Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

I got 2 weeks in August - perhaps I'll ride the west coast

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

I got 2 weeks in August - perhaps I'll ride the west coast

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-21, 07:27 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
The height of forest fire season worries me a little bit...mostly due to the amount of pollution in the air when biking. I will have to observe how whether this season will be the first dip down from previous trend setters or whether it will continue in the upward pattern.
Old 06-14-21, 07:42 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2737 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
The height of forest fire season worries me a little bit...mostly due to the amount of pollution in the air when biking. I will have to observe how whether this season will be the first dip down from previous trend setters or whether it will continue in the upward pattern.
I can see the concern, i guess really all you can do is to keep up on the news, and also be aware / choose carefully your flight and the cost penalties for changing a flight.
I would hope that being on the coast would be a big help air quality wise, but to be honest, I sort of noticed the news last year but didn't totally keep track. I do however remember the " orange sky " thing from San Francisco, someone I knew from Montreal who moved to sf put a photo up she took.
So I guess as you say, that we hope this year isn't as bad vs the worsening trend.
Old 06-14-21, 08:04 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Yeah. My son lives in Mountain View and they fled SF area last year due to the air quality and spent 2 weeks with us here in Maine
Old 06-14-21, 08:58 AM
rmball28

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Surly Troll, Motobecane Century Ti Pro, Lynskey Urbano, Bike Friday Diamond Llama

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A useful book

Cycling the Pacific Coast: The Complete Guide from Canada to Mexico

I found the book useful.
Old 06-14-21, 10:16 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by rmball28

Cycling the Pacific Coast: The Complete Guide from Canada to Mexico

I found the book useful.
If that is the Vicky Spring book I enjoyed it for getting psyched up for the trip, but found the AC and ODOT maps more useful. If it is the Tom Thorness book I have never actually seen it. In general I find books less useful for trip planning nd awkward to use when on the trip. They can be nice to read before the trip though..
Old 06-14-21, 11:39 AM
PedalingWalrus

I find books fun when in the tent or while eating dinner in the campground. Otherwise I like to leave everything else to chance. After all it is a straight one way trajectory that we're doing so where we end up and when is up to normal daily circumstances. :-) that is the beauty of touring for me: Roam Free
Old 06-14-21, 02:10 PM
staehpj1

I find books fun when in the tent or while eating dinner in the campground. Otherwise I like to leave everything else to chance. After all it is a straight one way trajectory that we're doing so where we end up and when is up to normal daily circumstances. :-) that is the beauty of touring for me: Roam Free
On he coast it is helpful to know where the next hiker biker site or other services are, but I didn't find a book the best way to know that. History of the area and things like that maybe, but I tend to read that stuff from at home before the trip or discover it along the way from word of mouth, exhibits, plaques, museums, etc.

Not knocking it if someone else finds books useful or entertaining along the way though. I personally just don't tend to.
Old 06-14-21, 02:46 PM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
Presently most of the sate parks are open, but the showers in many of them are still closed. Hopefully this will change by August.
Why would Oregon or California parks open up showers when they are facing a desperate water shortage and a huge budgetary shortfall?
If anything, I suspect services may be further curtailed.

California State Parks have been in a multiyear cycle of budget cuts only exacerbated by the Covid shutdown.
Old 06-14-21, 02:51 PM
PedalingWalrus

we may have to do a dust bath like the pigeons do ;-)

Last edited by PedalingWalrus; 06-14-21 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-14-21, 03:00 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
I had the guidebook for Pacific Coast, we found it useful. I also sent an e-mail to OR and asked for info, they mailed their cycle map to me before I left home. I found that map very useful.

I never found a really useful California map, but the map of state park locations was the only paper California map I bothered to carry.

I did Pacific Coast seven years ago, that is the last time that I did a bike tour where there was a route, either by book or by ACA mapped route. My tours in the past seven years were routes that I cooked up by looking at some maps. Thus, no guidebooks or ACA maps available.

The exception to that would be that I rode the length of Florida Keys as part of a much bigger route, the Keys part of that tour were along an ACA mapped route, but we did not get the map. Instead I looked up the locations for Publix and Winn Dixie stores in the Keys while still at home to put in my GPS so we knew where the grocery stores would be once we got to the Keys. And the state park campgrounds were in the Open Streets basemap in my GPS.
Old 06-15-21, 10:48 AM
rmball28

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Surly Troll, Motobecane Century Ti Pro, Lynskey Urbano, Bike Friday Diamond Llama

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
If that is the Vicky Spring book I enjoyed it for getting psyched up for the trip, but found the AC and ODOT maps more useful. If it is the Tom Thorness book I have never actually seen it. In general I find books less useful for trip planning nd awkward to use when on the trip. They can be nice to read before the trip though..
It is the Thorness book. It is available on kindle and can be read on a phone so it is not too hard to read on a trip.
Old 06-15-21, 11:31 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by rmball28
It is the Thorness book. It is available on kindle and can be read on a phone so it is not too hard to read on a trip.
My Pacific Coast trip was my last tour without a dynohub. I got a bit tired of searching out nearby vacant campsites that I could plug stuff into.

