Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cycling friend collided with deer !

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycling friend collided with deer !

Old 07-27-21, 12:40 PM
gravelschlub

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Funny, my neighbor got t-boned by a deer while out riding this morning. He was okay, just some road rash from the crash and a sore jaw from what he thinks was the deer’s head. This was on a bike trail just outside town— Gallup path down by Parker Mill for you familiar with A2— so he was probably fortunate it didn’t happen on a roadway. Deer are thick as thieves in Ann Arbor, and out n’ about in plain sight even during the day. It’s kinda weird.
If only something could be done about all the deer in A2 - something like a cull...

...wait a minute...
Likes For gravelschlub:
Old 07-27-21, 12:43 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by gravelschlub
If only something could be done about all the deer in A2 - something like a cull...

...wait a minute...
Hey! No politics in this forum! 😉
Old 07-27-21, 12:44 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by idk what to say
how can you manage to hit a deer with a bike? like acc lol
They manage to hit you. See the difference? Maybe not.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 07-27-21, 12:49 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I was descending a mountain in California some years ago at sunset and an elk jumped over the road right in front of my eyes. I can still see the rack, it was right in front of my eyes. I see deer on almost every ride that I do. Sunrise and sunset are the most dangerous because that is when they are moving to or from where they "bed". During the middle of the day, they usually bed down but usually get up once to eat.
Old 07-27-21, 01:24 PM
MNebiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
The local metro bike trails run through a forest preserve, wooded parkland, and wetlands, so it's not uncommon to see deer on the trails. In the last couple week I saw several does with fawns. They are in pretty safe areas and must be used to humans on "their" trail as they usually just watch us and then amble off into the woods when we get within about 20 feet. One doe and her two fawns walked down the trail for about 50 yards with me following behind until she decided to turn into the woods. It's amazing how they can completely disappear into the woods in just a few seconds.

But about 2 years ago I was riding a trail on a side slope with tall brush up close to the trail edge when a buck jumped across the trail from the high side right in front of me. I never saw him coming. He was about level with my shoulders - if I had been five feet further down the trail he would have taken me right off the bike. Later that year another buck did the same, but he was about 25 feet ahead of me that time.

My worst deer scare was several years ago. We lived near a county park that was home to a large deer population. They would come out of the park at night to graze in the surrounding farm fields. Driving home from work in the dark, freezing rain, hilly blacktop country road covered with ice. I'm in a pickup truck with no traction, easing it home at maybe 20 miles an hour when my lights picked up a buck with five or six does starting up the shoulder of the road in a line. There was no way I could stop the truck, and with them strung out in a line it would have been like trying to drive through a picket fence. I started tapping the horn and the buck stopped dead still on the shoulder and looked at me. I went past him with us staring at each other, then the whole string crossed behind me. Slow enough speed that it would not have been a big impact, but I'm sure the truck would have spun on the ice and wound up down the embankment somewhere with me hanging on.
Old 07-28-21, 07:08 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
They need to move the deer crossing signs to spots where there's less traffic so there won't be so many vehicle/deer collisions.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 07-28-21, 07:52 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
They need to move the deer crossing signs to spots where there's less traffic so there won't be so many vehicle/deer collisions.
I am assuming you've heard the famous audio of the woman who called into a radio show complaining about the location of deer crossing signs.

One of favorite wildlife signs was in VT. I think it was around the top of Brandon Gap. We passed it crossing the country. It read something like "Moose Crossing Next 1250 Feet." I don't recall the exact number, but we were scratching our heads over how the number was arrived at. Did someone go out, observe where moose crossed and then take a measurement? Would the average driver be able to tell when they have gone 1250' and are thus no longer in the danger zone? And would you trust moose to follow the rules? I hear they can be quite stubborn.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-28-21, 05:33 PM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I am assuming you've heard the famous audio of the woman who called into a radio show complaining about the location of deer crossing signs.
Yeah, that's what I was getting at.

Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 07-28-21, 06:27 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,825 Times in 2,228 Posts
Bambi needs some love. It was their land long before cyclists (and motorists) arrived.
Ya just gotta think like a deer ... put yourself in their hooves.
"Hey everybody - which way ya think that cyclist will go? Speeding on our trail. Oughta be over on the highway!"

Silver lining = at least the cyclist did not run into a herd of elk. Much tougher hide.
Old 07-28-21, 06:57 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Wildwood

Silver lining = at least the cyclist did not run into a herd of elk. Much tougher hide.
And much larger. Had a herd of cow elk with calves stampede across the road in front of me in Montana in 2019. I knew they were coming so I had the chance to stop. A few days later I was pulling out of a campground just before dawn and saw a young bull elk in the road. He was relatively small but still had antlers. He ran off before I could get a photo.

Last edited by indyfabz; 07-28-21 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-28-21, 06:59 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by kahn
Rental SUV outside of Durango. It was like "what happened..." as we gasped in the airbag smoke and powder. Front end was really smashed in and deer was very dead. Next day at the rental agency, agent said you should have seen the car that hit a moose. Glad we were protected by metal and airbags. There's a section of road there that has warning lights flashing when deer come within range and trigger the sensors. We were very cautious for the rest of the trip.

There's a sign outside of Mazama, WA with yearly deer kill totals.
My kid sister has hit elk on TWO separate occasions with rental cars between Phoenix and Show Low AZ in just one year...

