Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Old 06-13-21, 07:46 PM
afm199

Bikes: Trek Madone, 2012, Trek Kronos CX Ultimate, 2012

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
75 now. Ride three times a week, either my road bike or my gravel bike. Typical rides 15-35 miles, I love hills, live in Oakland where I go out my door and have great uphill rides for miles. Just did a great mountain trail downhill last week on my gravel bike, it was GREAT. I was scared to death on one stretch, the fast steep, rocky downhill only two feet wide with a 20 foot drop to a rocky creek bed. I just retired after decades of riding motorcycles on the track, and that downhill was scarier.
Likes For afm199:
Old 06-14-21, 08:20 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 405 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
...That said, I'm signed up for a 50 mile ride tomorrow (longest ride so far this year, although I did do 47 miles last week on my fixed gear), and the first group ride I've done in about a year and a half. 50 miles should be right on the threshold I've been able to tolerate this year. I may throw caution to the wind and take some naproxen before the ride, "just this once."
John, I take indomethacin (NSAID) irregularly when needed when my knee blows up and it does wonders for my arthritis or back trouble but that is a pleasant side effect of dealing with the knee. I know for me and others taking a NSAID on an "as needed" basis they work best if they are used at the first sign of pain and that if wait to make sure I really need it it does not work as well. So I gotta believe taking it prophylactically is a good plan in your case.

Oh, and thanks for the tip on the guidonnet levers.
Old 06-24-21, 05:48 PM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

Bikes: DeVinci, Bianchi, Nishiki, RBSM Mud Adder

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 82 Posts
I'm 76 and counting. I try to get three or more rides each week.
At least one of 60 km on our RailTrail. That usually makes for a speedy ride. Today I took my old Bianchi Nyala (3x7 gearing nd no suspension) on a much hillier 60 km route. Total climb 746 metres but that was on pavement, max grade 11%. Yeah the downhills were also great.
Likes For OldRailfan:
Old 06-25-21, 08:12 AM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

It will be a rest day and for the next few days cycling will be shorter and very early.
Heat warning for the seniors "consume enough liquids and stay in a cool place!". For me that means tinkering in the cool garage ( 20°C) or reading.
Old 06-25-21, 12:18 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
75 and not ashamed of any biking I do. I ride for a little exercise and some enjoyment. I no longer record or report miles.
I am 74 and also am not ashamed to say that I ride for enjoyment and always have (hence my moniker), without a desire/need to record or document my rides or compare/compete, formerly or informally, with strangers (or myself.)

Reading too many posts from the "Serious Cyclists" on the 50+ list could lead a person into believing that the enjoyment of cycling, even for those well past 50+ years old requires an OC-type concern about mileage and speed, peer approved clothing and equipment, setting and achieving fitness or cycling "goals", and in general, a seeming fear of being "dropped" in cycling status by strangers and/or the aging process.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 06-25-21, 04:00 PM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

As the saying goes "to each his own and a bit more for me"
Old 06-26-21, 04:05 AM
MrJames67 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I am 74 and also am not ashamed to say that I ride for enjoyment and always have (hence my moniker), without a desire/need to record or document my rides or compare/compete, formerly or informally, with strangers (or myself.)

Reading too many posts from the "Serious Cyclists" on the 50+ list could lead a person into believing that the enjoyment of cycling, even for those well past 50+ years old requires an OC-type concern about mileage and speed, peer approved clothing and equipment, setting and achieving fitness or cycling "goals", and in general, a seeming fear of being "dropped" in cycling status by strangers and/or the aging process.
Precisely. I don't think this can be said any better. It covers it all and with no extra words or exaggeration. It's something I've been waiting for someone else to say here. True for me at 76 and was true at 26.
Likes For MrJames67:
Old 06-26-21, 06:38 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 695 Times in 434 Posts
Silver Sneakers exercise classes--do you participate in these? My wife and I do, free through our Medicare Advantage plan. Now, I'm only 70 and she's a bit younger, but surprised how much fitter we are than others in attendance. I've almost always been an active cyclist, with maybe a few years in between at times. Do you notice, if you attend SS, that you are generally more fit than the group?
Likes For freeranger:
Old 06-26-21, 12:52 PM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

It reminds me of the time back in '85 when I skied the Swiss XC marathon called "Engadiner" — 42 K with a lot of flat terrain across the frozen lakes. One of the competitors, staying at the same hotel, commented/asked how I would make out with my "rustic equipment". My reply was "Let's discuss that after tomorrow's race!".
He finished 8 minutes behind me, all that super-duper gear didn't make him faster.
Full disclosure, another guest at the hotel lend me a pair of poles that were "slightly longer" than mine and certainly helped.
Old 06-26-21, 11:28 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
Silver Sneakers exercise classes--do you participate in these? My wife and I do, free through our Medicare Advantage plan. Now, I'm only 70 and she's a bit younger, but surprised how much fitter we are than others in attendance. I've almost always been an active cyclist, with maybe a few years in between at times. Do you notice, if you attend SS, that you are generally more fit than the group?
Yes. However, I don't take any classes - I just utilize the free gym membership and visit the stationary bikes at Planet Fitness. I do this only when weather is bad, or the days are too hot. While there, I spin "easily" at about 85 rpm on one of their recumbents, and I'm a couple levels fitter than most others there, even the young 'uns. (I'm 68)
Old 06-26-21, 11:38 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

I completely agree. I'm at the point that if I just go out and ride, it's very enjoyable. I don't miss the days when I was obsessed with the stats. I do keep track of heart rate and time however. But I figure if ya don't like it, why do it? I don't care about my watts any longer. I just like the breeze in my hair - - -
Likes For Mark Stone:
Old 06-27-21, 04:40 AM
Greenhil

