Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-20, 11:51 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by Barchettaman
Hi Robbie.

The mini mudguards are from Poundland in the UK, I modded the rear one to fit on the brake bridge.

As the name of the shop suggests they cost £1 ($1.50-ish)

Unfortunately the shop doesn’t stock them any more.

https://youtu.be/_xz5oTW1Z2s
Well that's a buzz kill.
Old 12-02-20, 11:52 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj

'85 first year Ironman The O.G.
OEM saddle, stem, BB, HS, and DT shifter screws. Complete campy veloce 8 speed group.
Was missing original forks but @RobbieTunes came to the rescue with Centurion Carbon bike aluminum forks, Thanks again R.T.
It's a smooth and stable ride. And it completes my Every year available Ironman collection '85-'89...The Straight.
Everyone should ride one Campy Ironman in their life.
Old 12-03-20, 09:47 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Finally got the last bits to cable this up. First time Ergo build (3x9 group from Brewsmith). This frame came to me in a swap with forumite Hobbitman. Was very happy with the deal, and seeing the original finish up close, even happier that my refinish plans were justified. This is an '86 Miyata 912. New color is Prismatic Powder PMB5342 "Aztec Orange" applied by Groody Bros. Black infill on the fork crown by yours truly. Decals from Velocals. Ritchey bars and stem with adapter. New 13-26 cassette. New KMC chain. FSA Duron headset. Wheels are Fulcrum Racing 6 with Continental GP5000 25s. The Cinelli Unicanitor CMX is a placeholder, but looks pretty good. I'll likely use some Look Keo Classics, but still not 100% decided. Weight without pedals is 22 pounds even.

Old 12-03-20, 10:03 AM
chainwhip

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 84 Posts
Awesome job

The orange is great.

That infill work is also quite nice.

Ride report??

Originally Posted by BFisher

Black infill on the fork crown by yours truly.

Last edited by chainwhip; 12-03-20 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-03-20, 01:18 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
You know, years ago (yes it was years ago), I didn't like this thread. Now I really do. There is a nod to tradition, a nod to advancing technology, and a nod to individual innovation and balancing the aesthetics.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 12-03-20, 02:46 PM
Marylander

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 70 Posts
Here's my 84 Roberts with some potenza and the Tektro R539 calipers (already posted in a different thread but just seeing this one). I'm really enjoying the bike. Only actual old parts are the frame/fork and skewers.
Likes For Marylander:
Old 12-03-20, 02:51 PM
BFisher

@chainwhip Thank you!

No real ride yet. Preliminary testing in the neighborhood here was fantastic. Love the ergonomics. Was pleasantly surprised at the ease of using the thumb levers from the drops. And I think I'm really, really gonna like these tires. Can't wait for a true test.
Old 12-03-20, 03:42 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 858 Posts
I've bought, upgraded and sold this very small Schwinn Circuit a couple of times over the last 15 years, here being sold yet again locally by the person who bought it this summer!

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/bi...240310729.html

Last edited by dddd; 12-03-20 at 03:46 PM.
Likes For dddd:
Old 12-03-20, 07:23 PM
chainwhip

Originally Posted by noglider
You know, years ago (yes it was years ago), I didn't like this thread. Now I really do. There is a nod to tradition, a nod to advancing technology, and a nod to individual innovation and balancing the aesthetics.

Tom -
your comment reminded me of a favorite quote:

Likes For chainwhip:
Old 12-04-20, 01:53 PM
BFisher

Miyata Ride Notes

OK, got a little ride in today on the Miyata. Temps in the 40s, bit of a gnarly headwind heading south along the river.

Had the bike up over 30mph briefly and it felt great. The frame's a 57 and it feels really good. Most direct comparison I have is to my '87 Ironman, and this feels quicker, though I haven't been on the IM in a while.

No hiccups in just under 14 miles, though I need to tweak my FD high limit screw a hair. Shifting was nice - different, but nice. There were a few times when I pressed on the brake lever out of habit. I also noticed that I was pressing a bit too hard when shifting a single cog. I don't know if this is the norm, but when I did that, I'd get chatter at the derailleur. I discovered that if I gently apply pressure to the thumb lever, not enough to click, the chatter disappears. Being that these Ergos will span so many gears in one throw, I assume this is an intentional design? Maybe not? Once I figured out I was pressing too hard to shift one gear, all was smooth after. Shifting also felt quicker than it does on my STI bike. Overall, I really like both systems, and the Campy Ergos are really nice to use.

The Fulcrum freehub is really quiet. The wheels were relatively inexpensive, shipped super fast from the UK, and ride really nicely. Tire mounting was tight with the Continentals, but not a bear.

The highlight of the ride was the GP5000 tires. They are outstanding. Fast, grippy, supple - so glad I found these on sale! Highly recommended.

Would have liked to get a longer ride in but this was my time window. I am really pleased with the way everything came together. The hardest part was waiting for the USPS. Next time I get the chance to take this bike out, I'll head up and out of the valley. Looking forward to that.

