Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

How common is 300w for an hour?

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

How common is 300w for an hour?

Old 02-18-21, 08:45 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
I've had PT, Quarq and SRM pms.

In my experience, each gave me different numbers. 300w on a PT was much easier to hit and hold than 300w on the SRM. Quarq was in the middle. I also know it was much easier to hit very high sprint numbers on the PT than my SRM, though my highest recorded power came on the SRM. And when on the Kickr and using the Wahoo app, the Kickr numbers are usually about 5-10% higher than my SRM numbers.

At this point, I have SRMs on three bikes, and all three give me the same numbers.

I also now have a Stages that I took off my wife's bike before she sold it and doesn't fit on any of her other bikes, but I haven't used it yet, so I don't know where it fits into this.
Old 02-18-21, 09:19 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,960 Times in 1,571 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
What's wrong with powertap hubs? I really like mine, and it's how I race on zwift (on rollers - with a fork stand at the moment).
There's nothing wrong with it, which is why it's taken me so long. I'm just missing some functionality, like the ability to measure power with race wheels on (road or TT) , or to compare to my direct drive Saris H3 smart trainer
Old 02-18-21, 09:20 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
It's not like it's isn't an industry with a long and storied history of product issues, failures, and inaccuracies.

It's also important to point out that we're not even talking about something inherent in the meter itself but in the at homes calibration process. If one use a 50 pound weight that isn't really 50 pounds but +/- by some measure the number is different. Then there's the +/- 2% from there.
Old 02-18-21, 10:26 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
I kind of want to make sure now the discussion stays with "real world" power. I think Zwift is so full of crap it can't be trusted for this discussion.

Case in point.....
So, just this week I was on Zwift doing an hour long sweetspot/threshold level interval. I was doing 265w nonstop on Richmond "fan flats". Avg speed on the road bike with the draft during this time was about 24mph or so. 265w being 3.75w/kg. As people pass you can see the color of the workout "zone" and see the power on the display as they pass. Then the board on the right shows their w/kg, so you can work out the weight. You can also see a symbol if they're doing a workout with erg mode by a symbol.

During that ride I pass a rider in a rest part of an interval, I assume. I think the color was grey. I glance and see they're doing like 230w in Z1. I think, whoa nelly, that's a lot of Z1 power. So, I workout the weight from their w/kg and they're between 220 and 240lbs.

They get into a work interval and the color changes to one of the non-VO2 zones but not tempo. Green? Yellow? As they pass I couldn't see the power.......but suddenly it's saying 5.3w/kg. They did this long enough to LAP ME on the fan flats course. So, like over 530w for over 20min. Possibly. They disappeared from the board, then reappeared behind me still at the same figures.

Not Zwift power with a curve on your fluid trainer, real meter.

Bull crap.

So, I disqualify Zwift from this discussion. I trust nothing I see on there any longer. Period. So, all the folks routinely doing 300w for 35, 45min at 100kg plus on Zwift..........I will say disqualified from counting. Same for 60kg folks on Zwift. Can't trust it.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 02-18-21, 12:05 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro

In my experience, each gave me different numbers. 300w on a PT was much easier to hit and hold than 300w on the SRM. Quarq was in the middle. I also know it was much easier to hit very high sprint numbers on the PT than my SRM, though my highest recorded power came on the SRM. And when on the Kickr and using the Wahoo app, the Kickr numbers are usually about 5-10% higher than my SRM numbers.

At this point, I have SRMs on three bikes, and all three give me the same numbers.

I also now have a Stages that I took off my wife's bike before she sold it and doesn't fit on any of her other bikes, but I haven't used it yet, so I don't know where it fits into this.
Interesting, I find my G3 agrees with my Quarq dFour almost to the watt. I have no idea if my Direto is accurate or not, I only use it for terrain simulation (I pair my Quarq to Zwift for power).
Old 02-18-21, 12:49 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
I've recently thought you could sell a product that gives accuracy tests to certify power meters. For example, in Zwift Racing you bring in your trainer to be certified accurate and it picks up that SSN (which I'm not even sure exists) and Zwift knows its accurate power. For 'Championships' that and a weigh in the week of the race would be required, almost like a test proctor.

You could probably do it with an SRM and a pedal PM to compare the 3, but there would have to be a standard or people would argue the results.
Old 02-18-21, 01:04 PM
topflightpro

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Interesting, I find my G3 agrees with my Quarq dFour almost to the watt. I have no idea if my Direto is accurate or not, I only use it for terrain simulation (I pair my Quarq to Zwift for power).
I had PT SL 2.4, later updated to 2.4+. So, much older than the G3. My Quarq was also a second generation model, again, much older than the dFour. So, it's possible the technology has improved since I used it. (I also went through 3 Quarqs in 18 months, which is how I ended up on SRM, but that is another story.)
Old 02-18-21, 01:31 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by furiousferret
I've recently thought you could sell a product that gives accuracy tests to certify power meters. For example, in Zwift Racing you bring in your trainer to be certified accurate and it picks up that SSN (which I'm not even sure exists) and Zwift knows its accurate power. For 'Championships' that and a weigh in the week of the race would be required, almost like a test proctor.

