Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

A sub-forum for brifters?

Old 06-09-21, 09:50 AM
IBJoel
Administrator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Should be "Grunge Era Bikes"
"Good Simpsons" bikes
Old 06-09-21, 09:58 AM
IBJoel
Administrator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
It is too much overlap. A 1998 9sp road bike can be 96% the same as a 2015 9sp road bike and 92% the same as a 2015 11sp road bike.
I have been vocal, in threads and PMs, and the main reason is the forced moving of threads into that forum. Especially when the threads arent even applicable to that forum like the very popular retro roadies thread. Thats c&v frames with STIs, many of which are 10 and 11sp. Thats neither the frame period or STI period the forum is for.

An 8 or 9sp road bike doesnt need a new forum- 8sp and 9sp STI road bikes are currently for sale and a very popular option due to cost and value.

Interest has partly been force created due to threads being moved there even if the OP didnt want them.
This practice is rarely done elsewhere, its why there are mechanical discussions in general, c&v, road, etc. Its why there are lights and gps discussions in general, road, etc. Its why there are MTB threads in general and c&v. I could continue, but hopefully you are able to recognize the inconsistent application of moving threads.

And while the forum is attracting interest, that doesnt mean the same level of interest wouldnt exist if the forum werent around- the interest would just be in road and c&v. Interest being further subdivided doesnt equal increased interest.

This new forum was apparently due to one c&v person asking for it. Take time and read thru threads about the new forum- they are overwhelmingly filled with 'why' and 'not needed' type comments.
Originally Posted by hazetguy
moderators moving old threads there to make it look like there is substance does not mean it is attracting interest. if you randomly check in to the forum home page and see how many people are viewing each forum, there is almost never anyone in the brifter forum. heck, when i checked while typing this, there are more people looking at the fat bike, indoor trainer forums, and even the winter forum (there were zero in the brifter forum).

read the 'we got a present for you' thread. c&v is more than welcoming of a 2001 trek.

yes, they also said that about this ship:

the mods really missed the boat with the brifter forum.
Moving threads to populate new forums is standard procedure for all new forums, across all sites. We did the same thing with the indoor cycling forum last year. The purpose of Bike Forums is to provide information to cyclists of all levels in an easy-to-find layout. So that means, even if you don't find the forum useful, new (or potential) members with a stronger interest in that style of bike might.
Likes For IBJoel:
Old 06-09-21, 10:29 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Noo no no non...

The next sub forum should be for older 26" mtb's. I am sooo tired of having to combat the crap one member in particuar, who doesn't own or ride one, posts whenever they are mentioned in the main mtb subforum because they aren't part of the modern lexicon of FS wide range geared, upright geometry of today. Turns so many conversations into mud fights.

I have no idea whether such a sub forum would get traffic but they (26rs) are still very widely used. I've always wondered how many lurkers don't post about them because they don't want the shade of that one persons "buy another bike", "POS", "good to look at but not to ride" baloney.
I posted about MTBR, which has changed hands and not what it used to be.

There used to be a 26er subforum but it was deleted with the change. There was quite the discussion over there in Classic, Retro & Vintage over what it should include since all 26er are pretty much a classic wheel size and pretty much dismissed by the other subforums.

The “Get off my lawn” types in CR&V didn’t want anything that was not a unique older example (and I think pre-2000) to degrade their subforum, especially the likes of Trek 820 discussions.

I ride 26ers, but the industry has made it impossible to maintain that wheel size to be ridden as a true mountain bike. It is almost impossible to find good suspension forks, (especially 1-1/8 steerers), high quality wheels, (especially rim brake), and tires. The result has been to turn them into rigid grocery getters.

I’m positive the size will never be dominant again. But I do think that a younger generation(s) might revive it as some won’t want to ride a mtb just like grandpa’s.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 06-09-21, 10:32 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by IBJoel
Moving threads to populate new forums is standard procedure for all new forums, across all sites. We did the same thing with the indoor cycling forum last year. The purpose of Bike Forums is to provide information to cyclists of all levels in an easy-to-find layout. So that means, even if you don't find the forum useful, new (or potential) members with a stronger interest in that style of bike might.
- 7, 8, and 9sp STI bikes are still sold new right now. That level of shifting is still on new bikes, so having a forum for them that is separate from other road bikes is...curious.
- If the forum is really just for early road bikes with 7, 8, and 9sp shifting from the levers then dont put threads that are full of c&v bikes which have been retrofitted with 7, 8, and 9sp shifting since those bikes arent from that era. And really dont put threads where c&v bikes are retrofitted with 10 and 11sp shifting since neither the frame nor the shifting applies to the forum's intent.

