Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Old 08-07-21, 03:42 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
seypat can you post the day and time of the HnH please?
Also what day y'all are set to arrive.
Thanks
The ride is on Saturday August 28. I'm supposed to arrive Thursday at DFW around 6:00pm.

Patrick
Old 08-08-21, 03:56 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I'm gonna pass on the HnH this year. Neck pain is preventing longer rides -- I can manage 25-30 miles or 90-120 minutes, but that's about all. I've tried to push myself to do some longer rides, at least 50 miles this year -- including an attempt to ride from my place on the west side of Fort Worth out to Mineral Wells and back last weekend. But it's no-go. I can manage about two hours in the saddle before neck spasms force me to quit. If I'm gonna do the HnH, I want to do the full ride.

At this point the only way I could manage is with a soigneur on call. It's not too bad if I stop every hour or so to stretch, massage, etc., but at that rate I'd miss the cutoff time for finishing the full century.

I'm gonna call my health care provider next week and see about anti-inflammatory injections for the neck and injured shoulder. But the pandemic has delayed most non-urgent care. And I suspect they'll be more cautious about neck injections than shoulder. Last time I had an anti-inflammatory injection in the shoulder, the ortho doc did it on the spot during a routine checkup. But I doubt they'll treat the neck the same way.
Old 08-08-21, 04:02 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by canklecat
I'm gonna pass on the HnH this year. Neck pain is preventing longer rides -- I can manage 25-30 miles or 90-120 minutes, but that's about all. I've tried to push myself to do some longer rides, at least 50 miles this year -- including an attempt to ride from my place on the west side of Fort Worth out to Mineral Wells and back last weekend. But it's no-go. I can manage about two hours in the saddle before neck spasms force me to quit. If I'm gonna do the HnH, I want to do the full ride.

At this point the only way I could manage is with a soigneur on call. It's not too bad if I stop every hour or so to stretch, massage, etc., but at that rate I'd miss the cutoff time for finishing the full century.

I'm gonna call my health care provider next week and see about anti-inflammatory injections for the neck and injured shoulder. But the pandemic has delayed most non-urgent care. And I suspect they'll be more cautious about neck injections than shoulder. Last time I had an anti-inflammatory injection in the shoulder, the ortho doc did it on the spot during a routine checkup. But I doubt they'll treat the neck the same way.
Maybe next year, then. Is that old, big hotel still standing in Mineral Wells? I can't remember the name, but it was famous BITD.

Edit: I think it's this one.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baker_Hotel_(Mineral_Wells,_Texas)

Last edited by seypat; 08-08-21 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08-08-21, 07:57 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by seypat
Maybe next year, then. Is that old, big hotel still standing in Mineral Wells? I can't remember the name, but it was famous BITD.

Edit: I think it's this one.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bake...l_Wells,_Texas)
Yeah, the Baker Hotel is still there, an abandoned shell. Every few years someone announces grand plans for revitalizing and reopening the hotel. Same again a couple of years ago, by a young local guy who's a photographer and journalist, in the "town boosterism" sense. But the stagnant economy and pandemic makes it unlikely the hotel will reopen in any significant way.

The problem with a limited re-opening -- say, just the ground floor -- means dealing with the complications from the entire deteriorating building: vermin, leaks, vandalism and theft, etc. It's an all or nothing proposition. No point in trying to open just the ground floor as a sort of museum, gift shop, tourist attraction, etc.

For better or worse, Mineral Wells is like many small Texas towns, including the one where my grandparents lived. Towns that developed around a single income source were destined to fail when that single income source failed. Sometimes it's a rail station that relocates elsewhere. Sometimes its an oil patch that dries up. With Mineral Wells it was that trendy spa and magical waters thing.

Best thing for that hotel would be to film a sequel to The Shining featuring the Baker Hotel as a gigantic haunted house, a sort of Texas Chainsaw Hotel Massacre thing. Maybe throw in some Aurora Alien legend stuff. Play up some of Kubrick's themes about Native American spirits possessing the hotel and inhabitants -- we certainly had plenty of that up until the 20th century. With a soundtrack featuring Rubberneck by the Toadies. That would suit our statewide obsession with violence, death and mythology.
Old 08-09-21, 07:58 AM
seypat

Yeah, the Baker Hotel is still there, an abandoned shell. Every few years someone announces grand plans for revitalizing and reopening the hotel. Same again a couple of years ago, by a young local guy who's a photographer and journalist, in the "town boosterism" sense. But the stagnant economy and pandemic makes it unlikely the hotel will reopen in any significant way.

