Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your favorite road tubeless tires

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Your favorite road tubeless tires

Old 03-09-21, 11:39 AM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Vittoria Corsa Speed 2.0 TLR.

Running 23mm in front and 25mm in rear for a month and a half or about 1700km now, training on all sorts of roads, mostly good ones. They are fast, rather comfortable and lightweight. Installation was easy and they go on with hands only easily on two different wheelsets and a disc wheel. So far they've sealed a minor puncture well enough that I didn’t need to do anything, and a couple well enough that I got home on reduced pressure and could patch the tire in peace (it can really flat if you plow full speed into a pothole - it was obscured by a huge puddle of water).

Wet grip isn't something to write home about and they’re not very puncture resistant, but I'll be using them for a few endurance events this year including IM Barcelona (well, provided they happen and Ironman doesn't go bust, given the state of things), they seem durable enough.
​​​​​​
Using about 105 psi on both, typically.
​​​​​

Last edited by Branko D; 03-09-21 at 03:36 PM.
Likes For Branko D:
Old 03-09-21, 12:25 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1157 Post(s)
Liked 438 Times in 311 Posts
Panaracer Race A Evo3

In the 25 mm width. I got these from Excel Sports Boulder at a good price. I think they have now been replaced with the “Evo4” version now although no one in the USA seems to carry it.

But the Panaracer RaceA Evo3’s have been the ones that I learned how to do a proper tape job & get the correct valves for my DT Swiss R460 rims with...

A couple of big pluses with these tires 1) grippy-ness 2) (maybe imaginary) sidewall rigidity that makes cornering precise but not stiff like a cheap tubed clincher. The off axis curvature of these is a little elliptical & the original sales literature posted on the Excel Sports website described the design which I do believe is a thing & not just advertising script.

I’ve only ridden this set for about 450 miles but am starting the 2021 riding season with these on my titanium bike so I can do an extended mileage report on these later for anyone interested.

I’ve been running them with like 86 psi rear & 72 psi front BTW which has been working out well along with about 40 ml of Effetto Mariposa sealant.
Likes For masi61:
Old 03-09-21, 12:35 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,435 Times in 4,663 Posts
I've been wanting to try out the Vittoria Corsa/Corsa Control (Excel has had twin packs at a decent price for oh, about a year, now), but I'd heard not so great things about wet grip and mounting difficulty, so they'd slid down the list. Maybe I'll still pick some up before too long.
Old 03-09-21, 12:38 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
Specialized S-Works Turbo Rapidair 30mm
Just bringing these up since nobody else has. These are the only road tubeless I have run but I am very impressed with their suppleness, speed, and cornering. They are so easy to mount for me that I can do it with my tiny 6" hand pump.

Their main disadvantages seem to be that they are part of a large bike company and not a tire company so they get no respect, and they have the stupidest naming system which just tacks words on to previous models. These ones are their newer top of the line tubeless tires, "Rapidair" is the keyword for that I think.
Likes For scottfsmith:
Old 03-09-21, 01:58 PM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I'm currently on GP5Ks, and they're good, but I have zero reference point to other TL. These are my first TL experience after coming from old-school style 110psi 23s. The TL seem more supple, but that's probably largely due to running 85psi. I'm very interested to try the Vittoria Corse Speed 2.0.
I'm in the same boat. I'm on 25s. A lot of my usual roads are pretty rough, so I was looking for a good mix of puncture resistance / performance. So far, they are very comfortable, though I don't have a TL frame of reference. I can say that they are the first tire that I just could not mount - I had to get help. I'll probably try something else when these wear out.

But... they are fine. Similar in comfort to the 28 Rubino Pros I was running with tubes but with a little better grip. On the comfort side, though, these are different wheels, so I don't know how much of the comfort is the tires versus the wheels.

Oh - and this thread is fantastic. I will be revisiting it when I get closer to needing to buy new tires.
Likes For ericcox:
Old 03-09-21, 02:02 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 302 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
The original Pro One TLE seemed to have a reputation for being fast and supple, but also for being a little fragile, which is why I avoided them. The pricing on them is pretty fantastic right now, though, and you might do okay if even one of out 4 meets a premature end.

In general, though, it's getting harder to find sale prices on good TL tires - discounts are neither as deep nor as common as they were pre-covid.
Sadly for me it was 3 out of four that failed with under 500 miles on them due to what looked to be glass cuts. With one I saw the glass on the road but couldn't do anything about it. I do put a lot of the blame for this on the inability of university students to put beer bottles in the bin, but I have had a better experience with the Conti's.

