Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your favorite road tubeless tires

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Your favorite road tubeless tires

Old 03-10-21, 09:08 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
If you find a tan wall 28mm tubeless in any flavor not named Goodyear, LMK
VeloFlex has tan walls in 28: https://www.veloflex.it/en/tubeless-ready

Originally Posted by masi61
NoWhammies - thanks for your review of the Veloflex Corsa EVO TLR, 25mm. I was thinking about ordering these. Recently I placed an order with Veloflex but ordered the regular "open tubular" Corsa to be used with Vittoria latex tubes.
A quick Google search brought up the review I mentioned in my comment/review about the tyres: https://road.cc/content/review/velof...lr-tyre-276555

Just to reiterate the tyres are good and I do recommend them. Chances are I'll end up purchasing another set in 28mm. Fingers crossed the mounting problems have been sovled.
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 03-10-21, 04:50 PM
Princess_Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
There aren't many out there. Schwalbe has the Pro One TT in both 25mm and 28mm, but I'd be concerned about running them as a daily tire. Also, I seem to recall seeing complaints of sealant seeping/staining the sidewalls.
Is this also a thing on the regular Pro One Addix? On my ride last weekend, I thought I heard sealant spraying from my rear tire, but I didn't feel any loss in pressure. I continued my ride and didn't notice anything wrong with my rear. After I got home, I discovered dried up sealant on the seat tube, but there was no puncture or slash in the tire. I wiped the tire down, in search of the puncture, but there's nothing to be seen. Is it possible that the sealant sprayed from the sidewall under flex? Man, there is just no winning with any bicycle tire. I have the 28mm version mounted to Aeolus Pro 37 wheels (using Bontrager rim strips). I have my rear pumped up to 70psi and weigh 165lbs.
Old 03-10-21, 05:13 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,435 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Princess_Allez
Is this also a thing on the regular Pro One Addix? On my ride last weekend, I thought I heard sealant spraying from my rear tire, but I didn't feel any loss in pressure. I continued my ride and didn't notice anything wrong with my rear. After I got home, I discovered dried up sealant on the seat tube, but there was no puncture or slash in the tire. I wiped the tire down, in search of the puncture, but there's nothing to be seen. Is it possible that the sealant sprayed from the sidewall under flex? Man, there is just no winning with any bicycle tire. I have the 28mm version mounted to Aeolus Pro 37 wheels (using Bontrager rim strips). I have my rear pumped up to 70psi and weigh 165lbs.
I'm not talking about spraying - just staining from coating/sealing the sidewall and some minor beading from seepage coming through.

But no, I haven't experienced any kind of seepage with the POA. In your case, I would guess that you're just not seeing the puncture site, which wouldn't be that unusual. I've had a number of rides where I didn't see or hear anything, but found tell-tale spray on the frame. Heck, if you want a demonstration of how effective your sealant has been, possibly without you knowing it, at the end of your tire's life span, peel the skin off of the inside of the carcass and try to re-mount it. I've done that and have been surprised at the number of hissing punctures.
Old 03-11-21, 02:38 PM
Princess_Allez

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
I've experienced the staining issue on the previous model. You're probably right. There must be some pinhole-sized puncture where it sprayed from... the glory of using road tubeless
Old 03-14-21, 09:57 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Taken me a while to get some time to report on this post. So much of what I would have wanted to say has already been said so I'll just list a few for me along with time last used since some may have been a few years back. All tires were between 24-26mm I still haven't gotten on the 28mm train.

Bontrager R3 TLR in 25mm. These were my first tubeless tires, started using them when introduced maybe later 2013 or 2014? They were easy to mount and rolled really well. I actually used them for quite a while, interchanging them with others that were new to market. For some reason I don't seem to get as much life out of my tires than most of you. These would last an average of 1600 miles which I was happy about. Sadly, and like someone else mentioned, the big bike companies may not get enough props for their tires, probably because they're so persinicki with pricing. I don't know if they're still making these in this size but they were a great all around tire at time

Specialized Turbo S TLR in 26mm. I think that was the model. Got them about a year and a half ago I believe. Easy to mount, very supple, I really liked the ride on these. The rear tire lasted about 1300 miles before squaring off a fair bit when I removed them for use as back ups. I actually just mounted them to my vintage bike (modern wheels tubeless though). I have noticed after remounting that I lose air faster than usual. I think though I may have gotten bored and pulled a Whyfi peeling back dried sealant.

Hutchison Fusion 4 I think. Tried these but much older model, probably around 2014, hated them. Heavy, even for the time, rolled like bricks. One of the first times I've been able to say that I could actually feel a tangible difference in ride qualities. They were also incredibly hard to mount. Sadly my experience turned me off of Hutchison and I've not tried any of their tires since.