You could probably do it with an SRM and a pedal PM to compare the 3, but there would have to be a standard or people would argue the results.

The weigh-in thing is forever a weak link in all this, and the reason I think the only way zwift becomes legit racing is doing in the same place real time like they run rowing regattas indoors. You can have massive shifts in weight. Gees until I moved here we had a hot tub and I sat in there about an hour a day. I could lose 7 pounds or more.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 02-18-21, 01:53 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by furiousferret

Most recently, I'm pretty sure they shipped the same trainer to all participants from Garmin........the Tacx. So, you used what they shipped you. I can only find the "partner" literature right now, but there was an article floating around talking about the effort to send them out............either that or that was just a fever dream.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 02-18-21, 01:56 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 2,914 Times in 1,782 Posts
The ZRL protocol of having you video yourself weighing yourself, then weighing some object (a weight, a gallon of water), then weighing yourself with the weight, then measuring your height all in one continuous video within 12 hours before or after your race is better than nothing, but I did a light 40 minute ride before bed last night and didn't drink as much as usual during the ride (didn't feel like I was working much) and my scales said I weighed ~1.5 lbs less this morning when I weighed myself than I did yesterday morning (drank a typical amount during the 3 laps of Whole Lotta Lava the night before), so, as you say, there is lots of room for gamesmanship. Of course, I'm a fatty, so there's a lot more room for play in my numbers (and small changes have less of an effect) than you folks with typical cyclists' bodies.
Old 02-18-21, 02:10 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by himespau
The ZRL protocol of having you video yourself weighing yourself, then weighing some object (a weight, a gallon of water), then weighing yourself with the weight, then measuring your height all in one continuous video within 12 hours before or after your race is better than nothing, but I did a light 40 minute ride before bed last night and didn't drink as much as usual during the ride (didn't feel like I was working much) and my scales said I weighed ~1.5 lbs less this morning when I weighed myself than I did yesterday morning (drank a typical amount during the 3 laps of Whole Lotta Lava the night before), so, as you say, there is lots of room for gamesmanship. Of course, I'm a fatty, so there's a lot more room for play in my numbers (and small changes have less of an effect) than you folks with typical cyclists' bodies.
If that's the case, yeah........do an easy Z1/Z2 ride 12 hrs before with no fan.......drop 3 lbs......weigh immediately........hydrate. That's over a kilo right there.

The other thing with the weighing an object like a weight is that most home scales probably don't have a good range for small weights like a 10lb dumb bell.

Whatever. I think I know my answer now is to not pay attention to almost anything on Zwift and not nearly as much "indoors" stuff that comes across my Strava also. Just pay attention to my own progress and consistency.

This week, doing well on time in zones. Just gotta do it tonight for the harder stuff and I'll be done for the week on the harder stuff (since Monday was harder also).
Old 02-18-21, 02:25 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 2,914 Times in 1,782 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Whatever. I think I know my answer now is to not pay attention to almost anything on Zwift and not nearly as much "indoors" stuff that comes across my Strava also. Just pay attention to my own progress and consistency.
Eh, racing is racing. Doing it with a team is fun. I know I'm not going to win, so I try to win my group or bridge to the next one, or not lose the sprint or whatever. I've sort of convinced myself not to care that not all the other people are racing fairly (hell, my powertap might not be fully accurate). Racing against some avatar on a screen that I can convince myself is a real person putting out a real effort is a helluva lot more fun than staring at a graph to see if I'm hitting my goals (though the latter is much better if I actually want to get better at this thing).
Likes For himespau:
Old 02-18-21, 02:41 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

I guess I appreciate the terrain in there for free riding when weather sucks. Sure, the structured training workouts I can toss on there from TP are nice. But being able to free ride for 2.5 hours indoors and not want to punch drywall out of boredom is great.

Also, learning to "world hack" has made me happier. Much fewer people in the world, so your bike speed is much more realistic without the crazy drafting. Also, tends to be fewer obvious cheats roaming around flying at 50mph. More peaceful.

Just put the code into the text doc of the world you want, and voila. Mostly empty France. Or one up everyone and go fully solo and get started then turn off the wifi. No weirdness. Just you.

As for group events, I only really do group rides with the group of folks I know and have a Facebook group with. That makes that more enjoyable. We have Discord channel going usually.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 02-18-21, 02:56 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I guess I appreciate the terrain in there for free riding when weather sucks. Sure, the structured training workouts I can toss on there from TP are nice. But being able to free ride for 2.5 hours indoors and not want to punch drywall out of boredom is great.

Also, learning to "world hack" has made me happier. Much fewer people in the world, so your bike speed is much more realistic without the crazy drafting. Also, tends to be fewer obvious cheats roaming around flying at 50mph. More peaceful.

Just put the code into the text doc of the world you want, and voila. Mostly empty France. Or one up everyone and go fully solo and get started then turn off the wifi. No weirdness. Just you.