Using a 3 into 1 adapter, charging up four AA NiMH batteries, a Li Ion camera battery, and the USB cable off the bottom of the photo when to my tablet.
Old 06-15-21, 11:50 AM
Tourist in MSN

If I could give you any brilliant insight on that, I would. But if it is a bad season, you might want to have a plane ticket that you can get a refund on or apply to a different trip later.

When I did my trip starting in late May and Jun, we picked that to avoid the crowds, avoid the RVs on the narrow California roads, etc. We rolled the dice in that we had a much higher probability of precipitation that early. Thus, my experience on that route is not applicable to your concern.

If you have any good friends that are in medical field or industrial, if they can get you a few N95 masks that might be a useful thing to have if it gets really smoky. But with the pandemic, those might still be in short supply.

Wearing a mask like that to keep out airborne contaminants, the mask is only as effective as the seal between your face skin and the mask. If you have a beard, you can't get a good seal between the mask and your skin. In that case you might be just as well off wearing a folded bandana mask with a few rubber bands holding it onto your face.

If it is really smoky, I hope your flashing taillights are really bright. I have ridden in fog but never in heavy smoke, knowing that I had flashers on made me less nervous.
Old 06-15-21, 02:50 PM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
If it is really smoky, I hope your flashing taillights are really bright. I have ridden in fog but never in heavy smoke, knowing that I had flashers on made me less nervous.
If there is smoke bad enough that I am worried about being seen I have long since stopped having fun due to inhaling smoke. Smoke levels that you barely notice visibly or maybe don't see at all can be pretty unpleasant. I have cut backpacking or bike trips short due to smoke a couple times. Once it was only the smoke and once it was HAPE that I suspect distant smoke (not thick enough to be visible) and the heat both contributed to. Both times were pretty miserable, both were bad for my health, and one was probably downright dangerous.
Old 06-15-21, 03:47 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2737 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
I found Guatemala especially, and Honduras too, bad for really bad smoke spewing trucks and buses, and ended up getting sick from it. Had read of other riders too experiencing this, so I sure as hell wouldn't want to be riding through the "San Francisco orange sky" thing, and can relate to how unpleasant it would be.

But honestly would have to be there in person to judge what is too much.
Old 06-15-21, 04:20 PM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by staehpj1
If there is smoke bad enough that I am worried about being seen I have long since stopped having fun due to inhaling smoke. Smoke levels that you barely notice visibly or maybe don't see at all can be pretty unpleasant. I have cut backpacking or bike trips short due to smoke a couple times. Once it was only the smoke and once it was HAPE that I suspect distant smoke (not thick enough to be visible) and the heat both contributed to. Both times were pretty miserable, both were bad for my health, and one was probably downright dangerous.
I obviously was not clear with my comment. I started to write about particulate masks, and as I was writing about particulate masks I remembered a few stories about people evacuating in heavy smoke. Nobody by choice would go biking when the smoke is so heavy that visibility is poor. But fires can move fast and if you have to evacuate, you have to go NOW. Any emergency crews will be dealing with people that have no transportation, if you can travel on a bike, you are not as critical to emergency crews as the people that have no transportation.
Old 08-23-21, 01:08 PM
TooLegit

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
Hi there. I got 2 weeks from August 5... initially I thought I would fly to Norway or Scotland or Italy but at this point I am not entirely sure if I should fly there as they still seem to require a covid test etc ... no big deal but alternatively I thought maybe I could bike to San Francisco from points North like Seattle or Eugene.

I mention Eugene because I wanted to stop at Co-Motion cycles to check on a frame order I put a deposit on but it is not entirely necessary.

Do You think Eugene to San Francisco fits the right timing for 2 weeks if I headed to the coast from Eugene and hugged it to San Fran? I suppose I can also keep going if I reached SF too soon or should I instead start from somewhere further North than Eugene?

addendum: it looks like eugene to SF is too short of a distance…maybe I should start in Seattle and see where I get
I was curious to see if this trip happened? I wonder how the fires have affected your plans.
Old 08-23-21, 02:18 PM
PedalingWalrus

I ended up circumnavigating Denmark instead.
Old 08-23-21, 02:21 PM
TooLegit

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
I ended up circumnavigating Denmark instead.
I’d take that trip over a smoky CA tour any day! That sounds awesome!
Old 08-23-21, 03:05 PM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by TooLegit
I’d take that trip over a smoky CA tour any day! That sounds awesome!
Yeah, looks like a great choice. The US West coast can be nice, but there were a number of reasons this year wasn't the best. The Denmark trip looked awesome judging by the pictures.