Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Show us your tandem!

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Show us your tandem!

Old 06-04-21, 08:18 AM
SWG

Bikes: Binachi Brava (?) Burley Duet Pashley Picador Plus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by samkl
Thanks!

The stem is the original Burley stoker stem, which came painted to match. We have the drum brake connected to a cheap old friction shifter shifter that I clamped to the captain's stem. A little awkward at first but you get used to it. We thought about putting it on the stoker's bars but the cable routing on the frame is designed for captain control.
Cool thanks for the details. I am going to give that friction lever on the handlebar stem a try for the drum brake. Seems like that is one of the better ways to do it and it surely was how the bikes came from the factory? The cable routing is designed for something at the front for sure. On the stem I meant the stoker seat stem, did you mean that too? It looks like is a suspension type.
Old 06-04-21, 08:31 AM
SWG

This is our Burley Duet, acquired about a month ago. From the components (Suntour XCE, 7-speed) I believe it's an early model, probably 1993. It's mostly original.

So far I have replaced wear items including cables & housings, both chains, brake shoes, bar tape. I found some correct brake lever hoods and freed up the stoker seat stem which was seized – someone installed a super long one and just rammed it in there past the corrosion in the tube and got it well stuck. I replaced the two large chain rings which were difficult to match but I found suitable ones. I fixed the rear derailleur - the pin that stops it from over-rotating was missing so of course it fell apart when I removed the rear wheel. The freewheel had a broken tooth, replaced that. It had cruddy racks on it which I removed and will replace with better ones. It had ugly pedals on the front which I replaced. Maybe some other small improvements in the future but mostly just get it working close to new shape and add some touring gear like bottle cages and proper racks.

I got it to ride with my daughter who has a mild disability that prevents her from riding a two-wheeler. She's been on it a few times and I have ridden with my wife as well. It's a really decent bike and fun to ride, never owned a tandem before. We'll mostly ride it in the city.

Likes For SWG:
Old 06-04-21, 10:48 AM
bazil4696
Bike Doctor

Bikes: Norco Cape Cod tandem, KHS Tandemania Cross, 1952 Claud Butler ladyback tandem, 1971 & '73 Raleigh Suberbes, 1985 Gazelle Sport Solide, 1985 Rossi professional

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 24 Posts
I like the Burley! Welcome to tandem life. We started with an old Norco Cape Cod, then bought a new KHS Cross, and now, as you know, we've snagged the Claud Butler. We can't wait till this lockdown is lifted so we can do day trips and stop for refreshments. Even finding a place to pee is almost impossible up till now.
That picture looks like it was taken on Queen St. by the storefront display!
Old 06-04-21, 11:31 AM
SWG

Queen Street is close! Lake Shore Boulevard West, near Kipling. My wife's storefront.
Old 06-04-21, 09:24 PM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by SWG
Cool thanks for the details. I am going to give that friction lever on the handlebar stem a try for the drum brake. Seems like that is one of the better ways to do it and it surely was how the bikes came from the factory? The cable routing is designed for something at the front for sure. On the stem I meant the stoker seat stem, did you mean that too? It looks like is a suspension type.
You mean the stoker seat post? That’s a Tamer, which came with the bike. Seems to work pretty well, according to the stoker.
Old 06-05-21, 07:18 AM
bazil4696
Bike Doctor

Bikes: Norco Cape Cod tandem, KHS Tandemania Cross, 1952 Claud Butler ladyback tandem, 1971 & '73 Raleigh Suberbes, 1985 Gazelle Sport Solide, 1985 Rossi professional

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by SWG
Queen Street is close! Lake Shore Boulevard West, near Kipling. My wife's storefront.
Small world!
I used to work at 3600 Lakeshore back in the 90's, but industry went away, one by one over the years, replaced by condos
Old 06-05-21, 08:50 AM
SWG

Originally Posted by bazil4696
Small world!
I used to work at 3600 Lakeshore back in the 90's, but industry went away, one by one over the years, replaced by condos
Photo was taken directly across the street from where the Goodyear factory once stood, but at 3600 you must have been to the west.
Old 06-05-21, 08:51 AM
SWG

Originally Posted by samkl
You mean the stoker seat post? That’s a Tamer, which came with the bike. Seems to work pretty well, according to the stoker.
Yes that's what I mean. I will look for one of those. Stoker seat post on my bike is not original.
Old 06-06-21, 03:20 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
Likes For PedalingWalrus:
Old 07-01-21, 02:31 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 549 Times in 241 Posts
Likes For rjhammett:
Old 07-10-21, 10:52 AM
BicicletaFavor

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Fantastic photos!
Old 07-10-21, 07:32 PM
act0fgod

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Pro, Bilenky Coupled Tandem, Calfee Tetra Tandem

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts

Our Bilenkey on it's first gravel trip after a conversion to di2 and new tires.
Likes For act0fgod:
Old 07-11-21, 06:58 AM
torger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 12 Posts
Our tandem has been featured before in this thread but it was a while ago and I've done some minor upgrades since last, so I hope it's okay to show it again. The photos are fresh from a couple of days ago. It's a 2017 Cannondale Road tandem where we have built custom 650B wheels to ride gravel, with these wheels 47mm rubber fits. To make it more friendly for the stoker I have nowadays installed an ee-silk seatpost, which is like a thudbuster mini, with 2 cm of travel. I've also installed a mudguard. I wanted to have one that is easy to remove so for riding fast/racing style we could remove it, turns out that a "permament" mudguard like this only has four screws so it's easy to take off and on.

