Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tire and Tube Availability and Pricing

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tire and Tube Availability and Pricing

Old 07-14-21, 09:55 AM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 129 Posts
I got a 4 pack of Conti tubes last week in the low $20s, figured it was worth grabbing them at that price considering it's rare that I see individual tubes for less than $7 these days. I remember when I could load up on mountain bike tubes in the early 2000s for $1.50 each at Jenson...
Old 07-14-21, 10:06 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,295 Times in 7,229 Posts
Originally Posted by yarbrough462
You folks that are talking about being able to easily source parts on Amazon and internet searches should realize that most of those parts on Amazon and the internet are coming from local bike shops that sell there. The reason they are relatively easy to find is because you are casting a wider net. Unfortunately, those sources are drying up now too. Those shops don't have some kind of magical backdoor to QBP (where a large portion of bike shops get stock). I work at a pretty large shop and we can't get most Shimano parts right now. SRAM availability is getting pretty bad too. Tires are getting harder and harder to find everyday. Once our back stock dries up, we won't be able to fix bikes requiring those parts. Most industry sources say that this will probably go on into early 2023. I hope they are wrong...
Yeah. My ex is having an Engin built. A while back the builder urged her to pick components because they were getting harder and harder to find. (She's going with SRAM wireless.) The builder also owns what is usually a busy LBS in a well-heeled area of Philly. Business has dried up because of the inability to get bikes and parts for service. He's no longer accepting service appointment. Fortunately, he has the custom frame business to keep him going. I believe he also machines things for other businesses. But I have to wonder how many people are going to continue to order custom frames if getting components from them is going to be even harder than it is now. Sad.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-14-21, 10:17 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13640 Post(s)
Liked 4,450 Times in 2,470 Posts
Our shop probably looked like crazy horder/preppers over the winter and into the spring this year. But, we haven't run out of commodity items, like rubber yet.

*knocks wood*
Old 07-14-21, 10:46 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
Our shop probably looked like crazy horder/preppers over the winter and into the spring this year. But, we haven't run out of commodity items, like rubber yet.

*knocks wood*
yeah, have you priced lumber? You won't be "knocking wood" for much longer.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 07-14-21, 10:59 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
yeah, have you priced lumber? You won't be "knocking wood" for much longer.
..cough..ah..ya. I was in a box store the other day and noticed the price on 2x2x8s..a year+ ago they would have been $1.25-$1.50...running $4.25 now. Crazy.
Old 07-14-21, 11:04 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Yeah it already is....I was just pricing some new tires for my truck, I was thinking it might be cheaper to just get a new truck
I'm trying to get new tires for my 1928 Model A. They are out of stock everywhere and the ones that are in stock are now $250-$300 each when I was originally looking in the $99/ea range.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 07-14-21, 11:10 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Have no idea if this is real, but, ..

#1 learn to patch a tube and you likely be golden with what you have on the shelve and in the wheels for years.

#2 Be less picky. You may not be able to get your favourite tube or tyre on sale, TODAY!, but Its not like the world ran out of bike tyres (or tube patches, or tubes).

Carry on! :-)

EDIT: Come to think of it. I just waited 3 months for a pair of Shimano hydro brifters .. Supply chain is definitely affected, but not to the point you cant ride.
Yeah it's been affected for over a year now. Shimano has had its Malaysian plant shut down for over a month now because of the government and covid. This is also what's hitting the rubber market.

As for not being to the point you can't ride - Every shop I know is currently buying parts off of Amazon just to fill customer orders. We all laugh about it. Walk into a busy Trek store lately? They're desolate.

A big shop I sell to in Florida (cream) - has tons of bikes in the showroom. Ask them and you'll quickly find out they're actually bikes in for service that are waiting on parts. Makes the showroom look great though.

A bike OEM I work with just told me they finally found a container for a shipment of bikes. "We normally pay $2k-$3k for a container. This one was $22k. We didn't get a choice - that's what we're paying. Every part in our operation is now going up $1 as a result. Chain? +$1. Bar tape? +$1."

Old 07-14-21, 11:34 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

This is a local Trek Shop.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 07-14-21, 11:47 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Yeah it's been affected for over a year now. Shimano has had its Malaysian plant shut down for over a month now because of the government and covid. This is also what's hitting the rubber market.

As for not being to the point you can't ride - Every shop I know is currently buying parts off of Amazon just to fill customer orders. We all laugh about it. Walk into a busy Trek store lately? They're desolate.

A big shop I sell to in Florida (cream) - has tons of bikes in the showroom. Ask them and you'll quickly find out they're actually bikes in for service that are waiting on parts. Makes the showroom look great though.

A bike OEM I work with just told me they finally found a container for a shipment of bikes. "We normally pay $2k-$3k for a container. This one was $22k. We didn't get a choice - that's what we're paying. Every part in our operation is now going up $1 as a result. Chain? +$1. Bar tape? +$1."
The rep from one of the company examples I listed in a post above shared an email he got from his higher ups. They reserved 6 containers. The additional freight per container was an extra 10k. The product they were shipping on that container probably cost them 43-45K not including the freight. That's a huge increase just for the additional freight.

