Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Official BF Eroica California 2021 Roll Call!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Official BF Eroica California 2021 Roll Call!

Old 05-13-21, 12:01 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4501 Post(s)
Liked 6,367 Times in 3,663 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer

That's been something of a mantra for two years now. At some point, it becomes meaningless.

The sudden change of date may be on the city - again, sh*t happens - but the failure to communicate properly with their already-paid-up customers is 100% on the organizers.

As of this morning, I still have not heard directly from the Eroica folks. I'll be paying attention to if/when they do. If they open it up for new registrations without first informing the already-registered and giving them a reasonable amount of time to change travel and lodging arrangements . . . . well, that would say a lot about where we fit on Eroica's priority list.
This is a version of the classic seller and buyer scenario where the buyer thinks they are entitled (which I agree with) but the seller already has your money and has likely spent it so they are hoping to refuel with new money from new participants and don't really care about the ensuing chaos, we got your money, held your spot, your on your own, good luck.
Old 05-13-21, 01:32 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 2,501 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
This is a version of the classic seller and buyer scenario where the buyer thinks they are entitled (which I agree with) but the seller already has your money and has likely spent it so they are hoping to refuel with new money from new participants and don't really care about the ensuing chaos, we got your money, held your spot, your on your own, good luck.
It sure has that smell about it. It is also a dumb way to do business. I don't know much about running a business, but I do know it is a heck of a lot easier to keep an existing customer than to recruit a new one. If the Eroica folks don't get it together, they are going to lose a lot of existing customers - not a threat, just the reality of the situation.
Old 05-13-21, 01:34 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Originally Posted by SwimmerMike

. . . Do most people do the Saturday ride also? . . . .

Mike
Some do. I suspect most don't. I know I don't, but them I'm a wuss.
Old 05-13-21, 02:12 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
I still can't make that date and I am registered for both the Classic and Nova. If you or someone you know needs to register -- $150 includes both days, let me know and I will initiate the transfer.
Old 05-13-21, 02:18 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3463 Post(s)
Liked 2,826 Times in 1,994 Posts
It sure has that smell about it. It is also a dumb way to do business. I don't know much about running a business, but I do know it is a heck of a lot easier to keep an existing customer than to recruit a new one. If the Eroica folks don't get it together, they are going to lose a lot of existing customers - not a threat, just the reality of the situation.
It took Mussolini to get the trains on time, They are not that organized here.
I will try to make the swap, provided the pandemic is reigned in.
Likes For repechage:
Old 05-13-21, 03:15 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
I never thought of Eroica as a business. All three times, it felt like they were doing me a favor by organizing the ride and convincing you all to come along. Though I can't make it this year, it still feels the same and I give them a Covid Pass. (I am a school teacher -- where things are really really f'd up. EroicaCA is running smoothly in comparison.) I guess it is a lot of money for a bike ride but still a deal. My other favorite ride has raised their fee to 225. But you do get 30 more miles, 3,000 more feet of climbing, waffles, and a beer. Planning on it for next year.
Old 05-13-21, 03:34 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by Classtime
I never thought of Eroica as a business. All three times, it felt like they were doing me a favor by organizing the ride and convincing you all to come along. Though I can't make it this year, it still feels the same and I give them a Covid Pass. (I am a school teacher -- where things are really really f'd up. EroicaCA is running smoothly in comparison.) I guess it is a lot of money for a bike ride but still a deal. My other favorite ride has raised their fee to 225. But you do get 30 more miles, 3,000 more feet of climbing, waffles, and a beer. Planning on it for next year.
Must be the cost of the Belgian Waffle Ride California this year.
Old 05-13-21, 04:25 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked 2,264 Times in 1,268 Posts
OK, I am officially reserved for my campsite at San Simeon State Park. Gonna get there on Thursday and ride my Irish Fanny off for four days! I just love that area . My wife is bringing her ebike so we can explore the coast together. Like I say , by the time we get to the event lets hope all the frustrations melt away and we can just have a great time. I sure hope Linn's is doing the pasta this year, 2019 pasta was the best! Just think ..... long walks on the beach , music by the campfire while watching the stars , cycling the pristine coast , and poking dead things with a stick! It don't get any better than that!!!
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 05-13-21, 05:12 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

I didn't either - until recently. The vibe has definitely changed. As I said earlier, when Wes was running it, it felt like a labor of love along with a fund raiser for the SLO hospice people. 2019 lost a fair amount of that vibe - not all, but a fair amount. The way things are being handled now, some more of that vibe has been lost. Again, not all, but a fair amount more. When does it get to the point where I feel I am being taken undue advantage of? I don't know, but it never occurred to me to ask the question before.

