Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike rack failure..word to the wise..

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike rack failure..word to the wise..

Old 08-01-21, 02:20 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
fishboat, I didn't even look beyond the shifter/handlebar until @trailangel made his post. I have a 2001 Poprad that has complete 6500 group set with Open Pro/Ultegra 600 wheels. When I got the bike it had the original Sora 8 speed group. I cannot remember what wheel set, I gave it to someone. If you decide you want the 4400 hood, let me know.
Old 08-01-21, 02:34 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
Originally Posted by bowwow
Your experience with the rack is certainly a misfortune. The bolt you show in the picture seems to be ok. It looks somewhat corroded but the threads do not appear to be stripped? Was there a failure on the part that the bolt screwed into?
The bolt threads into a mounting bracket underneath the fork mount. The bracket is gone..fell off. By the look(length) of the bolt..it sheared off where it threaded into the mounting bracket. If it would have happened anywhere else on the interstate I'd go look for it, but where it happened and I pulled over...not a place anyone should stop unless forced to. Scary place. I ordered a new bracket today. When it arrives I'm going to replace all the hardware in the rack and beef up mounts where I can. After that..I may sell it and join the modern world with possibly a 1UP heavy duty carrier. I wouldn't mind loading bikes without having to remove and store the front wheels.
Old 08-01-21, 02:46 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Originally Posted by trailangel
55cm is even better.... Send in mail! That's a nice bike, and I'm happy you didn't lose it.... or get smacked on the highway.
Had it gone under the car behind me(I was waiting for it to happen as I pulled over..the bike disappeared behind me and I had no idea where it was or what it was doing) I would have cried. It's a nice bike. Looks a little ratty at the moment(poor paint when I bought it), but mechanically it's great. I'm painting and building up a second Poprad right now. I found a Wayzata that was a bit neglected for $250..good components though. Once the Wayzata refurbish, conversion to Poprad, is done, this one is next.
Old 08-01-21, 02:56 PM
fishboat

Originally Posted by delbiker1
fishboat, I didn't even look beyond the shifter/handlebar until @trailangel made his post. I have a 2001 Poprad that has complete 6500 group set with Open Pro/Ultegra 600 wheels. When I got the bike it had the original Sora 8 speed group. I cannot remember what wheel set, I gave it to someone. If you decide you want the 4400 hood, let me know.
This one is a 2003 Poprad that was re-worked(& repainted?) by a bike shop owner in Grand Rapids, MI. Truativ triple crank, original Shorty cantilevers and all Ultegra after that.
Great, fast, comfortable, light all-rounder. I know, not a big deal for many folks, but I like it.
Old 08-01-21, 03:18 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 530 Posts
Glad your OK, I wouldn’t have stopped until getting to an off ramp, no bike is worth your life.
Tim
Old 08-01-21, 03:32 PM
fishboat

Originally Posted by tkamd73
Glad your OK, I wouldn’t have stopped until getting to an off ramp, no bike is worth your life.
Tim
I can't disagree..things were happening pretty fast and I didn't think things through. Once I got behind the car and secured the bike, seeing the traffic coming at me, I started to realize I was in a very bad place. In hindsight..dumb move, but it's over now.

I see you're in M-Falls. I was on 894 east of 27th street heading south right where 894-east turns south to 94..by the airport. Right on the curve..the bolt failed mid corner and I pulled over shortly after.
Old 08-01-21, 03:37 PM
bowwow

Bikes: Miyata, Bridgestone, Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Well, it bothers the hell out of me that you, or anyone else, has to replace all of the hardware on something as utilitarian as a bicycle rack. It's a sad testament to...um...something or other. At least I'm pretty sure it is.

But it is good knowing that you suffered no serious injury. Also, thank you for bringing this to our attention. I for one have learned a lot from your misfortune.

Cheers!
Old 08-01-21, 05:00 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
That spot on 894 isn't a place I'd like to stop. Was South of Madison today and the whole trip, both ways, I had to keep checking the mirror for the bike on the back. The replacement plastic covers on those shifters are also unobtanium except for the guy 3D printing them on Ebay.
Old 08-01-21, 05:58 PM
fishboat

Originally Posted by dedhed
That spot on 894 isn't a place I'd like to stop. Was South of Madison today and the whole trip, both ways, I had to keep checking the mirror for the bike on the back. The replacement plastic covers on those shifters are also unobtanium except for the guy 3D printing them on Ebay.
Yah..you can be sure when/if this rack gets back on the road it'll be as solid as the hitch it's attached to. Watching my bike flop backward and disappear was about the strangest thing I ever saw. I'll be a bit puckered and watching the rear view mirror early and often. I signed up on the waitlist-newsletter for the 1UP rack today..they're back-logged somewhere between 6 and 11 weeks. ..there's a good chance my old rack will see more use.

I went through the plastic covers thing..and bought the 3D ones on ebay. They're actually not bad(not great, but not bad, given the alternative) and they do fit. If you look up top at the shifter pics you'll see them.
Old 08-02-21, 06:50 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
What model rack is that?

I’ve never seen a hitch rack that uses a fork mount for the bike.
Old 08-02-21, 07:42 AM
fishboat

Originally Posted by Kapusta
What model rack is that?

I’ve never seen a hitch rack that uses a fork mount for the bike.
Not a clue. Thule doesn't seem to attach a model number sticker to their racks. The type (fork mount hitch carrier) I have were reasonably common about 15-20 years ago. I've been researching modern carriers. There's been ALOT of turnover in carrier design over the years.
Old 08-02-21, 08:05 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by fishboat
Not a clue. Thule doesn't seem to attach a model number sticker to their racks. The type (fork mount hitch carrier) I have were reasonably common about 15-20 years ago. I've been researching modern carriers. There's been ALOT of turnover in carrier design over the years.
The reason I ask is that the rack looks a little odd to me... like it could be someone’s DIY job. But hard to tell from pics.

