Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Chicago Lyft Passenger Opens Door in Bike Lane

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Chicago Lyft Passenger Opens Door in Bike Lane

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-21, 01:29 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
That you persist in giving credit to unquestioning media parroting of demonstrably false claims by parties with a vested interest over the actual fact that the location is a shared lane not a bike lane and the evidence that refutes the rest of the false narrative is exactly the issue.
​​​​​
The only actual evidence available is the video and the fact of the street configuration, what someone told a reporter is meaningless.

If it's mid block drop-offs that are your particular ire the reality is that such is one of the core functions of urban roadways. When vehicle is use restricted, that's what is allowed, it's the through traffic which would be banned. If you wanted to make more space to deconflict that, it means less parking, and less parking actually means more hire vehicles since not everyone can bike or walk and those who do can't for all trips or all weather (says the guy hiking home with two bags of groceries by way of a detour to look at a house for sale)

I haven't been "giving credit" to anyone's account other than to accept the reporting that the driver left the scene before police arrived.

As far as I know, double parking and stopping to unload while in a traffic lane are pretty much illegal everywhere, but thanks for the strange lecture.

At this point, I don't even recognize what it is you think you're answering, so I'm out.
Old 10-15-21, 01:52 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
As far as I know, double parking and stopping to unload while in a traffic lane are pretty much illegal everywhere, but thanks for the strange lecture
Where in your opinion is it appropriate to pick up or drop off passengers or load or unload items then? Especially passengers who may be getting a ride because they can't walk far, or are bringing back a lot of items from a shopping trip?

If you say the end of the block, keep in mind that not only are there explicit laws against stopping within a certain distance of a crosswalk, but also the reason there are no parked cars at the ends of the block is because of the necessary space and sight lines for safety at the intersections - including safety of cyclists.

The real irony is that it's not the pickup/drop-off traffic that's to blame here. Rather, it's the background fear of through traffic which had the cyclist go around the wrong side of the stopped car, rather than check to see if there was any through traffic.

When in more enlightened areas vehicular traffic is restricted to make a "pedestrian priority" area, local pickup, dropoff, delivery, etc operations are those reasons for a vehicle to slowly enter that remain allowed, it's the through traffic which isn't supposed to happen.

The simple way to control hire-vehicle volume is the way we regulate everything in America: pricing, including local surcharges, and maybe waiving them in disability cases (mirroring how many cities find it cheaper to implement a car shuttle service than make their transit systems accessible)

Last edited by UniChris; 10-15-21 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-15-21, 02:33 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
Where in your opinion is it appropriate to pick up or drop off passengers or load or unload items then? Especially passengers who may be getting a ride because they can't walk far, or are bringing back a lot of items from a shopping trip?
In the alternate reality being promoted on this thread motorists should only be allowed to discharge passengers in off street parking spots designated for such use whether they exist or not in dense urban areas; ya know, just as bicyclists should only ride in lanes designated for their exclusive use.

This thread indicates that having a law degree is no guarantee of expertise with dense urban traffic scenarios outside of their own personal experience, biases or memory, and seem unusually ignorant about driving and bicycling in cities with crowded on-street parallel parking.
Old 10-16-21, 07:28 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by CliffordK
The video clip I saw was very short, and doesn't show the car or passenger leaving. Plus it lacks audio.

The cyclist did get back up on his 2 feet while the car was there. Hopefully the everything was dragged off of the road while the car was still blocking the lane for safety./Beyond that we don't know everything that transpired.
https://www.facebook.com/LegalRidesh...14944536926697

Beyond that we don't know everything that transpired. And, at this point only have one side of the story.

Did the cyclist tell the driver that he was OK?

The license plate isn't clear in the video, but I have to think it was intentionally obscured by the news agency. There has to be video processing equipment that can take an unmoving 5 minute video clip and clean up the resolution 1000 times. If it was a LYFT driver and passenger, then the company knows the ID.

It has been another week, and no followup stories? Did the driver file a DMV report?
On my computer the Facebook video posted on the LegalRideShare site stalls out at 13 seconds of the 56 sec video, but the first 13 seconds makes clear the car did not come out of nowhere and the cyclist did not appear to alter direction or slow down at all.
Facebook Post " data-width="500" data-show-text="true" data-lazy="true">
Facebook Post " class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore">Facebook Post

Note that in the newscast cited by the OP nobody including the cyclist, lawyer or TV reporter ever stated that the car was a Lyft operated vehicle or even how they knew that it was a rideshare vehicle. This specific law firm specializes in going after rideshare companies so they do make for a handy target for publicity purposes when the actual culprit is not known.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 10-16-21 at 07:35 AM.
Old 10-16-21, 11:45 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
That's pretty much what I would have expected to see from a wider angle.

