Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-20, 07:30 PM
raymellott

Bikes: 2015 Trek FX 7.0 - modified to be better on the road than it was designed to be. Now, 2021 Domane.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
First, I'd get a second opinion. Second, I'd review how you ride, now. Are you on a road bike or one on which you are upright? Most docs I know of (and I know a few) have just the opposite thought. That you need to stay active; and that bike riding is a dynamite way of doing that. I'm 72. I started riding after I retired 5 years ago, and like most people our age, yeah, I have issues. Ortho issues. Numb hand issues when I spend too much time on the handlebar.... Kidney issues. O2 issues. And, yeah, a stroke back in February that affected my balance. Still, I'm ridin'. At our ages, issues like this go with the territory. A friend of mine went from a hybrid to a step through, because he couldn't swing his leg over the seat. But he still rides. So, get that second opinion. And think of different bikes.
Likes For raymellott:
Old 12-06-20, 10:01 PM
Miami Biker

Bikes: 2018 Cervelo R5 DA Zipp 404s 2014 Cervelo R5, 2012 Scott Metrix 10 Hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
Hi Paco. Many docs do not understand the mechanics of cycling so they may play it safer by saying to stop. You might try a rheumatologist who specializes in joints and backs but does not operate. If you can find a good one they might be better equipped to offer clinical advice. Fact is if cycling will aggravate your back you probably won't wish to ride.

That said chances are you can safely cycle with some good medical advice and following the advices already received like getting a professional fitting and finding a bike that fits your body.

Most of us would cycle regardless as it's so important. I certainly never gave up after breaking my thigh bone and replaced right knee 53,000 miles ago.
Old 12-10-20, 11:37 AM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by tsurr
never grow up , it is no fun at all
I ain't doin none of that !!!!
Old 12-13-20, 02:06 PM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Well, today I finally had my endoscopy and colonoscopy. The good (great) news is that there are no indications of colon or rectal cancer. Also, no indications of internal bleeding from ulcers, polyps, etc. However, I do have some other conditions that require attention and could be serious if left unattended. First, I have a hiatal hernia, which explains my GERD symptoms such as heartburn. I also have Grade A esophagitis, explains my acid reflux. The doc has prescribed omeprazalone (PriLOSEC) to help treat it, but if the hernia gets worse I may need surgery. The other problem is diverticulosis of the sigmoid colon, which can be treated with dietary changes, such as increasing fiber intake. None of this explains my initial iron deficiency, which is normally caused by internal bleeding. So, basically, it looks like I still have some good years in this little body. I'll be 74 in five days from now, and this is my best birthday present.
sounds like great news on the serious issues so for the rest you've got to follow instructions ,,, hope everything goes well ,,,,,
Old 12-13-20, 02:16 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by Fastfingaz
sounds like great news on the serious issues so for the rest you've got to follow instructions ,,, hope everything goes well ,,,,,
Thanks ! Now, all I have to avoid is catching COVID-19 before the vaccine is available. Since this is a bicycle forum:

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me

Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 12-13-20 at 02:27 PM.
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 12-13-20, 08:31 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by raymellott
First, I'd get a second opinion. Second, I'd review how you ride, now. Are you on a road bike or one on which you are upright? Most docs I know of (and I know a few) have just the opposite thought. That you need to stay active; and that bike riding is a dynamite way of doing that. I'm 72. I started riding after I retired 5 years ago, and like most people our age, yeah, I have issues. Ortho issues. Numb hand issues when I spend too much time on the handlebar.... Kidney issues. O2 issues. And, yeah, a stroke back in February that affected my balance. Still, I'm ridin'. At our ages, issues like this go with the territory. A friend of mine went from a hybrid to a step through, because he couldn't swing his leg over the seat. But he still rides. So, get that second opinion. And think of different bikes.
​​​​​​
Yep, skinny tire road bike, (71), 11 speed- compact... left hip problematical (knee revision finally working out) but, believe it or not - shortening the cranks seems to have helped... maybe it's just increasing the q factor but, I think the increase in cadence ends up being a worthwhile trade-off too but, still needing some Aleve and that's not much in the way of big hills and just 12-15 mile rides followed by several beers...
Old 12-14-20, 08:42 AM
raymellott

Bikes: 2015 Trek FX 7.0 - modified to be better on the road than it was designed to be. Now, 2021 Domane.

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
"Yep, skinny tire road bike, (71), 11 speed- compact... left hip problematical (knee revision finally working out) but, believe it or not - shortening the cranks seems to have helped... maybe it's just increasing the q factor but, I think the increase in cadence ends up being a worthwhile trade-off too but, still needing some Aleve and that's not much in the way of big hills and just 12-15 mile rides followed by several beers..."