I generally buy tires 4 at a time for my road bikes, and right now I have found a couple of web vendors who have them for around $50 with shipping included for 4 tires.
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 03-09-21, 02:06 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by scottfsmith
Specialized S-Works Turbo Rapidair 30mm
Just bringing these up since nobody else has. These are the only road tubeless I have run but I am very impressed with their suppleness, speed, and cornering. They are so easy to mount for me that I can do it with my tiny 6" hand pump.

Their main disadvantages seem to be that they are part of a large bike company and not a tire company so they get no respect, and they have the stupidest naming system which just tacks words on to previous models. These ones are their newer top of the line tubeless tires, "Rapidair" is the keyword for that I think.
If I'm being honest, I've been interested in some of the Spec tires in the past, but they're so tight with their pricing and I'm a cheap-ass that's always lookin' for a deal.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-09-21, 02:07 PM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

I've been wanting to try out the Vittoria Corsa/Corsa Control (Excel has had twin packs at a decent price for oh, about a year, now), but I'd heard not so great things about wet grip and mounting difficulty, so they'd slid down the list. Maybe I'll still pick some up before too long.
My non-tubeless Rubino Pros (the Graphene 2.0) I had were pretty difficult to mount - I got one on without tools, the other took a bit of profanity/levers. Not sure how this would translate to Corsas... I have always liked Vittorias so they were on my list to try next. "Ease of mounting" may be a requirement, however, which would probably be a knock against them.
Likes For ericcox:
Old 03-09-21, 02:12 PM
AUPedla

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 32 Posts
I'm running 28mm Pirelli P Zero Race TLRs on Zipp Firecrests and rate them. Getting them on was no harder than other tyres and the beads popped straight away. Took a little while to seal properly but that was the valves rather than the tyres. Good cornering grip and nice supple ride over the rough stuff.

I'm on the lookout for a tan wall 28mm that suits hookless rims.
Likes For AUPedla:
Old 03-09-21, 02:13 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
Sadly for me it was 3 out of four that failed with under 500 miles on them due to what looked to be glass cuts. With one I saw the glass on the road but couldn't do anything about it. I do put a lot of the blame for this on the inability of university students to put beer bottles in the bin, but I have had a better experience with the Conti's.

I generally buy tires 4 at a time for my road bikes, and right now I have found a couple of web vendors who have them for around $50 with shipping included for 4 tires.
Ouch. Yeah, that's the kind of feedback that kept me away from them - they seem like a race-day-only tire. Based on the articles from when the Pro One Evo/Addix was released, the new One is essentially the old Pro One, so that may be one to avoid, too.

Side note: Schwalbe could have done a better job with their naming with the generational shift
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-09-21, 02:19 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by AUPedla
I'm running 28mm Pirelli P Zero Race TLRs on Zipp Firecrests and rate them. Getting them on was no harder than other tyres and the beads popped straight away. Took a little while to seal properly but that was the valves rather than the tyres. Good cornering grip and nice supple ride over the rough stuff.
I take it that this is on the new 303 Firecrest?

I've been on the lookout for the same thing and was hopeful that the Goodyear Eagle F1 TLRs would be the ticket, but they've gotten kind of beat up by the reviews - rolling resistance seems to be off the mark vs the competition.
Old 03-09-21, 02:25 PM
AUPedla

I take it that this is on the new 303 Firecrest?
Yup on a Roadmachine, you can see why I need tan wall

Likes For AUPedla:
Old 03-09-21, 02:31 PM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Yup on a Roadmachine, you can see why I need tan wall
Counterpoint - while the stealth look may be going out, that bike is simply gorgeous.
Likes For ericcox:
Old 03-09-21, 03:05 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4769 Post(s)
Liked 7,738 Times in 3,658 Posts
What are the best options for 25mm tan wall TL tires? I'm coming up empty in my searches.
Old 03-09-21, 03:15 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Quoted: 1157 Post(s)
Liked 438 Times in 311 Posts
NoWhammies - thanks for your review of the Veloflex Corsa EVO TLR, 25mm. I was thinking about ordering these. Recently I placed an order with Veloflex but ordered the regular "open tubular" Corsa to be used with Vittoria latex tubes.

One tire that I have seen that I wondered if anyone has used is the Tufo Comtura 3TR tubeless ready tires. I had a good experience with some inexpensive tubed Tufo clincher tire (less than $25 each) that I got great mileage out of for an entire season. It might be worth a try since no one is talking about Tufo's tubeless offerings. I have seen a few USA sellers that seem to keep a decent inventory of these types of pro level tires that are not common USA brands where they sell them by the pair with free shipping for a fair price.
Update: after a quick bit of internet searching, I see that the TUFO Comtura is now on version 5TR.

