terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,435 Times in 1,737 Posts
Smoke Season

The first big fires of the season are upon us, and the smoke is getting thicker.

With the current drought and heat, this season could be a doozy.

NOAA-HRRR Smoke

Old 07-01-21, 09:26 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
Our fire season hasn't come yet. But, we've had a very HOT June, so it is a concern.

I just hope the 4th of July celebrations don't get out of control. We need to just stop making fire and rockets for the 4th.

Fortunately I have my COVID mask. A few tweaks, and it will be ready to go!!!

I'm busy working on cleanup around the house.
Old 07-01-21, 09:43 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 88 Posts
For the time being, the wind direction has been SW, so let's hope it continues. Once we get the offshore flow, all of that smoke will be coming right down on top of us. Those fires up north, even into BC will be getting way worse before they get better, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the continued robust marine layer and onshore winds. Also have to hope for a few systems to move through the area and help extinguish some of the fires, not likely in CA, but possible in the PNW and BC.

I was able to buy a case of N95 "cool flow" valved masks. These work better than standard N95's for riding, and are more easily available now that people aren't hoarding them for Covid. Last year I had a couple of old ones I used over and over, they got pretty crusty by the end of the season lol.

Sad that there is now a reliable "fire/smoke" season in which the air quality is downright dangerous for 3-4 months every year...
Old 07-15-21, 12:00 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

The one in Oregon is absolutely monstrous! Imagine if we get offshore winds, ugh! The marine influence this year has been very impressive, apart from a few (extreme) heatwaves, this summer has been mostly pleasant in the immediate Bay Area. Fingers crossed!
Old 07-17-21, 12:55 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4310 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,601 Posts
Death cancelled this morning. Riders and locals evacuated overnight for big fire.

Fueled by extremely dry conditions, the fire — burning in mountainous terrain — grew from around 500 acres to 1,600 acres by 8 p.m. Friday and to 6,600 acres by day break, according to Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest rangers.

Highways 88, 89 and 4 have been closed in the fire area. By 7:45 a.m., the blaze was 6 miles south of Markleeville and advancing quickly. At least three structures have burned.

Last edited by DiabloScott; 07-17-21 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-19-21, 02:26 PM
sanmateoclimber

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Death cancelled this morning. Riders and locals evacuated overnight for big fire.
I spent the weekend camping on a reservoir off of Route 4 on the other side of Ebbett's pass from this (Tamarack fire.) The smoke and pyrocumulonimbus cloud were impressive to see up close, in part because it would change dramatically throughout the day/weekend as the fire grew in different areas and the smoke shifted with changing winds. Spending the weekend puttering around on a beautiful Sierra reservoir while a huge fire rages in the distance was... very on brand for 2021.

So glad we made it through last night's red flag warning without much action around the bay! ...For now...
Likes For sanmateoclimber:
Old 07-19-21, 03:11 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
We were in Tahoe this weekend and got a spectacular view of the pyrocumulonimbus from Ellis Peak. Lucky for the folks at the lake that the wind pushed all the smoke NE. Not so lucky for folks in Reno, as we discovered on Sunday when we walked around the UNR campus.

Last edited by caloso; 07-19-21 at 09:08 PM.
Likes For caloso:
Old 07-19-21, 09:06 PM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
purple air
Old 08-03-21, 09:52 PM
cthenn

Thank goodness the winds are still onshore! Once September hits, everything will reverse and we'll be in proper smoke season...unfortunately this looks to be a realible reality for a few months every year for the foreseeable future.
Old 08-05-21, 07:23 PM
cthenn

Tomorrow it starts...smoke is forecast for the Bay Area, as winds will be out of the north. F this!
Old 08-06-21, 07:10 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,435 Times in 1,737 Posts
Smoke forecast for today (2021-08-06). Not pretty:

https://hwp-viz.gsd.esrl.noaa.gov/smoke/#

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 08-06-21, 01:23 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked 500 Times in 317 Posts
Smoke smell very obvious here in the east bay. Lucky I’m back home now. Hiding inside now.
Old 08-06-21, 04:36 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4310 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,601 Posts
Yeah, Bay Area has been lucky up til now... that's over for sure.
Old 08-06-21, 04:40 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Sensors all in the red in Sacramento now.
Old 08-18-21, 06:44 PM
stephr1

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
I'm over on the peninsula just south of Palo Alto. Out on a ride at sunup this morning and the sun was a beautiful, intense orange with a good hint of red. Slight smell of smoke in the air for the first time. Timing isn't too bad. I have some work on my bike I need to do. Now I don't have to feel guilty about missing my rides during the week.

A friend's nephew started a thru-hike of the PCT back in May. He's had to skip a bunch of miles of the PCT due to the fires in CA. He's up near Bend, OR now and has been OK until he makes it another 10-20 mi. north. Then he has to side-step again. Have no idea what he's in for in WA

People use to laugh when I told them Calif. has 4 seasons: Rainy, fire, mudslides and earthquakes (this last one isn't quite as seasonal as the other 3)

Holy burning embers.....
Old 08-18-21, 06:56 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 158 Posts
Can't see the hills from our home in Napa Valley. Getting tired of breathing the smoky air I haven't yet but tomorrow I will wear my N95 mask for a ride and see how
it goes.

cthenn, thanks for the info on the masks with a valve. I will see if I can find some.

