Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.3

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.3

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-21, 08:31 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12757 Post(s)
Liked 7,672 Times in 4,070 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Reminds me of this, but Senium doesn't drink enough:

Old 07-16-21, 08:35 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11960 Post(s)
Liked 6,628 Times in 3,476 Posts
Actually, it didn't remind me of that, I had to google it. LOL
You mean goggle it.
Old 07-16-21, 08:37 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I contacted cygolite they said it would be under warranty only if 1 year old and this one is 2 years old. I may try asparagus or broccoli bands. Or will try to find a code for free shipping.
I just spent $7 in shipping for a $2 part-- the 31.8mm spacer for my Barfly computer mount. I've been using a piece of innertube and it works absolutely fine but my new bike came in and I just can't have something so inelegant on such a pristine machine even though literally no one will ever see it or notice it or say anything about it.
Likes For ksryder:
Old 07-16-21, 08:42 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
I just spent $7 in shipping for a $2 part-- the 31.8mm spacer for my Barfly computer mount. I've been using a piece of innertube and it works absolutely fine but my new bike came in and I just can't have something so inelegant on such a pristine machine even though literally no one will ever see it or notice it or say anything about it.
High toned problem, right there.
Old 07-16-21, 08:43 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I'm confident that you can hang in there.
I'm definitely strong enough to hold on to wheels at that speed under steady effort, but this is on metro area streets and I expect that there would be plenty of slow-downs and surges.

Originally Posted by phrantic09
How much climbing?
Not familiar with the course (it recently changed), but the old course had no real climbing but it did have some kickers that could leave me gapped if I didn't plan accordingly.
Old 07-16-21, 08:44 AM
WhyFi

Sometimes, you just gotta do it.
Old 07-16-21, 08:49 AM
ksryder

Originally Posted by genejockey
Back when my Dad was 91, we were visiting. It was summer in PA, one of those 90 degree days with high humidity where simply walking to the car leaves you bathed in sweat. We were all in the house, hanging out as close to an air conditioner as we could. I had a question for Dad, so I looked for him all over the house, but couldn't find him. I walked out the the garden - which you can't see from the house - and there he was, in 90 degree heat, on his hands and knees, weeding the garden by hand.

He was one tough old bird, my Dad.
My grandpa was a farmer on the high plains his whole life other than the 3 years he spent fighting the Germans. Later in life he moved into town and my uncle ran the farm but Grandpa still worked on it every day. My uncle would frequently get calls that his 89-year-old father was out in the north pasture on top of the windmill fixing it.

In his late 90s he ultimately had to go into assisted living and he went downhill shortly after that and passed. We all think that once he couldn't work on the farm any more he just kind of was done with life.

Grandma went shortly after. Same thing, really.
Likes For ksryder:
Old 07-16-21, 08:49 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11394 Post(s)
Liked 4,736 Times in 2,758 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Well done.

I first saw "high toned" in a Stephen King book. It stuck with me ever since.
Old 07-16-21, 08:58 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28590 Post(s)
Liked 1,855 Times in 1,317 Posts
Sounds like you need to get out more.
Maybe.
Old 07-16-21, 09:07 AM
ksryder

Originally Posted by WhyFi
The other day, on an early morning ride, I had a flyby with a pretty fast guy that occasionally rides with my group. Afterwards, he reached out and invited me out to a fast kids ride that happens weekly at the crack o' dawn. I looked at his ride and saw that they averaged 24+ on the course. I've been curious about this ride, and I'll probably take him up on it some time this summer (there is a bit of a conflict as it takes place the morning after my regular group ride night), but jeezuz do I anticipate some pain before being spit out the back.
I'm still salty about how Strava nerfed the flyby feature. It was fun looking at how my ride intersected with other people and I've made a few acquaintances and riding buddies with it. It was especially fun on long gravel races -- nothing like comparing how my ride stacks up with Ted King (hint, it doesn't.)

There's a whole big long article on DCRainmaker about it but basically someone on Twitter complained about it being a security and privacy risk, it went viral, and so Strava nuked it and made it an opt-in feature without telling anyone. (I think the security and privacy concerns are valid but there were other solutions and also the thing the guy was complaining about wasn't even a Flyby feature, it was a privacy settings feature.)

Oh well when something is free you're the product and all that. I still use it to log my miles but the social aspect, which I was never that invested in, has definitely lost its shine.
Old 07-16-21, 09:10 AM
ksryder

Originally Posted by LAJ
Well done.