I think those cadence sensing ebikes are more of a hazard than if they had an actual throttle. People just put it on the highest setting and spin the cranks so the motor puts out full power all the time. At least if there was a throttle people could ease off a little and slow down without having to change the power setting or hit the brakes.
Old 10-16-21, 01:37 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18351 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
On my computer the Facebook video posted on the LegalRideShare site stalls out at 13 seconds of the 56 sec video, but the first 13 seconds makes clear the car did not come out of nowhere and the cyclist did not appear to alter direction or slow down at all.
https://www.facebook.com/LegalRidesh...14944536926697
Thanks for the wider area video. If only it had started a few seconds earlier. The cyclist appears to be more or less keeping up with the pace of the car, but at a reasonable 50 yards back.

The car is clearly visible before the rider arrives, and should have been visible for quite some time.

The door may well have been teleported from space.

And, that is the issue with the dooring incidents. By failing to react to the car, the cyclist put himself in a place going too fast in a restricted area when the door popped open.
Old 10-16-21, 04:45 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Oh oh someone will not like that vid.

That is exactly what I saw from the other vid but this view is way better.

Thanks for posting it.
Old 10-17-21, 09:04 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
Other than leaving the scene of an accident, I didn't see anything illegal. Cars are allowed to pull over and let people out.
If you didn't see anything illegal, it's because you don't know the law. There is a section of the Municipal Code Of Chicago which deals with opening a door into a traffic space:9-80-035 Opening and closing vehicle doors.
No person shall open the door of a vehicle on the side available to moving traffic unless and until it is reasonably safe to do so, and can be done without interfering with the movement of other traffic, nor shall any person leave a door open on the side of a vehicle available to moving traffic for a period of time longer than necessary to load or unload passengers.

The reporter who researched the "Caught on Camera" piece linked above did not get the penalty right. See below, MCC 9-4-025 (c)2. Bolded for your reading pleasure. Note the fine.

9-4-025 Bicycle safety violation - Penalty
(a)
  1. Any person who violates subsection (e) or (f) of Section 9-16-020, subsection (c) of Section 9-36-010, or Section 9-40-060, of this Code, shall be subject to a fine of $150.00 for each offense.
  2. Any person who violates subsection (e) or (f) of Section 9-16-020, subsection (c) of Section 9-36-010, or Section 9-40-060, of this Code, when such violation causes a collision between a motor vehicle and a bicycle, shall be subject to a fine of $500.00 for each offense.
(b)
  1. Any person who violates Section 9-40-160 of this Code, when such violation interferes with the movement of a bicycle, shall be subject to a fine of $150.00 for each offense.
  2. Any person who violates Section 9-40-160 of this Code, when such violation causes a collision between a motor vehicle and a bicycle, shall be subject to a fine of $500.00 for each offense.
(c)
  1. Any person who violates Section 9-80-035 of this Code, when such violation interferes with the movement of a bicycle, shall be subject to a fine of $300.00 for each offense.
  2. Any person who violates Section 9-80-035 of this Code, when such violation causes a collision between a motor vehicle and a bicycle, shall be subject to a fine of $1,000.00 for each offense.
(Added Coun. J. 3-12-08, p. 22781, § 2; Amend Coun. J. 6-5-13, p. 54983, § 1)
Sources:
https://www.chicagobikelawfirm.com/p...l-in-one-place
https://willhaley.com/blog/chicago-bicycling/
https://codelibrary.amlegal.com/code...04#JD_9-80-035
Old 10-17-21, 09:32 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18351 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
No person shall open the door of a vehicle on the side available to moving traffic unless and until it is reasonably safe to do so, and can be done without interfering with the movement of other traffic.
The door was not opened into a traffic lane, nor a bike lane.

It was opened into a narrow buffer area marked as a door zone.

The law above doesn't apply.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 10-17-21, 10:15 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
If you didn't see anything illegal, it's because you don't know the law....
Thanks, Matlock. Let me know how it turns out.
Old 10-17-21, 10:22 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

The door was not opened into a traffic lane, nor a bike lane.

It was opened into a narrow buffer area marked as a door zone.

The law above doesn't apply.
More info on that specific location, there does not appear to be any no stopping signs posted, and in fact it appears to be marked as a taxi stand on weekend evenings, at least as of Aug 2019 when this Google Street view was recorded.

