Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Paris-Roubaix 2021

Old 10-03-21, 08:54 PM
LeHibou
Misanthrope

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
It was exciting to watch. Both the Women and Men races were great. Well worth the wait.
E. Deignan’s win was impressive. She truly dominated the field The men’s was exciting to the very end. Three debutants fighting to the bitter end. Condolences to Gianni Moscon! The victory seemed to be so firmly in his grasp. “Complimenti a Colbrelli e a tutta Italia ! “
Old 10-04-21, 06:28 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by LeHibou
E. Deignan’s win was impressive. She truly dominated the field The men’s was exciting to the very end. Three debutants fighting to the bitter end. Condolences to Gianni Moscon! The victory seemed to be so firmly in his grasp. “Complimenti a Colbrelli e a tutta Italia ! “
Lizzie’s ride was impressive. She had the best performance by a British rider, male or female, in the last few years. Totally dominant.

The best moment in the men’s race, in a race full of memorable moments, was the full display of emotions by Colbrelli. He laughed, he shouted, he cried. He was thoroughly Italian and it was great to watch. It has been a great year for Italian racers.
Old 10-04-21, 11:28 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 609 Times in 458 Posts
So much to process! Sagan going down in that corner into 3ft of water would be terrible. I was really confused about Luke Rowe jumping into the front of the peloton on the arrenberg trench and causing pandemonium - but he released a video that told me to go, uh, deal with myself. Laporte shoe braking - not a typo!

Moscon getting caught out by the difference in tire pressure from a slow flat to a fresh tire. Cobble gobble!

Colbrelli - wow!

​​​​​​
Old 10-04-21, 01:36 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4269 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,816 Posts
At the same time, I'm happy for Colbrelli and disappointed on MvdP's behalf. MvdP did some heroic things in the last 80-90 km, only to come up short.
Old 10-04-21, 02:15 PM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
Wow, so many spoilers. NBC station 212 didn't air it until late Sunday night so I haven't seen it yet!
Old 10-04-21, 05:29 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Originally Posted by HeyItsSara
Wow, so many spoilers. NBC station 212 didn't air it until late Sunday night so I haven't seen it yet!
Sorry, but if you haven't watched it yet and don't want to read spoilers, you shouldn't be reading the thread.

There shouldn't be any spoilers in thread titles.

inside threads, that's on you.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 10-05-21, 07:05 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 77 Posts
Both the Femmes and Hommes races were some of the best TV viewing I've ever seen.
Likes For boozergut:
Old 10-05-21, 10:16 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by MinnMan
At the same time, I'm happy for Colbrelli and disappointed on MvdP's behalf. MvdP did some heroic things in the last 80-90 km, only to come up short.
I think that MvdP was done in by the Hype Curse. He has been so over hyped over the last year or so that he was bound to be cursed. Yes, like most cyclists I am a bit superstitious.

Being featured on the cover of Sports Illustrated was a sure fire way to be cursed.
Old 10-05-21, 10:25 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
MvdP has the same lack of tactical nous as Remco. They've managed to be successful by just being freakishly strong. And (not so) coincidentally, Colbrelli rolled both of them very recently, at the P-R and the Euro championships.
Old 10-05-21, 10:27 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Sorry, but if you haven't watched it yet and don't want to read spoilers, you shouldn't be reading the thread.

There shouldn't be any spoilers in thread titles.

inside threads, that's on you.
I agree BUT as a courtesy to our fellow cyclists a note about spoilers, on the title, would be nice.

BTW, in another breaking news, the Titanic hit an iceberg and sank.

Last edited by eja_ bottecchia; 10-06-21 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-05-21, 10:43 AM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by surak
MvdP has the same lack of tactical nous as Remco. They've managed to be successful by just being freakishly strong. And (not so) coincidentally, Colbrelli rolled both of them very recently, at the P-R and the Euro championships.
I agree, though I'd say that Remco has it worse.
Old 10-06-21, 03:43 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 578 Times in 446 Posts
Concur.

BTW, commentators on GCN (can't remember which ones) were talking about WVA having a bit of the opposite problem: tends to defend, needs to uncork it at some point.