Like, why would there be wing-nut style bolts holding the trays down on a rack like that? That can only fasten down in one place, and why would you ever need to take them off?

And having just a single bolt holding the trays down on both ends also seems odd. I am used to seeing that style of tray stabilized with mounts on the fork end spread a few inches apart, perpendicular to the tray. This stabilizes the bike.

Also, it looks like black part of the rack is rather heavy-duty, and the silver cross members are much smaller, and it is odd to see bolts holding them on like that... it just does not look like something that would be something Thule would design and sell.

I could be wrong, but just though I would throw that out there.

Last edited by Kapusta; 08-02-21 at 08:12 AM.
Old 08-02-21, 09:12 AM
fishboat

The reason I ask is that the rack looks a little odd to me... like it could be someone’s DIY job. But hard to tell from pics.

Like, why would there be wing-nut style bolts holding the trays down on a rack like that? That can only fasten down in one place, and why would you ever need to take them off?

And having just a single bolt holding the trays down on both ends also seems odd. I am used to seeing that style of tray stabilized with mounts on the fork end spread a few inches apart, perpendicular to the tray. This stabilizes the bike.

Also, it looks like black part of the rack is rather heavy-duty, and the silver cross members are much smaller, and it is odd to see bolts holding them on like that... it just does not look like something that would be something Thule would design and sell.

I could be wrong, but just though I would throw that out there.
It's an original Thule design. It appears it's a "Thule Rack-N-Loc Classic 938". I did replace the outboard aluminum bars that run forward and back..you see them in the pic of my carrier..the silver aluminum bars. The original ones were shorter and vinyl covered. They worked fine, but they didn't allow enough room for bikes with wide flatbars (like a mtn bike).

"Like, why would there be wing-nut style bolts holding the trays down on a rack like that? That can only fasten down in one place, and why would you ever need to take them off?"

Good questions. They're definitely not an optimal design. If I were to guess..cost containment. Use SKUs you have in stock (the trays also mount to their roof racks) and adapt them to create new products to sell...line extension with existing parts.

"And having just a single bolt holding the trays down on both ends also seems odd. I am used to seeing that style of tray stabilized with mounts on the fork end spread a few inches apart, perpendicular to the tray. This stabilizes the bike."

All the fittings are original. I just replaced the bars that support each end of the trays with longer bars(4-5" longer). The rear tray mounts are two carriage bolts that slide into a slot one the bottom of the tray. The two bolts mount through a thin plate across the silver bar. Why the hand-tightening bolts?..no clue..less than optimal.

"Also, it looks like black part of the rack is rather heavy-duty, and the silver cross members are much smaller, and it is odd to see bolts holding them on like that... it just does not look like something that would be something Thule would design and sell."

The bars I added are nearly the same dimensions as the original bars and they are solid. The original bars were hollow tubing with a black vinyl covering..something that Thule would design and sell. All the fastening hardware is original....soon to be replaced with much more stout material.

Overall it couldn't have been a terrible design as it was functioning well for nearly 20 years without issue. The fork mount mechanism on the tray (fastener) that failed looks to be in good shape. With a new bracket (on order) underneath and some new hardware it'll continue to function normally. I'm also going to replace the rear-tray mounting hardware with some aluminum or stainless bar-stock and SS bolts/locknuts.

The overall PSA message here.."..if you have an older bike carrier it may be in your best interest to take a hard look at it and replace key fastener hardware..." At least that's my take-away from this experience. Ten bucks in some stainless locknuts, washers and bolts could save you a whole lot more in grief and bikes..or bike parts..if you can find them.
Old 08-02-21, 09:51 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by fishboat
It's an original Thule design. It appears it's a "Thule Rack-N-Loc Classic 938". I did replace the outboard aluminum bars that run forward and back..you see them in the pic of my carrier..the silver aluminum bars. The original ones were shorter and vinyl covered. They worked fine, but they didn't allow enough room for bikes with wide flatbars (like a mtn bike).

That is not the same rack that you have in your pictures.

But it appears this one is. And is part of what made me suspect of the origins of yours.

I was not suggesting it was your DIY work, but that of a previous owner.

Last edited by Kapusta; 08-02-21 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-02-21, 12:10 PM
fishboat

That is not the same rack that you have in your pictures.

But it appears this one is. And is part of what made me suspect of the origins of yours.

I was not suggesting it was your DIY work, but that of a previous owner.

Yep..that's what I have/bought years ago. I'll admit, I didn't look into its pedigree when I bought it. I had no reason to suspect anything nefarious was afoot. I took it at face value and it's worked quite well.

As the title of this thread indicates..I had a failure..(I now know a corroded) bolt sheared off..and I thought it might be helpful to folks to suggest they take a hard look at their equipment and refresh some hardware if they have an old carrier, as many do.

I still think that's not a bad idea.

As for this rack.. I'll fix it with better hardware, sell it, and move on.
Old 08-02-21, 12:16 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 117 Posts
Darn, that sucks. Glad it wasn't worse though. I am very picky about the racks I use, especially since my mountain bikes are almost double the weight of my road bikes. This reminds me to make sure everything is tight and to do a once over.
Old 08-02-21, 12:52 PM
Ryno317
Member in Training

Bikes: '21 GT Aggressor Pro, '16 Norco 7.1 Storm << son's bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Man, that is my biggest fear when transport my bikes. My son and I took a 2hr trip each way yesterday to a bike park. Glad, you didn't lose your bike and hopefully can get it repaired back to new quickly.