Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Old 08-03-21, 02:44 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
Check your math, you quoted Retro's post from 2008 which would make a Boomer only 62.
The youngest baby boomer is turning 57 this year and some of the oldest are getting knee'n hip transplants and buying stem extensions... 76 or more would be the silent generation but doubt if that appellative is to be taken literally... Rock On!

Last edited by McBTC; 08-03-21 at 02:55 PM.
Likes For McBTC:
Old 08-04-21, 08:28 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 430 Posts
Damn that hurt! Went to learn how to play pickleball yesterday (8/3). While going backward for a ball that was hit deep, slipped, went down on right hip/leg. Pulled some leg muscles and hip is sore (not broken, luckily). Had me thinking of falls I used to take on the mtn.bike (when I rode it more often and riskier than now), seemed wrecking never hurt like the fall on the court. Supposed to have a ride (pavement, not trail) Friday. Hoping my "senior body" bounces back as quickly as it used to!! Has me thinking when I ride off-road, that I need to be conservative, but has never been my style, but maybe it should be?
Old 08-04-21, 12:57 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
OK everybody. Card check/

Originally Posted by ListerFam
lol.
Is there anyone really 65+ here?
69 in one month. Happy to be here to whine about it

Likes For Dudelsack:
Old 08-04-21, 01:09 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
How are double standards and hypocrisy not politics?
Now that you mention it, they do seem to go hand in hand. However, that should probably be reserved for the P&R forum. I broke out in a bad rash the last time I checked it out. Never again.

I had COVID in December. I was treated with Tylenol and Diet Coke. Since then I’ve had mild anosmia, which I like, actually. In a farting contest it’s like having a force field.Then I got the vaccine, partly because I still work part time in the health field. No ill effects.

My return to cycling had been covered already.

Old 08-04-21, 11:35 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,781 Times in 2,206 Posts
After nearly 3 weeks off the bikes (for various reasons) it was good to get in almost 20 miles today.
Sure was nice on an endurance frame, flatish course, reasonable pace.
But the legs absolutely need a few easier rides to remember how to do this with vigor.
'Coming back to speed' isn't as easy as it once was.

Bike is AustriDaimler Vent Noir, 1983. Purchased as a frameset and reassembled from exiting spare parts. Cockpit especially comfortable. Dry, dry weather. About 50 days with no rain. Dry streak may end this week, but close to the all-time record.

Had a bout of illness and chest congestion. Though vaxed months ago, I got tested for Covid and resulted negative. Not sure what it was, but more than a cold.

Ride on old guys! With vigor! ...and a smile.

Last edited by Wildwood; 08-04-21 at 11:56 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 08-05-21, 08:08 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
20 miles after a 3 weeks break would be too much for me now that I have been getting better listening to my 71 year old body, thanks to daughters giving me a bad time. For me a smooth come back would be ~10 miles day one, ~15 day three, 20 day 5 and what feels good after that all with only slight climbs. After a week or so I could do group rides again or some climbing.
Old 08-08-21, 07:36 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Such a nice day. Started in high 50*s, mid-60*s at start of ride, about 70 by the finish.

picky old guy - out on my kinda day.
Old 08-10-21, 07:03 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 430 Posts
@Wildwood, that is a sharp looking bike! If someone had mentioned yellow as a color for a bike, don't know that I would have pictured it as a color I'd care for. But I really like it!!
Old 08-10-21, 08:15 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

@freeranger - thanks. i like it because it is 1-of-a-kind, and has served me very well for over 20years.
Old 08-15-21, 08:14 AM
McBTC

Total Left Hip Anterior Anthroplasty...

10 days post-op yesterday with swelling beginning to recede and after in-home PT essentially fired herself after three visits because I'm way ahead of most patients' progress, stretched out on the in-garage recumbent trainer and 'biked' a mile. Sent a note to the PA to thank the doctor for his skills and to let me know if I'm progressing too quickly but, there seems to be few contraindications when it comes to post-surgery exercise following hip replacement using the anterior approach. Seems to me, so long as swelling keeps going down and assuming painkillers are not required, I don't see any limitations when it comes to hitting the wild when it comes to getting back on the road bike again.
Likes For McBTC:
Old 08-15-21, 06:00 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
Not a doc of any sort, but some of your recovery depends on what your doc says. Reduction in swelling is a sign of healing, as is lack of pain (though you might just have a very high tolerance for pain). Besides, my understanding is that the anterior approach speeds healing. I wish you continued luck with your recovery, and I hope your doc understand biking.

I've had thumb arthroplasty and a shoulder replacement. One thing that kept me off the road was the doc's' fear of my falling and fouling up their work. That made sense to me, even though I haven't fallen since I stopped using 'clipless' pedals in 2014 or 2015. They kept me off the road for 6 weeks.
Old 09-05-21, 12:51 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Wish photographer had instructed me to reduce my central anterior region, just inferior to my chest. But all is well , I survived the procedure . With a smile. Rx = more core.

Old 09-06-21, 03:35 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
Not a doc of any sort, but some of your recovery depends on what your doc says...............................and I hope your doc understand biking. I've had thumb arthroplasty and a shoulder replacement. One thing that kept me off the road was the doc's' fear of my falling and fouling up their work. That made sense to me, even though I haven't fallen since I stopped using 'clipless' pedals in 2014 or 2015. They kept me off the road for 6 weeks.