MVDP rode the heck out of that race but Colbrelli must not have read his press release. Vermeesch, wow. Moscon, bad luck; karma?

I agree BUT as a courtesy to our fellow cyclists a note about spoilers, on the title, would be nice.

BTW,the Titanic hit an iceberg and sank.
Nope. Would be stupid, frivolous, and indulgent. As a courtesy to humanity, what would be really nice is folks expecting less coddling. Particularly for Roubaix!!! A snowflake-free zone if there ever was one.

What the heck else is going to be in this thread?
Likes For slcbob:
Old 10-06-21, 10:12 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
Originally Posted by slcbob
Concur.

BTW, commentators on GCN (can't remember which ones) were talking about WVA having a bit of the opposite problem: tends to defend, needs to uncork it at some point.

MVDP rode the heck out of that race but Colbrelli must not have read his press release. Vermeesch, wow. Moscon, bad luck; karma?

Nope. Would be stupid, frivolous, and indulgent. As a courtesy to humanity, what would be really nice is folks expecting less coddling. Particularly for Roubaix!!! A snowflake-free zone if there ever was one.
Watched thru Peacock - full race transmission - Awesome!
Not see thru GCN, I would 'echo' commentators - WVA's ride was perplexing (unless one accepts he's cooked from all his efforts from the Olympics, WC...)
He spent too much time 'behind' and was caught in too many problems which required chasing, He's been doing too much of "racing the probability to win". He just didn't have it when he should have put in the effort.
In contrast, Vermeesch made the efforts when it mattered, he had his let-down' moments, but fought thru and made junctions and closed small gaps when it was important.
He was the most impressive to me... Especially given his 'All for the win' in the final Kms !!!
MVDP did great, given his early 'softness'. He collected himself and made the efforts. Being as heavily marked as he was, certainly by Colbrelli, I'm surprised he didn;t drag more riders with him....
Colbrelli - rode ok, but rode smart by being MVDP's shadow - I don;t think he would have made it to the front on his own... But that;s racing...
Moscon - 'karma' ? I do believe our own tendency to put ourselves into 'situations' is a strong force, but not the only force. Flats or mechanicals are bummers. I was surprised how much 'focus' he lost for a considerable time after the bike swap. But I get it... when you are 'taken' out of the 'zone', even for just a little bit, it really takes some effort to get back into the zone.
When you get a course induced flat - then you're suddenly aware of riding to avoid another flat - and lose that 'all-in' focus from before...
I felt for Moscon...
Great Race !!!! Vermeesch was my 'Rider of the Day'!
Ride On
Yuri
Old 10-06-21, 10:13 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Wow, almost a demolition derby!

I just got a chance to watch last night (Tuesday). I'm really happy I was able to keep away from spoilers as to the winner. But maybe that doesn't speak to well for how much cycling news is mentioned in the TV news coverage here in the States. I don't even remember Google suggesting any articles with headlines proclaiming the winner.

I noticed that several of the riders seemed to be flying off their bikes going into an already messed up muddy patch of roadside for their landing where someone else previously must have crashed. I guess that must have been where woman from their race took the same spill the day before.

How did the EF guy keep his jersey so clean? Rutsch I think was the guy. Maybe he was pulling more for his group in the wetter parts.
Old 10-06-21, 11:25 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Concur.

I sense much anger and fear in this one.

Peace out.
Old 10-06-21, 11:27 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by Iride01
Wow, almost a demolition derby!

I just got a chance to watch last night (Tuesday). I'm really happy I was able to keep away from spoilers as to the winner. But maybe that doesn't speak to well for how much cycling news is mentioned in the TV news coverage here in the States. I don't even remember Google suggesting any articles with headlines proclaiming the winner.

I noticed that several of the riders seemed to be flying off their bikes going into an already messed up muddy patch of roadside for their landing where someone else previously must have crashed. I guess that must have been where woman from their race took the same spill the day before.