Last edited by BFisher; 12-04-20 at 02:01 PM.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 12-06-20, 07:12 PM
chainwhip

OK, got a little ride in today on the Miyata. Temps in the 40s, bit of a gnarly headwind heading south along the river.

Had the bike up over 30mph briefly and it felt great. The frame's a 57 and it feels really good. Most direct comparison I have is to my '87 Ironman, and this feels quicker, though I haven't been on the IM in a while.

No hiccups in just under 14 miles, though I need to tweak my FD high limit screw a hair. Shifting was nice - different, but nice. There were a few times when I pressed on the brake lever out of habit. I also noticed that I was pressing a bit too hard when shifting a single cog. I don't know if this is the norm, but when I did that, I'd get chatter at the derailleur. I discovered that if I gently apply pressure to the thumb lever, not enough to click, the chatter disappears. Being that these Ergos will span so many gears in one throw, I assume this is an intentional design? Maybe not? Once I figured out I was pressing too hard to shift one gear, all was smooth after. Shifting also felt quicker than it does on my STI bike. Overall, I really like both systems, and the Campy Ergos are really nice to use.

The Fulcrum freehub is really quiet. The wheels were relatively inexpensive, shipped super fast from the UK, and ride really nicely. Tire mounting was tight with the Continentals, but not a bear.

The highlight of the ride was the GP5000 tires. They are outstanding. Fast, grippy, supple - so glad I found these on sale! Highly recommended.

Would have liked to get a longer ride in but this was my time window. I am really pleased with the way everything came together. The hardest part was waiting for the USPS. Next time I get the chance to take this bike out, I'll head up and out of the valley. Looking forward to that.
Your posted pics don't show pedals... did you throw on some clipess?

Really liking the orange paint!

Here's a link to a nice saddle option . The real thing is probably marginally better, but for $40 , I've run a similar item for 2 seasons with very good results. This listing is only $30/ free ship:

San Marco Aspide knock off:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2020-Carbon-Fiber-Saddle-Bike-Seat-Road-Bicycle-San-Marco-Aspide-Super-Leggera/373275972200?hash=item56e8fb5268:ghQAAOSweupfiGp8

Old 12-06-20, 07:26 PM
BFisher

Originally Posted by chainwhip
Your posted pics don't show pedals... did you throw on some clipess?

Really liking the orange paint!

Here's a link to a nice saddle option . The real thing is probably marginally better, but for $40 , I've run a similar item for 2 seasons with very good results. This listing is only $30/ free ship:

San Marco Aspide knock off:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2020-Carbon-Fiber-Saddle-Bike-Seat-Road-Bicycle-San-Marco-Aspide-Super-Leggera/373275972200?hash=item56e8fb5268:ghQAAOSweupfiGp8
Yes, I put a pair of Look Keo Classics on for that first ride. Likely stay that way, but still not 100% sure.

Thanks for the link. I'll add that saddle to my list. Currently considering a Prologo Nago Evo Pas and a Flite. I have the Prologo on another bike and like it. Never ridden a Flite before.
Old 12-06-20, 10:05 PM
shotgunslade

Bikes: Softride Roadwing; Colnago World Cup; Raleigh Professional townbike restomod

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
rebuilt a 1970's Raleigh Professional with a Sachs 5-speed internal hub for us as a town bike. Don't have enough posts to post a picture
Old 12-14-20, 10:38 AM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
Yes, I put a pair of Look Keo Classics on for that first ride. Likely stay that way, but still not 100% sure.

Thanks for the link. I'll add that saddle to my list. Currently considering a Prologo Nago Evo Pas and a Flite. I have the Prologo on another bike and like it. Never ridden a Flite before.
Fabric Scoop saddles are also well-made, reasonably priced and don’t look out of place on a vintage frame.
Old 12-14-20, 11:06 AM
Ivory88

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Oldguyonoldbike
Fabric Scoop saddles are also well-made, reasonably priced and don’t look out of place on a vintage frame.
I'm with the Oldguy!!

Old 12-14-20, 11:22 AM
BFisher

Originally Posted by Oldguyonoldbike
Originally Posted by Ivory88
I'm with the Oldguy!!
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I hadn't heard much on those, but wondered what riders thought of them. I'll remember your support for them.

I actually opted for Brooks Cambium C15, as they've been on my radar for a while and I decided I'd like to give one a try on this build. I'll post a pic when I get it and install it.
Old 12-14-20, 12:15 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Ivory88
I'm with the Oldguy!!

Hot!
Old 12-15-20, 08:35 AM
Ed Wiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
I have a Peugeot I bought in 1984 and have rode it ever since. I upgraded to Campy Super Record back in 1985. Would it be possible to upgrade to the Campy Ergo brake shifters? An if so is there a model I should look for?
Old 12-15-20, 08:57 AM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
I'm stoked,

Last night I purchased a 1999 Schwinn Peloton that appears to be in excellent condition. I don't really like the frame though it should fit me, so down the road I plan to use the full Ultegra 9-speed group set (with Dura Ace rear derailleur) and the Ultegra hub/Mavic wheelset as a donor setup for my first real retro roadie! Of course, for the time being, I think I should just try to make the Peloton frame work and see how the thing goes. I've heard good things even with the aluminum fork still installed, though it's rather fugly.