After consulting 4 doctors I had my right shoulder replaced in 2016 by doctor who was the Cincinnati Reds Team Ortho for 11 years. Shoulder installed early Monday, saw the PT on Tuesday afternoon at which time the sling was removed, inspections made, movement checked and limitations given then confirmation as to doctor's approval to go bike riding on Wednesday. I waited until Thursday AM then went for a ride. Have been down HARD on the shoulder a few times since replacement and it's holding up better than the rest of me.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 09-06-21, 07:36 AM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Congratulations on a fast recovery.
Old 09-07-21, 11:49 AM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

Bikes: DeVinci, Bianchi, Nishiki, RBSM Mud Adder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC
The youngest baby boomer is turning 57 this year and some of the oldest are getting knee'n hip transplants and buying stem extensions... 76 or more would be the silent generation but doubt if that appellative is to be taken literally... Rock On!
Silent generation?? Hmmmm....
Good thing my friends don't know about that.
Old 09-07-21, 01:51 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I’m wondering if my years are starting to show. After riding 3-100 milers on a lightly packed bike in 3 days in June, I’ve not really ridden that much. Nothing to really train for and it’s been hot. Plus there’s been a lot going on with family stuff. I went from riding 200 miles/week to 50 maybe.

I’m signed up for Cycle NC which starts the first week of October. It’s a 7 day ride with about 65-70 miles per day. In past years I never did any special rides to prepare. My average rides were 60+ miles anyway so Cycle NC was actually pretty easy.

This weekend I thought it might be smart to ride a little more to get ready. I rode 62 miles and it totally trashed me. It was so bad it made me think that if this is the new me my riding days might be numbered. A really frustrating experience. Maybe I should have started with a shorter mileage but in the past a 60 miler has been a nice ride and felt as good in the last half as the first half.

Anyway I’m going to try and increase the days on the bike and with shorter distances to see if it helps. Right now I’m concerned as if all 7 days were like the last 62 miler it would be a really miserable week.
Old 09-07-21, 05:46 PM
McBTC

Originally Posted by jppe
I’m wondering... signed up for Cycle NC which starts the first week of October. It’s a 7 day ride with about 65-70 miles per day. In past years I never did any special rides to prepare. My average rides were 60+ miles anyway so Cycle NC was actually pretty easy...
That is pretty mega. Hopefully... your ~500 mile ride doesn't begin with a lot of hills. When you're young, you can ride into that but otherwise... Ouch! Go light!
Old 09-08-21, 06:04 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Originally Posted by McBTC
That is pretty mega. Hopefully... your ~500 mile ride doesn't begin with a lot of hills. When you're young, you can ride into that but otherwise... Ouch! Go light!
It starts in the mountains with hills and doesn’t flatten out for about 4 days. Normally hills aren’t an issue but just haven’t ridden enough to know lately.
Old 09-13-21, 12:37 AM
letank

Bikes: Specialized Allez (over 15K), Soma Saga (new used addition)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Training is really the trick... 68 here, I only rode 10 miles in 2020... I warmed up with 10 milers after all those fires, it was not the best time to go out lately... and went for my fav 25 miler... which has a huge 25% hill for 1/4mile... I walked it... and on repeat I walked a bit less... 20 yards... progress, progress.... it also depends on what is in your stomach... a little energy boost helps
Old 09-16-21, 05:08 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by jppe
I’m wondering if my years are starting to show. After riding 3-100 milers on a lightly packed bike in 3 days in June, I’ve not really ridden that much. Nothing to really train for and it’s been hot. Plus there’s been a lot going on with family stuff. I went from riding 200 miles/week to 50 maybe.

I’m signed up for Cycle NC which starts the first week of October. It’s a 7 day ride with about 65-70 miles per day. In past years I never did any special rides to prepare. My average rides were 60+ miles anyway so Cycle NC was actually pretty easy.

This weekend I thought it might be smart to ride a little more to get ready. I rode 62 miles and it totally trashed me. It was so bad it made me think that if this is the new me my riding days might be numbered. A really frustrating experience. Maybe I should have started with a shorter mileage but in the past a 60 miler has been a nice ride and felt as good in the last half as the first half.

Anyway I’m going to try and increase the days on the bike and with shorter distances to see if it helps. Right now I’m concerned as if all 7 days were like the last 62 miler it would be a really miserable week.
Oh well, rode 109 miles with 4000’ of climbing today. Slower than normal but comfortable ride. Doing a two day solo self supported ride to the NC coast. Tomorrow will be 100 miles and pretty flat.
Old 09-18-21, 09:51 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

@jppe - even with your 'reduced' mileage = you are still da man.

Ride on.
Old 09-19-21, 07:30 AM
McBTC

Ya! - Ride, boldly ride...
Likes For McBTC:
Old 09-22-21, 02:13 PM
tmac100

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
69 in one month. Happy to be here to whine about it
Why whine? I am 73 and just recovering from "breaking my back" - actually my T-12 vertebrae. Some muscle and osteoporosis issues too. No matter as I am looking forward to another self-supported bicycle tour in Australia - once it opens up to folks. Yes, I am double vaxed.

This photo is me about 3-4 years ago on "The Nullabore" on the hwy between Perth, Adelaide and Sydney. Yes, I did get to Sydney One more trip then I will stop long-distance self supported touring. I now live in Portugal, and places in Europe are "relatively" close together as compared to the outback of OZ.

Last edited by tmac100; 09-23-21 at 12:03 AM.
Likes For tmac100:
Old 09-22-21, 07:02 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

@tmac100 - May I inquire what part of Portugal? I still dream of living in the Algarve region.
Old 09-22-21, 09:11 PM
tmac100

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
@tmac100 - May I inquire what part of Portugal? I still dream of living in the Algarve region.
i currently live in Coimbra because of the university Portuguese courses I am taking. Once done I will move to The Silver Coast.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.