Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Totally Tubular

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Totally Tubular

Old 04-25-21, 01:57 PM
Bikejock200M

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Fmb nos

I purchased a pair of these as well, actually have a second set on order. These are definitely FMB made tubulars. The treads are sourced from Thailand. I got the first pair because I liked the "patina" of the sidewalls. They are going to look great on my 76 Motobecane Champion Team. There is a bit of a blip around the valve stem, but over all these look great. And the coating on the base tape looks like a continuation of the sidewall latex. Glad you like the feel of them, looking forward to trying them myself. Enjoy!

I noticed when I set them up that a) they say "Made in Thailand," so definitely training tubies (cotton casing) and b) the base tapes were stamped "May 2011," so oldish NOS. They looked sorta like they had a coating on the base tape, but there was no indication they'd been mounted before (no dimples from eyelets, for example). They ride nice, as good as my Veloflex Vlaanderen I think.[/QUOTE]
Old 04-25-21, 04:47 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked 1,386 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikejock200M
There is a bit of a blip around the valve stem ...
In Gerd Schraner's book, The Art of Wheelbuilding he writes about having to countersink the valve stem holes on most rims. That might be something to try to improve "hop."
Old 04-29-21, 09:50 AM
smontanaro 

In case anyone is looking for cheap, old spare tubulars, I just posted some to the for sale subforum.
Old 05-04-21, 03:37 PM
smontanaro 

More on my tubular adventure... I think two of the tires I wound up with were new, some Continental Competitions.

They have tubular tape on them but it was only partially covered and who knows how long it had been there. As I don't use tape, I decided to remove it. I wasn't sure how to go about that, but decided to try some rubbing alcohol and scraping with the blade of a utility knife. It's slow going, but seems to be working, and the rubbing alcohol doesn't seem to be affecting the adherence of the base tape. (While the tape looks like reinforced packing tape, the reinforcing strands aren't anywhere nearly as strong as the real thing. The adhesive is much stronger than the "reinforcing" strands, even after application of rubbing alcohol. It's slow going, but I'm retired, so I sometimes get to do what I want.

Old 05-05-21, 07:52 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Ugh, with nearly 20yrs since my last glue job; I"m allowed to make a mistake.

ALWAYS WEAR GLOVES!!!!

I made a mess of myself, the tire, and the rim.
Old 05-07-21, 06:20 AM
Slowride79

Bikes: 50s, 60s, 70s Nottingham/Worksop bikes, becanes, Gitane, Bertin, Lion of Sochaux

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 75 Posts
Velox Jantex 76 Tubular Rim Tape

Hello everyone,

I have searched past threads but most I could find on this subject are more than a few years old.
Can anyone vouch for Velox Jantex 76 Tubular Rim Tape?
I have never glued or taped tubulars but now find myself with several I need to do.

I recently asked a well respected collector here on the forum who has been at this for 50 years and he said without hesitation I should use tape instead of glue. I know there is debate.
My biggest concern with tape is how do you handle if you have a flat on the road? Does it come off easily enough ? Do you install a spare and for this do you need additional tape? What if you want to move tires from one set of rims to another? Some have said you virtually destroy the tire when removing from a taped rim. I have invested in quality tires (Veloflex) and don’t want this. Thanks everyone for your advice.
Old 05-07-21, 07:47 AM
smontanaro 

Originally Posted by Slowride79
I recently asked a well respected collector here on the forum who has been at this for 50 years and he said without hesitation I should use tape instead of glue.
I have always used glue, but if I was just getting started with tubulars I would probably use tape. I can't answer most of your specific questions though. I do have some experience removing tape, however. In my experience with used tubulars which had previously been taped, it is a PITA to remove. That post of the Conti Competition I made the other day was just the beginning of that particular adventure. I am still messing with it. I've got about half the tape removed from one tire. While it seems I can remove it pretty well, it is very slow going. That said, there appear to be a few different types of tape, so (as Harvey Sachs says), YMMV.
Old 05-07-21, 10:50 AM
Slowride79