Last edited by masi61; 03-09-21 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-09-21, 03:19 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3211 Post(s)
Liked 2,028 Times in 964 Posts
If you find a tan wall 28mm tubeless in any flavor not named Goodyear, LMK
Old 03-09-21, 03:43 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Eric F
What are the best options for 25mm tan wall TL tires? I'm coming up empty in my searches.
Originally Posted by phrantic09
There aren't many out there. Schwalbe has the Pro One TT in both 25mm and 28mm, but I'd be concerned about running them as a daily tire. Also, I seem to recall seeing complaints of sealant seeping/staining the sidewalls.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-09-21, 03:46 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4769 Post(s)
Liked 7,738 Times in 3,658 Posts
There aren't many out there. Schwalbe has the Pro One TT in both 25mm and 28mm, but I'd be concerned about running them as a daily tire. Also, I seem to recall seeing complaints of sealant seeping/staining the sidewalls.
Good info. Thanks. Since I only have one road bike (the horror!), a bit of durability is a consideration. I guess I'll stick with the GP5Ks I have until they need replacement (they're pretty new), and evaluate again at that time.
Old 03-09-21, 05:20 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 551 Times in 441 Posts
I'm running michelin tubeless 28mm on two bikes. They've been great so far. I set my air pressure by the recommendations of the zipp pressure calculator. When running pressures in the sixties, an accurate gauge is important. I replaced the gauge on my pump with a new liquid filled winters 0-100 psi model. My old gauge was reading 8 psi higher than actual.
I notice some people are putting a lot more pressure in the rear tire. The zipp calculator recommends 62 front and 64 rear for me.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 03-09-21, 05:27 PM
AUPedla

Originally Posted by DaveSSS
I'm running michelin tubeless 28mm on two bikes. They've been great so far. I set my air pressure by the recommendations of the zipp pressure calculator. When running pressures in the sixties, an accurate gauge is important. I replaced the gauge on my pump with a new liquid filled winters 0-100 psi model. My old gauge was reading 8 psi higher than actual.
I notice some people are putting a lot more pressure in the rear tire. The zipp calculator recommends 62 front and 64 rear for me.
Agreed, 62 rear and 58 front for me, which surprises some purists who say 100PSI for everything

I use the gauge on the pump to get to the correct approximate pressure, then trim it with a digital tyre pressure gauge.
Old 03-09-21, 05:32 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
they are out of stock, but I'd look for these.

https://www.bike24.com/p2402266.html?menu=1000,4,22,35
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 03-09-21, 05:42 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
Only 8 psi off? I found my "trusty" pump was tricking me by 15psi all these years. I am also now trimming with a digital gauge.

I don't understand that Zipp calculator on the front vs rear, if you look at the deformation you need more difference to equalize them. The calculator at psicalculator.com puts less in the front and more in the back relative to Zipp, and I am doing more of that recently as well.
Old 03-09-21, 06:19 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 551 Times in 441 Posts
Digital gauges can be just as inaccurate as an analog gauge. I got three new analog gauges connected to a common manifold to agree within 2psi, which made me confident in all three. A plus or minus 1.5 psi accuracy winters gauge is about $20 on Amazon. A plus or minus 1 psi gauge with a certificate of accuracy is about $130 at McMaster-Carr. The winters gauges are good enough for me.
Old 03-09-21, 06:29 PM
AUPedla

Digital gauges can be just as inaccurate as an analog gauge. I got three new analog gauges connected to a common manifold to agree within 2psi, which made me confident in all three. A plus or minus 1.5 psi accuracy winters gauge is about $20 on Amazon. A plus or minus 1 psi gauge with a certificate of accuracy is about $130 at McMaster-Carr. The winters gauges are good enough for me.
Agreed, the trick is to use the one gauge all the time, the pressure is then always relative to the same gauge. You also get used to what works for you +/- a few PSI. I use my digital gauge for 29x2.6 MTB tyres at 24PSI, all the way up to old school 700x23 at 100PSI.
Likes For AUPedla:
Old 03-10-21, 08:52 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 1,304 Times in 559 Posts
Agreed, the trick is to use the one gauge all the time, the pressure is then always relative to the same gauge. You also get used to what works for you +/- a few PSI. I use my digital gauge for 29x2.6 MTB tyres at 24PSI, all the way up to old school 700x23 at 100PSI.
This is always the answer. The number of threads not only on this forum but on Zwift forums, etc. about differences in power numbers, pressures, etc... is staggering. It could all go away if everyone took a small bit of time out of their day and took a quick lesson on how gauges and sensors actually work.

...not to mention people that put a pump on and off a tube to check pressure is a great example of the observation effect - changing a value simply through observing it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.