minuteman in Lexington Center, to see for myself...and immediately found myself in 9x traffic compared to the road, with the added treat that about two thirds of it seemed to be either Barefaced or Just Warming My Chin, happy Breathers everywhere you looked.
Originally Posted by sherbornpeddler
Breathing. As Rod said,”it can be quite nice.” I read Professor Erin Bromage’s blog cited distances for different kinds of breathers and sneezers and kept it in mind as I rode a favored 36 mile cloverleaf loop de loop through nearly empty backroads in Sherborn, Dover, Westwood and Medfield.

I found walkers and cyclists well spaced except obvious family members and half the cyclists were, using Rod’s term, chin warmers and the others were solo cycling barefaced. I pulled my mask up well before I passed anyone In either direction and the two times I stopped. I saw chatting neighbors conservatively distanced by driveways and a lonely walker wearing his mask on an empty road.[
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
I commented to Mrs Ghazmh after my ride yesterday afternoon that half the cyclists I saw had a mask/bandana around their neck (not face) while the other half had nothing. It wasn’t a literal tally but it seemed that way.

In all fairness I did see a few with their faces covered. In the early mornings when I do most of my rides I sometimes see a dozen or more riders while I sometimes see none at all. Often bare faced.

I've ingested far less bugs, airborne landscaping dust and god only knows what else that gets Hoovered in when churning uphill. What’s not to like?
My riding (commuting) has been through Boston, Brookline, West Roxbury, Dedham and Norwood, mostly on lightly trafficked roads with rare cyclists on the opposite side, and a small fraction of my routes on the lightly cycled Jamaica Pond / Muddy River MUPS.

I wear a mask, but when riding I lower it below my nose.

With the mask over my nose at rest, I have some fogging of my prescription eyeglasses, though the moisture is ventilated while riding, but breathing is improved through unencumbered nostrils. During the recent “cold” snap, the mask indeed was a chin and cheek warmer.

There have been recent reports of vigorous law enforcement of wearing masks, e.g. a young mother arrested in the Brooklyn subway for lowering her mask to answer her phone (not necessary IMO). If this starts to occur in Boston, I hope my slightly lowered mask we’ll give me enough “cover” to avoid being stopped.

I do wear the mask when riding because if I want to enter an enclosed space.e.g. a store or Commmuter Rall car, it's cumbersome to remove my helmet with the chin strap over my ears, to secure the ear elastics of the mask, but so easy to just raise it above my nose since it is in place already.

˅˅˅˅

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-15-20 at 02:46 PM. Reason: added picture of mask position
Old 05-15-20, 08:12 AM
Jim from Boston

˄˄˄˄

Note to @rholland1951, @jimmuller, and whomever:

Another“social” advantage of the mask to hide my ever-increasing scruffy beard. I have looked into beard trimmers, but once had a bad outcome when I tried to use scissors.

I’m waiting to hear the Governor’s plan for phased re-opening and decide if I can wait for my excellent barbershop to resume business.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-15-20 at 08:15 AM.
Old 05-15-20, 09:36 AM
rumrunn6

looking good! how is the air flow with those? I have a bunch but haven't tried one on yet

wave if you see this ghoul

when the coast is clear it's down around my neck

when my spidey sense detects shedders in my future I pull it back up. but it's tricky with gloves & the sheild. and at full throttle like going fast or climbing monster hills it does not provide enough flow & I'm straining to get enough air

Last edited by rumrunn6; 05-15-20 at 03:07 PM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 05-15-20, 10:03 AM
Jim from Boston

looking good! how is the air flow with those? I have a bunch but haven't tried one on yet

wave if you see this spook

when the coast is clear it's down around my neck. when my spidey sense detects shedders in my future I pull it back up. but it's tricky with gloves & the sheild. and at full throttle like going fast or climbing monster hills it does not provide enough flow & I'm straining to get enough air
Thanks for your reply @rumrunn6, Those so-common paper masks are quite flexible and easily manipulated. As I mentioned, air-flow is good when lowered below the nose,

I think your pictured mask does look cumbersome, more like a winter face mask.

In one little vignette of the current circumstances, I passed by a liquor store, even before the Governor's latest order to wear masks in public, that forbade entry by anyone without a mask, but they did have masks for sale for $2.00.
Old 05-15-20, 10:41 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
I did an informal count on the Minuteman. Mask compliance in Arlington is ~90%. (Mid 90’s for people walking, mid 80’s for people riding bikes, running, skating, and skate boarding.)

Also seeing lots of masks hanging from people’s car rear view mirrors. Fuzzy dice for the 20’s.

Actually used my lock, stopped at Starbucks for an espresso. Left a big tip. (Note, you can’t wear a mask and drink an espresso.)

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 05-15-20, 12:06 PM
rholland1951

Originally Posted by mr_bill
I did an informal count on the Minuteman. Mask compliance in Arlington is ~90%. (Mid 90’s for people walking, mid 80’s for people riding bikes, running, skating, and skate boarding.)

Also seeing lots of masks hanging from people’s car rear view mirrors. Fuzzy dice for the 20’s.

Actually used my lock, stopped at Starbucks for an espresso. Left a big tip. (Note, you can’t wear a mask and drink an espresso.)

-mr. bill
That corresponded with what I saw on Mass. Ave. the other day, but not the scene on the Minuteman in Lexington, where full compliance (mouth+nose) was only around 30-40%. Lexington's different, perhaps.

rod
Likes For rholland1951:
Old 05-15-20, 03:09 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by mr_bill
Wifey is letting you ride? how's her arm?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.