Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Assos bibs

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Assos bibs

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-21, 03:45 AM
Stanley1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Assos bibs

Last year I purchased a pair of Assos T Euipe Evo bib shorts. Seldom do I get excited by a consumer product, but this pair is the best bibs I have ever purchased. I have worn them probably 150-175 times by now. They are keeping their shape. The chamois is the most comfortable and secure one I have worn. No more adjusting myself all the time. They have this interesting sun glass holder on the straps. Initially, I thought it was gimmicky, but really has proven to be helpful. They were a bit pricey ($160), but certainly worth it.
Likes For Stanley1:
Old 07-12-21, 05:42 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
About 6 yrs ago I bought a pair of Assos bibs on a great sale. This was after 30+ yrs of all manner of bibs and shorts. I was amazed. They fit. They were comfortable. And, now 8 yrs later I can say they are as good as the day I bought them. I now have a "supply" of Assos kit. I'm totally happy with Assos.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 07-12-21, 05:46 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Glad to hear you like your bib shorts. Cycling clothing can be expensive. I sold a bunch of components I had kicking around and put that money into Assos fall/spring jacket, socks and bib shorts. Great quality stuff but sure is pricey. I hope that I get the same enjoyment that you do. Happy cycling.
Old 07-12-21, 06:59 AM
Fastfwd01

Bikes: 2015 Cervelo R5 Dura Ace, 2015 Cannondale Synapse 5 Disc 105, 2006 Cannondale F300

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I'm looking at these myself currently. Thanks for the input.

I've always been a pretty basic Pearl Izumi bib shorts guy, but my last pair (Elite Pursuit?) have a bad issue with the leg cuffs/grippers being super baggy. I see there's an Amazon review citing it as well. It's like they are the wrong size for the shorts themselves. They were only like $80. I didn't expect much. So, I'm about to put these into reserve training ride status.

I've never shelled out much on my cycling clothes, but I'm considering doing so. I have been hoping to get to a more ideal weight first, but I'm getting closer.

Assos is on my list. Those Cento Evo bibs on sale are catching my attention. I'm almost 50 years old and I don't 'race', but I do go for more endurance type events occasionally. There are so many options just within the Assos brand. I'm also curious about Rapha, Craft, and POC. Should I be considering any others? Any suggestions? I may need to create my own post for this.

Last edited by Fastfwd01; 07-12-21 at 07:16 AM.
Old 07-12-21, 10:13 AM
Oso Polar

Bikes: Trek 3500, Jamis Renegade Escapade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 43 Posts
Hmm, if you are actively loosing weight right now then I'd recommend to not invest much into cycling clothing and shoes for now - they'll become too big too fast, so, basically, you'll just throw away your money - bibs that are too large are unusable. Just get DHB or something else decent. Otherwise IMHO ASSOS is a great choice and the fit is *exactly* according to their sizing guide. Also take into account that ASSOS bibs are quite low in front (and their jerseys are quite short in front) which makes them very comfortable and well fitting unless one have a big belly.
Old 07-12-21, 12:09 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Great choice! Assos makes great bibs that fit me well and are very comfy. Rapha does too, but except for the Classic ones, can be a LOT more compressive. I like them but my buddy says they drive him nuts. I have several other brands but those two are my favorite. I have one Nalini which is surprisingly nice too. My Pearl Izumi, Gore, Castelli, Craft, Louis Garneau...they all collect dust now. I never dry them in the dryer. and use either the Assos wash or unscented liquid detergent.
Likes For Chandne:
Old 07-12-21, 12:28 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22579 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
I am also an Assos fanboy (actually prefer the old blue S5 chamois over the purple S7), but realize too that fit/comfort are VERY personal so not everyone will share your enthusiasm.
Likes For datlas:
Old 07-12-21, 12:42 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by Stanley1
They have this interesting sun glass holder on the straps. Initially, I thought it was gimmicky, but really has proven to be helpful.
Is this really a thing, or are you referring to the radio pocket that racing bibs usually have? I'm trying to figure out how one would even drape their sunglasses on any bib straps without wearing their bibs outside their jersey, like some older guy I saw on the MUP was doing. I blame Assos for putting completely unnecessary graphics on their straps, it's basically the high-end equivalent of Amazon bike short photos confusing people into wearing them inside out.
Old 07-12-21, 01:04 PM
Bill

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by surak
Is this really a thing, or are you referring to the radio pocket that racing bibs usually have? I'm trying to figure out how one would even drape their sunglasses on any bib straps without wearing their bibs outside their jersey, like some older guy I saw on the MUP was doing. I blame Assos for putting completely unnecessary graphics on their straps, it's basically the high-end equivalent of Amazon bike short photos confusing people into wearing them inside out.
it's a thing. The bibs go under the jersey, so the sunglasses do, too. Can't really notice them.
Old 07-12-21, 01:53 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
https://vimeo.com/81481939
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 07-12-21, 03:04 PM
Oso Polar

I'd love to see a video where they'll show how it is supposed to be used. Or this is for use without jersey, on the trainer? Not sure why I'd want sunglasses on the trainer though...
Old 07-12-21, 03:13 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
Originally Posted by Oso Polar
Only Assos would have a "Bib Stabilizer" that doubles as a holder for your sunglasses.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-12-21, 06:35 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
Bib Stabilizer/sunglasses holder. Floor wax/dessert topping.
Old 07-12-21, 09:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
So you are saying these bibs are good for you assos?
Old 07-13-21, 06:21 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,618 Times in 2,122 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I am also an Assos fanboy (actually prefer the old blue S5 chamois over the purple S7), but realize too that fit/comfort are VERY personal so not everyone will share your enthusiasm.
I bought a pair due to your gushing remarks and disliked them, but keep reading.

