Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Importance of foot retention

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Importance of foot retention

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-21, 08:50 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
You have to follow the story here. The Sup Larry saga began with him crashing the group ride, hoping to crush the poseurs with his BSO, flip flops, jorts and no shirt. Now it has evolved. We have a love interest and the rising awareness that there might be reasons for the weird stuff that roadies do and wear. Tune in tomorrow
That’s a perfect summary.

We’ve gone down this rabbit hole of a discussion and analyzed almost every facet of the situation in question.

The best answer, for what Larry is doing, should be:

“Doesn’t really matter. Is this girl cute? Take her advice and try some clipless pedals. Might win you a few points. But if you like whatever janky pedals you have now (or maybe you’re not into girls?) then you should save your money. Maybe use it to buy a shirt.”
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 07-29-21, 08:58 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4391 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,988 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
You have to follow the story here. The Sup Larry saga began with him crashing the group ride, hoping to crush the poseurs with his BSO, flip flops, jorts and no shirt. Now it has evolved. We have a love interest and the rising awareness that there might be reasons for the weird stuff that roadies do and wear. Tune in tomorrow!
Ahhhhh I see it’s that guy! For some reason I was thinking of a different Larry, but still…..he doesn’t seem overly keen on going clipless and worth knowing that he doesn’t “need” to go clipless in order to smoke the poseurs, 😂
Old 07-29-21, 09:13 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Wait... the OP is THAT guy?

Foot retention makes no difference, he is going to crush these people no matter what he rides.

Last edited by Kapusta; 07-29-21 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-29-21, 09:14 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Larry does the road races, remember the horn honking thread

Not being clipped in would help when he inevitably goes over the top......not a hill.....but the hood, when flying thru a left sweeper stop sign. It is going to happen.
Old 07-29-21, 09:36 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
It's not gonna work out with the girl, she has a boyfriend and he is really fast. TBH im kinda in a bind because the group im riding with thinks im way stronger than I actually am, they think hybrids are slow because nobody fast rides them. Once I actually get a road bike and still get dropped ill be exposed! Kapusta for what its worth I would crush most of the people on that ride that kicked me out, but both of the fast groups have been super accepting and full of people who crush me. I've even started wearing a helmet sometimes with them and they don't even mention it, I was worried people would say passive aggressive stuff like "good to see you in a helmet!"

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 07-29-21 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-29-21, 09:48 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
It's not gonna work out with the girl, she has a boyfriend (twice her age lol) and he is really fast.
Oh, he probably thinks he's sooo cool. I bet he has some really nice clipless pedals and he pulls up really hard. [Not a euphemism; still talking about biking.]

Chicks always go for the old guy on a real road bike, wearing bike-specific attire. Bummer, man.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 07-29-21, 09:59 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Yeah he pulled up on me once after I passed him and a few others and had a chat, I said "some girls are into the whole daddy thing" and he was like "nah its not like that, she's a nice girl" then I was like "I wasn't insinuating anything man" IDK why I felt so cheeky lol, just blurted that out because I was so tired I guess.
Old 07-29-21, 10:02 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4933 Post(s)
Liked 8,074 Times in 3,816 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
Chicks always go for the old guy on a real road bike, wearing bike-specific attire.
As an old guy on a real road bike who wears bike-specific attire, this has not been my experience with chicks.
Old 07-29-21, 10:08 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by Eric F
As an old guy on a real road bike who wears bike-specific attire, this has not been my experience with chicks.
MAMILs = irresistible to nice young ladies, provided they have the right kind of pedals and can ride really fast ?
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 07-29-21, 10:11 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Yeah he pulled up on me once after I passed him and a few others and had a chat, I said "some girls are into the whole daddy thing" and he was like "nah its not like that, she's a nice girl" then I was like "I wasn't insinuating anything man" IDK why I felt so cheeky lol, just blurted that out because I was so tired I guess.
This is GOLD, Larry! Can't make this stuff up. I'm probably going to cancel my Netflix subscription and save 18 bucks per month, because your posts provide all the humor and entertainment I need. I want to go to California and just follow you around for a few days.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 07-29-21, 10:13 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4933 Post(s)
Liked 8,074 Times in 3,816 Posts
MAMILs = irresistible to nice young ladies, provided they have the right kind of pedals and can ride really fast ?
Again...This has not been my experience. It seems I'm very resistible. Maybe the issue is that I'm married.
Old 07-29-21, 10:16 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8271 Post(s)
Liked 9,024 Times in 4,468 Posts
Same here, but sometimes they buy me snacks.
Likes For big john:
Old 07-29-21, 10:24 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Larry: Hey babe! I got me some foot retention. Thanks for the tip--now I can totally pull up.

Old boyfriend dude: What? You better not be trying to pull up on my girl!

Cutie with kind of a "daddy" thing: Sorry, Larry. He pulls up too, plus he gets fully dressed before a ride. And he doesn't have DIY copper pipe aero bars. Oh, watch out! Sharp curve... Larry, you have too much speed!... Crap, he crashed again. I should have recommended a helmet.

Last edited by Broctoon; 07-29-21 at 10:27 AM.
Old 07-29-21, 10:27 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Maybe the issue is that I'm married.
Yeah, that might have something to do with it.

