Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-21, 10:04 AM
Restrec

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Restrec
I have had to reduce my sexual activity substantially in order to be bike efficient Any suggestions. ?
What I mean is that if I eyaculate, the rest of the day I can not ride my bike at all, just rest and wait 24 hours to even think about it.I take zinc which helps you recover a little bit, but that's it, I'm grounded for the day.. I can not give up sex and I can not give up biking, whtat is the soloution ?
Old 02-27-21, 10:39 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I have had to reduce my sexual activity substantially in order to be bike efficient Any suggestions. ?
Yeah, do it the other way around. A happy wife is worth the world. Myself, I'm not sure that one affects the other IF one's saddle is the right one and in the correct position. My only issue with riding is occasional cramping, not on the bike.

I have read somewhere that a lot of hard exercise depresses sex hormones, but I haven't seen any studies of that. I do know that there is history of long distance riders experiencing ED due to perineal compression on the wrong saddle, but that was before modern slotted saddles appeared, and was in fact the reason for their development. I don't get a numbie, no matter how long the ride. It also helps to stand every 10 minutes or so.
Old 02-27-21, 10:48 AM
Restrec

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Yeah, do it the other way around. A happy wife is worth the world. Myself, I'm not sure that one affects the other IF one's saddle is the right one and in the correct position. My only issue with riding is occasional cramping, not on the bike.

I have read somewhere that a lot of hard exercise depresses sex hormones, but I haven't seen any studies of that. I do know that there is history of long distance riders experiencing ED due to perineal compression on the wrong saddle, but that was before modern slotted saddles appeared, and was in fact the reason for their development. I don't get a numbie, no matter how long the ride. It also helps to stand every 10 minutes or so.
Yea, you are right, I guess I'll keep both, of course the only way is alternating them and not riding to hard on the bike day. Thanks.
Old 02-27-21, 10:56 AM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC
, concerning sexual activity - try tilting your saddle down a bit more to prevent perineal injury.
However you wife may wonder if you've been reading some new books or something?
Old 03-01-21, 11:25 AM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
. I can not give up sex and I can not give up biking, whtat is the soloution ?
A tandem?
Old 03-01-21, 12:00 PM
Restrec

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tandem good with a condition !

Originally Posted by smoore
A tandem?
Seems like a good solution as long as the wife rides in front so I can check her pedaling and bike position and look at the landscape once in a while LOL
Old 03-02-21, 09:16 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Seems like a good solution as long as the wife rides in front so I can check her pedaling and bike position and look at the landscape once in a while LOL
Maybe-- personally though, I don't recommend sex on a bicycle... not saying there's anything wrong with that.
Old 03-02-21, 09:42 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
Sex prevents you from riding?
Either total bull hockey.
Or get to a doctor quickly, and accurately describe your problem.
He/She will either chuckle at you (unlikely) or start the search for a solution.
Or live with it.
The rest of us do.
Not every problem has an attractively acceptable solution.
I hesitate to say it - maybe just HTFU.
Old 03-03-21, 04:42 PM
Marquezdl
Old knees

Bikes: 2 custom steel Davidsons, one aluminum specialized

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Almost 71,

Almost 71 and I am burned out on my Rolhoff, my nexus 8, and my 1x9. I live most of the year at almost 7000 feet in Manizales Colombia. All my rides involve LOTS of vertical. Both ways. Downhill I just say thanks to the laws of Gravity. However uphill is another story. I have a 1x9 with a 32cw and 46 rear cog that allows me to get up the hills ( most of the time). However I have never forgotten how much I enjoyed riding a singlespeed for years (a flip flop with fixed/free). However I am pretty sure that wóuld lead to mostly just walking the bike uphill. My typical ride is a 12 mile out and back. Uphill all the way out with over 1500 vertical feet of climbing - the trip home is mostly just steering! But I have started thinking about a white bros. 2 speed freewheel with a Schlumpf bottom bracket. I think I could male that work, I just HATE derailleurs. Thats why one of my bikes is a nexus 8, and my tourong bike is a Rolhoff. I gave up the singlespeed at about 62 due to knee problems. However I have lost a a few pounds and am actually much fitter now, I think some kind of flip flop hub, with a 2 speed BB might actually work. I would still have to do some walking I think, but what the hell, be lots more interesting during the riding part.
anybody here experimented with such a setup?

Last edited by Marquezdl; 03-03-21 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Wanted to finish the post
Old 03-03-21, 08:43 PM
McBTC

Originally Posted by Marquezdl
Almost 71 and I am burned out on my Rolhoff, my nexus 8, and my 1x9. I live most of the year at almost 7000 feet in Manizales Colombia. All my rides involve LOTS of vertical. Both ways. Downhill I just say thanks to the laws of Gravity. However uphill is another story. I have a 1x9 with a 32cw and 46 rear cog that allows me to get up the hills ( most of the time). However I have never forgotten how much I enjoyed riding a singlespeed for years (a flip flop with fixed/free). However I am pretty sure that wóuld lead to mostly just walking the bike uphill. My typical ride is a 12 mile out and back. Uphill all the way out with over 1500 vertical feet of climbing - the trip home is mostly just steering! But I have started thinking about a white bros. 2 speed freewheel with a Schlumpf bottom bracket. I think I could male that work, I just HATE derailleurs. Thats why one of my bikes is a nexus 8, and my tourong bike is a Rolhoff. I gave up the singlespeed at about 62 due to knee problems. However I have lost a a few pounds and am actually much fitter now, I think some kind of flip flop hub, with a 2 speed BB might actually work. I would still have to do some walking I think, but what the hell, be lots more interesting during the riding part.
anybody here experimented with such a setup?
Same here, age and mileage but a compact with a 1:1, shortened crank and knee replacement but, limited now by an increasingly troublesome arthritic left hip and not sure if I have any further accommodations I can make other than a joint replacement without taking 3 Aleve a day...