Between the pandemic and the smoky air we almost need to wear the flippln masks all the time
Likes For frogman:
Old 08-19-21, 06:18 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by frogman
Can't see the hills from our home in Napa Valley. Getting tired of breathing the smoky air I haven't yet but tomorrow I will wear my N95 mask for a ride and see how it goes
last year I rode with a thin sleeve

it served double duty on dusty roads

but it does restrict airflow, for example when climbing hills or sprinting

I was glad to ditch it this year. you guys have my sympathies
Old 08-19-21, 11:44 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 205 Posts
Originally Posted by frogman
Can't see the hills from our home in Napa Valley. Getting tired of breathing the smoky air I haven't yet but tomorrow I will wear my N95 mask for a ride and see how
it goes.

cthenn, thanks for the info on the masks with a valve. I will see if I can find some.

Between the pandemic and the smoky air we almost need to wear the flippln masks all the time
Same here, I can normally see Skyline park out the kitchen window. Now it's just grey.

I'm just back from 2 weeks with family in Ireland. It rained each day, but never so weather would have stopped me riding. Now I'm back in CA and smoke is going to keep me indoors until it rains again.
Old 08-20-21, 02:12 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10242 Post(s)
Liked 11,594 Times in 5,942 Posts
Woke up this morning to the whole Peninsula covered in yellow dots on Purple Air. Uniformly in the mid 60s, it seemed. The last 3 hours, it's been fun checking in every half hour or so and seeing the air clear from the West, starting in HMB, and then the hills, and finally moving through the Crystal Springs Gap and pushing into San Mateo.

Another BFer and I have a Classic and Vintage focused ride scheduled for tomorrow morning (anyone with any bike invited!), so we'll see how things look. We agreed that we'd call it off if any sensor on the route is registering >100.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-20-21, 02:53 PM
stephr1

Originally Posted by genejockey
Woke up this morning to the whole Peninsula covered in yellow dots on Purple Air. Uniformly in the mid 60s, it seemed. The last 3 hours, it's been fun checking in every half hour or so and seeing the air clear from the West, starting in HMB, and then the hills, and finally moving through the Crystal Springs Gap and pushing into San Mateo.

Another BFer and I have a Classic and Vintage focused ride scheduled for tomorrow morning (anyone with any bike invited!), so we'll see how things look. We agreed that we'd call it off if any sensor on the route is registering >100.
It looks like those winds will clear out the Bay Area by tomorrow morning so your ride can go as planned.

I postponed my ride this morning since I was out around 5:30AM (for other things) and the air was already brown with the sun struggling to peak through, and it was less overcast and more smoke (cough, cough).

Intending to do a hike in the Santa Cruz Mtns. on Sun. AM and it looks good for then, as well.
Old 08-20-21, 05:26 PM
cthenn

Thankfully, we've had a relentless onshore wind at the coast and inner bay regions. I live over the hill, and we've been stuck in the mid 100's this week, whereas on the other side of the Caldecott, the numbers have been in the 60'ish range. I moved my usual after work Diablo ride to the Berkeley Hills, and it was much better. Very cool and breezy, it was actually nice to ride on that side of the hill during the week in the evening. Fingers crossed that the bike thefts over there have subsided, it was definitely on my mind with so much less traffic (although there were still plenty of speeding commuters!)

So far we've been slightly lucky compared to last year, even with the smoke we're getting now, it's not in the red zone too much (yet).
Old 08-21-21, 07:30 AM
stephr1

Originally Posted by stephr1
It looks like those winds will clear out the Bay Area by tomorrow morning so your ride can go as planned.

I postponed my ride this morning since I was out around 5:30AM (for other things) and the air was already brown with the sun struggling to peak through, and it was less overcast and more smoke (cough, cough).

Intending to do a hike in the Santa Cruz Mtns. on Sun. AM and it looks good for then, as well.
Well, those plans were short-lived. It's 6:30AM and looks like AQI is already 100+ in the south county and where I wanted to go hiking. Too old to risk doing any more damage to my lungs (considering what my dad's smoking did to me growing up Maybe tomorrow will be better.

Stay safe and healthy everyone.....
Old 08-21-21, 08:04 AM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 926 Times in 593 Posts
Originally Posted by stephr1
Well, those plans were short-lived. It's 6:30AM and looks like AQI is already 100+ in the south county and where I wanted to go hiking. Too old to risk doing any more damage to my lungs (considering what my dad's smoking did to me growing up Maybe tomorrow will be better.

Stay safe and healthy everyone.....
Yeah and I thought they said it was going to be gone by last night. We're already over 100 here!! Be safe!
Old 08-21-21, 09:15 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

I checked last night before bed, and it was rising.

Old 08-22-21, 04:10 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

GORGEOUS day for riding on the Peninsula today!!! AQIs in the single digits a lot of the way (LRAPA-adjusted), high altitude smoke gone, not too warm. I'm learning to treasure these days, since they may be rare for the next couple months.

Likes For genejockey:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.