Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Show us your tandem!

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Show us your tandem!

Old 04-04-21, 07:57 PM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 186 Posts
Not kitted out yet as this is just as I got it today: but pretty stoked:

Likes For jetboy:
Old 04-05-21, 04:27 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked 4,526 Times in 1,743 Posts
Late eighties' Vittorio Populair. Ordered new by the previous owners, who happen to have our exact measurements. I rebuilt it with slightly older parts, so it would qualify for C&V events. Braking is now mediocre at best, so we've become quite adept at yelling at people to get out of the way.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 04-05-21, 09:51 PM
jetboy 

nice one. the PO on my dawes added a drum brake to the rear- in addition to the rim brake. I suppose it helps? still getting used to it. Nice bike, my daughter would appreciate the the angled top tube on the stocker.

her main complaint so far is getting on and off with that high tube.
Old 04-08-21, 12:49 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked 4,526 Times in 1,743 Posts
Originally Posted by jetboy
nice one. the PO on my dawes added a drum brake to the rear- in addition to the rim brake. I suppose it helps? still getting used to it. Nice bike, my daughter would appreciate the the angled top tube on the stocker.

her main complaint so far is getting on and off with that high tube.
Thank you. The rear hub has NDS threads for an Arai shoe plate brake, but I haven't been able to find one yet at a reasonable price. I'll keep yelling for now. "Coming through!!!"

This is the man/woman version. There was a man/man version with horizontal top tubes as well. Some things were easier in those pre-PC times ...

Old 04-08-21, 05:18 PM
jetboy 

Originally Posted by non-fixie
Thank you. The rear hub has NDS threads for an Arai shoe plate brake, but I haven't been able to find one yet at a reasonable price. I'll keep yelling for now. "Coming through!!!"

This is the man/woman version. There was a man/man version with horizontal top tubes as well. Some things were easier in those pre-PC times ...
seems I was lucky the PO already did that work and sourced the brake and spent the $ (though probably cheaper then what see the rate at now! yowza!). seems in good shape, and I hear they last forever. Not taken it apart yet (found the rock the boat method and the large spanner method but not tried either. seems to be working though.. )

With COVID- around here has been tough so its been pretty fun to have that time with my daughter just out tooling about together. and having to cooperate and all. She is getting into it which is nice . just make her do the work sometimes!

here is brake side:

Likes For jetboy:
Old 04-08-21, 05:28 PM
James1964 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 95 Posts
1978 Gitane Audax 1716 tandem

Likes For James1964:
Old 04-12-21, 04:07 AM
fitlerbend

Bikes: TREK Stache 5, 2013 Cannonade Carbon 1, DaVinci In2Ition tandem, RANS Screamer, Giant Expressway 1, 1975 Crescent Mark XX, Tern Link 7, Montague Paratrooper, Raleigh Talus 29, Trek LIFT, Novara Randonee, Specialized Fatboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
DaVinci Tailwind

We received this tandem on 4/8/21. We are still doing some final adjustments and fitting out. We ordered this directly from DaVinci - steel frame and fork with S&S couplers, 26" wheels, Jones Loop bars. Motor is Shimano 8000. It has the traditional DaVinci Independent Drive with modifications for the e-drive.
Likes For fitlerbend:
Old 04-12-21, 08:20 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 945 Times in 552 Posts
Originally Posted by fitlerbend

We received this tandem on 4/8/21. We are still doing some final adjustments and fitting out. We ordered this directly from DaVinci - steel frame and fork with S&S couplers, 26" wheels, Jones Loop bars. Motor is Shimano 8000. It has the traditional DaVinci Independent Drive with modifications for the e-drive.
I wonder I have a tandem with a bosch drive but a more normal rear setup. it lets my wife peddle while I don't/ but it also lets her over peddle and that can cause issues. we have worked it out mostly. so I take it this setup eliminates that? like if we start in a higher assist level to get going fast it can pop the chain off in back.
Old 04-13-21, 04:13 AM
fitlerbend

