Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Converting old Peugeot shifters

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 07-16-21, 03:52 PM
edwardsmarkf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

hello -

i have a beloved 43-year-old Peugeot 10-speed and its a wonderful bike!

the only aspect i dislike is the shifters. they are located pretty low on the frame so i have to take my hands off the handlebars to shift.

so i am thinking this might be worth a go (attached photo below).

since its a French bike, i have been warned parts often can be a problem, but so far i have not had any issues, except for the gooseneck (and there is a long story on that one getting it replaced...)

any tips, advice or suggestions about upgrading the shifters to be more accessible? i would prefer to get the shifters alongside the brakes.

yes its an OLD bike, and others have advised me to lift up the seat, wheel a new bike underneath it, set the seat down on the new bike, and call it a day. but i like my old Peugeot. its like an old friend to me.

(here is what i am looking at - sorry i am not YET allowed to post links)
URL: tinyurl[dot]com[slash]8jkbrwbv
Old 07-16-21, 04:02 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Here is my 1970 UO-8. When I originally built it for my wife from a bare frame, I chiseled off the right side downtube shifter mount and installed the cable stop. When she wanted a mountain bike instead, I recommissioned the Peugeot as my beater/commuter and switched to the barcons shown. Highly recommended.

My UO-8 with barcon cables routed between the rack and the cylindrical Bellwether front bag.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 07-16-21, 04:04 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 781 Posts
No.

What you may find that will work and not have your hands so far are

a) stem shifters
b) bar-end shifters

and you are likely to find those not so dear as those Campagnolo Ergopower bits.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 07-16-21, 09:32 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26374 Post(s)
Liked 10,341 Times in 7,185 Posts
tinyurl.com/8jkbrwbv
Old 07-16-21, 09:41 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26374 Post(s)
Liked 10,341 Times in 7,185 Posts
...as stated above, those won't work for you. The "ten speed" designation on those is for ten cogs in the back, not the five in the back you have on your old Peugeot.
And the spacing distance between the cogs is different on your bike, from what that one will work on. Also as stated, these are usually converted with bar end shifters, but stem shifters will also work.

By far the best shifting bar end shifters are the old Suntour ratcheting ones, which show up used all over the place. You can also search them out on e-bay.
They are not that difficult to install yourself, but from the nature of your inquiry I suggest you might consider farming the job out to a local bike mechanic.

Vintage Suntour Bar End Ratchet shift levers GC to VGC *
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 07-17-21, 02:05 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 937 Posts
There are three relatively easy ways to go.

Thumb shifters from a mountain bike (these will work on any kind of handlebar, I just chose to change bars)...

Stem shifters but you still have to take your hands off of the handlebar (sorry, never took a picture of this set-up as I really don't like stem shifters, but I do have a set that I could part with)...

Or, my favorite, Barcons (think there is a set for sale on the For Sale forum right now...

You will also need a down tube cable guide for any of the above suggestions...
Old 07-17-21, 04:49 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5885 Post(s)
Liked 3,468 Times in 2,078 Posts
Bar end shifters are the way to go.

https://velo-orange.com/products/dia...r-end-shifters
Likes For bikemig:
Old 07-17-21, 05:15 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 3,379 Times in 2,044 Posts
https://www.gevenalle.com/product/audax/
Old 07-17-21, 10:45 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3580 Post(s)
Liked 3,391 Times in 1,927 Posts
Those Ergopower levers you are considering are probably the most extensive/expensive way to modify your bike in the way you desire. Not only would they cost you $110 just for the levers, but you'd also have to buy a new rear wheel, 10-speed cassette, and rear derailleur to work with those levers. And modify the rear frame spacing to fit the new wheel.

Far better, as others suggest, to get either stem mounted or handlebar end shift levers and continue using your current derailleurs and wheels.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 07-17-21, 10:59 AM
edwardsmarkf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by oneclick
No.

What you may find that will work and not have your hands so far are

a) stem shifters
b) bar-end shifters

and you are likely to find those not so dear as those Campagnolo Ergopower bits.
OneClick: are you saying my idea will not work? you did present two excellent options for sure and i will consider them,

my hope to have the really slick convenient shifters if that is possible, even if i spend a bit of $$$ ("not so dear" - guessing that means 'cheaper'??😁 )
Old 07-17-21, 11:17 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2356 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 1,187 Posts
The convenient shifters you speak of are called integrated shifters, or brifters. They are, by definition, indexed, and to my knowledge, there are no brifters that would calibrate to the spacing of your existing freewheel. Not to mention your rear derailleur will probably not work well with indexing. That's why the suggestions above have been for thumb or bar-end shifters. They're either friction shifters, or can be used as friction shifters.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 07-17-21, 11:21 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by edwardsmarkf
OneClick: are you saying my idea will not work? you did present two excellent options for sure and i will consider them,

my hope to have the really slick convenient shifters if that is possible, even if i spend a bit of $$$ ("not so dear" - guessing that means 'cheaper'??😁 )
Correct. The url you posted will not work. It is for a 10speed rear derailleur and indexed for that.
You need a friction shifter of some type.

