Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cervelo Caledonia 105

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cervelo Caledonia 105

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-21, 08:20 AM
davidjaxson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Cervelo Caledonia 105

I am looking to add an endurance bike and I really like the looks of the Caledonia 105. It has a prove gearset and I have been to the LBS to check it out and the fit is fine. However, when you search the bike on the internet there is very little information to be found which is concerning. I would think that you would find at least a few comments on this particular model Caledonia. You can also find them in stock which these days is unusual.

Your input on this bike would be greatly appreciated, both pro and con. I would hate to make a purchasing mistake unnecessarily due to the fact that I didn't ask a huge knowledge base

Thanks a bunch.
Old 08-06-21, 08:31 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
It only came into existence a year ago didn't it?

Check CyclingWeekly andBikeRadarfor reviews. Also do a search on any other online bike magazine site for that bike.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-06-21, 08:39 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
In addition to being a new bike, as previously mentioned, it's also the more "budget" oriented model, so it's not going to get as much press and adoration as the more upmarket Caledonia 5. That said, it's a Cervelo and Cervelos are awesome. If it fits, you like the look of it and it's in stock, I don't think that you can go wrong.

....unless you're the kind of person that would kick yourself down the line for not spending more money and getting the Caledonia 5 with the sexy integrated cockpit.
Old 08-06-21, 10:39 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3667 Post(s)
Liked 5,420 Times in 2,756 Posts
I think it was previously called the C3. A couple of friends have those and they seem happy with them. Good tire clearance, solid specs. They may still use a press fit bottom bracket but some people don't have problems with them. Having something in stock is a real plus.
Old 08-06-21, 10:57 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I think it was previously called the C3. A couple of friends have those and they seem happy with them. Good tire clearance, solid specs. They may still use a press fit bottom bracket but some people don't have problems with them. Having something in stock is a real plus.
The Caledonia line-up is all new, and it effectively replaced the C-series, which was in that similar endurance/all-road/not-quite-gravel slot.

And yes, Cervelo is still using BBRight shells, which have ample room for quality, thread-together BBs.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-06-21, 11:23 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4399 Post(s)
Liked 4,844 Times in 2,997 Posts
I think it would be a great bike. Current 105 groupset is excellent. Reviews are usually of higher end spec versions of the bike. The frame seems well regarded as a fast endurance bike.
Old 08-06-21, 11:34 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3667 Post(s)
Liked 5,420 Times in 2,756 Posts
I'll take one in maroon/red, size 56 please.
Old 08-06-21, 01:20 PM
davidjaxson

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I'll take one in maroon/red, size 56 please.
That's the color scheme I want.
Likes For davidjaxson:
Old 08-06-21, 09:42 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 693 Posts
I had a Cervelo R3
I needed a bike of a different size
I got another R3
Im waiting for Shimano to release the new Road groupset
I can then have me yet another R3

are you seeing the trend yet.

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 08-07-21, 06:48 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
A guy on another bike site I read frequently just got a Caledonia and has zero complaints. He just got back into riding after some health stuff, so he has decades of experience but is also seeing the bike fresh and new. If there were issues he'd have shared them, and he knows enough that he would notice them.

I personally love Cervelo (even though I only ride a clone) and I don't think you could go wrong. I have certainly never heard any "It's a great bike, but .... " comments.

It is a solid endurance frame using proven and tested geometry and well-known group sets and parts, all produced by a manufacturer with a long track record of making very good bikes. Not sure where things could go that wrong.

Buy one for me (also in 56, Indigo-Walnut, Oasis, or Black, please) and I will test it for you thoroughly.

Have you read: https://www.bikeride.com/cervelo-caledonia/
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/p...ledonia-460297
https://www.bikeexchange.com/blog/20...e-what-to-know ?

Pull the trigger. It's just a bike, after all. Don't overthink it.
Old 08-07-21, 06:48 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Barry2
I had a Cervelo R3
I needed a bike of a different size
I got another R3
Im waiting for Shimano to release the new Road groupset
I can then have me yet another R3

are you seeing the trend yet.

Barry
Love my R3 and the only thing (at this point) that might tempt me in to upgrading is the integrated cockpit/cable-free look of bikes like the Caledonia 5 and Aspero 5.
Old 08-07-21, 07:03 AM
N2deep

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
I like the Cervelo but the max tire width is limited and it lacks any real shock dampening. Have you looked into the diverge or the topstone, both have a small amount of dampening and will run wider tires. I believe any real gravel bike needs to run 38’s and help smooth out those bumps on the long runs.
Old 08-07-21, 07:40 AM
davidjaxson

Originally Posted by N2deep
I like the Cervelo but the max tire width is limited and it lacks any real shock dampening. Have you looked into the diverge or the topstone, both have a small amount of dampening and will run wider tires. I believe any real gravel bike needs to run 38’s and help smooth out those bumps on the long runs.
I have a topstone 1 and it is a great bike. It's what I currently ride and also use on my wahoo kickr. Considered getting a set of road wheels and tubeless setup for it but by the time you do that you have paid for half of another topstone 1. Wo
It would also be nice to have another bike so I don't have to keep taking it off and on the trainer.
Likes For davidjaxson:
Old 08-07-21, 08:01 AM
davidjaxson

Not to send my own thread off topic but there is also a Synapse Carbon Ultegra available. It is own known excellent bike although a bit more expensive and not as pretty, IMO, as the Caledonia Would the Synapse be a smarter selection since it has a reputation for being a great endurance bike?