How did the EF guy keep his jersey so clean? Rutsch I think was the guy. Maybe he was pulling more for his group in the wetter parts.
Yahoo News had many links to PR and the results. But I agree, there is generally far less coverage, and interest, in the USA.
Old 10-06-21, 11:45 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4841 Post(s)
Liked 7,830 Times in 3,710 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
Colbrelli - rode ok, but rode smart by being MVDP's shadow - I don;t think he would have made it to the front on his own... But that;s racing...
Ummm...what? Cobrelli was already in the front group when MVDP bridged up, and had been one of the driving forces. Once MVDP got there, Cobrelli rode a much more savvy race, and was able to conserve a little better while MVDP (and his giant ego) drove the pace. I'm a big fan of MVDP and his aggressive style of racing, but he got out-played by Cobrelli, and it came down to Cobrelli being able to use is best weapon (sprint) when MVDP had nothing left. Bravo, Sonny!!
Old 10-06-21, 11:57 AM
MinnMan

Peace out.
Excellent use of the passive aggressive.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 10-06-21, 12:25 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Excellent use of the passive aggressive.
Stick around Padawan and much you will learn.
Old 10-06-21, 04:02 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Ummm...what? Cobrelli was already in the front group when MVDP bridged up, and had been one of the driving forces. Once MVDP got there, Cobrelli rode a much more savvy race, and was able to conserve a little better while MVDP (and his giant ego) drove the pace. I'm a big fan of MVDP and his aggressive style of racing, but he got out-played by Cobrelli, and it came down to Cobrelli being able to use is best weapon (sprint) when MVDP had nothing left. Bravo, Sonny!!
Yeah, Colbrelli was totally worthy... Rode smart, then made best use of his sprint asset. Wasn't meaning to downplay his effort.
In acceptance of your correction. LOL!
I guess I was surprised how well Vermeesch responded, considering his time in the pro peleton and age. And MVDP gave a great try..
He tried to ride everyone off his wheel - pretty much worked ... except for 2 guys !
In recent times, Paris-Roubaix has surprised more than given a 'predictable' outcome - which makes it the awesome race it is.
And there were so many other riders who added to their story and the story of the race.
All the juice and excitement of a 21 day Grand Tour, packed into a one day race !
And, hopefully, it gets done again in 6 mos. time!
Old 10-06-21, 04:17 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4841 Post(s)
Liked 7,830 Times in 3,710 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
Yeah, Colbrelli was totally worthy... Rode smart, then made best use of his sprint asset. Wasn't meaning to downplay his effort.
In acceptance of your correction. LOL!
I guess I was surprised how well Vermeesch responded, considering his time in the pro peleton and age. And MVDP gave a great try..
He tried to ride everyone off his wheel - pretty much worked ... except for 2 guys !
In recent times, Paris-Roubaix has surprised more than given a 'predictable' outcome - which makes it the awesome race it is.
And there were so many other riders who added to their story and the story of the race.
All the juice and excitement of a 21 day Grand Tour, packed into a one day race !
And, hopefully, it gets done again in 6 mos. time!
The magic of Paris-Roubaix is that it is unpredictable, and you need a healthy dose of luck to go along with a tremendous athletic performance. Moscon got the short end of things in the luck department, for sure. MVDP and Cobrelli aren't totally surprising, but Vermeesh sure was. I look forward to seeing what else he can do. I do expect MVDP to win P-R in the future. There's not doubt he has all the right tools.
Old 10-06-21, 08:29 PM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts

Peace out.
naaah. i'll vouch for my boy slcbob. he's like a giant inflatable pool floatie.
impressive but ultimately full of (hot) air. now me? i'm more like water wings.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 10-06-21, 08:37 PM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
agreed for the most part. strength can cover up tactics unless someone plays things perfectly combined with nearly the same strength.
colbrelli was solid and just barely missing the last few years. now colbrelli has put it all together and has excellent sprints/classics range. the bridesmaid syndrome is over for him-for now. tons of quality
competition in the races he competes in.
Old 10-07-21, 06:28 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,490 Posts
I was watching the highlights a member posted in General. Seemed to be a lot of hydroplaning going on.

Last edited by seypat; 10-07-21 at 06:38 AM.
Old 10-07-21, 12:23 PM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts

BTW, in another breaking news, the Titanic hit an iceberg and sank.
Concur.

Wow. I'm just here to have a little fun.
Likes For HeyItsSara:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.