As for this year, like @Kabuki12, I plan to arrive in Cambria on Thursday with wife in tow (she doesn't ride, but she likes coming along on the expeditions) and I fully expect to enjoy the area, the event, and mixing with the tribe. And I am quite prepared to have all my doubts vanquished. I do wish, however, they had not been introduced in the first place.
Old 05-13-21, 06:29 PM
Brad L 

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 1,037 Times in 321 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up, especially since I haven't received any notification from Eroica. I'd been putting off reserving a room, so I didn't need to change a reservation as much as make one in the first place - which I did moments ago at the Cambria Palms.

I noticed on the Eroica California site that the "Festival" still shows the schedule slated for April 2020. I certainly hope there's going to be a swap meet and concours. It almost seems pointless to drive the 3500 mile round trip for just a vintage bike ride, so I'm planning on seeing the sights on my way there and back.

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone.
Likes For Brad L:
Old 05-13-21, 07:54 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

I still can't reconcile all the uncertainty of the whole Covid mess yet. Having been on the front line and watching one of the major world class healthcare organizations flail more than I ever would have imagined.

You all are far braver than I.

The big takeaway for me at this point is to be glad they are forging ahead, I hope they are right in doing so.

Temper any expectations accordingly so you are not sorely disappointed, the past was then, this is now.

You all are the show now, don't leave it up to them, they don't, can't, won't care so make it so.

Maybe if they have it and all the rest gets way more under control, I'll get to come next year.
Likes For merziac:
Old 05-13-21, 08:40 PM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 3009 Post(s)
Liked 3,775 Times in 1,405 Posts
Aw man. I much prefer kvetching about gearing than kvetching about organization. But feel free to donate a couple hundred hours of your time to step it up. Any youse want to volunteer?
Old 05-13-21, 08:48 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by iab
Aw man. I much prefer kvetching about gearing than kvetching about organization. But feel free to donate a couple hundred hours of your time to step it up. Any youse want to volunteer?

my son and I volunteer for non profit organizations. That has been all screwed up for over a year now too.
Likes For repechage:
Old 05-14-21, 08:34 AM
velomateo

Bikes: '87 Serotta Colorado,'96 Moots VaMoots, Bertoni MAX, Eddy Merckx Grand Prix Team USA

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 146 Posts
I, like others, have yet to receive any email notification regarding the revised date (5 Sept) or re-revised date (19 Sept). I did check the My Eroica page this morning and was very happy to see that the California event is finally listed...and my registration is verified for Sept 19. I'm glad I waited to reserve a place to stay.
Likes For velomateo:
Old 05-14-21, 09:39 AM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 505 Times in 181 Posts
I never thought of Eroica as a business.
Well, it is a corporate run event and has been for many years now. Once it took off in Italy and a limit was put on participation they had to turn many people away. The franchising to several locations is in part to meet the demand but also to broaden the base. Giancarlo then sold out and took on the role of ambassador to stay involved. At it's heart now the these Eroica events have simply become a marketing opportunity. Wes was able to give it a human face but in the end it is just a business to the owners. The exception may be the Italian version which is where the real passion lies.

California is a terrible place to try and put on a large cycling event. Insurance, permits, lawsuits and ever rising cost to do business in the state have put a stake in the heart of events like this one. Add Covid into the mix and the incessant handwringing over equity and social justice in sport and you've got just too many hurdles to cross. Even promoters with very deep pockets (think Tour of California) now shun the state as a venue for cycling events. I will be surprised if the event survives another year or two in California! There is simply no way for it to be profitable as a large event in California. Particularly with the money they are willing to put into it. It cannot get too big in California or it will die!

The likely way forward is through a series of smaller grassroots events, like the Dalles Mtn 60 was here in Oregon or the Cino in Montana. Of course these events take a lot of work and volunteer support but they can be quite fun. Volunteers burn out though and passion fades even for the most enthusiastic supporters. Ask any event director about the difficulties they face and you will get an earful, especially in California. Enjoy Eroica California while it is here. I suspect that it may not be for much longer.
Old 05-14-21, 09:52 AM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 311 Posts
I am only getting the option to register for both the Nova and the Classic combined. Is it just my computer?