The problem with a limited re-opening -- say, just the ground floor -- means dealing with the complications from the entire deteriorating building: vermin, leaks, vandalism and theft, etc. It's an all or nothing proposition. No point in trying to open just the ground floor as a sort of museum, gift shop, tourist attraction, etc.

For better or worse, Mineral Wells is like many small Texas towns, including the one where my grandparents lived. Towns that developed around a single income source were destined to fail when that single income source failed. Sometimes it's a rail station that relocates elsewhere. Sometimes its an oil patch that dries up. With Mineral Wells it was that trendy spa and magical waters thing.

Best thing for that hotel would be to film a sequel to The Shining featuring the Baker Hotel as a gigantic haunted house, a sort of Texas Chainsaw Hotel Massacre thing. Maybe throw in some Aurora Alien legend stuff. Play up some of Kubrick's themes about Native American spirits possessing the hotel and inhabitants -- we certainly had plenty of that up until the 20th century. With a soundtrack featuring Rubberneck by the Toadies. That would suit our statewide obsession with violence, death and mythology.
I think that's the one. They also had the Crazy Water Hotel. I think it's still standing as well.

Ghosts of the Crazy Water Hotel, Mineral Wells, Texas.
Old 08-15-21, 10:07 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
My husband stole my bike!

So I have a 56cm Blue Smoke. I asked husband to pump up tires and he commented that “Smokey” was really fast to ride. Even worse—he says it’s his now.

He stole my trainer bike! Then he has the nerve to complain about the DT shifters. Go ride your Miyata ATB, man.

At least he knows not to touch Bandit or I’ll skin him alive.

side note, my kid just got a 1990 Univega to replace his 2004 Trek. I’m proud of him. I think this makes me a Japanese bike snob?
Old 09-01-21, 05:43 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Hello Ironkids.
Today I push the reset button. After almost 7 years of being a stay at home Dad/Trophy husband, my daughter is finally, I say finally, in school (1st grade).
The strange thing is that she was supposed to start kindergarten school last year but we opted for remote learning and challenging it was! I had been looking so, so forward to working out every day but the pandemic hit and well you know. In retrospect, I'm glad I got to spend one more year at home with my Daughter.
Today starts s new chapter in my life and a renewed commitment to health, well being and RIDING. I'll basically have all day to work out EXCEPT for the adding a room to our house (I'm doing myself). Which btw we have Only 2 more morgage payments left! 🎉
I've been under the weather so to speak for over 2 weeks now and not quite a 100% but very excited about my prospects. So my current goal is to run 3 miles one Day and ride 20 the next. Ill do that til November then shut down the biking and focus on running. I'll run 3 miles daily with one longer run on weekends. In December I'll up the distance to 6 miles daily running. When January comes I'll be swimming, running and biking daily... well those are the plans anyway.
When RT left us it kinda took the wind out of my sails. Couple that with markwesti going silent and I haven't been as active here. But I think I'm back and I'm thankful we still have seypat, Doc, C-cat, fleslider and the rest of you Ironkids here. I'm indebted to all of Y'ALL.
The weather here Cen-Tex has been mild, in fact this has been the least amount of 100 degree days since 1919! BTW, Still waiting for a Ride report of the HnH 100.
My regular riding buddy has been busier than ever and we've had fewer rides this summer however I did hook-up with a local mtb group (super nice guys). Also I've been Riding with one of my buddies from my early martial arts days. We were riding almost daily up til I got sick. I'm about 75% to 80% healthy now. We plan on riding 26 miles Sunday. That'll be the longest ride he's ever done. More about him later.
Alright Ironkids, keep the rubber side down.

Last edited by texaspandj; 09-01-21 at 05:48 AM.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 09-01-21, 07:15 AM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
It doesn't appear I've ever posted my completed MiamiVice edition. Complete with 8s Sachs Ergo and Sachs/Huret Rival drivetrain/brakes.

72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Last edited by Ex Pres; 09-01-21 at 07:32 AM.
Old 09-01-21, 07:33 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,178 Posts
Originally Posted by sdn40
top506 Almost forgot - there's also the '85 Coleman Columbia. Oddly enough - I took the stove out of it.
And if I could find a Coleman Colorado - I'd buy it in a heartbeat

R you pulling that behind your white and yellow I.M. , what chainrings are you using?
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 09-01-21, 11:00 AM
texaspandj

Took the tractor tires off my gravel bike, put a 14-30 cassette, took 2 chain links off.
I gotta tell you I love this bike. First because RT gifted it to me, also it rides probably second to my favorite Ironman, and it is so much Fun. I ride it only on our river walk...and the next gravel ride.

