Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Post Your Titaniums

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Post Your Titaniums

Old 12-03-20, 07:19 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by cat0020
Need white bar tape & saddle to match all the white decals.
Yeah, I used to have a bit more white in both places. Eg. serfas stitched tape. Going full white I have really no desire to do -- cleaning reasons mostly, but also (just my opinion) a bit too try-hard.

Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 12-03-20, 08:16 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 448 Posts
I use old-school Off-The-Front white bar tape since 2004, the material is like shower curtain, wipes off dirt & grease easily and very durable; lasts about 3-4 years, 2k mi. annually. I usually replace the tapes the same time I replace brake pads.

Originally Posted by Steamer
yes, but on purpose.
To avoid heel strike when you turn the handlebar?

Does it effect the handling?

Seems like the front fender/tire would hit your thigh when you turn the handlebar?

Ever consider changing to a smaller front wheel, 24" or 20"?
You have front disc brake anyway, smaller front wheel would allow the fork to be mounted correctly, disc caliper to be on the correct side of the bike and less chance of heel or thigh strike when you turn your handlebar.
Then again, that head angle is tough to compensate. Is it intentional to have near vertical head angle?

Last edited by cat0020; 12-03-20 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-03-20, 12:17 PM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 82 Posts
Responses below in bold italics.

A full explanation of the reverse rake is here: https://rothrockcyrcle.wordpress.com...cumbent-bikes/

To avoid heel strike when you turn the handlebar? No, not the intent. Almost all short wheelbase bents have heel strike. (with the front of the wheel or front of the fender, when present)

Does it effect the handling? It's part of the design for the handling, yes.

Seems like the front fender/tire would hit your thigh when you turn the handlebar? No, it doesn't get anywhere close to the back of my leg. Handlebar ends can hit your thighs in very sharp turns though.

Ever consider changing to a smaller front wheel, 24" or 20"? I have bents with smaller front wheels. This was specifically designed for dual 700C. There are some downsides to small front wheels.
You have front disc brake anyway, smaller front wheel would allow the fork to be mounted correctly, disc caliper to be on the correct side of the bike and less chance of heel or thigh strike when you turn your handlebar.
Then again, that head angle is tough to compensate. Is it intentional to have near vertical head angle? Yes, the steep steering angle is essentially why the fork has negative rake.
Likes For Steamer:
Old 12-03-20, 12:51 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Interesting, I never though flop would cause much concern on a short wheelbase recumbent.
I normally ride a Vision R40 or SatRDay as short wheelbase recumbents,
I guess I have experienced the "flop" in tight turns, but never thought about it as a significant issue.

I have been meaning to complete my titanium recumbent build for the last couple of years, but it's difficult to find a replacement fork for 1" steertube with disc brake mount.
I would like to go to a smaller front wheel than 700c, wouldn't mind a smaller rear wheel, too.

Likes For cat0020:
Old 12-03-20, 02:29 PM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 95 Posts
My first Ti frameset/build. It's just about done and hoping to get it on the road first thing Sunday morning.

Likes For primov8:
Old 12-03-20, 02:59 PM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 82 Posts
Interesting, I never though flop would cause much concern on a short wheelbase recumbent.
I guess I have experienced the "flop" in tight turns, but never thought about it as a significant issue.

I have been meaning to complete my titanium recumbent build for the last couple of years, but it's difficult to find a replacement fork for 1" steertube with disc brake mount.
I would like to go to a smaller front wheel than 700c, wouldn't mind a smaller rear wheel, too.
Flop isn't an issue when turning. In fact, flop actually makes the process of turning slightly easier as the bike is "wanting" to turn. Excessive flop is a problem because it promotes steering overshoot when trying to balance and go straight at low speeds.

Recumbents that use more conventional steering geometry can and do work OK. They just aren't ideal.

I love George Reynolds bikes. I have two of them - Wishbone Classic 26/20 and Wishbone RT 26/26. If you ever want to sell that T-bone of yours, let me know. George used steeper steering angles than just about anyone else. He was onto something. My two Wishbones both have steering angles at around 79 degrees. The Wishbone Classic has a negative rake fork and the RT has a zero rake fork. I know the Z-bone used a zero rake fork too. Not sure about the T-bone, though. The Zevo just takes the design approach George used on the Wishbones and Z-bone and extends it a bit further. George's Wishbones were a partial inspiration for the Zevo.
Old 12-08-20, 11:09 AM
Razorrock

Bikes: Litespeed

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 21 Posts
Likes For Razorrock:
Old 12-08-20, 08:05 PM
primov8

My first Ti build, a Lynskey Helix disc road is just about done, sans the bar tape which finally arrives tomorrow. I took it out this morning for what was supposed to be a quick, 10-15 mile loop ended up being close to a 50 mile ride. I didn't care about the temps hovering in the low 30s and I just kept going, enjoying my morning ride. I was expecting an ultra smooth, predictable, calm ride because of its Ti construction and it didn't disappoint. Even when out of the saddle, it reacts so smoothly and almost a bit too well behaved for me. It is comfortable, nimble and most of all, the handling is on point which is a huge plus for me. That is the one ride characteristic that usually helps me decide whether or not I keep a bike.

