Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road Bike and Gear Choice Advice.

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-04-21, 10:08 PM
Epika

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi. I want to buy a Road bike. But i don't know which gears i must to select. Is there any advice to low price road bikes and gear options?
Old 06-04-21, 10:22 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8255 Post(s)
Liked 8,966 Times in 4,449 Posts
Originally Posted by Epika
Hi. I want to buy a Road bike. But i don't know which gears i must to select. Is there any advice to low price road bikes and gear options?
We don't know how much you want to spend or what is even available where you are. Do you have good roads or do you need a bike that can be ridden in dirt sometimes? Do you need to climb hills? If you're not climbing hills any geared bike will work.
If you've never had a road bike you should get a less expensive one to start on. Just make sure it's the right size for your body.
Likes For big john:
Old 06-04-21, 10:30 PM
Epika

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my country we don't use dolar so i cant explain how much can i spend for bike. But i can say i want a entry-mid bikes. In our country, we have good and bad roads in same times. But i want to go long ways so i gonna use the good ways. This why im want to buy road bike. But i dont know the gear things. I search some videos and i saw " Gear Rate". I dont even know what it is, and how i can select the true gear rates (btw thx for the help )
Old 06-05-21, 02:44 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
But i dont know the gear things. I search some videos and i saw " Gear Rate". I dont even know what it is, and how i can select the true gear rates (btw thx for the help )
Gear Ratio
the gear ratio determines how much the rear wheel turns for each turn of the crank. This influences how hard it is to push the pedals. To go uphill you want the rear wheel to make few turns for each turn of the crank. To go fast on the flat you want many turns of the wheel for each turn of the crank.
Humans, like all engines, work best in a certain combination of resistance and rate-of-turn.
It is generally recommended that you pick a gear that lets you turn the pedals 80-100 revolutions/minute.
Old 06-05-21, 07:28 AM
big john

Can you post a link to any bikes you are considering? Or can you tell us what brand and model bike you can get there?
Old 06-05-21, 11:48 AM
Jack Tone 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
I think something like this could do anything you want.

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribbl...himano-tiagra/
Old 06-05-21, 05:12 PM
big john

Originally Posted by Jack Tone
I think something like this could do anything you want.

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribbl...himano-tiagra/
I like it! I wonder if you can get one in Turkey.
Old 06-05-21, 07:47 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
Having a "compact" 50/34 crankset and 11-36 cassette will give you enough coverage for bombing downhills at incredible speed and dealing with very steep climbs.
And it'll leave you with big jumps between each gear, which doesn't bother some folks but you might hate it. If you want to stay at your most efficient cadence (RPM), you want close gears that don't spread as wide, if you don't need all that range. I don't do much climbing so it's 53/39 x 12-25 on my bike. If I could get 13-25 in 11s, that'd be on there.
Old 06-05-21, 10:28 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked 3,945 Times in 2,638 Posts
Specialized Allez Elite is a great entry level road bike with decent components there is a shop in Istanbul that deals with Specialized (and might be more around the country) that would be a reasonable consideration as it is generally a popular one near me and I have sold a bunch of them over the years.
Old 06-06-21, 12:23 AM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Not enough information to give any useful advice.
But I would say that you don't normally choose a bike by the gearing it has.
Old 06-06-21, 12:46 AM
Epika

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw the link, but i think more like bianchi slr 400. Or close to that. Btw like kimmos said, i dont want climbing too much. Is this gear ok for me? Thanks for all advices. Im gonna ask for price to ribble in our country. What a great community
Old 06-07-21, 06:34 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Not everyone starts at >11 speed cassette. Most riders I know started with 8 speed cassette. It never bothered them and was totally happy with it......Until they upgraded to >10 speed cassette.
I started with six cogs, and it was a matter of choosing carefully. I chose to go without the rarely used extremes so I'd have the cogs I wanted often.
Old 06-07-21, 07:01 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Everything depends on how many hills are around.
Old 06-07-21, 10:00 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Having a "compact" 50/34 crankset and 11-36 cassette will give you enough coverage for bombing downhills at incredible speed and dealing with very steep climbs.
If you live in hilly area or are oldish this is excellent advice. Both apply to me, and my 39/48 cyclocross bike with 11-36 cassette and road tires has given my "road" bike a new life since putting on the 11-36 and a Sora GS RD to replace the original 12-25 cassette. Those 12-25s are for young fellers and flat-landers...
Old 06-07-21, 10:08 AM
big john