I first saw "high toned" in a Stephen King book. It stuck with me ever since.
OK this is going to bug me because there's a song that uses "high toned" in the lyrics and I'm sure it's semi-famous but I can't for the life of me remember. Probably some country song complaining about city folk.
Old 07-16-21, 09:12 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,183 Times in 2,225 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
Bin the bike, creaky BB

?
That is not the correct answer.

Then I would only be down to one bike, which is absurd, and when I got another bike I would only be at 2 bikes.

Creaky BB is a problem with the BB not the bike right? Really sad if my china wheels lived longer than my cervelo frame, just saying.
Old 07-16-21, 09:13 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

I'm still salty about how Strava nerfed the flyby feature. It was fun looking at how my ride intersected with other people and I've made a few acquaintances and riding buddies with it. It was especially fun on long gravel races -- nothing like comparing how my ride stacks up with Ted King (hint, it doesn't.)

There's a whole big long article on DCRainmaker about it but basically someone on Twitter complained about it being a security and privacy risk, it went viral, and so Strava nuked it and made it an opt-in feature without telling anyone. (I think the security and privacy concerns are valid but there were other solutions and also the thing the guy was complaining about wasn't even a Flyby feature, it was a privacy settings feature.)

Oh well when something is free you're the product and all that. I still use it to log my miles but the social aspect, which I was never that invested in, has definitely lost its shine.
And, every time I pull it up (on the web) that annoying pop-up box appears.
Old 07-16-21, 09:15 AM
WhyFi

Yeah, I'm a little miffed over that, too. I used to use it pretty regularly; whenever I saw someone on the road that seemed like-minded, I'd see if they were on FlyBy so that I could see where they were riding. I expanded my routes/riding area quite a bit doing that, but now I'm lucky if I see 10 people in the FlyBy on a given ride.
Old 07-16-21, 09:17 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12757 Post(s)
Liked 7,672 Times in 4,070 Posts
OK this is going to bug me because there's a song that uses "high toned" in the lyrics and I'm sure it's semi-famous but I can't for the life of me remember. Probably some country song complaining about city folk.
Sorry, too busy trying to figure out the beginning of Thunder Road

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...ad-waves-sways
Old 07-16-21, 09:42 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
In light of the winter storm aftermath, and other things that can’t be discussed here, currently seems more likely than not that we’ll be leaving the nation of Texas next year. Raleigh and Saratoga Springs are the current front-runners.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 07-16-21, 09:44 AM
Mojo31
-------

George Strait - High Toned Woman
Dolly Parton - A Lil' Ole Bitty Pissant Country Place
Barry Manilow - Never Met a Man I Didn't Like
Various artists - My Baby Just Cares for Me

Pick one
Old 07-16-21, 09:45 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts

I still don’t really understand the Strava privacy hand-wringing. Voting and real estate records make your name and address public already.
Old 07-16-21, 09:46 AM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
In light of the winter storm aftermath, and other things that can’t be discussed here, currently seems more likely than not that we’ll be leaving the nation of Texas next year. Raleigh and Saratoga Springs are the current front-runners.
Has been the subject of more than one discussion with my wife lately. Unfortunately, kids and career make me less mobile.

Not sure the Carolinas would be much different though on that topic.
Old 07-16-21, 09:47 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,183 Times in 2,225 Posts

raleigh is nice.
Old 07-16-21, 09:47 AM
Mojo31
-------

I still don’t really understand the Strava privacy hand-wringing. Voting and real estate records make your name and address public already.
Address yes, current location no.

I believe it's a location tracking thing.
Old 07-16-21, 09:49 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10413 Post(s)
Liked 11,874 Times in 6,081 Posts
Irrigation? We wouldn't have a lawn without it.
We have irrigation - can't have a lawn without it here! - but running it during Extreme Drought doesn't seem very responsible.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-16-21, 09:52 AM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by genejockey
We have irrigation - can't have a lawn without it here! - but running it during Extreme Drought doesn't seem very responsible.
Due to our soils with high plasticity levels, we have to keep the soil around our slab foundations uniformly moist year round. If we don't we will have big problems with foundation stability.

There are often watering restrictions in place during summer months in this area, although the perimeter of your house is exempted.
Old 07-16-21, 09:53 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Raleigh and Saratoga Springs are the current front-runners.
One of those is way more than the other.
Old 07-16-21, 09:54 AM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8826 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,729 Posts
Georgia bridges are garbage. Arkansas bridges are garbage.

Velo Vol is trapped.

https://www.11alive.com/video/news/l...16?jwsource=cl
is Memphis still in Tennessee?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.