I do appreciate all of thoughts.
Likes For davidjaxson:
Old 08-07-21, 08:11 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 693 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Love my R3 and the only thing (at this point) that might tempt me in to upgrading is the integrated cockpit/cable-free look of bikes like the Caledonia 5 and Aspero 5.
I do like that about the S3 and i hear R3 may be going in that direction.
BUT……..
Unlike some other manufacturers, you can’t order an R3 just the way you want it.
I need a zero offset seatpost and a 100mm stem, and they don’t come that way.
Changing them is an expensive option on top of an already expensive bike.

Come on Cervelo, keep up with QR !

Barry
Old 08-07-21, 10:03 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Barry2
I do like that about the S3 and i hear R3 may be going in that direction.
BUT……..
Unlike some other manufacturers, you can’t order an R3 just the way you want it.
I need a zero offset seatpost and a 100mm stem, and they don’t come that way.
Changing them is an expensive option on top of an already expensive bike.

Come on Cervelo, keep up with QR !

Barry
That's probably going to differ from one retailer to the next. When I bought my R3 frameset from Excel, they exchanged the seat post to a zero offset for me at no charge (stem wasn't included in the frameset).
Old 08-08-21, 05:06 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
The Caledonia takes the same slot as the C had, but is quite different as mentioned, with changed geometry and bigger tire clearance. If you can swing it, have it assembled from the beginning with a one-piece bottom bracket like BBinfinite. It will also handle quite differently from the Topstone Carbon, which has rather odd geometry.

Also please note that because of the Topstone’s offset rear wheel dish, you can’t really swap wheels between the two.

I have a custom steel on order for when the new groups are available, which will be heavily cribbed from the Caledonia. If I didn’t, it would be a race between the Caledonia with a great BB or the Allied All-Road in the chameleon paint. Not cheap, but .
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 08-09-21, 07:29 PM
davidjaxson

Thank you for the input. I ordered the Caledonia 105 today. Should be a lot of fun.
Likes For davidjaxson:
Old 08-09-21, 08:14 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by davidjaxson
Thank you for the input. I ordered the Caledonia 105 today. Should be a lot of fun.
Congrats! Oh and we demand peekshures. Correctly-taken peekshures.
Old 08-10-21, 04:38 AM
davidjaxson

What constitutes coorectly taken peekshures?
Old 08-10-21, 06:50 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
Originally Posted by N2deep
Its a road bike- why is 34mm of tire clearance and no shock a drawback?
You then suggest two gravel bikes instead. You are comparing a road bike to gravel bikes. In that case, the Aspero would be something to consider since its Cervelo's gravel bike and can handle wider tires.

If you need a wider tire and suspension for a road bike, then maybe just buy a full suspension mtb can call it a day.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-10-21, 05:33 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by davidjaxson
What constitutes coorectly taken peekshures?
There’s a set of rules:
drive side
big chainring, little cog
valves at 6 o’clock
right pedal at 3 o’clock

Bonus for being in front of a white garage door.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 08-10-21, 07:09 PM
MikeEckhaus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Congrats on ordering the bike. I have a Caledonia 5 in silver with Ultegra Di2, and I love it. Came from a first generation Trek Domane, which just had the rear IsoSpeed. I didn’t like the new Domane with all the extra gimmicks, and the Caledonia was plenty endurance-ish for me while still retaining some sporty handling and zero extra gimmicks. Ordered in October, got it in March (had other bikes, so that was ok for me) and I’ve had no problems at all with the bike. I’ve done several 5+ hour rides so far, and it’s plenty comfortable for me. Hope you get yours quickly and love it.
Likes For MikeEckhaus:
Old 08-13-21, 10:42 PM
N2deep

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Its a road bike- why is 34mm of tire clearance and no shock a drawback?
You then suggest two gravel bikes instead. You are comparing a road bike to gravel bikes. In that case, the Aspero would be something to consider since its Cervelo's gravel bike and can handle wider tires.

If you need a wider tire and suspension for a road bike, then maybe just buy a full suspension mtb can call it a day.
The gentleman stated that he wanted more of an endurance bike so my mind goes to soft and more upright or a gravel type bike, thus the suggestion. Have fun..
Old 08-16-21, 05:58 PM
Bosconian83

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I just got a Caledonia 105 about 3 weeks ago and have put around 150 miles so far. I'm no expert in all the nuances of bike performances nor do I have the experience to compare it to other bikes. I have a 2011 GT GTR Series 2 Aluminum bike with the 105 groupset which I swapped the tires to 28mm, and for a starter bike, I thought it was a great bike. So, I can only compare it to that. I can tell that it doesn't feel that much different in terms of ride compliance and I expected that since they never really marketed it as such, unlike the Domane or the Synapse. But, I definitely can tell that it's faster even with its wider 30mm tires. I expend less effort and increased my speed using the same routes I've been riding. And like some have said, it's a good-looking bike, I had the red color scheme. The bottom line is, I'm really enjoying it. Down the line, I'll upgrade the seatpost to carbon and get a little compliance from it.
Likes For Bosconian83:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.