Last edited by seypat; 07-14-21 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-14-21, 11:52 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
Passing thought as I was riding this morning.

It isn't clear from the OP whether natural rubber or synthetic (butyl) rubber will potentially be short in supply. A quick search suggests natural rubber is the issue(disease & lack of planting new trees due to low prices..there's a 7 year delay between planting and harvesting latex). I can imagine scenarios where either one could experience issues in meeting demand. Natural rubber and butyl rubber, while very similar, do have different properties (advantages and disadvantages). If one is in short supply, tire compounders may well adjust their formulas as needed with an alternate rubber or filler. This, in turn, would impact performance. Currently their formulas(low, medium, & higher end tires) are some optimum of lowest cost vs required performance. If shortages force a change in their formulas they'll net out at a different (best they can do) optimum...and/or cost reductions/substitutions will be made in other tire components.

The short story.. a shortage of rubber will not result in simply raising prices it will also force mfgs to adapt in order to continue selling product(volume). It's likely those changes will not improve their tire performance. We may well be buying higher priced tires that have poorer performance. We could also see a surge in "super premium tires" that would be the same good tires we purchase today and an appreciably higher price point.

(I'm a retired polymer chemist...tires were not my gig. I wouldn't say the above is guaranteed to happen, however when industries like this are hit with longer term raw material supply issues...this is what happens & how it works..been there)
Old 07-14-21, 11:53 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by seypat
The rep from on of the company examples I listed in a post above shared an email he got from his higher ups. They reserved 6 containers. The additional freight per container was an extra 10k. The product they were shipping on that container probably cost them 43-45K not including the freight. That's a huge increase just for the additional freight.
Yeah I don't think the vast majority of every day people really get this - as was said earlier they just open amazon or google and find what they want and move on with their day. They have no idea that the entire logistics system and supply chain that has been established over the last 40 years is completely crumbling and that will bring about a complete change to every aspect of life as we know it.

,,,,but yeah you can still get tubes right now.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 07-14-21, 11:54 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
The funniest/most offensive customer moment happened to me last week. I had a customer request a volume discount if he bought by the pallet! I told him, "I'd be happy to, but the item you're wanting has been on backorder since 3/10. I have the next size up or a different brand. They both cost more. The rest of the items you buy are on allocation based on past usage. If you want a skid or 2, I can sell you 5 boxes each. I can also only quote you a price on what I have in stock. That's it."

The worst are the "patriots" that ask "why don't you have some product made in the good ol USA?"

"I do have some or can get it. It'll cost you about 20% more. You want some?"

"Heck no, that stuff's too expensive!"

Last edited by seypat; 07-14-21 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-14-21, 12:00 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by seypat
The funniest/most offensive customer moment happened to me last week. I had a customer request a volume discount if he bought by the pallet! I told him, "I'd be happy to, but the item you're wanting has been on backorder since 3/10. I have the next size up or a different brand. They both cost more. The rest of the items you buy are on allocation based on past usage. If you want a skid or 2, I can sell you 5 boxes each. I can also only quote you a price on what I have in stock. That's it."
Yeah I got dropped by my plastics molder a couple of weeks ago, "Current demand coupled with raw material shortages, machine capacities, and ongoing labor shortages have put us in a position where we can no longer take any purchase order from your company for the foreseeable future."

English version: "we produce over a million parts a day and that's not even enough. Your 11k parts every 6 months isn't worth the hassle. Sorry."

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 07-14-21, 12:16 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,166 Times in 763 Posts
Yeah it already is....I was just pricing some new tires for my truck, I was thinking it might be cheaper to just get a new truck
I just priced some for my full size truck. Price hasn't changed since I last checked 4 months ago.

Rubber apocalypse isn't real.
Old 07-14-21, 02:02 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4266 Post(s)
Liked 2,938 Times in 1,812 Posts

Yeah, my local Trek shop is similarly empty. Or even worse
Old 07-14-21, 02:05 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4266 Post(s)
Liked 2,938 Times in 1,812 Posts
GP 5000s still seem pretty cheap on probikekit.

My DI2 seems to be on the fritz. The battery won't charge. Well, the battery isn't totally run down, but when I plug it in, the charger light just stays on for a littlle and then goes off, and the battery does not charge. I have to take it in the the LBS and I'm hoping that the problem does not require a new part. I could be without a bike for a very long time.
Old 07-14-21, 03:55 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts

,,,,but yeah you can still get tubes right now.
hmm. I thought this thread all started with the premise that tubes were hard to get and have doubled in price.
Old 07-14-21, 04:32 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts

Looks like my local trek shop. I was riding the other day, stopped in to shoot the crap while I was waiting for the rain to stop. I just put it in one of the empty racks to keep it out of the way. Had 3 different people pull it out of the rack to see if they could take it for a test ride. Each time, they pointed them to me saying it was my bike, I shook my head no and they looked dejected.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 07-14-21, 04:39 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Looks like my local trek shop. I was riding the other day, stopped in to shoot the crap while I was waiting for the rain to stop. I just put it in one of the empty racks to keep it out of the way. Had 3 different people pull it out of the rack to see if they could take it for a test ride. Each time, they pointed them to me saying it was my bike, I shook my head no and they looked dejected.
That is truly hilarious
Old 07-14-21, 04:41 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,295 Times in 7,229 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
hmm. I thought this thread all started with the premise that tubes were hard to get and have doubled in price.
You can still get them at double the price. That’s what the OP says.
Old 07-14-21, 05:08 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

AH - there's a difference here. What is available at retail to the public is different than what is available in wholesale channels. Our distributors have had little to nothing in the way of tubes and tires for over almost 2 years. That said they do occasionally have batches that come in and are sold out in seconds as the people you guys are buying from at retail are buying up everything they can get their hands on.

At this distributor (wholesale) end the pricing doubled overnight. Another double is coming. They also warned that there will be a shortage of raw material. On top of that most of the plants that process these parts are located in Malaysia. That country has been hit super hard by covid at the moment and has their government has shut down most factories.

To make it all worse - there are no containers to get anything over here even if they are able to make tubes and tires at a higher price.

I know it's seemingly hard for most here to think there is anything to a supply chain other than looking at their favorite retail chain online...what I am saying is upstream is getting hit with large price increases and being told of shortages. In addition to what we have been dealing with for the last year and a half. At some point this will hit the retail end.

I get that no one will believe it until it finally hits them on the retail side so... that's why I started this. Just to watch everyone convince themselves it's a non-issue because right now they can buy what they want online at retail. Then when issues start arising it could be a decent place for people to come look for places that still have inventory or intermittent stock.

So...not a hard concept. There are tubes available in retail right now no doubt. Every single one of my distributors is completely out of tubes and has been for the last year and a half.

Old 07-14-21, 05:12 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

I literally just went out and checked the largest distributor in the country for presta tubes. They have a handful of 1 size - 700x30-43 in a 48mm valve. I'd post a video of all of the "0"'s but I don't want to lose my account.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 07-14-21, 05:22 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1876 Post(s)
Liked 1,411 Times in 979 Posts
Headline: Empty Trek bike shop converted into bike parking area and coffee stand.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 07-14-21, 05:26 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1876 Post(s)
Liked 1,411 Times in 979 Posts
AH - there's a difference here. What is available at retail to the public is different than what is available in wholesale channels. Our distributors have had little to nothing in the way of tubes and tires for over almost 2 years. That said they do occasionally have batches that come in and are sold out in seconds as the people you guys are buying from at retail are buying up everything they can get their hands on.

At this distributor (wholesale) end the pricing doubled overnight. Another double is coming. They also warned that there will be a shortage of raw material. On top of that most of the plants that process these parts are located in Malaysia. That country has been hit super hard by covid at the moment and has their government has shut down most factories.

To make it all worse - there are no containers to get anything over here even if they are able to make tubes and tires at a higher price.

I know it's seemingly hard for most here to think there is anything to a supply chain other than looking at their favorite retail chain online...what I am saying is upstream is getting hit with large price increases and being told of shortages. In addition to what we have been dealing with for the last year and a half. At some point this will hit the retail end.

I get that no one will believe it until it finally hits them on the retail side so... that's why I started this. Just to watch everyone convince themselves it's a non-issue because right now they can buy what they want online at retail. Then when issues start arising it could be a decent place for people to come look for places that still have inventory or intermittent stock.

So...not a hard concept. There are tubes available in retail right now no doubt. Every single one of my distributors is completely out of tubes and has been for the last year and a half.
I understand that your experience is a harbinger of things to come on the retail end for us regular folks, which is why I am thankful for your heads up so I can go hoard a couple of extra tubes. I would have ordered some tires too but I just installed new tires < 1 month ago and have not decided whether I like them enough to commit yet.
Old 07-14-21, 05:27 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

I'm trying to get new tires for my 1928 Model A. They are out of stock everywhere and the ones that are in stock are now $250-$300 each when I was originally looking in the $99/ea range.
If it's a raw material shortage, then it's worth considering the $/gram spent on eg. rubber for a bike tire, vs. a car or truck tire. Seems to me, the bike tire industry is in better shape for being able to afford and procure the rubber amounts they need, with more minimal impact to final product price (if they really had a desire to be reasonable to their customers) than the auto industry. Likewise final product weight vs shipping and distribution costs. A bike tire weighs what compared to a standard sedan tire? A standard road tire is about 10ozs; a standard car tire over 20lbs?

edit.. found this chart below. So, for argument's sake, raw rubber is up 80%. Sounds impressive, but that's just an increase of $1/kg. The rubber content in a bike tire has grown in value by about $.30

Last edited by Sy Reene; 07-14-21 at 05:54 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.