Vittoria Corsa Super G in 25mm. Bought these probably a year and a half ago, I saw all the weight info, mixed reviews, etc. and wanted to give them a shot. They were a good price and the moment I received them I knew that they wouldn't last. Insanely light, amazing ride, really, really loved them except of course the durability. To be fair, durability was listed as a definitive "con" for these tires and I still went ahead and got them for every day use. They started giving me grief with slashes and such within 600 miles and shortly retired. I would not hesitate to recommend but buyer beware you'll go through them quickly if you have rough roads. They were quite easy to put on and seat with my cannister pump.

Schwalbe Pro One in both initial and recent formats. Easiest tire by far to mount, but both sets required a trip to the LBS to use their compressor to get seated vs. my pump. I liked price, quality, ride characteristics. each set lasted me around 1300 miles before squaring off on rear or wearing down to uncomfortable levels. I do tend to change tires earlier than I need to though. These are still on my best recommend and I will buy them again in current variations I'm sure as my LBS gets them

Continental GP5k, I received some of the first sets in the US and also have a newer one installed on the SV right now. I keep getting sucked into these beasts, probably because I'm one of the few people in the Desert regularly riding Tubeless so my favorite LBS keeps bringing them in. Thankfully I've gotten a few of my ride friends onto them now lol. Easily the hardest most frustrating tire I've ever had the fortune of installing but heck at least they seat instantly! I really like the comfort and ride quality, they last the longest of all my tires as well. My first set would throw cords off all the time, I was cutting, burning, etc. was really annoying. LBS offered to replace but I was able to use them until they wore out so I didn't bother. Definitely a love/hate relationship erring on the love side but I do want to try some new tires soon.

Looking forward to trying some of the tires mentioned on this thread!

Last edited by robbyville; 03-14-21 at 11:39 AM.
Likes For robbyville:
Old 03-17-21, 06:41 AM
WhyFi

So, I've already complained about Schwalbe's handling of their naming, and the confusion that has come with it... I think they're at it again? But I'm not sure... Regardless, there is a Pro One flavor that has trickled out there with "transparent" sidewalls and "Super Race" nomenclature, something that I haven't seen before. Some sellers are denoting "2021" as opposed to the "2020" that we've been seeing on the Pro One Evo Addix, but info from Schwalbe is frustratingly absent, so I'm not sure on the difference, if any, between these and the POEA that some of us have already ridden and discussed. Ugh.

Here's Schwalbe's chart, note both the color and "Super Race" under the Performance column - https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_t..._tires/pro-one

And here's a pic that I found online with the corresponding Schwalbe part number for the 28mm - the color looks better than the aggressive/cheap/gaudy yellow/orange of some of their recent "tan" sidewall tires.

I've already got too many tires on-hand, so someone else that's been looking for tan sidewalls needs to track down a pair and report back. *ahem* phrantic09 AUPedla Eric F

Last edited by WhyFi; 03-17-21 at 07:01 AM.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-17-21, 07:12 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3211 Post(s)
Liked 2,028 Times in 964 Posts
So, I've already complained about Schwalbe's handling of their naming, and the confusion that has come with it... I think they're at it again? But I'm not sure... Regardless, there is a Pro One flavor that has trickled out there with "transparent" sidewalls and "Super Race" nomenclature, something that I haven't seen before. Some sellers are denoting "2021" as opposed to the "2020" that we've been seeing on the Pro One Evo Addix, but info from Schwalbe is frustratingly absent, so I'm not sure on the difference, if any, between these and the POEA that some of us have already ridden and discussed. Ugh.

Here's Schwalbe's chart, note both the color and "Super Race" under the Performance column - https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_t..._tires/pro-one

And here's a pic that I found online with the corresponding Schwalbe part number for the 28mm - the color looks better than the aggressive/cheap/gaudy yellow/orange of some of their recent "tan" sidewall tires.

I've already got too many tires on-hand, so someone else that's been looking for tan sidewalls needs to track down a pair and report back. *ahem* phrantic09 AUPedla Eric F
I've decided tan walls may not look good on an orange bike
Old 03-17-21, 08:05 AM
WhyFi

I've decided tan walls may not look good on an orange bike
Booo! Hissss! Who else is going to be our guinea pig volunteer?
Old 03-17-21, 08:34 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,484 Times in 541 Posts

The picture of the tire tread pattern and packaging look identical to what I purchased as a Pro one Evo. I certainly agree about the confusion in regards to product names. you get various names on the Schwalbe page and then different names or no names when you look at a retailer. Hard to know what you're buying.

In any case, I got mine from Chain Reaction last November and at that time there was no tan wall option that I recall. I would have ordered them if there was.