Me.... cheap aluminum hybrid with slammed stem, cut down bars, Fatter tires, metal pedals with toe clips.. 7 cog rear road cluster, three on the front. 80% of my time is in the middle chainring. Never on the small one.

When I first started riding again, 5 years ago, I rode like when I had my coaster brake single speed western flyer with a tank, horn button, and that stuff kids had back then on their bikes. Mashing with the pedal on my instep. All upright, and all that. I learned to relocate my feet on pedals to the ball of the foot and finding and measuring, and riding to a spinning cadence, rather than mashing. And, it worked. My preferred cadence is now between about 75 and 85. Which of course, isn't anything special, but for me, spinning. And new pedals with toe clips really help position the feet and allow me to add calf muscles to the downstroke and those other muscles on an upstroke.... some. Tylenol, coffee, gatorade, and zyrtec round it all out. All good.
Old 12-27-20, 08:32 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Im 82 and ride about 25 miles every other day. I also lift hand weights. Five or six years ago at a health review, I actually had a PA suggest I shouldnt be doing that. I of course paid no attention to that idiot.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 12-27-20, 07:05 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Im 82 and ride about 25 miles every other day. I also lift hand weights. Five or six years ago at a health review, I actually had a PA suggest I shouldnt be doing that. I of course paid no attention to that idiot.
I really like the way you think.
Old 12-27-20, 08:37 PM
McBTC

Even at 71, I wasn't sure I really belonged here until yesterday when I hit the ground just getting on my bike. No one saw it even though it seemed like ~5 min. to get my ass off the ground. Definitely earned a shot of bottled in bond bourbon for that one...
Old 12-28-20, 07:04 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC
Even at 71, I wasn't sure I really belonged here until yesterday when I hit the ground just getting on my bike. No one saw it even though it seemed like ~5 min. to get my ass off the ground. Definitely earned a shot of bottled in bond bourbon for that one...
At 71 you belong here, if just for the phrase 'bottled in bond'.
Thoughts to the contrary are self-delusional.
But there's no crime in delusion.
Dream On!

Keep your bars clear, and your mind will follow.
Old 12-28-20, 08:05 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Being the oldest family member locally, always makes me feel ancient as we approach the New Year.
observational, not a rant.

My wife always encourages me to sit near the fireplace.
My son calls my Christmas tradition of collared shirt and seasonal tie (changed each year) "old fashioned", and 'almost pre-historic'.
Calmly raking the last fallen leaves from the front yard, a neighbor called out, "Don't have a heart attack working so hard".
My son-in-law announced (today) a new resolution - for the coming year, they would keep one of my bikes at their house, so i would not have to ride the 18 miles (to their home) so often.
Older siblings back East&South with health problems, regularly commenting to my wife all the issues i will be facing soon. And all the medical tests i should be getting.
It's time to sell the heavy, double+kid kayak. But it has such memories, I don't want to let it go. Elkhorn Slough, Monterey Bay was over 2 decades ago.
I don't want wireless earbuds when just hanging out at home.
Commenting on winter-ish yardwork, my daughter replies, 'A good way for you to get outdoors and spend your idle time'
Being told 'You should take a nap more often'.

Maybe I've gotten too sensitive?
I don't offer the same old retorts anymore, they're worn clichés and no longer funny.

Am i alone in this unsolicited, benevolent senior treatment?
Old 12-28-20, 12:52 PM
McBTC

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Being the oldest family member locally, always makes me feel ancient as we approach the New Year.

My son calls my Christmas tradition of collared shirt and seasonal tie (changed each year) "old fashioned", and 'almost pre-historic'.
Calmly raking the last fallen leaves from the front yard, a neighbor called out, "Don't have a heart attack working so hard".
My son-in-law announced (today) a new resolution - for the coming year, they would keep one of my bikes at their house, so i would not have to ride the 18 miles (to their home) so often.
Older siblings back East&South with health problems, regularly commenting to my wife all the issues i will be facing soon. And all the medical tests i should be getting.
It's time to sell the heavy, double+kid kayak. But it has such memories, I don't want to let it go. Elkhorn Slough, Monterey Bay was over 2 decades ago.
Commenting on winter-ish yardwork, my daughter replies, 'A good way for you to get outdoors and spend your idle time'

I don't offer the same old retorts anymore, they're worn clichés and no longer funny.

