Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Can we talk about the this Rivendell Hillibike thing?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 01-26-21, 11:02 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 419 Posts

From the horses mouth:"
All Steel Hillibikes

Models: Gus Boots-Willsen, Susie W. Longbolts, Clem Smith JR.

Purpose: Trail riding, smooth or rough, loaded or unloaded. Also excellent for loaded road touring, all of them.

Rivendell differences: These are so different from modern mountain bikes that we had to come up with Hillibikes, to point out that we aren’t even trying to be like them. But you can ride them on the same trails.

Aside from only steel and no suspension, our Hillibikes are markedly geometrically different than modern “mountain” bikes, in that they have much longer chainstays and wheelbases. That contributes to a ride unequalled in unsuspended bikes, and yet makes them ideal for any trails. We will have a separate Hillibike brochure, which raves on ad nauseam about ours, and offers good tips on style, technique, and gets into some other interesting topics."

Hillibike rough draft?

So Rivendell started pitching "Hillibikes" to the huddled masses a while back. I recall a comment that this was a reaction to the global shortage of vintage lugged mountain frames, suitable for conversion into "Poor "Mans" Rivendells". I'm sure there's a couple essays on postmodern consumer cachet in there, but I'm more interested in how Mr. Petersons Hllibike paradigm contrasts with a good old fashioned Country Bike?

Now at present I have my own version of a Country Bike, with Moustache bars, thumb shifters, Brooks, bags, racks, basket, bell, lights, fenders and fat tires. And there's a Bridgestone sticker peeking out from all the tacked on bits. The frame is a low end CB-1, but the geometry is right, and with all the extra weigh added on the frame weight isn't an issue. This bike lives in the country, but mostly sees pavement. It does fine on "fire roads" but I have felt like I've asked a bit much at times, and it can sound like a tinkers cart going over a cliff when things get interesting. The thought that perhaps I would be better off on a mountain bike occasionally crossed my mind as the color returned to my knuckles.

As far as real mountain bikes, I'm not a fan of flat bar's, or being super stretched out. I will spend a good amount of time in the drops on my road bike, but for cruising around I like to be more upright. Superficially the Rivendell Hillibikes seem be on a parallel track with "Altbars" and upright Jones bike geometry.

In my pile, I have a slightly too large Bridgestone 93 MB-5. When I was a kid I got sold a slightly too small MB-5, that I got discouraged with after a few long road rides, and when I did finally jell with it my younger self's expresso fueled interpretation of traffic codes led to a rather dramatic unresolved misunderstanding in a small town, so the bright red bike was passed on.. but I digress.

So if I put a set of Choco bars on high rise stem and hang a saddle bag off the back of an over sized MB-5 am I there? Will My Down East Maine Repack moments rise above merely survival?

Or did Mr. Peterson really come up with something new that the "poor"man"" can not simply replicate?

Semi P.S. My original thought was that crashing with a cruiser style handle would be dangerous as the swept back ends would try to skewer you. So there is an "is this even a good idea" aspect.

Last edited by bark_eater; 01-26-21 at 11:11 AM.
Likes For bark_eater:
Old 01-26-21, 11:20 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,577 Times in 910 Posts
I dunno what they're on about. It sounds like they are trying to put personality behind an old 1980's rigid mountain bike found on Craigslist for $47

Nothing about friction shifters though, so there is that.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 01-26-21, 11:27 AM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
The Choco bars look cool...

you like drops (me too) and are scared of being impaled (me too)

I’d save the Chocos for a city/town bike and put some 54cm wide parallel drops with long hood levers on a short-length+tall stem for my Hillibike (if mine didn’t already have some perfectly fine Bullmoose bars).

regarding undersize/oversize frames... that’s on you.

I sorta like long frames for the no-toe-overlap, but am happy to compromise that for the flickability of small frames with long+tall stems and a qr & hiterite on the seatpost and it’s high setting a bit on the low side.
Old 01-26-21, 11:59 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10901 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
Hang on- is that actually a rough draft of their catalog? Thats messed up if it is, whoever leaked it is lame. If that isnt a rough draft, then what exactly did I just scroll thru?
The history of MTB is played out at this point- why is it being recapped for the millionbillionth time? And the Genghis Khan piece in a bike brochure was...confusing, at least the part that I even managed to read.

