Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Trails in Northern MN

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-21, 02:23 PM
B2mac

Bikes: 2005 Gary Fisher Nirvana; 2010 Trek FX7.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trails in Northern MN

My wife and I are from SE MN. We ride the Root River and Cannon Valley Trails quite often and just love them. We are hoping to ride parts of the Paul Bunyan and Willard Munger Trails this summer and fall. Does anyone have any favorite segments on these trails that they would recommend that we check out?
Also, any "must see" places to visit in the area of those trails. I realize they are both quite long trails and cover a lot of miles but we would love to hear of your experience on these trails. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-21-21, 07:16 AM
ober27

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
https://www.walkermn.com/a-map-of-th...a4bcf887a.html
My favorite ride on the Paul Bunyan Trail is a loop that also includes part of the Heartland Trail and the Shingobee Trail. The loop is approximately 24 miles if memory serve me, about 10 of those miles are very hilly.
I'm very familiar with the Paul Bunyan from Lake Bemidji State Park down to Hackensack, i love every mile of it.
Walker is located at the intersection of the Paul Bunyan and Heartland State Trails, that gives you 4 good out and back rides. If you end up in the Walker or Bemidji areas, it's worth bringing the bikes to Itasca state park for a day. There is a loop in the park that's about 16-18 miles and includes the Mississippi Headwaters, it's a very nice ride.
Likes For ober27:
Old 03-21-21, 02:08 PM
B2mac

Bikes: 2005 Gary Fisher Nirvana; 2010 Trek FX7.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the ideas. They should make for some nice riding. I went to college in Bemidji 50 years ago. Hope to make it back there this summer.
Old 03-21-21, 06:06 PM
ober27

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Bicycling around Lake Bemidji has become very popular, both with us locals, and the tourists. The loop uses both the Paul Bunyan Trail and city trails, as well as a few miles of public roads. In the years prior to Covid there was a very well run Loop the Lake Festival each June, it would bring in several hundred riders.. Hopefully the festival will return once we finally put this pandemic behind us.
Someday we hope to come down to ride some of your trails, you also live in a beautiful part of the state.
Old 06-28-21, 01:13 PM
shona

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
My husband and I are considering riding the Paul Bunyan trail next summer. We like to rent a place in one location for the entire time we are there. Our main requirements are convenience to the trail and a bike shop in town. Where should we stay? Thanks
Old 06-28-21, 07:29 PM
ober27

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
There is a bike shop in Brainerd near the south end of the trail, and there is a bike shop in Bemidji near the the north end of the trail. I think there's a shop in Nisswa as well, you'll have to check on that. If I didn't already live close to the trail, I'd stay in Walker. Walker is at the intersection of the Paul Bunyan and Heartland State Trails. Three days of out and back rides, and one day to ride the Shingobee Connection Loop. If you have another day, you can haul your bikes over to Itasca State Park, they have a nice loop that's about 17 miles. Of course you can see the Headwaters of the Mississippi River as well.
Wherever you decide to stay you'll find some nice riding.
Old 07-13-21, 10:53 AM
BobsPoprad

Bikes: Lemond Poprad, Cervelo Soloist, Cannondale F4, RANS Velocity Squared

Liked 68 Times in 46 Posts
You can also ride to Park Rapids and back. All on the trail. And up to Cass lake and back.