Just move this back to C&V. https://www.bikeforums.net/early-bri...ergos-321.html
Old 06-09-21, 10:33 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11894 Post(s)
Liked 6,491 Times in 3,417 Posts

You and mods seem to think the circle of c&v and circle of road dont/cant intersect so another forum was needed to bridge the gap. Reality is that the circles are a pretty significant overlapping Venn Diagram.
Aren't you tired of whining yet, pal? If not, can't you keep your whines to a sentence or two? You are present in every single thread about the topic, elaborating your displeasure. We hear it, some people don't see the need for it. THAT'S FINE. DON'T POST IN THERE, DON'T EVEN READ IN THERE. But nobody is whining as much as you. Don't let it bother you if it doesn't affect you, that's just common sense. But the complaining is just getting tiresome.

And if the OPs of the posts that have been moved are unhappy, we''ll work with them to satisfy them. But if they're not complaining, why should you?

Last edited by Homebrew01; 06-14-21 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Typo
Likes For BillyD:
Old 06-09-21, 10:45 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by BillyD
Aren't you tired of whining yet, pal? If not, can't you keep your whines to a sentence or two? You are present in every single thread about the topic, elaborating your displeasure. We hear it, some people don't see the need for it. THAT'S FINE. DON'T POST IN THERE, DON'T EVEN READ IN THERE. But nobody is whining as much as you. Don't let it bother you if it doesn't effect you, that's just common sense. But the complaining is just getting tiresome.

And if the OPs of the posts that have been moved are unhappy, we''ll work with them to satisfy them. But if they're not complaining, why should you?
https://www.bikeforums.net/early-bri...i-s-ergos.html

The OP of this thread hasnt posted in 4 years so they probably wont weigh in any time soon. As such, it seems reasonable that current users of the thread would.
Ironically enough, the OP of that thread declares they are using 10sp Ergo shifting so the initial frame and shifting dont fit the forum the thread was moved into. Subsequent posts almost universally include frames that dont fit the new forum's timeframe, and many post also dont include shifting that fits the new forum's timeframe.

I am affected by this change as a popular thread I post in and reference was moved out of the correct forum and into this new forum.
Also, it just creates one more place to go for the same info that already fit appropriately in another forum.
Old 06-09-21, 10:47 AM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2424 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 891 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
If the mods are entertaining ideas for new forums, how about "Tubeless, Disc-braked Road Bikes with Electronic Shifting"
I'll get right on that!! Thanks for the suggestion!
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 06-09-21, 10:49 AM
BillyD
Administrator

https://www.bikeforums.net/early-bri...i-s-ergos.html

The OP of this thread hasnt posted in 4 years so they probably wont weigh in any time soon. As such, it seems reasonable that current users of the thread would.
Ironically enough, the OP of that thread declares they are using 10sp Ergo shifting so the initial frame and shifting dont fit the forum the thread was moved into. Subsequent posts almost universally include frames that dont fit the new forum's timeframe, and many post also dont include shifting that fits the new forum's timeframe.

I am affected by this change as a popular thread I post in and reference was moved out of the correct forum and into this new forum.
Also, it just creates one more place to go for the same info that already fit appropriately in another forum.

​​​​​​​So if I move that thread back for you, are you done????
Old 06-09-21, 10:50 AM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

- 7, 8, and 9sp STI bikes are still sold new right now. That level of shifting is still on new bikes, so having a forum for them that is separate from other road bikes is...curious.
- If the forum is really just for early road bikes with 7, 8, and 9sp shifting from the levers then dont put threads that are full of c&v bikes which have been retrofitted with 7, 8, and 9sp shifting since those bikes arent from that era. And really dont put threads where c&v bikes are retrofitted with 10 and 11sp shifting since neither the frame nor the shifting applies to the forum's intent.

Just move this back to C&V. https://www.bikeforums.net/early-bri...ergos-321.html
Would you like to join the moderation team?
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Likes For Siu Blue Wind:
Old 06-09-21, 10:51 AM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

​​​​​​​So if I move that thread back for you, are you done????
Probably not. So why try. I think he should be a moderator so that he can volunteer his time and give back.
Likes For Siu Blue Wind:
Old 06-09-21, 11:04 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

So if I move that thread back for you, are you done????
Sure then Ill be done, unless more nonsensical threads are moved into there while a ton of threads about MTBs, lights, GPS, nutrition, etc are left on wrong forums.
If moving threads is going to happen, then I would think it would apply to topics for all forums.

But yeah- moving that C&V thread back to where it makes sense would be super great to see.
Old 06-09-21, 11:06 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Would you like to join the moderation team?
Thank you for the invitation, but I must decline for the same reasons I have given you in the past.
Old 06-09-21, 11:15 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,298 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by Cpn_Dunsel
They (Tabloids) seem to be as accurate as any legit source these days so I'm going with it.
A more reputable source:

J.Lo Is Moving to L.A. for a ‘Fresh Start’ With Affleck (thecut.com)
Old 06-09-21, 11:35 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26250 Post(s)
Liked 10,231 Times in 7,100 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Probably not. So why try. I think he should be a moderator so that he can volunteer his time and give back.
...I would be a moderator if you had a stronger union. As it stands now, your contract and benefits suck.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 06-09-21, 11:37 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by indyfabz
...as someone who once experienced a long term "on again, off again" romantic relationship that went on that way for years, I can't get enough of Ben and Jennifer.
Old 06-09-21, 11:55 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
Language is not an ant stuck in amber and portmanteaus are one way is which the language keeps changing and maintains it fluidity.