Folks used to do the Alaska Highway from Seattle to Alaska - you don't even want to know how many Moose get nailed on a daily basis... and they stand with bodies/bellies above eye-level if driving in a car... and they weigh two-three time what a deer weighs... Car roof caved in, etc...
Old 07-28-21, 08:44 PM
indyfabz

I rode through Mazama twice coming down from Washington Pass. Can’t remember if the sign was there way back then (‘99 and ‘00), but I can believe it. Saw deer running around Winthrop, which is the next town down WA 20.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-28-21, 08:57 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

This one? Data a decade old but from July of that year. Never saw a deer across the whole of the Great State of Washington. Luckily, I guess.
Old 07-28-21, 10:48 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I rode through Mazama twice coming down from Washington Pass. Can’t remember if the sign was there way back then (‘99 and ‘00), but I can believe it. Saw deer running around Winthrop, which is the next town down WA 20.
I just rode down Washington Pass about a month ago. We were heading over to Twisp (cheaper lodging for our own cabin with kitchen) for an event in Carlton. Friend dropped me off at the Pass and I plunged down hitting a top speed of 45mph. It was a blast until I hit Mazama where it became a blast furnace and finished in Winthrop. The friend I was with use to live in Winthrop (three blocks from "downtown") on an old apple orchard. Three or four deer were there every day. A cougar had been shot there a number of years ago.

Friends just sent me a video from their driveway in Mazama with flames roaring across the way. Terrible.

I did RAW (Ride Across WA) way back when from Puget Sound to Newport, ID over all those mt passes. I've done the pass a number of times. Screwiest was a night ride up from the east side to make breakfast at the overlook for sunrise. And twice from Mazama in snow up to the pass - quite chilly and harrowing coming down.

I am marginally saner these days.
Old 07-29-21, 12:20 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

apologies, no deer content this post. Only sharing...

... the thread's stream of pleasure. Thru the American Alps - our scenic northern roadway east to the Okanagan.

Descent going east from Washington Pass

Watch for road irregularities, .... at speed

3rd week of July, 2011

Local feel and good humor

Fly with me - early departures

edit: used to be an annual excursion, .... well, not a full century in advancing years, but doable with various auto assisted starting points.

Last edited by Wildwood; 07-29-21 at 12:26 AM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 07-29-21, 06:21 AM
indyfabz

HTFU and do it in late May fully loaded. Can't tell from the photos, but it was snowing after starting as rain before Rainy. Started from Colonial Creek Campground.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-29-21, 06:34 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
I've come near, on a few occasions over the years. Not yet had one jet into my path and strike me, thankfully. 5-10x the weight of a dog, and corners on "a dime" just as fast but with less predictability.

Condolences to your friend who got hit.
Old 07-29-21, 08:22 AM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by Wildwood
I really don't want to know what's going on there...

Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 07-29-21, 09:38 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
STRAVA IS COOL because it shows the exact data info when a wild MAMA hog ran into me resulting in 2 cracked ribs, punctured lung, cracked scapula, impact trauma to left shoulder
4/27/2020
1:25AM
Speed 20.1 mph
At mile 34 of a planned overnight 100 miler
4 very slow mile ride back home
dang! you couldn't call for transport?
Old 07-29-21, 09:40 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Yeah, that's what I was getting at.
lol omg
Old 07-29-21, 11:22 AM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
lol omg
The funny thing was that lady actually thought that the deer pay attention to the deer crossing signs. Like they're specially trained, or something.

Back in a previous life as a dispatcher, we once got a call from a woman complaining about a deer which ran across her back yard. She said, "Isn't it illegal for deer to be inside the city limits?" Sure, lady, we'll go arrest the deer for trespassing.
Old 07-29-21, 11:55 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
"Quote:
STRAVA IS COOL because it shows the exact data info when a wild MAMA hog ran into me resulting in 2 cracked ribs, punctured lung, cracked scapula, impact trauma to left shoulder
4/27/2020
Speed 20.1 mph
4 very slow mile ride back home"

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
dang! you couldn't call for transport?
Just my typical stupid older man response of a soon to be a 70yo Geezer. I did have a bicycling buddy riding with me that night who wanted to call 911 but instead I asked him to lift up the bike, hold it tilted over and then upright so I could mount and ride home while he followed.
Old 07-29-21, 12:00 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by sovende
Similar situation for me just a few days ago. Riding on the Sparta-Elroy Trail, coming “down” from the 3rd tunnel doing 17-18 mph, spotted a doe and her fawn about 25 yards ahead of me. I shouted out to get their attention and the fawn bolted right while the doe went to the left. I immediately slowed down in the event that the doe decided to follow her fawn. Fortunately, neither came back to the trail. Looking back, don’t know if it’s best to maintain speed or to slow down? Kind of a crap shoot I guess.
IMO, it's better to crash at 10 mph than 25.
Old 07-29-21, 12:37 PM
rumrunn6

asked him to lift up the bike, hold it tilted over and then upright so I could mount and ride home while he followed.
ah, OK, probably adrenaline kicking in too. but reminds me of that Monty Python skit where the guy keeps getting limbs cut off but still keeps threatening his opponent (the Black Knight?)
Old 07-29-21, 12:58 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts

4/27/2020
Speed 20.1 mph
4 very slow mile ride back home

p.s. the bike was fine!!!
As I read all the comments, I counted myself fortunate that my encounters with deer were when I was driving in cars.

But to me, a wild or feral hog in a car and especially a bicycle, would be very, very bad. They are nasty, compact, hard as a rock and fearless, not to mention can take a lot of punishment, which means they will want payback.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.