I do like the tires pretty well but these are my first tubeless tires so nothing to compare to.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 03-17-21, 08:34 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

I'll consider it. Tan walls may look okay
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 03-17-21, 08:46 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

For what it's worth - they're available here in a 30:

https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/schwalb...rd/137898853/p
Old 03-17-21, 08:48 AM
robbyville

I’m game. Not sure how tan sidewalls will look on the SV but if it’s horrid I’ll just put them on the vintage DeRosa.

Where have you found these available, I’d be doing 25mm

Last edited by robbyville; 03-17-21 at 08:56 AM.
Old 03-17-21, 08:49 AM
WhyFi

I'll consider it. Tan walls may look okay
I've recently begun to wonder if disc brakes are at least partially responsible for the increased interest in tan/gumwalls.

With shiny brake tracks, gumwalls can look kind of busy with all of those concentric circles/colors, and don't really dig the look. Conversely, with discs bikes that don't have a gleaming brake track, black tires on black rims can look kind of boring and monolithic, so I think that the gumwalls adds a little visual interest.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-17-21, 08:53 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by robbyville
I’m game. Not sure how tan sidewalls will look on the SV but if it’s horrid I’ll just put them in the vintage DeRosa.

where have you found these available?
With my mini-stockpile, I haven't even looked, but I'd search by the item number -

11654217 for the 28mm
11654236 for the 25mm

I have to assume that they're pretty scarce - I certainly haven't seen them at any of the places where I get tires and there's been no official announcement from Schwalbe (that I've seen, at least).
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-17-21, 09:03 AM
robbyville

With my mini-stockpile, I haven't even looked, but I'd search by the item number -

11654217 for the 28mm
11654236 for the 25mm

I have to assume that they're pretty scarce - I certainly haven't seen them at any of the places where I get tires and there's been no official announcement from Schwalbe (that I've seen, at least).
yup first checks seem to show out on transparent which appears to be same as skin or tan. Even on their US website
Old 03-17-21, 09:05 AM
robbyville

11654217 for the 28mm
11654236 for the 25mm

I do need to get a set of tires relatively soon either way. The ones I have in the DeRosa are old Specialized pretty beat up. I don’t ride it much mostly every other week and then on monthly vintage group ride so will rotate the tires from the SV to it. What do you suggest from your recent arsenal that I haven’t tried yet?
Old 03-17-21, 09:15 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by robbyville
I do need to get a set of tires relatively soon either way. The ones I have in the DeRosa are old Specialized pretty beat up. I don’t ride it much mostly every other week and then on monthly vintage group ride so will rotate the tires from the SV to it. What do you suggest from your recent arsenal that I haven’t tried yet?
The Pro One Evo Addix are my favorite overall, so far. The Michelin Power Road that I have on right now are also good, but I've only got ~200 miles on them. They seem a little less supple/comfy than the POEA, but I haven't had too much of a chance to play with pressure, yet. I have an feeling that they might be a little better in terms of durability and tread life, but we'll see.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-17-21, 09:29 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4769 Post(s)
Liked 7,739 Times in 3,658 Posts
I've recently begun to wonder if disc brakes are at least partially responsible for the increased interest in tan/gumwalls.

With shiny brake tracks, gumwalls can look kind of busy with all of those concentric circles/colors, and don't really dig the look. Conversely, with discs bikes that don't have a gleaming brake track, black tires on black rims can look kind of boring and monolithic, so I think that the gumwalls adds a little visual interest.
I tend to agree. My rim-brake Enve wheels are all carbon, and have that all-black look. I'm thinking gumwalls might look pretty sharp on my blue Storck.

Last edited by Eric F; 03-17-21 at 03:29 PM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 03-18-21, 09:24 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
The Pro One Evo Addix are my favorite overall, so far. The Michelin Power Road that I have on right now are also good, but I've only got ~200 miles on them. They seem a little less supple/comfy than the POEA, but I haven't had too much of a chance to play with pressure, yet. I have an feeling that they might be a little better in terms of durability and tread life, but we'll see.
I received a discount code for PBK so I went to the website to purchase a set of the Michelin's, even though I just purchased as set of 28mm VeloFlex Corsa EVO's. Low and behold the Michelin's are sold out! Snooze ya loose. I'll be keeping my eye out for WhyFi review since I can't make any plans/decisions myself. Looks like they are a popular tyre.
Old 03-18-21, 10:44 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by NoWhammies
I received a discount code for PBK so I went to the website to purchase a set of the Michelin's, even though I just purchased as set of 28mm VeloFlex Corsa EVO's. Low and behold the Michelin's are sold out! Snooze ya loose. I'll be keeping my eye out for WhyFi review since I can't make any plans/decisions myself. Looks like they are a popular tyre.
What would they have come out to with the discount, shipping and tax? When I bought mine, Lordgun was still less expensive, even with a PBK discount. Lordgun currently has 25s and 28s in stock, just a hair under $50 each; shipping for me has been in the $22-25 area.
Old 03-18-21, 10:46 AM
WhyFi

In other Lordgun news, the new Pro One Evo Addix with Transparent Skin popped up, but currently only in 30mm - https://www.lordgun.com/schwalbe-pro...sparent%20skin. If I were a bettin' man, I'd say that some 25s and 28s will show up shortly.
Old 03-18-21, 11:03 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by scottfsmith
Specialized S-Works Turbo Rapidair 30mm
Just bringing these up since nobody else has. These are the only road tubeless I have run but I am very impressed with their suppleness, speed, and cornering. They are so easy to mount for me that I can do it with my tiny 6" hand pump.

