Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Trek Madone SLR Steering Limiter Broken?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-20, 08:57 AM
Cyclefiend

Bikes: 2019 Madone SLR 7 Disk, Felt Decree

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Something has happened to the steering on my 2019 Trek Madone SLR that allows the top of the fork crown to hit the faired front edge of the steering tube (see photos). This didn't happen when I first bought the bike; the steering, at that time, was definitely limited to avoid this. It began happening maybe 6 months ago. Has anyone else experienced this? If so what have you done about it? Was Trek able to help?

Old 04-18-20, 09:51 AM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
Have you changed your cables about the time this started happening? Your cables, not the steering/headset (I don't know of a headset or steerer which has a "stop" built in) are usually the "limiter" of how far your bars/fork can turn in relation to the frame. If you have changed your cables, they may be a bit longer than the old ones or are routed in a way that allows greater rotation of the bars/fork.
Old 04-18-20, 09:54 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Does this local damage affect the bike's steering when riding? Andy
Old 04-18-20, 02:36 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 743 Posts
Here's a blow up diagram of SLR fork assembly. #7 is the stopper. You'll have to take it apart to diagnose the problem. https://cdn.bike24.net/i/mb/da/a2/48...0-d-330837.jpg
Old 04-18-20, 08:20 PM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Here's a blow up diagram of SLR fork assembly. #7 is the stopper. You'll have to take it apart to diagnose the problem. https://cdn.bike24.net/i/mb/da/a2/48...0-d-330837.jpg
Interesting, I stand corrected. Never knew those existed, but I'm an old school steel frame kind of guy.
Likes For mprince:
Old 04-19-20, 09:49 PM
Cyclefiend

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Hi mprince, thanks for the reply.

No, I haven't replaced cables (or wires and hoses in this case, DI2 and disk brakes). My understanding is that the Madone SLR has some kind of physical stop to keep the fork crown from hitting the faired head tube as this interference occurs well before the handlebars could hit the frame. Somehow, I have violated this stop which must not have been very robust. I am looking for anyone with this bike that may have experienced this issue.
Old 04-19-20, 09:51 PM
Cyclefiend

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Hi Crankycrank,

Thanks for the reply and especially the blow-up diagram of the fork assembly. Very helpful!
Old 04-19-20, 09:52 PM
Cyclefiend

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Hi Andy,

No the damage does not affect steering, but does put an unsightly chip in the beautiful paint job : (
Old 04-23-20, 09:20 PM
GoingJapanese

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclefiend
Hi Andy,

No the damage does not affect steering, but does put an unsightly chip in the beautiful paint job : (
exactly, i have the same issue and on my 3rd replacement, according to Trek they have new Material which much strong but will not damage the Headset top cap which they will send to me.
Old 04-26-20, 08:49 PM
Cyclefiend

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GoingJapanese
exactly, i have the same issue and on my 3rd replacement, according to Trek they have new Material which much strong but will not damage the Headset top cap which they will send to me.
Hi GoingJapanese, in your case did Trek just replace the limiter or did they repair/replace the damaged fork? Mine is a Project One model so I'm curious if they will replace the fork with the same paint scheme.
Old 04-26-20, 09:26 PM
GoingJapanese

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Replaced the Steer Stop

Hi GoingJapanese, in your case did Trek just replace the limiter or did they repair/replace the damaged fork? Mine is a Project One model so I'm curious if they will replace the fork with the same paint scheme.
the first time i broke it the dealer replaced it but the y dropped my claim, because i was also claiming for the damage paint, exactly the same as yours,(sorry im new here and xould post photos), they insist that it was a caused by a hard impact, even though i kept asking to check the bike thoroughly if they can any signs of impact, i reported it to Trek and they said that they couldnt go against their dealers assesment, so i endeed up paying for it, not have it repainted. The second time i broke it i complain again because it was just 3 rides since the last one broke and its very weak plastic like literally you to avoid contacting it, plus the the top cap of headset which is carbon is somewhat sharp that also caused the damage, so accordingly to trek they made a new steer stop that is more stronger.

i have bought a spare steer stop from the first incident so i made
the replacement by myself since it was too easy, the design i think for SLR & SL is the same you can see this steer stop when you turn the fork its the black thing that was screwed on the headtube
Old 04-26-20, 09:32 PM
GoingJapanese

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just to add the carbon fork on mine was not damaged on the paint.
Old 04-26-20, 09:35 PM
GoingJapanese

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
also the carbon parts frameset has a lifetime replacement warranty, if yours was damage it can be replaced.
Old 04-27-20, 06:39 AM
GoingJapanese