Those ultra II tires are 23s but they were 12 bucks each and brand new...so there's that.
This pic doesn't do justice to this awesome paint.
Changes hopefully coming soon.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 09-01-21, 11:08 AM
fleslider 

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
Took the tractor tires off my gravel bike, put a 14-30 cassette, took 2 chain links off.
I gotta tell you I love this bike. First because RT gifted it to me, also it rides probably second to my favorite Ironman, and it is so much Fun. I ride it only on our river walk...and the next gravel ride.

Those ultra II tires are 23s but they were 12 bucks each and brand new...so there's that.
This pic doesn't do justice to this awesome paint.
Changes hopefully coming soon.
Those are nice bikes, I have one that a guy gave me like yours that's a early 84 model as it has the 83 headbadge and downtube logo. then the steer tube is gold not silver like you see in the catalog. I will eventually find one in my size.
Old 09-01-21, 11:24 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
Originally Posted by TXsailor
Hey I'm still alive! Anyone remember me? I retired and started a long time dream of rebuilding my old hot rod. I have managed to ride a little but have slowly gone down hill. I'll be back and embarrass some youngsters again on my Purple Haze. Just have to finish the hot rod and get back in shape.
Man I want this frame in a 56cm so badly. You have a good looker there.
Old 09-01-21, 12:10 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
My future son in law has been riding my wife’s MV when he visits over the last couple years and used it on a couple local tris. He has a carbon tri-bike at home in New York. He has entered a Vintage Triathlon located in Portugal and was going to borrow a bike there. Until…..he…….found……this;

only issue was a stubborn seatpost binder bolt that responded to Liquid Wrench FTW!
Old 09-01-21, 01:57 PM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by Classtime
My future son in law has been riding my wife’s MV when he visits over the last couple years and used it on a couple local tris. He has a carbon tri-bike at home in New York. He has entered a Vintage Triathlon located in Portugal and was going to borrow a bike there. Until…..he…….found……this;

only issue was a stubborn seatpost binder bolt that responded to Liquid Wrench FTW!
That is truly Awesome!
Old 09-01-21, 02:37 PM
seypat

Ok. Back from the HNH with the report:

My father had a medical procedure the week before so I ended up having to go to Abilene first before heading to WF. Put 520 miles on my rental car in 4 days. It also meant I didn't get a chance to head through txsailor's area till the return trip.

Lord Voldetunes finished in 5:42. He said it was a great ride. Gave it a 10 out of 10.

Unfortunately, I got heatstroke and gave up at mile 99. My watch said 102 something, but I did not cross the line. I think the temp got to 97. I had been spending plenty of time at the SAGs cooling off before heading to the next one. At the 95 SAG, family was texting looking for me at the line. So, I mounted my bike and headed out when I shouldn't have. Started getting dizzy. Pulled over, hurled, then decided to not make it a serious problem. Rode in a truck with the AC blowing on me. By the time I was dropped at the line, I was as good as new. For me to complete it, I'll have to find a way to not overheat on the ride.

Other than that, I would give the ride a 10 out of 10 as well. I think there were over 10,000 riders. The route is an easy route. The heat and wind make it hard. That's it's calling card. I rode with a 52/40 11-28.(and a 3rd ring for show) Never even got on my 40/28. Wasn't even really affected by the wind. Went into tri mode and ground it out at a low cadence. Spent at least half the ride in the drops. Overall cadence avg. was 69rpm! I tried to maintain 85-90 out of the wind. That tells you how windy it is. One weird thing for the people who live in a high humidity area. I was wearing sun sleeves on my arms/legs. After the ride, the sleeves and my shoes were dusty! Not dirty/grimy, dusty. It's so dry and your sweat evaporates so fast that the dirt didn't get ground in with moisture. Weird. It also means dehydration can become a problem.

I can't say enough about how good the organization/execution/ support etc. at the ride is. The town and people go out of their way to have a great event. Good Expo. $10 all you can eat spaghetti supper night before. $10 all you can eat pre breakfast. Really well supported SAGs with med tents. Instead of coolers with liquids, they have people pouring iced water/Gatorade/pickle juice straight into your bottles!(maybe not the best idea during a Rona year) The SAGs get closer together as you get closer to the end. Free showers the night before and after and a fire hydrant spewing water after the finish line to cool you off. A really nice event. More of a bucket list type of event. I will check with RT. That might go into his rotation as an every 3 or 4 year event. For me, I will have to find a way to keep cool while riding or spend 30 minutes at each SAG. Now I will switch to my phone so I can add pics. Here is the website: If you need a hotel room, you need to get it way in advance of the event.

https://www.hh100.org/

Last edited by seypat; 09-01-21 at 03:15 PM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 09-01-21, 02:45 PM
seypat

I think there were 4 Centurions there.