For those unaware of the difference between no stopping, no standing, and no parking below is a helpful guide from https://www.myparkingsign.com/MPS/No...-Stopping.aspx
Old 10-17-21, 10:34 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Chicago is a dangerous place to ride a bike.
The WORLD is a dangerous place to ride a bike, especially if you are inexperienced, tend to daydream, or think god is watching out for us. At best, it's a big mismatch of weight and size if we mess up. No matter who is at fault, the cyclist always loses.
Old 10-17-21, 02:24 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
The door was not opened into a traffic lane, nor a bike lane. It was opened into a narrow buffer area marked as a door zone. The law above doesn't apply.
The signage on Lincoln avenue is that of a "shared" lane, as described here: https://chi.streetsblog.org/2014/12/...venue-barrows/
The symbol for the shared lane is visible in the news report as well as on Google Maps (annotated image attached). You can also see it in a post just above ^^. I can't find the "official" language, but I believe a case can be made that this is a sort of bike lane and at least a certain amount of "due diligence" is required for safety reasons.
This probably is moot, as I have yet to see any enforcement of traffic laws affecting bicycles.

Thanks, Matlock. Let me know how it turns out.
Your sarcasm is duly noted.

Bicycle symbol implies that bikes are to be expected here.
Old 10-17-21, 04:56 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

The signage on Lincoln avenue is that of a "shared" lane, as described here: https://chi.streetsblog.org/2014/12/...venue-barrows/
The symbol for the shared lane is visible in the news report as well as on Google Maps (annotated image attached). You can also see it in a post just above ^^. I can't find the "official" language, but I believe a case can be made that this is a sort of bike lane and at least a certain amount of "due diligence" is required for safety reasons.
This probably is moot, as I have yet to see any enforcement of traffic laws affecting bicycles.

Your sarcasm is duly noted.
Bicycle symbol implies that bikes are to be expected here.
This "sort of bike lane" is a sharrow which does mean bicyles can be expected, but of course so is the collary, motor vehicles can be expected too. Most certainly any cyclist with a lick of experience or sense also can expect a vehicle slowing down and coming to a stop while pulling over to the right as seen in the video (and should have been seen by a sentient cyclist) will prepare for the high probability that a passenger will open a door. An oblivious bicyclst may suffer consequences that even a clever lawyer may not fix, let alone an oblivious lawyer with his own version of sort of bike lanes.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 10-17-21 at 05:57 PM.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 10-17-21, 05:20 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
The marked area to the left of the parked cars is a buffer zone. Cyclists are not supposed to be there because it is a buffer zone to protect cyclists from being DOORED! You have to look at the whole picture not just parts of it. Also no matter what you call it it is not a bike lane.

Last edited by Bmach; 10-17-21 at 05:23 PM.
Likes For Bmach:
Old 10-17-21, 05:41 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
When i see that symbol over there, to me, the whole lane counts as a bike lane.
Old 10-17-21, 07:56 PM
UniChris

Originally Posted by holytrousers
When i see that symbol over there, to me, the whole lane counts as a bike lane.
But also a car lane.

What it really means is you're not supposed to pass each other in that lane (it's used where there isn't room for that), but rather use it serially one after another, unless you can leave the shared lane to pass the other party.

"Bicycles may use entire lane" is a much clearer sign for these situations, and has the same actual meaning (or if you want to quibble, "sharrows" change "may" to "should" by directing cyclists to a position that is literally "taking the lane")

Last edited by UniChris; 10-17-21 at 08:00 PM.
Likes For UniChris:
Old 10-27-21, 12:02 PM
J Palmer Cass

Bikes: ICE Adventure, TSDZ2

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
As an aside, just because people who sell rides call it ride "sharing" doesn't mean we are supposed to follow suit. Same goes for calling bicycle renting bicycle sharing. We are free to speak plainly and thruthfully.

I feel better now.
Old 11-06-21, 10:51 AM
UniChris

Originally Posted by J Palmer Cass
As an aside, just because people who sell rides call it ride "sharing" doesn't mean we are supposed to follow suit. Same goes for calling bicycle renting bicycle sharing. We are free to speak plainly and thruthfully.
IMHO you've misidentified the euphemism.

It's not the "ride" that is being shared - that would be a carpool, which apart from stretching the term to a small side business of pool hire rides isn't what these services offer.

In contrast, bike sharing really is sharing the fleet of bikes.

But then so is "car sharing" - both in the comparable zipcar type business and in traditional car rental.
Old 11-07-21, 02:11 AM
Chistophe516

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Unfortunately, painting an outline of bike on the side of the street doesn't magically turn it into a bike lane.
This is the problem with any bike lane. Like the painted lines of a bike lane will keep a person safe.
Likes For Chistophe516:
Old 11-08-21, 05:47 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I haven't been "giving credit" to anyone's account other than to accept the reporting that the driver left the scene before police arrived.