It looks like they are trying to sell what they always sell- nostalgia. And they are apparently going into great detail to show how to use the nostalgia(ride the smooth line on a bumpy trail, keep pedaling, lift the front end, get your butt back on descents, etc) in an effort to mitigate its inherent limitations compared to modern design.
- Are 2 of the 3 frames designed for a quill stem? Really? I get this is the C&V forum, but a quill on mountain bikes is simply just less than awesome when ridden harder than a sunday social roll through the idyllic countryside for a picnic.
- What wheelsize are these designed for?...i couldnt find anything in the documents.

I no longer own a modern MTB as I came to accept that I disliked it on the singletrack I ride in my area. The super slack HTA, boost 27.5 wheels, 140mm suspension = a Humvee in the twisty flat singletrack I ride. It was brutal to throw around on trails and I enjoy my gravel bike a lot more in those woods.
Point is- this sort of bike is in theory for me, yet I look at it and it just seems...manufactured nostalgia rather than purpose built to meet demand, even if there is ultimately demand to be found.
Ill continue to look for a rigid frameset that fits, has good tire clearance, and rides quickly in twisty singletrack.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-26-21, 12:02 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
I think the Rivendells have much longer chainstays like the earliest MTBs or ever a bit longer. So to get a similar ride, you would have to get one of the earlier Stumpjumpers, or a Cimarron. I have never seen a Hillibike in person, but I bet they are much lighter than an old MTB and that makes a little difference, depending on your espressos, if you are throwing it around on a trail.
Old 01-26-21, 12:03 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 317 Posts
I’ve built more’n one “hillibike,” even a couple out of old bridgestones. I like the aesthetic.
Old 01-26-21, 12:11 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts
It’s a Grant bike slackish with long chain stays though these are in essence step through

what’s the confusion
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 01-26-21, 02:27 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Skipping the quotes:

The Brochure draft was "leaked" on a Rivendell blog.

My Bridgestone has chain stays 45mm shorter than a 1985 bike , so this 93 frame wouldn't give the full long wheelbase experience. I've got a damaged 84 Stumpjumper that would be a some day candidate.

The only cognitive dissonance I'm trying to smooth out is the fully swept back bars on a Hill/Mountain bike.

Last edited by bark_eater; 01-26-21 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-26-21, 03:09 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
jones did it first!!
Old 01-26-21, 03:12 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Originally Posted by bark_eater

The only cognitive dissonance I'm trying to smooth out is the fully swept back bars on a Hill/Mountain bike.
it's just image. they certainly aren't practical unless you're camping/packing. even then, it's questionable...and awkward
Likes For thook:
Old 01-26-21, 03:26 PM
bark_eater 

Originally Posted by thook
jones did it first!!
I've got a set of Jones bars on a Big Dummy. Their not magic yet, but I will be trying a new stem in the spring. My single speed mountain bike has Soma Clarence bars, but they don't give much variation in grip. I also run VO Crazy bars on my touring bike, so Rivendell's presentation of sweptback bars as viable "Alt Bars" is interesting.
Old 01-26-21, 03:41 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by bark_eater
I've got a set of Jones bars on a Big Dummy. Their not magic yet, but I will be trying a new stem in the spring. My single speed mountain bike has Soma Clarence bars, but they don't give much variation in grip. I also run VO Crazy bars on my touring bike, so Rivendell's presentation of sweptback bars as viable "Alt Bars" is interesting.
interesting at most

given jones' frames are long in the top tube but "short" in reach, i believe shorter stems are what he had in mind for those bars. personally, i don't like much sweep. 15 or so degrees at most. much more doesn't feel quite as natural to me on real rough terrain, but i can see how folks would like them. i'd have something like the clarence...just not as extreme so bar extensions don't look whack and are still usable
Old 01-26-21, 04:23 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
Damn it! Now I'm about to talk myself into driving 3 hrs. RT for a '85 Schwinn MTB frame.

edit: missed it.

Last edited by Classtime; 01-26-21 at 07:30 PM.
Likes For Classtime:
Old 01-26-21, 06:55 PM
bark_eater 

Edit: Rats...