Bikes: 50s, 60s, 70s Nottingham/Worksop bikes, becanes, Gitane, Bertin, Lion of Sochaux

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
I have always used glue, but if I was just getting started with tubulars I would probably use tape.
Thanks Skip. What brand of glue do you use? I have a couple tubes of the Conti....
Old 05-07-21, 10:54 AM
gkamieneski

Bikes: Pinarello Gavia TSX; Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
I had always used Vittoria Mastic, however my last set was done using the Continental glue in the orange tube for aluminum rims. To be honest, I was not able to discern any difference between the Vittoria and the Continental glues.
Old 05-07-21, 11:42 AM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 1,213 Times in 651 Posts
Been using tubulars consistently on my PX-10 for about a year now and am enjoying the ride, for sure. I've switched tires a couple times on each wheel. The last time, I didn't apply glue to the rim, since there's a pretty good buildup of old glue on the wheel. I only applied glue directly to the tire. Seems to be holding just fine and I don't find any loose spots. Any reason to be concerned about this? Also, has anyone here ever had a tire come off while riding from being under-glued?
Old 05-07-21, 12:43 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Originally Posted by Sedgemop
I only applied glue directly to the tire. Seems to be holding just fine and I don't find any loose spots. Any reason to be concerned about this? Also, has anyone here ever had a tire come off while riding from being under-glued?
Here's my test: take the air out of the tire and see how hard it is to get off... like you had a flat on the road and need to put on your spare. It should be damn hard, but not damn near impossible. I've never had one come off and every time I have to replace a tire I think it was a little too close to impossible and I can back off some on the glue next time.

Everybody has heard stories about people that rolled a tire though, and that's why most people over-do it... including me.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 05-07-21, 01:04 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by gkamieneski
I had always used Vittoria Mastic, however my last set was done using the Continental glue in the orange tube for aluminum rims. To be honest, I was not able to discern any difference between the Vittoria and the Continental glues.
You couldn't feel the difference in the color of the tube? It's obvious! Orange is close to red, and red bikes are the fastest. Everyone knows that.

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Here's my test: take the air out of the tire and see how hard it is to get off... like you had a flat on the road and need to put on your spare. It should be damn hard, but not damn near impossible. I've never had one come off and every time I have to replace a tire I think it was a little too close to impossible and I can back off some on the glue next time.

Everybody has heard stories about people that rolled a tire though, and that's why most people over-do it... including me.
What DiabloScott said.
Old 05-07-21, 02:22 PM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 1,213 Times in 651 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott

Originally Posted by jimmuller

What DiabloScott said.
Thanks, guys. Good advice.
Old 05-07-21, 03:01 PM
smontanaro 

Originally Posted by Slowride79
Thanks Skip. What brand of glue do you use? I have a couple tubes of the Conti....
I use Vittoria Mastik One. I have enough bikes with tubulars that I simply buy it by the can (on my second or third). I think cans + brushes are going to be less messy than tubes + brushes or fingers, but that's just my opinion.
Old 05-07-21, 03:53 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,854 Times in 6,070 Posts
I snagged a set of tubular wheels - 80s Shimano 600 hubs with Monthlery Pro rims - on Facebook Marketplace for $50. Didn't realize they were tubulars till I got them in hand. So I decided to take the plunge. I bought a pair of Conti Giros, and eventually settled on Jantex tape. As far as I can tell, they're on reasonably straight, with very little wandering tread and a slight hop are the valve.

So far, so good. I've done about 50 miles on them in two separate rides. I get a kick out of riding them, but honestly, they feel like....tires. Perhaps I'm just insensitive!

I actually got THREE Giros, so now the third is folded up under my saddle, with a spare toe strap.

