Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New Shimano Deore hub, ticking noise in the bearings

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 10-13-21, 08:44 AM
sysrq

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts

Got a new weel with a Shimano hub since the old freehub was too noisy, but now there seems to be another problem. Seems like there might be some ball bearings missing since it's making some ticking noise while spinning. Had the same problem ages ago on a cheapo bike. Wasn't expecting something like this from Shimano Deore. Not sure if overhauling it would be the best thing to do due to upcoming tour tomorrow.
Old 10-13-21, 09:00 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,148 Times in 1,312 Posts
I always overhaul, (clean, grease, adjust), any new cup-cone bearings. Most hubs are machine built and there is no way they can be adjusted properly. Plus once you start to gall the cone and race surfaces, there is no way back.

As for the number of ball bearings, I believe that recently happened to me with a new front hub. I counted 11 on one side and 10 on the other. I don’t recall a clicking sound. Since both quantities have been used, depending on the hub, I looked it up on Shimano’s Tech Doc site and there should be 11.

I can’t be certain that one did not fall out and roll away to places unknown, but I’m pretty careful, use a magnet, and put a towel down. Regardless they both have 11 now.

John
Old 10-13-21, 10:17 AM
sysrq

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I always overhaul, (clean, grease, adjust), any new cup-cone bearings. Most hubs are machine built and there is no way they can be adjusted properly. Plus once you start to gall the cone and race surfaces, there is no way back.

As for the number of ball bearings, I believe that recently happened to me with a new front hub. I counted 11 on one side and 10 on the other. I don’t recall a clicking sound. Since both quantities have been used, depending on the hub, I looked it up on Shimano’s Tech Doc site and there should be 11.

I can’t be certain that one did not fall out and roll away to places unknown, but I’m pretty careful, use a magnet, and put a towel down. Regardless they both have 11 now.

John
There wasn't any grease one the drive side whatsoever. Unfortunately some of the balls felt on the ground immediately upon removing the axle, so one is missing now. Should be nine on each side.
Old 10-13-21, 10:22 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

I don’t have access to Shimano tech site at the moment. “Typically” 9 (1/4”) balls per side for rear hubs.

You can search using the hub number, FH-Number and HB-Number. There are pdf’s with exploded views and parts list.

John
Old 10-13-21, 11:10 AM
70sSanO

You can get Grade 25 ball bearings, 1/4” and 3/16”, at an LBS. I wouldn’t go to anything better, but I wouldn’t go anything less than that; such as Grade 100.

John

Edit added: I also don’t skimp on the grease; pack it in there.
Old 10-13-21, 11:25 AM
sysrq

You can get Grade 25 ball bearings, 1/4” and 3/16”, at an LBS. I wouldn’t go to anything better, but I wouldn’t go anything less than that; such as Grade 100.

John

Edit added: I also don’t skimp on the grease; pack it in there.
The pdf on FH-T610 shows 9 on both sides. Grade 5 bearings is said to be optimal for cycling. The caliper shows 0.25 inches in diameter.
I suspect one ball was missing from the start, otherwise the clicking would be a bit quiter, since they weren't completely dry but covered with oil instead of grease.

Last edited by sysrq; 10-13-21 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-13-21, 11:47 AM
70sSanO

How ironic. I just did this on T610 hubs this past weekend. Bought the wheels a year ago as replacements for our son some day.

Check for burrs/chips on axle. I found a sliver on the axle. Spent extra time cleaning. Ran a magnet through the hub.

But the final product turned out smooth spinning.

John
Old 10-13-21, 11:58 AM
sysrq

How ironic. I just did this on T610 hubs this past weekend. Bought the wheels a year ago as replacements for our son some day.

Check for burrs/chips on axle. I found a sliver on the axle. Spent extra time cleaning. Ran a magnet through the hub.

John
Could be just a bad luck in this case. As it has been said in another thread something unexpected keeps happening with each upgrade.
I suspect one ball was missing from the start, otherwise the clicking would be a bit quiter, since they weren't completely dry but covered with oil instead of grease.
Old 10-13-21, 12:37 PM
sysrq

John
Could be just a bad luck in this case. As it has been said in another thread something unexpected keeps happening with each upgrade.
Old 10-13-21, 12:38 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Here we go again...
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 10-13-21, 12:40 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 117 Posts
Had purchased new wheels for my son's mtn bike with Shimano hubs. Noticed when repacking the bearings, the front hub did not have much grease at all, barely even slick. Plus that hub was overly tightened by the manufacturer.

Rear hub did have some grease, but not that much.

Wondering if the production on these hubs are going too fast or quality control is just plainly down for these kind of mistakes.
Old 10-13-21, 12:46 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,230 Times in 851 Posts
Originally Posted by sysrq
There wasn't any grease one the drive side whatsoever. Unfortunately some of the balls felt on the ground immediately upon removing the axle, so one is missing now. Should be nine on each side.
That tells me enough.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 10-13-21, 01:02 PM
sysrq

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
That tells me enough.
Normally something should be kept under the hub for the ball bearings to fall into. This time I though internal grease retainer seal would hold them in for some reason.
Old 10-13-21, 01:26 PM
sysrq

Originally Posted by travbikeman
Had purchased new wheels for my son's mtn bike with Shimano hubs. Noticed when repacking the bearings, the front hub did not have much grease at all, barely even slick. Plus that hub was overly tightened by the manufacturer.