That's the eBay advertisement photo below!

-Gregory

Likes For Kilroy1988:
Old 12-15-20, 12:38 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Kilroy1988
Last night I purchased a 1999 Schwinn Peloton that appears to be in excellent condition.
Ooh, late 90s Schwinn 853 road frame! Super neat. Its amazing to see how many brands had 853 road frames in their catalogs in the late 90s and early 00s.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-15-20, 01:52 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Ooh, late 90s Schwinn 853 road frame! Super neat. Its amazing to see how many brands had 853 road frames in their catalogs in the late 90s and early 00s.
I am very close to buying a 2003 Eddy Merckx "Elite" aluminum frame with carbon fork all in a cool matching flame job paint scheme, and then swapping all of the components over. However, I keep reading great reviews about how these 853 Schwinn frames handle, and even about how crit riders from back in the day were swearing by them. The point of this project is to give myself a more explosive ride than my classic, relaxed steel frames and perhaps going all the way for the Merckx is overkill, considering what I'm reading about the Schwinns...

I'd say I need to wait and see what the Peloton feels like before making the choice, but I don't want the Merckx frame to get away if I go that route! In any case I'll want a new fork on the Schwinn, so that'll be about 1/4 the cost of the entire Merckx frame set, which I think is very cool looking and would undoubtedly be fast... Choices, choices!

-Gregory

Likes For Kilroy1988:
Old 12-15-20, 03:50 PM
BFisher

Saddle arrived today and I put it on. Temps in the 20's now and supposed to get over a foot of snow starting tomorrow, so no test ride yet. Here's a pic though.
Old 12-16-20, 02:17 AM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by Ed Wiser
I have a Peugeot I bought in 1984 and have rode it ever since. I upgraded to Campy Super Record back in 1985. Would it be possible to upgrade to the Campy Ergo brake shifters? An if so is there a model I should look for?
An upgrade to Ergo brake shifters (often known as “brifters”) will require:

Pair of Campy brifters, minimum “speed” (number of rear cogs) is 8, and those will only be available used, but there are plenty out there. Best bet to find them is the Classic & Vintage Sales sub-forum here.
Eight (or whatever the speed number is for the rear brifter) cog cassette, Campy-spaced, on a compatible cassette rear wheel. There are 8-speed freewheels but not a good idea.
Campy-specific rear cassettes and wheels are notably more rare and expensive than Shimano-compatible.
There are combinations of Campy brifters for 9+speed and Shimano cog spacing that work, but others will have to comment on that.
If going with 8-speed, a much cheaper and far more easily sourced alternative would be a Shimano 8/9/10 speed rear wheel, with a loose cog Shimano 8-speed cassette, re-spaced with 7-speed Shimano spacers. Send me a PM if you want to go this route and I’ll send you spacers. Staying with 7-speed Shimano (freewheel or cassette) would be an option with 8-speed brifters.
Probably need to spread your rear dropouts to 130mm (126mm for 7-speed)
Compatible speed count Campy rear derailleur. No, your Super Record rear derailleur is not compatible.
Cable housing stops where your down tube shifters are now located
Longer shift cables and shift housing (not the same as brake housing). You’ll probably need new brake cables and housing, too.
New bar tape, since the brake and shift housings go under the tape
Chain that is compatible in speed count to the rear cog count

Good news:
Your rear shifting will be sooo much more precise. I’d call it “better”, but a few would disagree.
You’ll have far more gearing options, especially if you go with the Shimano cassette option
Campy brifters are compatible with just about any front derailleur.

Clearly not a simple conversion, but obviously there are lots of us that have done it with various approaches, as you can tell by the thousands of bikes in this thread.

We will be happy to help you work through the conversion!

Last edited by Dfrost; 12-17-20 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Added “Campy” for rear derailleur
Likes For Dfrost:
Old 12-17-20, 09:01 AM
Ed Wiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
Lots of info there Nice to know that it is possible to do it. I do have a friend in town that owns a vintage bike repair and sale shop. Maybe I should run by an see him about helping me with the upgrade. Want to get the bike ready for the spring. While all the fancy carbon bikes are nice. I like my bike that I have ridden for so long now. Just would like to upgrade it a little. Thanks will update here when it is finished.
Old 12-17-20, 11:00 AM
chainwhip

Found surfing...too rich for my blood...couldn't let this thread go without,tho..

Caletti (California) - VTM (VINTAGE-TO-MODERN) QUILL STEM

Adapts 31.8 bars to 22.2mm/1" steel frame steerer.
-17 degrees.
This model unfortunately w/o faceplate, but gorgeous anyway:

Last edited by chainwhip; 12-17-20 at 12:02 PM.
Likes For chainwhip:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.