Last edited by bark_eater; 01-26-21 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-26-21, 08:53 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 482 Posts
Hillibike? or Sillibike?
Likes For davester:
Old 01-26-21, 09:17 PM
bark_eater 

NouveauKlunkiBike
Old 01-26-21, 09:35 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 926 Posts
I would still really love a Homer with the old geometry and cantis.

I really like my super long chain stay Treks, I get the 'long chain stay' thing. I don't understand why the entire line had to be changed to that. I also understand having too many models, but if you really, but make another long chain stay option- but keep the models like they were.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 01-27-21, 02:58 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Boy, have I been out of the loop! This is the absolute first mention I've seen of these bikes. Then again, I haven't checked the Rivendell website in a couple of years now. Never saw a reason to, for the simple reasons of: 1. I can't afford their bikes, and 2. Anything they sell I can build using a vintage frame, at a price that I can afford. Being a die-hard roadie, I always do own one mountain bike for the 3-4 times a year I get the urge to go out on the dirt (current bike is a 90's Trek 6500, hardtail, suspension fork, V-brakes, 3x7, and the second most modern MTB I've ever owned).

I'm completely non-plussed with these bikes. While I completely agree with the cry of, "modern MTB's are nothing more than motocrossers minus engines" (my one experience with a state-or-the-art MTB, carbon frame, hydraulic disc brakes, etc. was the one time I came seriously close to injuring myself), I don't see anything appealing regarding these bikes at all. First off, the step-thru frame is a major turnoff. Yes, that's probably little George Robert circa 1958 convinced that step-throughs are for girls only, and is a bias that I'll only drop a week or so after I've gotten comfortable with road frames where the top tube is not parallel to the pavement. Good luck.

From a couple of those pictures in the catalog, taken head-on, the handlebars look like something from my rod-braked roadsters. Nope. If I'm riding off road, I like having a straight bar in front of me. I've ridden a few dirt bikes in my time, and this is one of the places where I'm glad MTB's copy motocrossers.

And then there's the prostelizing. No, I'm not a Mongolian warrior out riding the steppes to plunder, loot and ****. I'm just a guy who likes chugging on a few woodland trails, and stays away from the difficult sections to due to a gross lack of skill.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 01-27-21, 05:09 PM
jingy2

Bikes: 1996 Rivendell All-Rounder, 2000 Chris Kvale, 1989 Eddy Merckx 7-11 Corsa Extra, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr, Rivendell Roadini, 86 Mercian Vincitore, 85 Vitus 979, 89 Vitus Carbone 9, 83 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 79 Motobecane Grand Touring,2022 Corvus Rhino

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 22 Posts
They sell the bikes they want to ride. And don't have have any problem selling said limited production bikes, as their inventory status shows.
There is a choice of bike for everyone, this is one.

Jim
Likes For jingy2:
Old 01-27-21, 05:44 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
And the Genghis Khan piece in a bike brochure was...confusing, at least the part that I even managed to read.
Left me wondering if the bike came with studs on the saddle.
Old 01-27-21, 05:51 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
"Can we talk about the this Rivendell Hillibike thing?"

Well, it's about Grant Petersen, so it's impossible not to have a 15 page thread.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 01-27-21, 06:43 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1006 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,030 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
Left me wondering if the bike came with studs on the saddle.
Why would I want studs in the saddle? Aren't I enough?
Old 01-27-21, 07:13 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked 2,737 Times in 1,497 Posts
this is nothing new for grant....remember the xo-1? (pic below)

and here is a link to the bridgestone 93 catalog....it reads a lot like a rivendell catalog https://www.sheldonbrown.com/bridges...3/pages/30.htm

I think he has a vision and builds sells to that vision. IMHO I don't think it is nostalgia, but what in his mind works, if it was nostalgia he wouldn't have sloping top tube frames

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 01-27-21, 07:48 PM
bark_eater 

I'm going to have to read the brochure again, but I can kind of see how the straight back bars might be part of the whole with a springy long chain stay bike that you sort of ride inside of and are already so upright that when you get out of the saddle you go straight up and your weight distribution stays the same. That could be the genesis of the Genghis ride.
Likes For bark_eater:
Old 01-27-21, 08:36 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3875 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 2,205 Posts
I mean how much chainstay do you really need 95% of the time. How one makes their choice regarding bar selection and the subsequent handling oneself issues is a personal one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.