Last edited by McBTC; 03-03-21 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-04-21, 08:17 AM
Marquezdl
Old knees

Bikes: 2 custom steel Davidsons, one aluminum specialized

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is one beautiful DeRosa. I had a late 80’s DeRosa set up as a fixie, then a singlespeed for about 20 years. Never had a set of those spectacular Delta’s though!
Old 03-07-21, 06:50 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
What I mean is that if I eyaculate, the rest of the day I can not ride my bike at all, just rest and wait 24 hours to even think about it.I take zinc which helps you recover a little bit, but that's it, I'm grounded for the day.. I can not give up sex and I can not give up biking, whtat is the soloution ?
I got a prescription for a testosterone replacement cream. You should get your blood T level checked periodically if you get this, but it was life changing (or saving) for me. 68 yrs old.
Old 03-07-21, 07:27 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
That is odd indeed. You need to see an endocrinologist. There are many different hormones involved in love and sex - it's really complicated, as if you didn't know that: https://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2...companionship/
Old 03-22-21, 07:48 AM
McBTC

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
That is odd indeed. You need to see an endocrinologist. There are many different hormones involved in love and sex - it's really complicated, as if you didn't know that: https://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2...companionship/
Or... just take a little magnesium?
Old 03-31-21, 01:53 PM
Irishred

Bikes: Tour Easy; Salsa Marrakesh

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 14 Posts
Sex/bike

A guy once told me that riding a bike is better than having sex.
I told him- either you don't know how to have sex, or I don't know how to ride a bike (:
Likes For Irishred:
Old 03-31-21, 05:20 PM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Irishred
A guy once told me that riding a bike is better than having sex.
I told him- either you don't know how to have sex, or I don't know how to ride a bike (:
Likes For Ballenxj:
Old 04-03-21, 04:38 PM
drr timberline

Bikes: 2006 GT Timberline LTD Ladies Frame, 2005 GT Timberline LTD Mens Frame, Schwinn Signature Streamliner 2 Step Thru

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
So how hard can it be to understand?

"You must be 65 + to post on this thread." In other words, "NO BABY BOOMERS ALLOWED"
I think i'm a baby boomer. Born in '53, makes me 68. Am I ok?
Old 04-04-21, 11:52 AM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
The boom is defined as 1946-1964. People born during 5/9 of the boom years qualify for this thread. I believe more kids were born during the early part of the boom, so my bet is that a majority of boomers qualify.
Old 04-04-21, 04:28 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
Originally Posted by drr timberline
Oh no! I was born in 54 so I must be a real interloper. So what pre-dated boomers? America’s greatest generation? If so, with gen X,Y, Z we are running out of letters.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 04-04-21, 05:13 PM
aRoudy1

Bikes: Rans Stratus LE, Terra Trike Sport

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Oh no! I was born in 54 so I must be a real interloper. So what pre-dated boomers? America’s greatest generation? If so, with gen X,Y, Z we are running out of letters.
Pre-boomer generation is known as the Silent Generation--which is why you don't hear much from us!
Old 04-05-21, 08:50 PM
McBTC

Originally Posted by aRoudy1
Pre-boomer generation is known as the Silent Generation--which is why you don't hear much from us!
​​​​​​
65 and older means, Generation Jones is moving in...
Old 04-05-21, 09:09 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
So how hard can it be to understand?

"You must be 65 + to post on this thread." In other words, "NO BABY BOOMERS ALLOWED"

Originally Posted by drr timberline
Just a quick note that back in 2008 when Retro Grouch wrote that, baby boomers were not yet 65.

Sorry for the interloping, may be back in a couple of years.

-mr. bill
Old 04-06-21, 02:20 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
How long ago WAS 2008? It seems like only a couple of years ago....
Old 04-07-21, 08:51 AM
dr1445

Bikes: jamis 2002 komodo, univega aplina uno, miele toscana 300, 1972 puch brigadier, Marin Sausalito

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts

hi; had bad knees for years, reduced my riding in 2018 to 5 miles, right knee surgery 2019, down to 3 miles maybe 3 -4 times week, 2020 left knee surgery, same old story. in jan and feb 21 [@76 hard to face the cold!]. i tried some 5mile runs, which resulted in knee flareups lasting a week. meanwhile i put together a 1x10 from a miele toscana frame i had hanging on the wall. previously i was running 3x9 mtb gears to keep the knee load low. 36 upfront 11-40 in the rear, i am still working on the gearing, i have a 11-36 coming and may try a 38 upfront as i seem to be over geared for uphills and under geared for downhills. put the bike together with china parts, runs well for the moment. how long the components or i last on a bike is debatable. just did a 5 mile run, now wait and see what the knees say.
Likes For dr1445:
Old 04-08-21, 03:47 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by zonatandem
Dave: Skip the trike . . . get a tandem; you can't loose her in traffic and she does not have to steer, shift, brake . . . just pedal and pinch your bunz if you misbehave!
How about a tandem trike???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.