Did anyone get the Classic on it's own yet as a payment option?
Old 05-14-21, 11:38 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldairhead
Well, it is a corporate run event and has been for many years now. Once it took off in Italy and a limit was put on participation they had to turn many people away. The franchising to several locations is in part to meet the demand but also to broaden the base. Giancarlo then sold out and took on the role of ambassador to stay involved. At it's heart now the these Eroica events have simply become a marketing opportunity. Wes was able to give it a human face but in the end it is just a business to the owners. The exception may be the Italian version which is where the real passion lies.

California is a terrible place to try and put on a large cycling event. Insurance, permits, lawsuits and ever rising cost to do business in the state have put a stake in the heart of events like this one. Add Covid into the mix and the incessant handwringing over equity and social justice in sport and you've got just too many hurdles to cross. Even promoters with very deep pockets (think Tour of California) now shun the state as a venue for cycling events. I will be surprised if the event survives another year or two in California! There is simply no way for it to be profitable as a large event in California. Particularly with the money they are willing to put into it. It cannot get too big in California or it will die!

The likely way forward is through a series of smaller grassroots events, like the Dalles Mtn 60 was here in Oregon or the Cino in Montana. Of course these events take a lot of work and volunteer support but they can be quite fun. Volunteers burn out though and passion fades even for the most enthusiastic supporters. Ask any event director about the difficulties they face and you will get an earful, especially in California. Enjoy Eroica California while it is here. I suspect that it may not be for much longer.
Eroica Oregon, anyone?
Old 05-14-21, 02:39 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by gugie
Eroica Oregon, anyone?
I'm signing you up to run it and no I won't help.
Likes For merziac:
Old 05-14-21, 02:51 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by merziac
I'm signing you up to run it and no I won't help.
I'll just rename the next Ride Wrench and Grill and call it done.
Old 05-14-21, 08:47 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Well, the email came out today. The Grupetto ride down he coast has had to rearrange skanky motel accomodations for the ride down the coast, and the Palazzo V2.0 had to be rearranged, but I think we're good.
Old 05-14-21, 11:47 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by keithdunlop
The 2021 poster has been released! I'm a local so this may not mean much to some, but the organizers have seemed to have wildly confused the Morro Bay (and the rock) with Cambria (which is a good 20 minute drive north), and the course doesn't approach Morro Bay by any measure. And the pier in the foreground must be Cayucos, which again is many miles south of Cambria. This isn't even anywhere near where the Eroica CA courses go, except for the turn up to Santa Rita. If the imagery had captured Moonstone Beach, or the Piedras Blancas lighthouse, or the descent down Cypress Canyon to the coast, it would have better represented the region that the course covers.

Eroica CA doesn't head to Morro Bay, but OK.

Ummm . . . this isn't Cambria!
I don't think the poster implies that it represents Cambria, it's about the ride. That and it's just art. I double checked, you can see Morro Rock from the pier in Cayucos, so everything's technically in the right order.

Old 05-14-21, 11:52 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Is it just me, or does the poster make us look a bit like lemmings following each other into the ocean?
Old 05-14-21, 11:54 PM
keithdunlop

Bikes: 1988 Bottecchia Professional (for Eroica), 2011 Ridley Noah ISP (retired), 2020 Soma Fog Cutter (daily commuter), 2021 Ridley Kanzo Adventure (gravel), 2022 Tideace Aero (main road bike).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
I don't think the poster implies that it represents Cambria, it's about the ride. That and it's just art. I double checked, you can see Morro Rock from the pier in Cayucos, so everything's technically in the right order.

I totally agree, in fact, you can see the Morro Rock from Highway 46 on a clear day. I just thought the poster featured the rock in a very predominate way that didn't say "Cambria" to me as a local. The poster does say "Cambria" on it. Us locals may have have a myopic view since we ride these roads frequently.
Old 05-15-21, 08:43 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by keithdunlop
I totally agree, in fact, you can see the Morro Rock from Highway 46 on a clear day. I just thought the poster featured the rock in a very predominate way that didn't say "Cambria" to me as a local. The poster does say "Cambria" on it. Us locals may have have a myopic view since we ride these roads frequently.
At least it wasn't Dustin Hoffman driving an Alfa Romeo over the top deck over the Bay Bridge when he was supposed to be driving into Berkeley.

SLO is a wonderful place to live. My wife and I plan on retiring in the area in a couple of years, so there's a good chance I'll be hitting you up for some rides!
Old 05-15-21, 08:56 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Is it just me, or does the poster make us look a bit like lemmings following each other into the ocean?
"Hey man, I just follow what my Garmin tells me to do".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.