Last edited by primov8; 12-15-20 at 12:59 PM.
Likes For primov8:
Old 12-09-20, 11:44 AM
xseal

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by primov8
My first Ti build, a Lynskey Helix disc road is just about done, sans the bar tape which finally arrives tomorrow. I took it out this morning for what was supposed to be a quick, 10-15 mile loop ended up being close to a 50 mile ride. I didn't care about the temps hovering in the low 30s and I just kept going, enjoying my morning ride. I was expecting an ultra smooth, predictable, calm ride because of its Ti construction and it didn't disappoint. Even when out of the saddle, it reacts so smoothly and almost a bit too well behaved for me. It is comfortable, nimble and most of all, the handling is on point which is a huge plus for me. That is the one ride characteristic that usually helps me decide whether or not I keep a bike.
Beautiful bike. Those are some manly drops in the world of compact bars, you must be a gymnast in your spare time.
Old 12-09-20, 11:54 AM
primov8

Originally Posted by xseal
Beautiful bike. Those are some manly drops in the world of compact bars, you must be a gymnast in your spare time.
Thanks. I'm definitely no gymnast, lol. I think the angle of how the pic was taken makes the drop much deeper than it is. Plus, I favor and use handlebars with traditional drops/bends such as this 3T Superleggera.
Old 12-09-20, 02:09 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked 2,908 Times in 1,472 Posts
made in U.S., Teledyne & Litespeed.

Old 12-10-20, 09:39 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by primov8

Beautiful build! Have you gone tubeless on it yet? The ride is even better.
Old 12-10-20, 11:12 AM
primov8

Originally Posted by jadocs
Beautiful build! Have you gone tubeless on it yet? The ride is even better.
Thank you. Still waiting for the bar tape since USPS feels it needs to collect dust for a couple days at their sort facility in Brooklyn before delivering it back to Manhattan.

I'm setting it up tubeless this weekend. I have the same GK tires but in 38s on my SBC all-road and ran it it tubed for the shakedown ride and then went tubeless afterwards.
Likes For primov8:
Old 12-11-20, 03:44 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts

Nice but that seat cover.... should I clean my shoes on it?
Old 12-11-20, 06:14 AM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
Wish Ti bikes were less expensive-would love to own one someday. The frames have several nice qualities about them.
Old 12-11-20, 07:30 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Originally Posted by Fox Farm
Nice but that seat cover.... should I clean my shoes on it?

Don't knock it 'til you've tried it; it's lightweight, offers decent padding, it doesn't collect water/sweat nor heat up like foam; it's easily washable, cheap and very durable.

Originally Posted by Symox
Wish Ti bikes were less expensive-would love to own one someday. The frames have several nice qualities about them.
There are certainly deals to be found for used ti frames, if you know what you're looking for.

I bought my brand new Lynskey disc gravel frame on eBay for less than $500 back in 2018.

My current 2001 Litespeed Ultimate was purchased used back in 2004 for $1700 as complete bike, sans pedals.

It is all about knowing what you're looking for and be patient while looking at multiple sources.

Last edited by cat0020; 12-11-20 at 07:41 AM.
Likes For cat0020:
Old 12-11-20, 09:07 AM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked 2,908 Times in 1,472 Posts
ti frames.

whole different level of quality.have to see in the flesh to appreciate,very underrated,IMO.
Old 12-11-20, 10:20 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Look at Lynskey
Old 12-11-20, 02:04 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by Fox Farm
Look at Lynskey
out of my price range. Maybe a used one someday.
Old 12-13-20, 10:28 AM
lpbllc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
LeMond Ti

I don’t have much info on my bike’s origins. I bought it in 2004 or 2005 from the original owner who raced got it through team sponsorship from Higher Gear around Chicago. It’s probably a 2001 or 2002. It had full Dura Ace group set, 3T stem and bar, Thomson seat post and Fizik seat, LeMond carbon fork. I replaced the original wheel set a long time ago and don’t remember the originals, maybe Zipp. I haven’t seen this orange and blue gulf livery on any other LeMond. It also has a (race number?) tab on the underside of the top tube.

Likes For lpbllc:
Old 12-13-20, 11:25 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 215 Posts
I haven’t rode my ti mtb for a couple of years, and last time I picked up the frame when reorganizing my garage, I realized there is a crack in the chainstay ☹️
Old 12-15-20, 06:53 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts

I have 3. One I bought and two that I built. None of them cost over $2500. I rarely think Ti bikes look good, but I am a fan of the ride to be sure.
Old 12-15-20, 06:54 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts

That bike is a beast! I look forward to seeing it completely built out.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 12-23-20, 02:59 PM
AJ1515

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
My baby. We call him Ed.

Likes For AJ1515:
Old 12-24-20, 05:51 AM
gravelschlub

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by '02 nrs
Every time I see this bike for sale on CL and FB I have to remind myself that I'm WAY too old for it.

Unless I'm mistaking it for another just like it... ...either way, I love it.

Last edited by gravelschlub; 12-24-20 at 05:52 AM. Reason: typo
Likes For gravelschlub:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.