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For your reference this is the new product number of the said to be strengthened Steer stop W5251960.
Old 03-31-21, 08:41 AM
exigeken

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello I have exactly the same issue with my brand new Trek Madone Project One. It happened within days of me first riding the bicycle. I am waiting for a response from my LBS. Every time I stop cycling and release the handlebars the front wheel spins left or right causing that damage. Doesn't seem to have a limiter to me. Very disappointing on a $12,000 bicycle.
Old 03-31-21, 12:04 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
Originally Posted by exigeken
Hello I have exactly the same issue with my brand new Trek Madone Project One. It happened within days of me first riding the bicycle. I am waiting for a response from my LBS. Every time I stop cycling and release the handlebars the front wheel spins left or right causing that damage. Doesn't seem to have a limiter to me. Very disappointing on a $12,000 bicycle.
based on the above, the dealer has the end all be all. Haven't read too much in favor of TREK being told by the dealer to replace a frame due to this issue. Hope your frame is not damaged. ?
Old 03-31-21, 12:08 PM
exigeken

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
based on the above, the dealer has the end all be all. Haven't read too much in favor of TREK being told by the dealer to replace a frame due to this issue. Hope your frame is not damaged. ?
I am to take my bicycle back into my LBS and they are taking photos and making a warranty claim. They have been talking direct to Trek. No the frame doesn't look damaged just the paintwork. I will update this post once I have more details. It's clearly a design issue.
Old 03-31-21, 03:41 PM
GoingJapanese

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Steer stop

The steer stop system is actually not the big issue, try turning the front front wheel until the fork is almost hitting the frame, and you will see in the center of head tube a small black thing bolted in the center, that is the steer stop system, I have broken 6 of those already until a new strengthened steer stop was given to me by Trek bow its all good, next thing to watch out is the seat Mast after around 10 months sidesways are happening at first i thought its the will that slipping a bit when cornering turns out the seat mast now have a left & right movement, but its carbon parts so another free replacement , my Madone is at Trek’s shop now for a month waiting for new Seat Mast. Dont get dissappointed its still a very nice bike, only thing is more moving parts such the isospeed means more maintenance parts,but since its lifetime warranty no need to spend.Trek already replaced twice my rear wheel each i broke a spoke and now the seat mast and the steer stop,
Old 04-01-21, 07:58 AM
exigeken

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The steer stop system is actually not the big issue, try turning the front front wheel until the fork is almost hitting the frame, and you will see in the center of head tube a small black thing bolted in the center, that is the steer stop system, I have broken 6 of those already until a new strengthened steer stop was given to me by Trek bow its all good, next thing to watch out is the seat Mast after around 10 months sidesways are happening at first i thought its the will that slipping a bit when cornering turns out the seat mast now have a left & right movement, but its carbon parts so another free replacement , my Madone is at Trek’s shop now for a month waiting for new Seat Mast. Dont get dissappointed its still a very nice bike, only thing is more moving parts such the isospeed means more maintenance parts,but since its lifetime warranty no need to spend.Trek already replaced twice my rear wheel each i broke a spoke and now the seat mast and the steer stop,
Oh I am not disappointed I love the bicycle. It is great to hear that Trek are providing you with such great support.
Old 05-24-21, 12:10 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Just broke one on my '21 Madone SLR. I guess the new and improved stopper is still a weak spot.
Old 05-24-21, 12:21 PM
exigeken

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
Just broke one on my '21 Madone SLR. I guess the new and improved stopper is still a weak spot.
I hope you didn't damage your front fork?
Old 05-24-21, 12:23 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
I hope you didn't damage your front fork?
I did. Project one too. Something, something bike now has character?
Old 08-10-21, 11:42 AM
OnTwoWheels73

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just to add the carbon fork on mine was not damaged on the paint.
Probably not right to say I'm "happy" to see I'm not the only one, but at least I know it's not (likely) something stupid I did. I've been wondering what caused this on my 2020 Madone SL7 as there is no way I've turned the bars far enough left or right to cause any impact like that. Will try my luck at the LBS to see what options there are, but not holding my breath.

Last edited by OnTwoWheels73; 08-10-21 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Tried adding photos and included bike model
Old 08-10-21, 12:16 PM
Pacelineg

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 28 Posts
Seems common

Last edited by Pacelineg; 08-10-21 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-03-22, 02:29 AM
scubastevew

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is disappointing that it's still an issue? If you had a used 2019 SLR, I guess they'd no longer warranty it since you're not the original owner?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.