Wondering if the production on these hubs are going too fast or quality control is just plainly down for these kind of mistakes.
Agreed, with cartridge bearing hubs you have got loud freehubs, while with Shimano you normally have some sort of problems with cup and cone bearings. Older production freehubs seemed to be quiter for some reason. Like a wristwatch ticking. Shame this one sounds like a loud mouse click. Who knew cycling would be so complicated.
Old 10-13-21, 01:39 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
Agreed, with cartridge bearing hubs you have got loud freehubs, while with Shimano you normally have some sort of problems with cup and cone bearings. Older production freehubs seemed to be quiter for some reason. Like a wristwatch ticking. Shame this one sounds like a loud mouse click. Who knew cycling would be so complicated.
Neither is true for most folks. Bummer, but cycling doesn't seem to be working out for you. Hope your experience improves while on tour,
Old 10-13-21, 02:31 PM
sysrq

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Neither is true for most folks. Bummer, but cycling doesn't seem to be working out for you. Hope your experience improves while on tour,
It could be just a fundamental attribution error. Cycling is not the only thing that's not working out.
Cycling was my last hope lol.
Old 10-13-21, 02:44 PM
70sSanO

Originally Posted by travbikeman

My understanding is hubs are machine assembled. I’m not sure if Shimano uses the most efficient processes with the (false) intent that an LBS/wheel builder will set the hub up properly before customer use. After all a hub will always require additional steps, wheel building, prior to being put into use. But I doubt anything is done with machine built discount priced wheels.

I also don’t know if the lower level hubs are thrown together and the higher level hubs have additional steps. A $300 XTR freehub might command more attention at the factory than a $30 Deore offering.

It is not a big deal for me. New or used, I overhaul every hub I get before I use them. There are much better wheel builders and mechanics than me out there, but I doubt there is a machine that will do a better job than I can.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 10-13-21, 03:03 PM
sysrq

My understanding is hubs are machine assembled. I’m not sure if Shimano uses the most efficient processes with the (false) intent that an LBS/wheel builder will set the hub up properly before customer use. After all a hub will always require additional steps, wheel building, prior to being put into use. But I doubt anything is done with machine built discount priced wheels.

I also don’t know if the lower level hubs are thrown together and the higher level hubs have additional steps. A $300 XTR freehub might command more attention at the factory than a $30 Deore offering.

It is not a big deal for me. New or used, I overhaul every hub I get before I use them. There are much better wheel builders and mechanics than me out there, but I doubt there is a machine that will do a better job than I can.

John
The weel was advertised as being hand built on sjscycles website specializing on touring bicycles, so they should have heard the bearings making noise on truing stand.
Old 10-13-21, 03:08 PM
travbikeman

John

It actually isn't very hard to re-grease the bearings on cup and cone hubs, or at least I don't find it difficult.

But others whom aren't willing to put this work into it may find it annoying to have to pay a LBS to repack the bearings on a new hub.
Likes For travbikeman:
Old 10-13-21, 03:09 PM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
The weel was advertised as being hand built on sjscycles website specializing on touring bicycles, so they should have heard the bearings making noise on truing stand.
So what did they say when you informed them that there was an issue with the hub?
Old 10-13-21, 03:12 PM
travbikeman

About 5 years ago, I bought an inexpensive wheelset from Performance Bikes, when the shop I went to was actually a decent shop. Took the wheels home only to find the supposedly "hand built" wheels need truing and tensioned.

Took it back to the the shop and they were like there is nothing wrong with these wheels. Took the wheels to an LBS I had also shopped often at and they were happy to tension and properly dish the wheelset.

I have found that it doesn't matter if the wheels are hand built. If the builder doesn't build it right, then the consumer will need to fix.

HEH...what am I saying, my new wheelset I bought a few months ago from Prowheelbuidler was not tensioned right as well. I just had a lbs tension those since it was cheaper to do rather than shipping the wheel back and wait a month for ProWheelBuilder to fix. Which is strange, cause Prowheelbuilder has always done a great job for me on prior wheelsets.

Last edited by travbikeman; 10-13-21 at 07:39 PM.
Old 10-13-21, 03:54 PM
sysrq

Originally Posted by mprince
So what did they say when you informed them that there was an issue with the hub?
The said that's interesting and asked me to send a video, so sent them two. One with the wheel spinning and another one with axle being rotated by fingers. After that no response.
Going trough the trouble of sending it back probably would be pointless since this was the only 32h wheel with 135mm OLD axle and rim brakes I could find.

Last edited by sysrq; 10-13-21 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-13-21, 03:59 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

You make statements AS FACT when they are NOT!
Troll technique 1.2a
Old 10-13-21, 04:05 PM
sysrq

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
You make statements AS FACT when they are NOT!
Troll technique 1.2a
I don't know but Shimano was rated as second quitest after Onyx. Shame Shimano has some noise level inconsistency among the same freehub models though.
Old 10-13-21, 04:21 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

I don't know but Shimano was rated as second quitest after Onyx. Shame Shimano has some noise level inconsistency among the same freehub models though.
BLAH BLAW BLAH.
Avoid the issue and try to avert attention by posting totally meaningless "hearsay statistics" that have anything to do with your "alleged problem".
What have you ACTUALLY done in an attempt to alleviate your "alleged problem"? (Other than dump bearings on the ground and post a lot of crap)
Another for the ignore list.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.