As far as I know, double parking and stopping to unload while in a traffic lane are pretty much illegal everywhere, but thanks for the strange lecture.

At this point, I don't even recognize what it is you think you're answering, so I'm out.
Aww. You are out again?
After arguing with everyone didn’t you first announce that you were out back on page three?
Cya later, soon
Old 11-13-21, 10:57 PM
GhenghisKahn
OwainGyndwr

Bikes: 90 Fisher 3x7 hardtail, 2016 Reid 1x7 commuter, 2017 Viva 46x18 fixed gear, 93 2x8 Avanti Kona

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 43 Posts
Started cycle commuting in 87 from Peterson and Western to the Rand-McNally facility in Skokie. 14 miles rt. 2 evenings and Saturdays to The Old Town School Of Folk Music on Armitage where I taught bass and guitar. 10 miles rt. Then Sunday to church in Evanston. 16 miles rt. That doesn't include incidentals like grocery runs, etc. So, I was doing between 115-150 miles per week. The learning curve was steep and fast. The thing is that I'd go weeks without seeing another cyclist. Never got doored in the 5 years I was carfree. Kept my head on a swivel. Best years of my life. There were no bike lanes, no cycling activists, no funding, no study groups, no cycling advocacy clubs. It was the wild west. Law of the jungle. lol The only thing that happened was my gf got doored because she wasn't paying attention. Fractured 2 fingers. You have to approach traffic like you're in a herd of rhinos. They don't see you, they don't like you and they weigh 4000 lbs. That's the reality.

Last edited by GhenghisKahn; 11-13-21 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 11-29-21, 09:40 PM
SClaraPokeman

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
That the driver and passenger took off is infuriating. I can't believe that if the authorities were incentived that they couldn't identify these individuals. Video cameras abound; Lyft must have records of who was driving in that area that time of day; credit card charges should be able to narrow down who the passenger was.

That bicyclist seemed to be moving pretty fast--esp if that was not a e-bike. If the police wrote a report they would hold that against him (I know). I have to wonder if the Lyft had passed the bicyclist anytime previously. Drivers can adapt a attitude of once I pass a bicycle I can permanently forget about it.

My son lives in Seattle. He was going to college at UC Davis and rode a bike there. I have asked him not to get a bike in Seattle. The risks of big city biking just don't really feel worth it to me.
Old 02-03-22, 03:03 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Anyone read anything that updates this story? After the attorney for LegalRideShare went on the local news and made several statements about a Lyft vehicle being involved in a collision with his client on a bicycle (or possibly an e-bike) in a bike lane. The lawyer offered a $5,000 reward for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of two people in a ride share vehicle (Lyft?) responsible for landing a Lincoln Park cyclist in the hospital with severe facial injuries. There was much discussion on this thread about bike lanes and Lyft drivers and good cycling practice.

But since the initial publicity and press release back in early Oct initiated by LegalRideShare, I haven't seen anything more about it to include Google search and the quite active Facebook page for this law firm. LegalRideShare seems to specialize in suing and/or representing rideshare drivers, rideshare passengers, for their treatment of each other as well, and all sorts of actions and negative publicity about the rideshare companies themselves.

It certainly seems odd that this publicity seeking outfit has been unable to find any information about the alleged Lyft driver, even with a $5,000 offer.

Maybe the claim that a rideshare vehicle was involved was as accurate as ID'ing the collision location as a bike lane.

Anyone who is no longer interested in the outcome of this collision is welcome to not participate in this thread.
Old 02-03-22, 03:15 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Anyone read anything that updates this story? After the attorney for LegalRideShare went on the local news and made several statements about a Lyft vehicle being involved in a collision with his client on a bicycle (or possibly an e-bike) in a bike lane. The lawyer offered a $5,000 reward for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of two people in a ride share vehicle (Lyft?) responsible for landing a Lincoln Park cyclist in the hospital with severe facial injuries. There was much discussion on this thread about bike lanes and Lyft drivers and good cycling practice.

But since the initial publicity and press release back in early Oct initiated by LegalRideShare, I haven't seen anything more about it …

Anyone who is no longer interested in the outcome of this collision is welcome to not participate in this thread.
Thanks for the fact checking, like2bike…
I started this thread, so I feel obligated to participate, but I thought the story had died. “Swept under the rug” as the saying goes…

I have very little confidence that we’ll see a favorable resolution to this situation.

I kinda think the cyclist was going too fast, and it also would have been better if the driver had went into the bike lane and blocked it, and the cyclist should have passed on the left.

It’s messed up because it’s Chicago town and it’s backwards, because here in New York the bike lanes are on the left side of the street, so it’s easier to make eye contact with the driver.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.