Originally Posted by big john
Same here, but sometimes they buy me snacks.
Say no more! Nudge-nudge. Wink-wink. Buys you snacks, so that's what the kids are calling it these days?
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 07-29-21, 11:31 AM
TX_master

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Here's how I look at it, and no I'm not drunk (just yet). But imagine a scenario where you only pedaled with one leg and the other leg contributed nothing. Doesn't actively resist or participate. This means the active leg on the downstroke must not only overcome the inherant drivetrain resistance but also the resistance of the non-participating leg, having to help propel it up on its upstroke.

The real power is in the downstroke. I would agree with others here that trying to actively propel the bike through upward pressure could lead to injuries in the hip flexors and possibly other areas. However any assistance the leg on the upstroke side can give to the leg on the downstroke side should be positive. What I mean is that when a leg gets to the bottom and begins the upstroke just remembering to pull the leg up without exerting any upward pressure on the pedal (not trying to feel like you are pulling the cleat out of the pedal), but rather just trying to unload that side should allow the leg on the downstroke to feel less resistance.

I regularly practice this on my regular morning rides and find that when I focus on it that I feel I am spinning a bit easier in whatever combination I'm in and can sometimes move to a smaller cog. But the problem for me is remembering to do it. It requires a lot of concentration and since I usually find myself thinking about work and solving the worlds problems I frequently forget and find myself back to the same leg on the upstroke not contributing as much. As long as I'm not trying to exert force on the pedal on the upstroke I am fine. Its just hard to be consistent with it.
Old 07-29-21, 11:56 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Oh, he probably thinks he's sooo cool. I bet he has some really nice clipless pedals and he pulls up really hard. [Not a euphemism; still talking about biking.]
​​​​​​I bet those pedals were making up for insecurity about not having enough chain inches.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 07-29-21, 12:11 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
​​​​​​I bet those pedals were making up for insecurity about not having enough chain inches.
< Rim Shot! >
Old 07-29-21, 01:15 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
You think he dropes the hamer and dials it up to 400 watts on her?
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 07-29-21, 01:22 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4391 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,988 Posts
Originally Posted by TX_master
Here's how I look at it, and no I'm not drunk (just yet). But imagine a scenario where you only pedaled with one leg and the other leg contributed nothing. Doesn't actively resist or participate. This means the active leg on the downstroke must not only overcome the inherant drivetrain resistance but also the resistance of the non-participating leg, having to help propel it up on its upstroke.

The real power is in the downstroke. I would agree with others here that trying to actively propel the bike through upward pressure could lead to injuries in the hip flexors and possibly other areas. However any assistance the leg on the upstroke side can give to the leg on the downstroke side should be positive. What I mean is that when a leg gets to the bottom and begins the upstroke just remembering to pull the leg up without exerting any upward pressure on the pedal (not trying to feel like you are pulling the cleat out of the pedal), but rather just trying to unload that side should allow the leg on the downstroke to feel less resistance.

I regularly practice this on my regular morning rides and find that when I focus on it that I feel I am spinning a bit easier in whatever combination I'm in and can sometimes move to a smaller cog. But the problem for me is remembering to do it. It requires a lot of concentration and since I usually find myself thinking about work and solving the worlds problems I frequently forget and find myself back to the same leg on the upstroke not contributing as much. As long as I'm not trying to exert force on the pedal on the upstroke I am fine. Its just hard to be consistent with it.
I agree with this. I have done the occasional single leg cadence drill and nearly always end up with sore hip-flexors afterward. Unweighting your legs on the upstroke makes sense, but studies have shown that it is very difficult to fully achieve when pedalling at a high power output and cadence. But I think it does go some way toward defining what is a smooth pedal stroke. You don't need foot retention to do it either.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-29-21, 01:36 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
You think he dropes the hamer and dials it up to 400 watts on her?
Oh, good heavens, I hope not. Because she sounds like a sweet young thing. Maybe he'll try to, and this will be Larry's chance to rush in and save her. Like a knight in shining armor no shirt, on his trusty steed hybrid bike with a severely bent rim.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 07-29-21, 03:09 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3659 Post(s)
Liked 5,405 Times in 2,745 Posts
Originally Posted by TX_master
... and no I'm not drunk (just yet).
Well what are you waiting for? Long and honored tradition here on BF. I figure the unofficial motto is "it's five o'clock somewhere!"
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-29-21, 03:14 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Wait!!!!....this is about the honorable pursuit of a girl? Now, I want to help.....
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 07-29-21, 03:17 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10413 Post(s)
Liked 11,874 Times in 6,081 Posts
Every time I read the title of this thread, I think, "Yes, it's really important to retain your feet!"

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-29-21, 03:20 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10413 Post(s)
Liked 11,874 Times in 6,081 Posts
Again...This has not been my experience. It seems I'm very resistible. Maybe the issue is that I'm married.
I've heard that appeals to some women. Not necessarily one's own wife, though.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-29-21, 03:22 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3659 Post(s)
Liked 5,405 Times in 2,745 Posts
Yes! I'm going to send him some ankle socks, a mirror and a polka dot jersey (sleeveless) size XXL. Who else can help?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.