Mine, the Road Warrior:

A female around my age 2 parking spaces from me:

Got to find RT's. Didn't get a pic of the other one.
Edit, found it. Also RT and his lady:

Last edited by seypat; 09-01-21 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-01-21, 03:06 PM
seypat

I gave my bike one 2 mile test ride then shipped it. Pulled it out, put the stem and seatpost in and it was good to go. No adjustments needed. It was flawless. The Microshift brifters work well also. If you want to know the difference in ride feel between the IMs and the Turbos, there isn't much. For me, the Turbos seem to be slightly smaller than the IM's for the 56 size. Even though the measurements say they're the same with almost identical geometry, the Turbos feel smaller.

Last edited by seypat; 09-01-21 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-02-21, 08:33 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

While I skipped the Hotter 'n' Hell Hundred this year, my calendar reminded me that Friday was the sixth anniversary of resuming cycling after a 30+ year hiatus. Usually I aim for a ride-my-age/metric century thing. I did half that distance with a casual group ride Friday evening, stopped at home for an ice pack on my neck and percussion massager to loosen up the spasms, then headed back out and finished with 66 miles.

Can't say it was fun after the 50 mile mark. My neck was aching so much I could barely hold up my head the final few miles home. Barring a medical miracle I doubt I'll ever attempt another full century ride. Or (gasp) switch to a recumbent. Or fill a spare water bottle with diluted pain meds to swig throughout the ride. I did take about 300mg total CBD over the course of several hours Friday night and while it's relaxing, it's not really an effective pain reliever for me, at least not for pain over level 5 or 6. It's roughly comparable to a fistful of ibuprofen or excedrin, minus the stomach upset and side effects from taking too many NSAIDs. I do have prescription muscle relaxers but there's no way I can ride a bike after taking those -- my legs turn to jello.

But I might try for the 50 or metric century version of the HHH next year, we'll see.
Old 09-03-21, 05:56 AM
seypat

While I skipped the Hotter 'n' Hell Hundred this year, my calendar reminded me that Friday was the sixth anniversary of resuming cycling after a 30+ year hiatus. Usually I aim for a ride-my-age/metric century thing. I did half that distance with a casual group ride Friday evening, stopped at home for an ice pack on my neck and percussion massager to loosen up the spasms, then headed back out and finished with 66 miles.

Can't say it was fun after the 50 mile mark. My neck was aching so much I could barely hold up my head the final few miles home. Barring a medical miracle I doubt I'll ever attempt another full century ride. Or (gasp) switch to a recumbent. Or fill a spare water bottle with diluted pain meds to swig throughout the ride. I did take about 300mg total CBD over the course of several hours Friday night and while it's relaxing, it's not really an effective pain reliever for me, at least not for pain over level 5 or 6. It's roughly comparable to a fistful of ibuprofen or excedrin, minus the stomach upset and side effects from taking too many NSAIDs. I do have prescription muscle relaxers but there's no way I can ride a bike after taking those -- my legs turn to jello.

But I might try for the 50 or metric century version of the HHH next year, we'll see.
The Metric looked like a good route. Same directional loop as the 100, but a shorter distance. You'd still get the essence of the full ride.
Old 09-03-21, 07:35 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked 615 Times in 275 Posts

Edit, found it. Also RT and his lady:

I miss that jarhead.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 09-03-21, 08:50 AM
seypat

Lord VoldeTunes is still doing good deeds for riders in need. His generosity is unsurpassed.
Old 09-04-21, 11:21 PM
texaspandj

Lord VoldeTunes is still doing good deeds for riders in need. His generosity is unsurpassed.
Not Surprised.

Last edited by texaspandj; 09-05-21 at 06:50 AM.
Old 09-05-21, 12:04 PM
dbhouston 

Bikes: 2005 Orbea Spirit + 2018 Specialized Diverge + 1974 Raleigh Competition + 1983 Centurion Pro Tour 15

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 211 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
Man I want this frame in a 56cm so badly. You have a good looker there.
Small world, Shoota. This one has been for sale near in Tulsa for a few weeks:https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...7440683448118/
Likes For dbhouston:
Old 09-06-21, 03:24 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
Originally Posted by dbhouston
Small world, Shoota. This one has been for sale near in Tulsa for a few weeks:https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...7440683448118/
Yeah I messaged her already but I'm not in for that price.
Likes For shoota:
Old 09-08-21, 10:37 AM
Frank S

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
I picked one up as a retirement gift to myself. It was an Ebay junker that, I think, cost as much to ship as the purchase price.

It's a Master Ironman that the OP has as a 1988 model.

If I remember, I'll post a picture when the forum lets me.
Likes For Frank S:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.