If you want the modern brake shifter combo the Gevenalle linked above is probably your shifter.
I watched a review and it can be switched to friction shifter mode- and that’s the only reason it would work for you. I know hardly anything about road bikes, but I think friction shifting brifters are rare.

My wife has an old Schwinn with stem shifters. They work fine. She now rides a better bike so eventually I might steal the parts off that bike to build something else.

RandyJawa and 3alarmer are setting you straight.
Old 07-17-21, 12:38 PM
edwardsmarkf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ok thank you all - ok maybe i am the first stubborn guy around to get an idea "stuck" in my head....

but definitely now either the stem shifters or bar-end shifters are the way to go.

so, if i ever want to fulfill my dream of shifting at the brakes, it sounds as if the best option there is a new bike.

i am OK doing some minor modifications, but i really dont have the proper tools or patience to do much else.

side-note: the Peugeot gooseneck broke off in 1994 since i had the handlebars set too high. that summer my wife and i were traveling to Normandy for the 50 year anniversary of the d-day landing. i took the broken gooseneck with me and bought the replacement one there. and i had LOTS of fun trying to get that through airport security on the way back! airport security did not understand what it was, so i had to draw them a picture of a bike.
Old 07-17-21, 12:54 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5885 Post(s)
Liked 3,468 Times in 2,078 Posts
ok thank you all - ok maybe i am the first stubborn guy around to get an idea "stuck" in my head....

but definitely now either the stem shifters or bar-end shifters are the way to go.

so, if i ever want to fulfill my dream of shifting at the brakes, it sounds as if the best option there is a new bike.

i am OK doing some minor modifications, but i really dont have the proper tools or patience to do much else.

side-note: the Peugeot gooseneck broke off in 1994 since i had the handlebars set too high. that summer my wife and i were traveling to Normandy for the 50 year anniversary of the d-day landing. i took the broken gooseneck with me and bought the replacement one there. and i had LOTS of fun trying to get that through airport security on the way back! airport security did not understand what it was, so i had to draw them a picture of a bike.
Fun story. You can set up the bike to shift at the brakes.

https://www.gevenalle.com/product/audax/

There are other solutions but this is one. Looks to be out of stock.

Shimano makes 2 x 7 brifters that you can track down. There are Shimano clone brifters as well. You'll need a shimano compatible 7 speed freewheel and a shimano rear derailleur (or a RD compatible with shimano indexing).

Last edited by bikemig; 07-17-21 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-17-21, 01:06 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

A few friends and I were at the cemetery at 1700. The retired Army SGM who was the groundskeeper asked us to fold the flag with him. Folding the flag in Normandy hearing retreat. Memorable experience.
Old 07-17-21, 01:25 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

That would also be a memorable experience. Surprised before 9/11 they made a big deal about it.

My only significant airport experience pre 9/11 was leaving my travel orders in my duffel bag that got checked baggage. I was barely 18 and knew nothing about customs. The customs guy in Frankfurt basically gave me a stern face, said don’t do that again, and waved me through.

Sorry for the thread derail.
Old 07-17-21, 03:38 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 229 Posts
Here are my thoughts.
First, don't grind or chisel off the down tube shifter boss that came with the simplex down tube shifter. Remove the shift levers and mount these cable stops to the clamp .

if you aren't a diehard racer wannabe, ditch the drop bars and put a nice set of north road or other riser bars on the bike. you will probably be much more comfortable .

Now replace the rear freewheel with a 5 6 or 7 speed Shimano Hyper glide or cheep copy with ramps built in. You can keep your derailleurs if you want to of replace with quality Suntour units or newer Shimano ones depending on how much you want to spend.

Next, get the Suntour thumbies shown above. they are in my opinion the best ones ever made. If you don't have any money buy a pair of Sunrace friction thumbies, they are cheap and work well.

Do all the above and you will have a bike that is comfortable to ride, shifts as well or better than an indexed system , costs much less, and is basically bomb proof as nothing will ever go out of adjustment.

The reason I say better than indexing is , with a close ratio freewheel all it takes is a gentle nudge on the shift lever to shift up or down . The hyperglide freewheel automatically pushes the chain to the next cog . also it is simple to go from low to high gear without having to ratchet through the gears one at a time. just slam the lever over and there you are.

Regarding the stem shifters, The Suntour ratchet version is a good product, as good or better than any of the other choices, but the thumb shifters are far better since you don't have to take your hands off the grips or eyes off the road to shift. If all you have ever had is the stem shifters you get used to them but once you have the thumbies you will never want to go back. Just make sure that the bars you choose have room on the straight part for the grips, shifters, and brake levers. some with short straight sections don't.

Last edited by capnjonny; 07-17-21 at 03:44 PM.
Likes For capnjonny:
Old 07-17-21, 04:30 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 937 Posts
Short of Brifters, my absolute favorite shifter are these indexed Barcons that I installed on my Jamaica Bianchi. They work flawlessly and are very easy (safe) to use. Mine are seven speed but pretty sure that a six speed set could be found. Also, they can be used in indexed or friction mode with a simple twist of the switch...