I used a pair when I bought a Colnago 6-7 weeks ago and they felt great. Hmm, why did I not like them before? So, I've been wearing the two pair and have ridden several 50-70 mile rides and am totally happy.

Then, I rode my Propel while wearing the Assos bibs and they felt like crap again. Obviously there is a saddle type and saddle fit between my two bikes and my bibs. So, Assos for my Colnago and Specialized RBX Comp bibs for my Propel

Old 07-13-21, 06:23 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22579 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I bought a pair due to your gushing remarks and disliked them, but keep reading.

I used a pair when I bought a Colnago 6-7 weeks ago and they felt great. Hmm, why did I not like them before? So, I've been wearing the two pair and have ridden several 50-70 mile rides and am totally happy.

Then, I rode my Propel while wearing the Assos bibs and they felt like crap again. Obviously there is a saddle type and saddle fit between my two bikes and my bibs. So, Assos for my Colnago and Specialized RBX Comp bibs for my Propel
Clearly there may be a saddle/chamois/butt interface.

Interestingly, at this point I can wear almost any bibs/shorts for a 50 mile 3 hour ride. It's the longer rides say of 4+ hours, 70+ miles, centuries, where I make it a point to wear the Assos.
Old 07-13-21, 06:26 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
Originally Posted by Fastfwd01
I'm also curious about Rapha, Craft, and POC. Should I be considering any others? Any suggestions? I may need to create my own post for this.
I can say Rapha are very good. For long endurance rides I really like their Core Cargo bibs with extra pockets on back and thighs. Pad is really comfortable too. I have a pair of Assos bibs too, which are also great. But no extra pockets, which is fine for shorter rides. But once you get used to having those extra pockets on an all-day event it's hard to go back. 7-mesh is another brand I would look at. I have their mtb shorts and liners and they are superb. Their bibs look very tempting and they have a cargo option too. POC I like as a brand for helmets and pads, but the one pair of POC mtb shorts I bought was a bit disappointing. So I haven't considered their bibs or other clothing after that experience.
Old 07-13-21, 03:07 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
I have no experience with Asos but i have bought quite a few articles of clothing from Voler that has proven to be well worth the money - and they are pretty reasonably priced Ive had great luck with their bibs, long leg bibs, socks, long sleeve jerseys, short sleeve jerseys, wind vests, undergarment warmers

check em out, they are a great company that sells direct to the consumer

https://store.voler.com/
Old 07-13-21, 03:16 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
I have always heard that the shoulder straps on Assos bibs bunch up and cause unbearable discomfort even on short rides.
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 07-13-21, 07:14 PM
Stanley1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
best shoulder straps I've had. no bunching
Old 07-14-21, 05:49 AM
bruce19

Originally Posted by downhillmaster
I have always heard that the shoulder straps on Assos bibs bunch up and cause unbearable discomfort even on short rides.
Not for me. They have always been very comfortable.
Old 07-14-21, 05:52 AM
bruce19

Re: Assos prices. I have 4 pair of bibs and 1 of knickers. I think I paid about $140 for the knickers. And, never more than $129 for bibs. I always shop the sales.
Old 07-14-21, 10:14 PM
Oso Polar

Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Something that definitely never happened to me. And it is hard to imagine how this can happen given their construction (pretty wide and uniform straps without any stitches, borders, curves etc.).
In my experience this happens only with the bibs that have straps similar to common tank undershirts, something like this: https://content.backcountry.com/imag...PLZ00I4/BK.jpg In fact, they are bunching already on this promotional photo.
Old 07-14-21, 10:23 PM
Oso Polar

Originally Posted by bruce19
Re: Assos prices. I have 4 pair of bibs and 1 of knickers. I think I paid about $140 for the knickers. And, never more than $129 for bibs. I always shop the sales.
Mille GT, I guess? Or size XS? Anything else will definitely be more expensive. I do the same - buy ASSOS only during the sales. Usually they happen at least twice a year in each of the following places: ASSOS website itself (archive sales), Competitive Cyclist (same as Backcountry), BikeTiresDirect. Good discount is 25-35%, it is extremely rare to see significantly more (unless your size is XS). And common sizes usually sale fast.
Old 07-14-21, 11:26 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Turns out the Cento_S7 bibs I've owned for 2 years also has the "eyeWear Holder" on the strap and I'd never noticed, nevermind thought I'd want to use it.

I like the chamois on the Centos but the fit isn't that great so I rarely wear them. The straps are noticeably less stretchy than my Rapha and Sportful bibs, seems that Assos is made for shorter people the way Castelli is. Both will give me a wedgie if I don't constantly pull down on the legs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.