Bikes: TREK Stache 5, 2013 Cannonade Carbon 1, DaVinci In2Ition tandem, RANS Screamer, Giant Expressway 1, 1975 Crescent Mark XX, Tern Link 7, Montague Paratrooper, Raleigh Talus 29, Trek LIFT, Novara Randonee, Specialized Fatboy

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
Out of habit developed from riding a solo e-bike for two years and in consideration of battery charge life, I don't kick in e-power until we are rolling. Also, with the independent drive (pedal power) I don't thinks we would put as much strain on the drive chain as synchronized cranks. The front drive would put more strain on the timing chain than a rear power drive. We have not ridden this bike enough to test battery charge life, but I keep in mind that higher pedal rpm increases battery charge life.
Old 04-14-21, 08:08 AM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 945 Times in 552 Posts
Originally Posted by fitlerbend
Out of habit developed from riding a solo e-bike for two years and in consideration of battery charge life, I don't kick in e-power until we are rolling. Also, with the independent drive (pedal power) I don't thinks we would put as much strain on the drive chain as synchronized cranks. The front drive would put more strain on the timing chain than a rear power drive. We have not ridden this bike enough to test battery charge life, but I keep in mind that higher pedal rpm increases battery charge life.
I have way to many years riding by myself and my wife had way to many years of not riding at all. we get around 35 or so miles on our bosch battery if we can keep the cruising speed to about 18.5 or so the motor is not doing much. our bike was more of a cruiser bike we changed over to a more regular bike. so 2" tires slow us down a bit but good when we go on trails and such. but I usually crank top the assist going up hills to speed them again.
Old 04-15-21, 08:19 PM
MRacing

Bikes: Calfee Dragonfly, Comotion Java, Time, Cervelo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Travel and Allroad tandem. Ready to go.
Old 04-19-21, 07:15 AM
rocknrollin

Bikes: PlanetX Tempest, Santana Fusion, Santana Arriva

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MRacing
Travel and Allroad tandem. Ready to go.
Beautiful!
Which fork is that? I have not seen that model before.
And what's the total weight?
Old 04-19-21, 09:08 AM
preventec47

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 28 Posts
Italian Compact Tandem

https://www.mtbici.it/en/bicycles/sp...peedcross.html

In practice I dont know how well it rides or performs but I sure would like to find out. If the best components and frame materials
were used, I think this two seater bike could be amazingly lightweight. AND Compact.

TANDEM COMPACT CROSS | SpeedCross
Likes For preventec47:
Old 04-19-21, 11:16 AM
MRacing

Bikes: Calfee Dragonfly, Comotion Java, Time, Cervelo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rocknrollin
Beautiful!
Which fork is that? I have not seen that model before.
And what's the total weight?
It is a gravel fork from Enve, we’ve had a similar one on our Calfee for the last 7 years that has worked great. We were waiting for a Colab fork but their delivery is delayed into the unknown. Bike weight depending on wheels hovers just under/over 30lbs ready to ride with pedals etc.
Likes For MRacing:
Old 04-20-21, 04:44 PM
jetboy 

Originally Posted by preventec47
https://www.mtbici.it/en/bicycles/sp...peedcross.html

In practice I dont know how well it rides or performs but I sure would like to find out. If the best components and frame materials
were used, I think this two seater bike could be amazingly lightweight. AND Compact.

TANDEM COMPACT CROSS | SpeedCross
that is very cool if it works.
Old 04-26-21, 09:08 AM
twocicle
Clipless in Coeur d'Alene

Bikes: Tandems: Calfee Dragonfly S&S, Ventana ECDM mtb; Singles: Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, etal.

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by MRacing
It is a gravel fork from Enve, we’ve had a similar one on our Calfee for the last 7 years that has worked great. We were waiting for a Colab fork but their delivery is delayed into the unknown. Bike weight depending on wheels hovers just under/over 30lbs ready to ride with pedals etc.
Simple FYI for others to find info about the OP tandem ... https://binghambuiltbikes.com/portfolio-items/tandem/
Old 04-30-21, 05:31 PM
antmaster5000

Bikes: BMC TeamMachine, Surly Pacer, All City Big Block

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 30 Posts

Gary Fisher Gemini. Just had the bottom brackets serviced, replaced some cables/housing, new tires, and some pink cockpits. Excited to start putting in the miles