I saw the link, but i think more like bianchi slr 400. Or close to that. Btw like kimmos said, i dont want climbing too much. Is this gear ok for me? Thanks for all advices. Im gonna ask for price to ribble in our country. What a great community
I don't think they sell that model in America so I can't find any information on it. I do think Bianchi makes some nice bikes and if you have a dealer you can trust they can probably help you make the right choice.
Old 06-11-21, 02:39 AM
Epika

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, i get gear means now. Thanks everyone. Like big john's said, i hope the dealer make the right choice for me.
Old 06-11-21, 02:48 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked 1,460 Times in 1,011 Posts
Yes, i get gear means now. Thanks everyone. Like big john's said, i hope the dealer make the right choice for me.
Most bikes come with pretty big gear ranges nowadays (50/34 chain rings, 11-32 cassettes), so if anything, you might want to reduce range if you do happen to end up riding only in relatively flat areas.
Old 06-17-21, 06:28 PM
teejaywhy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
And it'll leave you with big jumps between each gear, which doesn't bother some folks but you might hate it. If you want to stay at your most efficient cadence (RPM), you want close gears that don't spread as wide, if you don't need all that range. I don't do much climbing so it's 53/39 x 12-25 on my bike. If I could get 13-25 in 11s, that'd be on there.
This is not gearing that would be recommended for any beginning rider.
Old 06-17-21, 10:40 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Originally Posted by teejaywhy
This is not gearing that would be recommended for any beginning rider.
I'd say that depends on where they live, and furthermore it wasn't a recommendation so much as making the point that there's a cost many ignore to having unnecessarily wide ratios.
Old 06-18-21, 02:03 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
If the bike you're looking at is the Bianchi SLR 400 on Trendyol, then that's a fine bike to start on. The listing there doesn't say what the crank (gears directly attached to your pedals) gears are, but I would assume 50-34. The cassette is 11-30, which should give you a decent range of gears for flat to mildly hilly. If you live somewhere with steep hills that you'll be riding regularly, I'd change to a wider cassette, like 11-34. But for your typical roads, 11-30 is quite good.

How many KM are you planning on riding per week? Per year? Are you going out in all four seasons, wet/cold and dry/hot? If you plan on riding a lot (say, >2k km/year), you might find some value in looking at bikes equipped with Shimano Sora, rather than Claris. Claris is fine, but Sora will shift a little better and is likely built a little better for heavier use. Of course, that comes at a price.

Just a few things you're going to want to factor in when you get a bike and start riding more than 30-60 minutes at a time:
- Get a saddle bag, and fill it with two tire levers, a tube, a patch kit, and a CO2 canister. If you can't get a CO2 canister, then get a mini pump to mount to your bike
- Learn to repair or replace your tube - you say not all roads are good, glass and rocks can easily cause a puncture. Fixing a flat tire by replacing or patching a tube is a lot more fun than walking 10-20km until you can get a ride
- Also, once you're riding more than 60min regularly, might want to look at cycling shorts or clipless pedals. Not everyone's taste, but they do make longer rides more enjoyable
- If you're looking to save weight on your bike, the first, and most useful upgrade will be the tires. I know nothing about Chaoyang tires, but I doubt they're lightweight or fast rolling. Switching out to a moderately priced folding bead tire such as Continental Ultra Sport Folding or Vittoria Rubino Pros (among others) could save you 0.5 kilo.