Your other examples are brand specific and the word brifter is not. It has evolved to become an actual word.
Using the word portmanteau does not make you an expert on language. Do you say Frisbee or flisk? (Flying + disk)

It’s a lazy and inaccurate abbreviation.

These bikes from the 90’s were Campy or Shimano. There was no online smorgasbord of outside components, SRAM was gripshift.

Youre talking about 2 brands, not a genre. Not cross compatible without help. One high end exclusively and the other runs the whole gambit. Seems like two names makes more sense from a technical and linguistic standpoint.
Old 06-09-21, 11:59 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by rosefarts
Using the word portmanteau does not make you an expert on language. Do you say Frisbee or flisk? (Flying + disk)

These bikes from the 90’s were Campy or Shimano. There was no online smorgasbord of outside components, SRAM was gripshift.

Youre talking about 2 brands, not a genre. Not cross compatible without help. One high end exclusively and the other runs the whole gambit. Seems like two names makes more sense from a technical and linguistic standpoint.

....I etymology. This is exactly why I have proposed that one brand be called "brifters" and the other "shrakes".
Old 06-09-21, 12:00 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Sure then Ill be done, unless . . .
Sounds like you’re giving yourself some wiggle room, how does that work? lol

I can can promise you we’ll consider it, but to me, personally, that thread of 8,000 posts and 2,000,000+ views looks like the perfect anchor thread for this new forum. I’m speaking unofficially, of course, what do I know? And let’s not forget, you’ll draw more bees with honey than with vinegar.
Old 06-09-21, 12:15 PM
Cpn_Dunsel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 61 Posts

It is a Ph.D in the field of Rhetoric, earned from an accredited USA University, that qualifies me as an expert in language. I didn't attend four years of Evil Medical School to be called 'Mister,' thank you very much. I accept your perspective that it is lazy and inaccurate but that does not stop the culture at large from using it nor does it stop the tide of language fluidity. I know people that still 'dial' their phones to make calls. This is the nature of language. It can change faster than we can.

Either adapt to change or be crushed by it. Choose wisely!
Likes For Cpn_Dunsel:
Old 06-09-21, 12:18 PM
Cpn_Dunsel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 61 Posts
And as for flying discs, we often refer to them as a 'lid' when we play Ultimate.

Frisbee is a brand name, and still used by some but Disc Craft has taken over as the preferred lid of choice.
Old 06-09-21, 12:35 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,298 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
....I etymology.
I don't like entomology. It bugs me. See what I did there?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-09-21, 12:42 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
Using the word portmanteau does not make you an expert on language..
Does using the word Portacatena make me an expert on C&V?
Old 06-09-21, 12:42 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Sounds like you’re giving yourself some wiggle room, how does that work? lol

I can can promise you we’ll consider it, but to me, personally, that thread of 8,000 posts and 2,000,000+ views looks like the perfect anchor thread for this new forum. I’m speaking unofficially, of course, what do I know? And let’s not forget, you’ll draw more bees with honey than with vinegar.
I am saying if more absurdly incorrect threads are moved that I have an interest in, I will mention it in the future too.

Why would you anchor a new forum with a thread that you know doesnt have bike frames from the time period the forum focuses on, and often doesnt use shifting speeds the forum focuses on? Hopefully whoever chooses officially understands that a longstanding thread with regular users from a forum and frames that fit that forum, should stay in that forum and not be used as bait to entice people into another forum.

I tried honey last week but was continually ignored/dismissed(not sure which since, you know, i got no response) by a different mod. So I tried vinegar and it got your attention right away. Then nothing for a handful of days, so vinegar it is yet again, which again got attention.
Looks like I am swarmed with bees due to my vinegar.
Old 06-09-21, 12:44 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

It is a Ph.D in the field of Rhetoric, earned from an accredited USA University, that qualifies me as an expert in language. I didn't attend four years of Evil Medical School to be called 'Mister,' thank you very much. I accept your perspective that it is lazy and inaccurate but that does not stop the culture at large from using it nor does it stop the tide of language fluidity. I know people that still 'dial' their phones to make calls. This is the nature of language. It can change faster than we can.

Either adapt to change or be crushed by it. Choose wisely!
...this made me chortle.
Old 06-09-21, 12:45 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I don't like entomology. It bugs me. See what I did there?

...with that sort of attitude, it would not at all surprise me if your brifters are gummy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.