As for group events, I only really do group rides with the group of folks I know and have a Facebook group with. That makes that more enjoyable. We have Discord channel going usually.
I think the TT bike and workout mode have no draft effect if that's all you want.
Old 02-18-21, 03:16 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

I seem to prefer the lonelier roads. I know my own effort is all it is if I choose the TT bike, and often do. Just that the world hack means fewer "high load" glitches in Zwift also. Like, you don't see all the weird flying bikes or people soaring off into the woods like you do sometimes in a really busy world.

For road bike, I'll often do something with an Epic KOM or Alpe climb. The w/kg and length of climb seems to somehow negate a lot of the weirdness where it is flatter. No idea why. Also that way I gain elevation towards the Tron bike.

Our Zwift group has a custom team kit on there that the blue Tron wheels would look awesome with!
Old 02-18-21, 03:36 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
I had PT SL 2.4, later updated to 2.4+. So, much older than the G3. My Quarq was also a second generation model, again, much older than the dFour. So, it's possible the technology has improved since I used it. (I also went through 3 Quarqs in 18 months, which is how I ended up on SRM, but that is another story.)
I have heard stories of older Quarqs. Have to say dFour has been completely bombproof. And half the time its calibration number is 69. There are no drawbacks!
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 02-18-21, 03:51 PM
Toespeas

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
i would say on the road in a crit you wont actually do that because you are rotating but it should be pretty common to be able to produce 300 , thats not really that much , but again you will be rotating so you can hold 30 mph for the hour at around 225 but you will be surging up and down
on group ride pretty much the same , if you can find and hour climb or a climbing road race that seeing you have to produce more than 300 up the climbs you might average it , indoors it should be pretty easy depending on how accurate your power meter is , it will be about 25 miles per hour .
if you are talking 325 for like 5 hours then i will be unable to understand how thats possible but its said to be done by the elites !
Old 02-18-21, 05:05 PM
sewupnut

Bikes: 2005 Seven Odonata (DuraAce /Reynolds),1983 Trek 950 (Mavic/Suntour/Regina), 1986 Stumpjumper Shimano/Suntour/Regina), 1986 MASI 3V, (Campy/Mavic/Regina) 1995 Schwinn LeTour (Suntour/Wienmann/Phil/Shimano/Regina): All Brooks Saddles

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
So you don't train by power, and this tangent is moot.
Now that you mention it, I've got one working Cateye Solar left. Think I'll just start using it again.
Old 02-18-21, 05:27 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by Toespeas
i would say on the road in a crit you wont actually do that because you are rotating but it should be pretty common to be able to produce 300 , thats not really that much , but again you will be rotating so you can hold 30 mph for the hour at around 225 but you will be surging up and down
on group ride pretty much the same , if you can find and hour climb or a climbing road race that seeing you have to produce more than 300 up the climbs you might average it , indoors it should be pretty easy depending on how accurate your power meter is , it will be about 25 miles per hour .
if you are talking 325 for like 5 hours then i will be unable to understand how thats possible but its said to be done by the elites !

This is like a cdr thread.Which particular you is averaging 30 mph for an hour crit?
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 02-19-21, 08:28 AM
topflightpro

Originally Posted by gsteinb
This is like a cdr thread.Which particular you is averaging 30 mph for an hour crit?
East Coast Watts.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 02-19-21, 09:39 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

OK cliff notes time, east coast guys can do 300w an hour no problem, west coast maybe, BTS hates zwift, zwift is nothing like real racing, and power meters are (sometimes) accurate.
Old 02-19-21, 09:54 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts

If the Stages is NDS and your pedals are dual, potentially there could be a difference (either high or low) depending on if your left leg is dominant or not. Not because the NDS PM is not accurate, but because it's only taking that one reading and applying it to the right as well. I have not met anyone who's L/R balance stays consistent in all conditions. In general if you are climbing at a high steady effort, L/R is pretty consistent, but when you throw variations in effort, level of fatigue, etc.... that's when the variation starts opening up and where you will see an effect on total power.

Last edited by jadocs; 02-19-21 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-19-21, 09:56 AM
jadocs

Originally Posted by TMonk
I'm finally ready to retire my ptab hub... I've had three now and no other meters to date. Total boomer status, I know.

I'm thinking of doing the Favero pedals, they seem pretty cool.
You can't go wrong with these pedals. I used to be very hesitant about giving up my SPD-SLs, but honestly, I don't notice any difference clipping in or out. I also never had a problem with the pedal rotating on me when I tried to clip in (some people say that is an issue for them).
Likes For jadocs:
Old 02-19-21, 10:07 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

I have heard a lot of good things about them! Thanks for the testimony.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 02-19-21, 10:22 AM
jadocs

Originally Posted by TMonk
I have heard a lot of good things about them! Thanks for the testimony.
Yep, and with respect to my comment about L/R balance above....The Duos have what they call Instantaneous Angular Velocity (IAV). Other brands average the angular velocity and is why they cannot be used with oval chainrings. So if accurate total power is important, you can't go wrong.

https://cycling.favero.com/blog/tech...hats-iav-power
Likes For jadocs:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.