Yep, we are all a cliche now...
Old 12-29-20, 07:57 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
Wildwood, since you can’t divorce them, friends and family apparently need to be kindly reminded that age is only a state of mind. Keeping mentally and physically active easily removes years if not decades compared to the average Joe. When you become sedentary tell them to bring on their cliches.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-30-20, 07:43 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Weak soup.
Old 01-04-21, 10:07 PM
tilsover

Bikes: 2019 KHS 1000; 1990 (or so) Trek 930

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 29 Posts
65?! Heck, I was something back then!
Old 01-06-21, 11:35 AM
GWG

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Hey, thought I post here for the heck of it.....I'm 73 and been riding Mtn. Bike for many years but just bit the bullet and ordered up an M2S All Terrain Ultra HT FAT TIRE E-bike.....Anxiously awaiting its arrival and will start out riding on Groomed Snowmobile Trails here in Stanley, IDAHO.

Gary
Likes For GWG:
Old 01-06-21, 05:37 PM
fredjustison

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I'm 65 years old from southwest Fl. and ride my mountain bike 6 days a week anywhere from 20-30 miles a day. All road riding no matter what time of year or what temperature. I love it and am hooked!
Likes For fredjustison:
Old 01-07-21, 10:41 AM
rydabent
Banned

If no one saw it, it didnt happen.
Old 01-07-21, 10:53 AM
McBTC

If no one saw it, it didnt happen.
I can't agree with you more...☑️
Old 01-07-21, 10:53 AM
rydabent
Banned

I was the last of a fairly tight group of co-workers that retired. I was 70. They being retired golfed during the week on an old fart card so it was much cheaper. They assumed I would start golfing with them when I retired. So shortly before I retired, I even went out and got one of the new to me huge headed drivers, and went to the practice range. Sorry to say it really just didnt feel right to me any more, so I told the guys no, and kept on riding my bikes. Besides another reason I decided not to golf is they always rented carts, so there really wasnt much exercise at all.

Now that I am 82, sadly I am the only one in reasonable shape, and the other guys have had to give up their golfing for several different reasons. While genes may have something to do with it, I still pretty much lay my good health to the fact that I stayed with cycling. As I have stated before, I ride about 25 miles every other day, and some longer rides with my bike clubs. If you set you rust.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 01-07-21, 03:32 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I was the last of a fairly tight group of co-workers that retired. I was 70. They being retired golfed during the week on an old fart card so it was much cheaper. They assumed I would start golfing with them when I retired. So shortly before I retired, I even went out and got one of the new to me huge headed drivers, and went to the practice range. Sorry to say it really just didnt feel right to me any more, so I told the guys no, and kept on riding my bikes. Besides another reason I decided not to golf is they always rented carts, so there really wasnt much exercise at all.

Now that I am 82, sadly I am the only one in reasonable shape, and the other guys have had to give up their golfing for several different reasons. While genes may have something to do with it, I still pretty much lay my good health to the fact that I stayed with cycling. As I have stated before, I ride about 25 miles every other day, and some longer rides with my bike clubs. If you set you rust.
I walk 18 holes every morning M-F since I retired. I try and ride a couple times on weekdays and then do longer rides on weekends. There’s room for both! I thought playing that much golf I’d be better by now but even after playing for 55+ years it’s just a tough, tough game. There’s a really nice course in the Sandhills out your way I’d like to play one day.
Old 01-09-21, 11:01 AM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
Forgot to mention, I lost a friend named Charles Robert Kammerer Dec. 30, 2020. He was one month away from 93. He preferred to be called Bob.
Old 01-10-21, 10:03 AM
tilsover

Bikes: 2019 KHS 1000; 1990 (or so) Trek 930

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 29 Posts
Some days are warmer than others. Some days are windier than others. Some days gravity is stronger than others.
Old 01-10-21, 11:29 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood

So far, I don't get any of that. Maybe that's because I'm only 75 and not old yet? I am really sad about not planning any loaded tandem tours for this coming summer after we're vaccinated. I don't think we're up to it anymore. But I'm not getting rid of the panniers, etc. Yet. I am having a 24T granny put on to replace the 26T granny which replaced the 30T granny. Doesn't look like it's going to rain this afternoon, woopee, we'll get out for a tandem toot.

Edit next day: We got out there, but it looked like unexpected rain was on the way and we weren't dressed for it, so we just did a few short Z5 intervals, came in and did another 30' on our trainer/rollers.

Last edited by Carbonfiberboy; 01-11-21 at 01:33 PM. Reason: update
Likes For Carbonfiberboy:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.