Their main disadvantages seem to be that they are part of a large bike company and not a tire company so they get no respect, and they have the stupidest naming system which just tacks words on to previous models. These ones are their newer top of the line tubeless tires, "Rapidair" is the keyword for that I think.
+1 to these.

The Spesh Turbo Cottons are my current alll-time favorite tire and the RapidAirs are also my favorite tubeless options at present. Spesh seems to be nailing it with tires.

Also - Panaracer Gravelking Slick 700x35s. They mount out to a plump 37mm on a 19c rim, but are oh-so-nice to ride. Have gotten a pair of 700x32s to replace the Schwalbe Ones I am running, which i loathe.
Old 04-08-21, 03:48 PM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
Thought I'd resurrect this. Last weekend, I got a pretty deep cut on my front gp5000. my fault - I ride some pretty terrible roads, and happily incorporate light gravel roads. I can probably pinpoint the pothole that did it. While it is holding air, the split is growing and I can see the cords. Based on some of the recommendations above, I ordered some Pirellis. I just mounted a Pirelli on the front. The only reason I'm posting now is to note that while the continentals caused me to utter a great deal of profanity and end up at my LBS to mount tires for the first time in more than 20 years, the Pirellis popped right on. Super easy to mount. Even popped the bead on with my regular floor pump.

The only issue is I'm too cheap to change the back tire that only has ~1000 miles on it, so I have mismatched tires. But you can't see that when you're moving :-)
Likes For ericcox:
Old 04-13-21, 07:44 AM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 95 Posts
Schwalbe One 25mm (non-addix)- first set of tubeless tires I bought and mounted back in 2018 on Reynolds Aero 58s. Surprisingly, the process of seating the tubeless tires wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be. Back then, I didn't have a burst pump and my Milwaukee M12 portable inflator was strong enough to seat the tires onto the wheels. On the road, the tires seem to ride just as fast as my previous Schwalbe 1 Evo clinchers and Ultremo tubulars I had. It definitely had an edge in comfort as it gave my bike a more supple ride. I sold this wheelset to a friend last year and had close to 1500 miles on it. I didn't have any flats and just recently, my friend just upgraded to new tires after he put another 700-800 miles on it.

Panaracer GK TLC 32mm and 38mm- For my SBC all-road, I went with the 38s. For a wide road tire such as this, comfort is expected and its very obvious. Such an extremely comfortable ride (50 psi / 55 psi tubeless) but also a surprisingly nice, smooth rolling tire that doesn't feel like I'm riding on 38s. Mounted and seated easily on the Alex RXD6 wheelset. Closing in on about 700 miles and the tread still looks great. I'm hoping to finally hit some gravel, light trails and see how the SBC and GKs perform.
When I first built up my Lynskey Helix, I went with the GK 32s (60 psi / 65 psi) since I was already impressed with the 38s. No problems mounting and seating these tires on the Reynolds AR58/62 wheelset. Same results as the 38s; comfortable, smooth rolling and fit the Helix (max 32c tire) with room to spare as the GK tires are known to be wider than advertised. I keep saying this but when pushing out off the saddle, the Helix feels too behaved. With the 32s, I found myself looking down more often at the Karoo2 to see if I was moving slower than usual even though I'm wasn't. Although it made the bike ride more comfortable, sometimes I felt it made it feel a bit more muted for my liking.

Schwalbe Pro One Addix 30mm TLE- A couple weeks ago, I swapped out the GK 32s on the Helix for the Pro One Addix 30s (65 psi / 70 psi). As a long time user of Schwalbe tires, I eventually had to go and get these tires for the Helix. These are definitely faster tires than the GKs which was expected and seems to grip really well. While these mounted easily onto the Reynolds AR58/62, I had some trouble seating the tires onto the wheels. I don't know if my Milwaukee M12 inflator has seen better days but these tires just wouldn't seat until I added some sealant and then it was good to go. To date, I've got a bit over 400 miles on them and pressure seems to be holding up fine.
Old 04-13-21, 07:47 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 950 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 421 Posts
Schwalbe Pro One! Very easy to mount tubeless (could have done it without a compressor), and I am please with how they perform. They are also very silent.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.