I think the stoker bike computer is new since last time too, I wanted to have a speedometer to look at for the stoker. Unfortunately the wide frame made it impossible for normal mounting of sensor/spoke magnet, so I had to have the spoke magnet on the brake disc. The distance is too far for any wireless computer I've tried, so I had to use a wired computer. The wiring is a bit messy but I've at least hidden it on the non-drive side so it doesn't show up on drive side photos . If someone has a suggestion about "long-range" wireless bike computer I'm all ears. Of course a GPS unit would solve the problem, but for the stoker I rather want a computer that can hold battery for quite some time.

Other notable adjustments from original is a 24 inner ring giving us 630% gear range (52->11 to 24->32), and shimmed down the front seatpost from 31,6 to 27,2 to be able to use standard stems for the stoker. We also swapped out the bullhorn bar to a drop bar, extra wide at 46 cm to fit a captain's butt in between if needed.

Likes For torger:
Old 07-12-21, 09:29 AM
mbliven

Bikes: Rodriguez travel tandem with Rohloff hub (2020), Rodriguez Phinney Ridge gravel bike (2021), Trek Al-carbon road bike (2015), Zebra Kenko retro road bike (~1981).

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Great description and photos of your Cannondale upgrades. It's a nice looking rig and looks like a comfortable ride too (although my stoker might complain about only 2 cm of seat travel!) I bet the 47mm tires soak up the bumps. Are those your regular pedals or do you use clipless pedals also (i.e., SPD)?
Old 07-12-21, 11:04 AM
torger

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by mbliven
Great description and photos of your Cannondale upgrades. It's a nice looking rig and looks like a comfortable ride too (although my stoker might complain about only 2 cm of seat travel!) I bet the 47mm tires soak up the bumps. Are those your regular pedals or do you use clipless pedals also (i.e., SPD)?
Yes I use SPD for longer rides, in the photos it's setup for local rides around town. My stoker prefers flat pedals always though. For the SPD I actually use a special short axle pedal from SQLab which brings down the Q-factor with 10 mm, with that it's still a bit wider than a road bike Q-factor, but at least closer. When I do hard efforts or ride for a long time I prefer to have that narrower Q-factor, for shorter or slower rides the wider Q-factor doesn't bother me. For short axle pedals to work one need to not have too wide shoes (eg large feet) or the heel inwards otherwise the shoes will rub against the cranks. Luckily it works for me. I can recommend to try it out to anyone that find tandem Q-factor be wider than they would prefer.

Indeed the 47mm soaks up a lot, especially with a bit lower pressure. We have 28 mm road wheels as well, and it's a huge difference.
Old 07-31-21, 03:31 PM
Force 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 64 Posts
Hello all, I normally hang out in the Classic & Vintage section of the forum, but recently bought this Mel Pinto Special tandem from the mid-80s. In the process of getting it up and running. This is my first tandem.

Old 08-02-21, 07:39 AM
CABELLOJO

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 25 Posts
Has anyone ever shipped a tandem cross country usa? Price?
Old 08-04-21, 12:43 AM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by CABELLOJO
Has anyone ever shipped a tandem cross country usa? Price?
I've done one, but it was coupled so it fit in 2 cases.
I'd start with Bikeflights and Shipbikes. Both are just reselling UPS/FedEx/etc. shipping services, but at a lower price than you can get walking in off the street. In my case I think it was less than $200 cross country and insured. If you see the bike in person I understand that it is sometimes possible to check a full size tandem on a flight for a bike fee, but I've never tried.
Old 08-04-21, 10:44 PM
jim_pridx

Bikes: 2010 Bob Brown Cycles tandem, 2019 Co-Mo Carrera tandem, 1980 Richardson tandem, 2014 Cervelo R3, 2018 Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Bianchi Campione, 1983 Trek 720, 2020 Trek Fuel EX8, 2021 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Force
Hello all, I normally hang out in the Classic & Vintage section of the forum, but recently bought this Mel Pinto Special tandem from the mid-80s. In the process of getting it up and running. This is my first tandem.

Nice! I hope you enjoy riding it!
Likes For jim_pridx:
Old 08-09-21, 05:28 AM
BobT1962

Bikes: Raleigh Detour - Northwoods Tandem 21sp

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Northwoods frame build up.

I would be happy to share but need 10 posts before i can upload a picture...LOL
Old 08-28-21, 07:45 AM
mtn_cyclist

Bikes: DEAN Duke titanium soft tail, DEAN Torrys titanium gravel bike, Merlin Telluride titanium tandem

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 16 Posts
This is our full custom titanium Merlin Telluride XL Tandem. We did just race the Leadville Trail 100 on it. This is at Twin Lakes during a training ride.
Likes For mtn_cyclist:
Old 09-08-21, 05:12 PM
masispecial

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 20 Posts
Late 70s Ritchey road tandem, with a few 80s and 90s upgrades

Likes For masispecial:
Old 09-09-21, 08:33 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 946 Times in 553 Posts
the beast got his name

Old 09-11-21, 10:26 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Basically have changed as much as I’m going to change. I have a 450 mm Thomson seatpost coming but that is only to replace the one that was cut off too short (not by me) for the captain.

New brakes installed last night.

What it looked like about a month ago when I bought it.

Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 09-12-21, 12:46 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts
Finally got a good pic of us and our bike.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.