Now, from what I've seen and read on the Internet (So you KNOW it must be true!!!), even without glue, the spare will get me home without rolling, assuming it's pumped up properly and that I don't push it too hard. What do y'all think? I COULD get a tube of glue and get it properly glued up, in case I need it. BUT my primary plan in case of a flat involves sealant and a valve core tool, with the hope that I can avoid using the spare unless the tire is badly cut.

Advice? Observations?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 05-07-21, 06:00 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
So far, so good. I've done about 50 miles on them in two separate rides. I get a kick out of riding them, but honestly, they feel like....tires. Perhaps I'm just insensitive!

I actually got THREE Giros, so now the third is folded up under my saddle, with a spare toe strap.

Now, from what I've seen and read on the Internet (So you KNOW it must be true!!!), even without glue, the spare will get me home without rolling, assuming it's pumped up properly and that I don't push it too hard. What do y'all think? I COULD get a tube of glue and get it properly glued up, in case I need it. BUT my primary plan in case of a flat involves sealant and a valve core tool, with the hope that I can avoid using the spare unless the tire is badly cut.

Advice? Observations?
To my backside and legs sewups are smoother and easier rolling, but what do I know?

You have the spare concept down pat.

+1 on tire sealant. The first time I had a puncture with one it sold me. The thing about sewup spares is you generally carry only one. With a clincher tube you can patch it many times if you just carry enough patches. With a sewup you swap out the punctured tire but now you have no more backup. Except that tire sealant lets you keep riding! When I got my first sewup flat while commuting in to work I worried for the rest of the day until I got within walking distance of home.
Old 05-07-21, 09:08 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Well, that sucks.

I messily installed one of the dirt-cheap Maxxis tubulars onto the front wheel. Looks fairly straight and round. I glued the rear this morning, tube was holding air, now that I've glued it on it's no longer holding air. I'm hoping it's something with the valve stem extender and that I didn't somehow rip the tube.
Old 05-08-21, 04:11 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey

You need to properly fold that tire up tight haha

Old 05-08-21, 06:50 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,213 Times in 1,103 Posts
@genejockey - You probably have not read all the posts in this thread! Somewhere deep in the content is this link
https://picasaweb.google.com/DiabloSc...gATubularTire#
This is the way I fold a tubular tire. I also put two applications of glue on the base tape of a new tubular.

This is a bit sloppy but it works. You will find that the lower priced tubulars and those with heavy tread and/or lower thread count, are harder to fold.
Sewup Clamp on Flickr
Old 05-08-21, 09:30 AM
bertinjim 

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1972 Carlton Kermesse, 1981 Peugeot PX 14 Super Competition

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 157 Posts
SJX426 -
The link to the picassaweb instructions did not work.
Old 05-08-21, 09:56 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Originally Posted by bertinjim
SJX426 -
The link to the picassaweb instructions did not work.
Diablo Scott's Spare Tubular Folding Photo Tutorial
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 05-08-21, 11:40 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,854 Times in 6,070 Posts
(That is how I folded mine)

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 05-08-21, 08:57 PM
gkamieneski

Bikes: Pinarello Gavia TSX; Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
Agree on putting a few layers of glue on the base tape of the spare tubular before installing under the saddle. Doesn’t do a lot of good as a usable spare otherwise.
Old 05-09-21, 02:55 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
This is how I fold it. The first fold is the length of your finger. Mine are real tight but I run 23's.

https://iamgerardthomas.com/fold-that-tub/
Old 05-13-21, 04:50 PM
hazetguy 
only here for the "LIKES"

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 1642 Post(s)
Liked 2,229 Times in 1,046 Posts
Today's after work project. Mounted some Veloflex Vlaanderen on some oe spec Shimano 600/Mavic GP4 wheels that will eventually end up on my Ross Triad when it gets here. For now, gonna run them on my Colnago.
Gotta say that these were super easy to mount and wow, do they spin true. They are really, really nice tires. Can't wait to try them out.

Likes For hazetguy:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.