Last edited by antmaster5000; 04-30-21 at 05:41 PM.
Old 05-22-21, 08:27 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1645 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by preventec47
In practice I don't know...amazingly lightweight. AND Compact.
That's a 'donkey-back'. The design is maybe 125 years old.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_da-o.html#donkeyback
Old 05-23-21, 01:07 PM
Msteven 

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
CoMo Mocha

Our CoMo Mocha was supposed to be a rolling experiment with Hydro Brakes, Di2 3x and wide range gears, tubeless 650bx47 wheels and our old burley Bob Trailer. She is not pristine...but sturdy and reliable adventure machine.
Di2 upgrades...all external cables
Brake upgrades...hydro 4 piston calipers and Magura floating rotors
Big gear range 52-39-30 + 11x42
Dents, Dings, cable rub and scratches...art imitates life I suppose.

Old 05-31-21, 11:34 PM
bazil4696
Bike Doctor

Bikes: Norco Cape Cod tandem, KHS Tandemania Cross, 1952 Claud Butler ladyback tandem, 1971 & '73 Raleigh Suberbes, 1985 Gazelle Sport Solide, 1985 Rossi professional

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 24 Posts
1952 Claud Butler Tandem

Recently acquired Claud Butler ladyback Tandem. All the goodies from post-war cycling are still intact. Resilion brakes, Cyclo three speed derailleur, Solite hubs & 26 x 1 1/4 Dunlop rims, Williams cranks. Reynolds 531 fillet brazed craftsmanship.

Last edited by bazil4696; 05-31-21 at 11:39 PM.
Likes For bazil4696:
Old 06-01-21, 02:26 PM
SWG

Bikes: Binachi Brava (?) Burley Duet Pashley Picador Plus

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
bazil that's a sweet bike. I noticed it for sale recently when I was looking on the local classified pages, I ended up finding a Burley tandem in Toronto, around the same time as that was for sale.
Likes For SWG:
Old 06-01-21, 03:06 PM
SWG

Bikes: Binachi Brava (?) Burley Duet Pashley Picador Plus

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by samkl
Our 1987? Burley Duet. We made a post late last year on Tandem@Hobbes asking if anyone had a cheap tandem fixer-upper...
[snip]
Awesome story and your bike looks great. (I am new and can't post or quote your photos)

Can you describe the control you have for the rear drum brake? It's *sort of* visible in the photos but not clearly. I have Burley Duet, recently acquired, and it has the brake in what seems to be good condition, but no control for it. Also, what is the stem you have on the stroker's seat.
Old 06-03-21, 09:59 AM
bazil4696
Bike Doctor

Bikes: Norco Cape Cod tandem, KHS Tandemania Cross, 1952 Claud Butler ladyback tandem, 1971 & '73 Raleigh Suberbes, 1985 Gazelle Sport Solide, 1985 Rossi professional

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by SWG
bazil that's a sweet bike. I noticed it for sale recently when I was looking on the local classified pages, I ended up finding a Burley tandem in Toronto, around the same time as that was for sale.
It turned out to be very original, with all it's goodies still intact. As a project, there's a few quirks im working through, I've posted some pics in "for the love of English three speeds" forum on my brake cable fabrication process. I'll sort out new cables, then rebuild the cranks, hubs and head tube bearings.
Old 06-03-21, 11:24 AM
CABELLOJO

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 25 Posts
1998 Cannondale MT1000 Tandem Hybrid

1998 Cannondale MT1000 Tandem Hybrid
Old 06-04-21, 12:19 AM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by SWG
Awesome story and your bike looks great. (I am new and can't post or quote your photos)

Can you describe the control you have for the rear drum brake? It's *sort of* visible in the photos but not clearly. I have Burley Duet, recently acquired, and it has the brake in what seems to be good condition, but no control for it. Also, what is the stem you have on the stroker's seat.
Thanks!

The stem is the original Burley stoker stem, which came painted to match. We have the drum brake connected to a cheap old friction shifter shifter that I clamped to the captain's stem. A little awkward at first but you get used to it. We thought about putting it on the stoker's bars but the cable routing on the frame is designed for captain control.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.