Bikes: 2018 Kona Rove NRB, 2121 Kona Libre

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 26 Posts

I don’t think enjoying a ride and documenting mileage, etc. have to be mutually exclusive.
Old 06-27-21, 01:07 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Originally Posted by Greenhil
I don’t think enjoying a ride and documenting mileage, etc. have to be mutually exclusive.
You're right, however sometimes they can be. I think it depends on the individual. I have over 33 years of hand-written bicycle log books, which I very much love to look at from time to time - they bring back memories, and help me tactically plan for the future based on past experiences. But now, especially as I have aged, I love to ride the Trike without all the detail - just for the sake of the ride. There's something refreshing about going back to just riding -
Old 06-28-21, 04:06 AM
Greenhil

Originally Posted by Mark Stone
You're right, however sometimes they can be. I think it depends on the individual. I have over 33 years of hand-written bicycle log books, which I very much love to look at from time to time - they bring back memories, and help me tactically plan for the future based on past experiences. But now, especially as I have aged, I love to ride the Trike without all the detail - just for the sake of the ride. There's something refreshing about going back to just riding -
I’m curious about where you ride in El Pas. My parents lived there for many years, so I know the city fairly well.
Likes For Greenhil:
Old 06-28-21, 02:40 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

I’m curious about where you ride in El Pas. My parents lived there for many years, so I know the city fairly well.
It's probably better to ask where I rode, since balance issues and age have placed me on a Trike. 😊

My favorite commute rides in town are usually between the east side and downtown. East of Bassett Center, it's easy to "neighborhood" through town without having to ride on a main street - and then west of Bassett I would usually ride the rest of the way downtown on Yandell or Wyoming. My favorite workout rides were, in order: 1. From the entrance to Hueco Tanks on Montana up the hill past the Border Patrol station, then back in; 2. Transmountain Road, either up the west side (not as steep) or the eastside; 3. Of course, Scenic Drive. I also used to ride between El Paso and Las Cruces on the various farm roads, and then I had one long loop - from my home on the eastside north on Loop 375, through Northeast ELP to War Road (called Martin Luther King Blvd now), north into New Mexico, west through Anthony Gap, then back around the Franklins and home. I think it may have been around 70 miles, but it was a long time ago. El Paso's a great cycling town - have you ever had a chance to ride around here?

I live in the Cielo Vista area right now, and take the Trike out on park MUPs, my favorite being Edgemere Park.
Old 06-29-21, 03:47 AM
Greenhil

Thanks - these sound like great routes. Transmountain must be a good climb. My folks lived in Sunland Park just west of El Paso. I actually had an old bike I kept at their place but sorry to say never rode it much. In my 70s now, I ride much more than at any other point in my life.
Old 06-30-21, 10:11 AM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
They do not have to be. Nor must they be inclusive just to be a cyclist. That's the point. Many of us simply ride for fun. I don't care how long yesterday's ride was so long as I enjoyed it.
Old 07-01-21, 06:37 AM
flan48

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 2

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts

Gigantic +1 from me!

Best regards
Old 07-01-21, 11:48 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by flan48
Gigantic +1 from me!

Best regards
​​​​​​
Will be twice Cav's age this October as he gets well deserved accolades for epic accomplishments at the TdF, at such an elderly age, his latest coming in Stage 6. Guess we're all going for green in our own way.
Likes For McBTC:
Old 07-03-21, 09:14 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
Pogacar went faster on today's uphills than I do on the flats around here.
Old 07-04-21, 05:33 PM
bargeon

Bikes: Fuji, Focus,Felt. 20 more letters to go.

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Well, if I put in 50, 40, or even 30 miles I'd be on here crowing about it like these young guys. But those days are past, so I just ride. At least I'm not crowing up in Pills and Ills.

Last edited by bargeon; 07-04-21 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-04-21, 06:39 PM
Serottafan

Bikes: Serotta Couer d’Acier, Blue Carbon, Giant Trance 3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well............I qualify - being 74!
Old 07-04-21, 07:55 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by bargeon
Well, if put in 50, 40, or even 30 miles I'd be on here crowing about it like these young guys. But those days are past, so I just ride. At least I'm not crowing up in Pills and Ills.
It isn't young guys who seem to do the most gratuitous crowing about their bicycling possessions and distance, speed and/or frequency so-called accomplishments on this list.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 07-05-21, 12:32 PM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

Originally Posted by bargeon
Well, if I put in 50, 40, or even 30 miles I'd be on here crowing about it like these young guys. But those days are past, so I just ride. At least I'm not crowing up in Pills and Ills.
You could measure in kilometres like I do, that's how one gets larger numbers.
Old 07-10-21, 04:46 AM
Jtmav

Bikes: Trek Domane al5

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 36 Posts
Introduction from Cape Cod

I wanted to introduce myself to the group, I hope you don’t mind if I copy my introduction post.

We are on the Cape from May till September/October. I will be 70 next November. Was a long time runner but of course running is a self selecting sport so around 50 knees and back started to balk. Picked up rowing as an alternative 4 times a week in a gym. Stayed with that pretty consistently until the Pandemic hit. Gym closed and I had an old entry level tank of hybrid bike that I had tuned and started riding seriously for the first time in my life. I stay on paths and am blessed to have a beautiful 11 mile run here on the Cape. I am up to 21 miles 3 times a week and have a new bike on order my wife of 44 years is giving me for my big birthday 70. 2021 Trek Domane AL 5 hopefully will be here before my 71st birthday😀. Have really fallen in love with the sport and still compete with myself as far as times go. Glad to say I am still improving but of course that’s from a pretty slow base. Look forward to spending a little time here learning from some of the wisdom that seems to be present, especially with this group.

Jim
Likes For Jtmav:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.